• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

smp

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Portugues 2018
Norte 2022
Now that my planned walk on the Norte is 4 weeks away I am watching more closely as to where covid is heading. I have refundable tickets and am open to postponing to the fall.
I'm interested to hear from those currently walking as to how the covid climate is feeling.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been following the Covid and the Camino thread and will continue to. Thanks for the reminder. I will watch for the LIVE from the camino tag as well. Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now that my planned walk on the Norte is 4 weeks away I am watching more closely as to where covid is heading. I have refundable tickets and am open to postponing to the fall.
I'm interested to hear from those currently walking as to how the covid climate is feeling.
We’re on the Frances now. COVID hasn’t been much of an issue here. Spain still requires masks indoors, and some wear them outdoors too, especially in crowded areas, but life looks fully open so far. People have been gracious and welcoming. You can see a little bit of nervousness amongst some of the oldest adults when around the pilgrims, and we make sure to wear our masks, even when outside, in those towns, out of respect.

No issues over the passes month on C Portuguese or Finisterre/Muxia Built Local people often wear masks in the street and always inside. Social distancing is a little iffy. Mask mandate is being lifted at end of month. Things will be different then I feel.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What is required to get the QR code and are there any scheduled changes?

My wife is currently serving as a hospitalero at an albergue right as you cross into Spain from France. Covid is definitely active (Lourdes albergue closed currently due to it) and the opinion of the locals and pilgrims she has interacted with is that it’s almost unavoidable given the re-opening of society. Mask use and social distancing is sporadic.

Consider this as you walk and make decisions re: booster shots, masking, social interaction, etc. Folks are almost resigned to catching it. 😞

We are in Pamplona. Lots of mask wearing inside which is reassuring. The requirement is being lifted in a week though. Now that the weather is warming up we will be doing more eating outside. Nice that there are peregrinos but not so many that you are worried about being to close.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I finished Frances last week, and am still stuck in Spain because of a Positive Covid test! No one can tell me when I can get out of quarantine! If I was a Spanish worker I’d be fine, but the hospitals and clinics tell me there is “no protocol” pertaining to foreign travelers. The US embassy says I can travel if I were in Madrid, but they won’t let me fly from Santiago. Really ruined a great Camino!

I finished Frances last week, and am still stuck in Spain because of a Positive Covid test! No one can tell me when I can get out of quarantine! If I was a Spanish worker I’d be fine, but the hospitals and clinics tell me there is “no protocol” pertaining to foreign travelers. The US embassy says I can travel if I were in Madrid, but they won’t let me fly from Santiago. Really ruined a great Camino!
Have you contacted the Galician health authorities?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get another test.

Well, I was on the Camino Frances from Sarria & Santiago 4/3 - 4/9 and came down with COVID. I started feeling sick on the morning of the 9th and tested negative later that day. However, I started testing positive on the 11th. I've had both vaccine shots and the booster. I wear a mask indoors and in public spaces. I also had a bout with the original COVID in April of 2020. This time was NOTHING like the original COVID. I've been feeling like I have a really bad cold: sore throat, congestion, mild fever on & off, cough, tired... All that said, I doubt I picked it up on the Camino. There is no place that we went that was particularly crowded. However, I think I picked it up in Frankfurt am Main. We had a really long layover and decided to take the train into the City and it turns out the infection rate is really high there - 1 in 46.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I masked indoors, even just to use the facilities. Should have used more sanitizer!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What about sleeping in albergues? Seems like that is the most difficult situation. Breathing same air for 7-8 hours? I can’t imagine people wear masks to sleep. How does that work ? Or do pilgrims only stay in private rooms?

What about sleeping in albergues? Seems like that is the most difficult situation. Breathing same air for 7-8 hours? I can’t imagine people wear masks to sleep. How does that work ? Or do pilgrims only stay in private rooms?
Some do try to stay only in private rooms. Others stay in bunk rooms and there of course risks with that. People simply have to make their own decisions about the risks. Many put off walking and others do not.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I masked indoors, even just to use the facilities. Should have used more sanitizer!

it's rules all over the place and different everywhere - I left france for croatia and returned 4 weeks later to find a different world - masks inside to no masks - different in each place on the way - got to croatia and it was like 'what's covid' - on the return, the germans had a huge roadblock with even the mosquitos were wearing masks

whilst I was away frolicking - I had friends who went for a week to the cleanest country on earth - Switzerland and got covid - :) -------- since 2020 - just be prepared to be locked in locked up and locked down - even now - being rigid is opening one up for problems -it's wise to just cruise along and see what the future brings

the rules can change rapidly and even with set rules - sometimes local places have their own rules and also, individuals vary in how they apply or not apply the rules widely

flexibility is the key - along with a well skilled European shoulder shrug (and, for me - a tarp or tent in my bag - in case someone enters accommodation late and is a walking fully loaded petri dish - in which case - I'll pick up my kit and camp under a tree)

if spain is changing the rules next week - then, expect the behaviours and attitudes to change almost instantly

It looks like they just pay for the extended hotel
I was on the Camino Frances from Sarria & Santiago 4/3 - 4/9 and came down with COVID
People have occasionally asked about a situation where they have Covid while walking or when they test positive before returning to the USA and are therefore not allowed to fly.

Could you explain a bit if or what help you got from the Galician regional or local government in finding accommodation while you are infectious? We know about the Galician tourist insurance system that covers foreign tourists but not how it works in practice. Thanks. You are the first two forum members with actual recent experience of this in Galicia. (There may be more, of course, but they don’t post).

I’d also be curious to know whether a culture of doing a cheap self-test is being fostered when a pilgrim notices that s/he has cold symptoms.

Last edited:
The current rule of thumb for COVID isolation is five days. You didn't say when you tested positive or how long it's been, but you may be able to speed up your return home if you can contact your primary doctor and ask him/her to write you a letter (on letterhead, not just an email) attesting to the fact that you don't have symptoms and you are not contagious. S/he will require certain specific information which only you can provide, but if s/he can send that letter to you as an email attachment, you can print it out and show it to the authorities at the airport. Be prepared to fly, as that letter just might do the trick. Good luck!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can you take train or bus? Or do you have to stay in sanitgo? Are you still sick? Hope all works out ok

For me the Covid story is largely over! Yes the odd bit of mask wearing or showing a vaccine passport but for me I have largely confined it to history. I appreciate other people may feel differently!

Except that now you can't fly home, and you may have inadvertently passed it on to someone else who could have worse symptoms.
This is a tough one. I’m not going to test every time I get mild cold like symptoms. Especially with the current variant. And people can decide to get shots, get boosted, wear masks, social distance if they like. At some point we need to return to some sense of normal in my opinion. If you test positive then sure, isolate. Otherwise do what a reasonable person would do.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I currently have covid after walking from Astorga to Sarria. I definitely picked it up on the Camino. Many coughing pilgrims claiming it’s “just a cold” or the weather. I didn’t here of anyone testing, but I just bought myself one at the pharmacy and tested from a park bench. 😂 I am thrice vaccinated and careful. I even slept with a mask on in the OCebreiro xunta albergue. Most places are trying to be cautious but that place was a travesty. 80 full beds in one dormitory and zero ventilation. When I asked the hospitalera if we could open the other dorms to spread out due to covid she said it was against xunta regulation. At that point I was healthy but surrounded by unmasked coughers. If it’s important to you to not get covid, I recommend private rooms if you can afford it. I would also avoid shared kitchens/dining.

Attachments

• 5EBF6200-08DF-4BBE-8D71-B388B35B8D16.jpeg
    5EBF6200-08DF-4BBE-8D71-B388B35B8D16.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
This is a tough one. I’m not going to test every time I get mild cold like symptoms. Especially with the current variant. And people can decide to get shots, get boosted, wear masks, social distance if they like. At some point we need to return to some sense of normal in my opinion. If you test positive then sure, isolate. Otherwise do what a reasonable person would do.
Why not? It only costs 2.50 at a pharmacy and then you know and you can sleep with a mask or get a private room. There are a lot of older people walking right now.

This is a tough one. I’m not going to test every time I get mild cold like symptoms.

I will. As mentioned in the post above, tests are cheap and easy to use.

I currently have covid after walking from Astorga to Sarria. I definitely picked it up on the Camino. Many coughing pilgrims claiming it’s “just a cold” or the weather.

It's similar to those pilgrims who transport bedbugs along the Camino because they think that it was "just a mosquito bite."

I plan to be considerate to my fellow pilgrims in both regards, and take action if I have cold like symptoms, or any kind of bite.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why not? It only costs 2.50 at a pharmacy and then you know and you can sleep with a mask or get a private room. There are a lot of older people walking right now.
First the tests are not very accurate. Second I’m vaxed and have had Covid. I’m about as immune as you can get so I’m not worried about myself. If I were that worried my risk analysis would and probably should lead me to not hike. I do worry about others and will take reasonable precautions, mask where it’s required, hand sanitizer before entering a crowded place etc. I said if I tested positive I would isolate. I said I would do what a reasonable person would do which is if they have a cold they would get a private room. If they don’t then they aren’t being reasonable. Any part of that you disagree with or you consider unreasonable?

I will. As mentioned in the post above, tests are cheap and easy to use.

It's similar to those pilgrims who transport bedbugs along the Camino because they think that it was "just a mosquito bite."

I plan to be considerate to my fellow pilgrims in both regards, and take action if I have cold like symptoms, or any kind of bite.
What action are you taking if you have cold like symptoms? Are you saying you would get tested? If you test negative would you continue your hike?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But where did you sleep every night? In dorm rooms? Were you masked when you slept? (doubt it). Even with social distancing - sleeping in dorm rooms increases our risk. Hand sanitizer wouldn't have helped. Anyhow - hope you test negative soon so you can fly home! Or they give you the paperwork clearing you.

What action are you taking if you have cold like symptoms? Are you saying you would get tested? If you test negative would you continue your hike?
If any of us have ANY symptoms - we should get tested. And move to private rooms. It is sick people who don't test who are more likely to spread COVID. If the test is negative - and still symptomatic - I recommend testing again the next day. Why? I test people all the time for "cold symptoms" who test negative then positive a day or so later. Even if negative - best to wear a mask when sick. And again - if sick (even if negative) - should move to a private room until better.

If any of us have ANY symptoms - we should get tested. And move to private rooms. It is sick people who don't test who are more likely to spread COVID. If the test is negative - and still symptomatic - I recommend testing again the next day. Why? I test people all the time for "cold symptoms" who test negative then positive a day or so later. Even if negative - best to wear a mask when sick. And again - if sick (even if negative) - should move to a private room until better.
I think that’s where you and I differ just a bit. Of course I’ll isolate with a positive test. And of course if I feel like I have something I can spread to others that’s serious like a virus or stomach bug etc I would isolate. I think most reasonable people would do that. I’m probably not going to get a test if I have a line symptom like a runny nose by itself or a soar throat by itself. Especially now with the current variant and the ability for others to get a vax, boost and wear a mask and isolate if they choose. Is that a reasonable position or in your opinion?

The current rule of thumb for COVID isolation is five days. You didn't say when you tested positive or how long it's been, but you may be able to speed up your return home if you can contact your primary doctor and ask him/her to write you a letter (on letterhead, not just an email) attesting to the fact that you don't have symptoms and you are not contagious. S/he will require certain specific information which only you can provide, but if s/he can send that letter to you as an email attachment, you can print it out and show it to the authorities at the airport. Be prepared to fly, as that letter just might do the trick. Good luck!!
The doctor and several clinics told me that isolation for Spanish workers is 7 days, ok return to work on day 8. For travel by air, in Galicia it remains 10 days from positive test, ok to fly on day 11. Embassy said it varies by region, and Galicia never lowered from the original 11 day rule. I paid for a Letter of Recovery video exam, but did not need it once I tested negative.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m probably not going to get a test if I have a line symptom like a runny nose by itself or a soar throat by itself. Especially now with the current variant and the ability for others to get a vax, boost and wear a mask and isolate if they choose. Is that a reasonable position or in your opinion?
I cannot tell you what to do, I am not the Camino "COVID police". And believe me - I don't want that responsibility. I am sick of working with COVID - and I don't want to do so on my Camino (or on a Camino forum)- believe me! I go on a Camino *and research my Camino) to get away from COVID (not that I can really get away - but away from working with it!).

But - I will say - I have tested countless people with ONE symptoms - who test positive for COVID. Some have JUST a runny nose. Some JUST had a sore throat. Some JUST had a headache. And so on. It is a false assumption that you don't have COVID unless you have multiple symptoms. And these people who I test - many don't want to take a test and don't believe they have COVID, but they take a test because they aren't allowed to remain at work or school (or return to) with even 1 symptom unless they take a COVID test. And they are always shocked to realize they do have COVID. And those of us who are vaccinated and get COVID? We are more likely to have JUST 1 symptom. When I got COVID - I was vaccinated and boosted and I "JUST" had a sore throat.

Anyhow - I have no interest in arguing about when you should or shouldn't test. Or when you should or shouldn't stay in a private room. Just telling you my experience based on 2 years of working directly with COVID. But it would be my hope that the people around me would take a test if they have any symptoms, and if they are sick, I would hope they move to a private room so they don't get everyone sick. But that is me and my hope. I can't and won't try to control what others do. I certainly will do these things myself.

I cannot tell you what to do, I am not the Camino "COVID police". And believe me - I don't want that responsibility. I am sick of working with COVID - and I don't want to do so on my Camino (or on a Camino forum)- believe me! I go on a Camino *and research my Camino) to get away from COVID (not that I can really get away - but away from working with it!).

But - I will say - I have tested countless people with ONE symptoms - who test positive for COVID. Some have JUST a runny nose. Some JUST had a sore throat. Some JUST had a headache. And so on. It is a false assumption that you don't have COVID unless you have multiple symptoms. And these people who I test - many don't want to take a test and don't believe they have COVID, but they take a test because they aren't allowed to remain at work or school (or return to) with even 1 symptom unless they take a COVID test. And they are always shocked to realize they do have COVID. And those of us who are vaccinated and get COVID? We are more likely to have JUST 1 symptom. When I got COVID - I was vaccinated and boosted and I "JUST" had a sore throat.

Anyhow - I have no interest in arguing about when you should or shouldn't test. Or when you should or shouldn't stay in a private room. Just telling you my experience based on 2 years of working directly with COVID. But it would be my hope that the people around me would take a test if they have any symptoms, and if they are sick, I would hope they move to a private room so they don't get everyone sick. But that is me and my hope. I can't and won't try to control what others do. I certainly will do these things myself.
Great data thank you. I will consider that for sure. My only follow on question would be how many of those you tested you talked about with one symptom did not test positive for covid? Some? Most? Just curious what you experienced. Have two sisters who are nurses and have been on the front lines for this whole thing. I’ll ask them as well. Thanks again

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Great data thank you. I will consider that for sure. My only follow on question would be how many of those you tested you talked about with one symptom did not test positive for covid? Some? Most? Just curious what you experienced. Have two sisters who are nurses and have been on the front lines for this whole thing. I’ll ask them as well. Thanks again

I’ll add that as of 11 April Spain had a 20% positive test rate. Meaning for those that thought they needed to get tested 20% ended up being positive. Source below. By comparison the US is about 4%. That’s slightly higher than I expected for Spain and will take that into consideration. Thanks.

Lots don't test positive. But certainly enough do that I encourage people to at least get tested. Better to know for sure whether or not you have COVID than not test and be the person spreading it everywhere you go - especially if you plan to sleep in dorms. In private rooms it isn't as big of an issue. But in dorms - you have lots of people breathing all night in close enough proximity for it to create a problem. As for percentages - obviously when COVID is more prevalent - the rate of positivity will be higher than when COVID is between waves. And with Omicron specifically - we had lots of people test negative - then positive the following day. Didn't see that trend as much with earlier strains.

And right now the positivity rate is lower all over much of the world (certainly not all) - but as the Camino traffic moves into high gear and increasing numbers of pilgrims return - we must remain somewhat vigilant to prevent another surge.

Also - even last summer - those walking on the Camino in the same stages - we created our own "COVID family bubble". We were often way too close by COVID standards all the time when "hanging out" in bars, restaurants, and dorms. We distanced from others - but if one of us had gotten it - we were all at greater risk because we were often together.

Anyhow - just food for thought! I want all of us to enjoy the Camino and not end up testing positive - or worse - creating another wave of COVID for Spain.

Lots don't test positive. But certainly enough do that I encourage people to at least get tested. Better to know for sure whether or not you have COVID than not test and be the person spreading it everywhere you go - especially if you plan to sleep in dorms. In private rooms it isn't as big of an issue. But in dorms - you have lots of people breathing all night in close enough proximity for it to create a problem. As for percentages - obviously when COVID is more prevalent - the rate of positivity will be higher than when COVID is between waves. And with Omicron specifically - we had lots of people test negative - then positive the following day. Didn't see that trend as much with earlier strains.

And right now the positivity rate is lower all over much of the world (certainly not all) - but as the Camino traffic moves into high gear and increasing numbers of pilgrims return - we must remain somewhat vigilant to prevent another surge.

Also - even last summer - those walking on the Camino in the same stages - we created our own "COVID family bubble". We were often way too close by COVID standards all the time when "hanging out" in bars, restaurants, and dorms. We distanced from others - but if one of us had gotten it - we were all at greater risk because we were often together.

Anyhow - just food for thought! I want all of us to enjoy the Camino and not end up testing positive - or worse - creating another wave of COVID for Spain.
To me it’s about personal risk management. If you’re concerned about Covid, walk by yourself and stay at private accommodations. If you’re very concerned you probably need to stay at home. The percentages say you will be absolutely fine, especially with the current variant and vax available but we each have our own tolerance on risk. The only problem with that is if people are using bad data to formulate their risk assessment.

€149,-
personal risk management
This sounds like a discussion about a topic from a different age. It’s odd to see this reappear, here and in the thread about masking rules in Spain.

Fact is: You must have a test before your flight back to the USA. And if you test positive you cannot fly back to the USA. The majority of pilgrims don’t have this issue because they don’t have to take a test before their return to their country.

And the hope is: That other pilgrims when they have symptoms like a sore throat or a runny nose or similar while walking would do a cheap voluntary self-test, and then stay away from everybody and stop walking as long as necessary. That would not only manage my risk and the risk of other pilgrim walkers and locals, it would actually lower it. But we’ve heard already that there is apparently no such culture among Camino pilgrims. One can call this personal risk management but I would call it something else, and I’m too polite to type it here.

Last edited:
To me it’s about personal risk management. If you’re concerned about Covid, walk by yourself and stay at private accommodations. If you’re very concerned you probably need to stay at home. The percentages say you will be absolutely fine, especially with the current variant and vax available but we each have our own tolerance on risk. The only problem with that is if people are using bad data to formulate their risk assessment.
It is attitudes like this that keep COVID a problem. The only thing I have suggested is that if you are sick - you get tested and if you are sick - you move to a private room. What about that is wrong? If you can't take these 2 steps, I pray you are not in a dorm room with me or the many others who are walking the Camino with you who are trying to do so safely. Because people who are sick and unwilling to test and unwilling to move to a private room don't belong in a dorm room. These are the people who cause disease to spread. Not just COVID - all communicable disease. Again - the key word I am using is SICK, I am not referring to healthy and asymptomatic individuals who have not be diagnosed with COVID.

Got Covid positive on Camino and slept in dormitory. Felt bit running nose past 2 days. Then had sense of fever and little cough. Went to alberga reception and they escorted me to local 24h open health station. They made quickest and result was clear and fast positive.

I have 3x shots. Last one in January - so should still have some help.Vomiting, diarrhea, coldshivers on night. But now feeling ok.

Got moved to a isolation hotel. 22 eur per night + 45 eur meals brought to room. I have whole floor just for my self.

Excellent service from people is Spain. No questions asked but the issue solved. Thank you.

Only weird event was that I was not allowed to tell to people in dormitory about covid pos. Not to scare and panic the. I wonder if this is necessary. Covid is and will remain among us.

Hoping to get back to camino in few days. I will take it slowly. Hearth issues are the biggest danger.

I head that one Camino friend had vomiting last night as well (although we have walked together 5 days ago). My bet would be covid. He gets him self tested as well.

Thank you Camino people. I feel secure and I am in good hands.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Got Covid positive on Camino and slept in dormitory. Felt bit running nose past 2 days. Then had sense of fever and little cough. Went to alberga reception and they escorted me to local 24h open health station. They made quickest and result was clear and fast positive.

Thank you Camino people. I feel secure and I am in good hands.
Glad Spain is taking care of you! And feel better soon! Hmm... don't like that they aren't telling people who were in the dorm with you - but then again - they probably don't want to create a panic. Worth noting to others - started for 2 days with a bit of a running nose - I find this to be a common story.

@huima, first of all: Get better soon!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. This is what numerous posters want to hear about: What happens when I get ill with Covid-19 on Camino in Spain? It is good to hear that you got help with finding a hotel room where you isolate and that the health service functions as promised and as announced. Would you mind telling which region you are in (Castilla y Leon, Galicia, other)? I'm just curious. You may know that the health services are organised on a regional basis in Spain.

I guess it was the owner or hospitalero of the albergue who asked you not to mention to others that you are infected and presumably infectious? That is not how it ought to be done but, on the other hand, nothing surprises me anymore.

Your experience - 3 shots with the last one in January and still getting ill with Covid-19 - is an experience that you share with many others. I hope that the thought is a comfort to you (and others) that in all likelihood you did not get as ill as you might have otherwise and that you presumably also lowered (not eliminated) the risk of infecting others. But that is just a thought, not an invitation to a major discussion.

Again, thank you for sharing and a Buen Camino continuation, hopefully soon.

PS: I guess that you are not yet in Galicia as you are paying for your hotel room ...

. Would you mind telling which region you are in (Castilla y Leon, Galicia, other)? I'

I am in Carrion de Los Condes. Started on SJPP on 4/4. 13th day on Camino.

My travel insurance covers the isolation cost in any case. And cost small. I would not worry about them.

Back to camino and slow enough is my priority. Flying back on May 13th so I have time.

€83,-
My experience in past days. In every dormitory 1 - 3 people cough. That should not happen. Only health people should be in alberga dormitories.

I wonder what cold be a good way to handle this? This has potential to make albergued into covid places. And even endanger the whole concept....

My experience in past days. In every dormitory 1 - 3 people cough. That should not happen. Only health people should be in alberga dormitories.

I wonder what cold be a good way to handle this? This has potential to make albergued into covid places. And even endanger the whole concept....
tent

here's the reality -- there's a heap of Covid about - that's just fact

as the summer moves on and people congregate in large groups - including dormitory sleeping -

lots and lots and lots of people are going to catch Covid --- symptom free or not

here's the story - if your country says that you are to have a test before coming home - then, there's a pretty reasonable chance that you will test positive - even if you feel fine

the point is - one needs to prepare for such an event ---- if your world falls apart because you have a positive test before you fly -

then, the news is - we are still in a pandemic and you actually need to plan in flexibility

there's also a war on as well - which needs to be kept in the back of one's mind

these are NOT normal times

I would reserve one dormitory for people who cough. I assume this would be a nice Message that now it is time to cosider other sleeping places.

If you cough just take your stuff and go to cough-dormitory.

I would reserve one dormitory for people who cough. I assume this would be a nice Message that now it is time to cosider other sleeping places.

If you cough just take your stuff and go to cough-dormitory.

the problem is that one cannot control others

that may well be a practice that one practices for oneself - but, no everyone will do that - indeed, humans are quite irresponsible creatures - note the amount of people one finds disease ridden in the workplace - coughing, sneezing, spreading snot everywhere - and, they get to work by public transport -

they feel 'it's just a cold' or 'it's just the flu' - they don't even mind visiting gran on the weekend, or letting the kiddies full of snot go and see gran

we take airborne diseases very lightly, I'm afraid

in a pandemic with rules changing regularly - for international travel -- easy - plan in flexibility

each to his own - for me, a tent or tarp - gives that individual flexibility if I find a room full of walking petri dishes (and of course, changeable dates for transport tickets)

I wonder what could be a good way to handle this? This has potential to make albergue into Covid places. And even endanger the whole concept....
I don't expect anything to change, other than on a voluntary basis, and I am not holding my breath.

All the public health measures in the past had one major aim: keep society going the way we are used to, which means that hospitals can cope and that there are enough people - teachers, police, fire brigade, train and bus drivers etc etc - who are not all on sick leave at the same time so that things are kept going. That has been achieved, at least in Spain and the other European countries, and the expectation is that it is unlikely to change significantly before fall if at all. I don't think, and I did not have this impression in the past, that Camino albergues and their dormitories figure particularly high on the agenda in these overall plans.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As to the old discussion of individual freedom versus sense of solidarity that is apparently still smouldering ... Does anyone even have enough energy and oxygen left to blow into the embers to rekindle the flame and the heat of such discussion threads?

that may well be a practice that one practices for oneself - but, no everyone will do that - indeed, humans are quite irresponsible creatures
We know by now that not everyone participates in common public health practices that are either recommended or prescribed ... We also know that there can be enough people who participate to make such efforts worthwhile. That is and was good enough to make a big difference.

Really there are only 2 ways to do this. 1) require guests to test to stay or 2) prescreen your guests for symptoms - and not allow symptomatic people check in. But both of these options would require putting the burden of screening pilgrims on the people who run the albergues - and quite honestly - I am sure that they do not want to take on that burden. And who can blame them? That would require them to to police their own guests. Not a fun position to be in.

So - in lieu of that - it is up to up Pilgrims, to do our part - to assess our own health and determine whether or not we are healthy vs sick. If we are sick - remove ourselves from a group setting and to take a test. If we are positive - to isolate in a private room. And I thank you - because you did just that!

It is attitudes like this that keep COVID a problem. The only thing I have suggested is that if you are sick - you get tested and if you are sick - you move to a private room. What about that is wrong? If you can't take these 2 steps, I pray you are not in a dorm room with me or the many others who are walking the Camino with you who are trying to do so safely. Because people who are sick and unwilling to test and unwilling to move to a private room don't belong in a dorm room. These are the people who cause disease to spread. Not just COVID - all communicable disease. Again - the key word I am using is SICK, I am not referring to healthy and asymptomatic individuals who have not be diagnosed with COVID.
I said the exact same thing above. If you are sick get a test and if you are positive isolate. Why are you talking to me like this? Maybe take the time to read before you attack.

But while I’m here your risk tolerance is different than mine. You are responsible for yourself not me and Vice versa.

Pilgrims have coughed and congregated in the same places for a 1000 years. In the years leading up to Covid we still did it. If someone was truly sick then they would usually find a separate room or place to stay. That’s common sense. I get it that you work in medicine and have seen a lot but the current variant of Covid combined with the ability to vax if you want and isolate if you want makes this less of a risk than you are making it out to be. If you’re worried about it stay in a private room and walk alone. If you’re really worried about it don’t walk. The time of people dictating what others should do in response to Covid is over.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The time of people dictating what others should do in response to Covid is over.
"People" were not dictating anything in Spain. The national and regional health authorities of Spain took public health measures and Spanish citizens as well as foreign tourists, who have visited Spain in their thousands since March 2020, complied. Mostly.

The same authorities also issued recommendations, and as far as I know, those who run albergues for Camino pilgrims, whether volunteers, business owners, parishes or town administrations, put these recommendations into practice.

Buen Camino!

I think that’s where you and I differ just a bit. Of course I’ll isolate with a positive test. And of course if I feel like I have something I can spread to others that’s serious like a virus or stomach bug etc I would isolate. I think most reasonable people would do that. I’m probably not going to get a test if I have a line symptom like a runny nose by itself or a soar throat by itself. Especially now with the current variant and the ability for others to get a vax, boost and wear a mask and isolate if they choose. Is that a reasonable position or in your opinion?
I said the exact same thing above. If you are sick get a test and if you are positive isolate. Why are you talking to me like this? Maybe take the time to read before you attack.

But while I’m here your risk tolerance is different than mine. You are responsible for yourself not me and Vice versa.

Pilgrims have coughed and congregated in the same places for a 1000 years. In the years leading up to Covid we still did it. If someone was truly sick then they would usually find a separate room or place to stay. That’s common sense. I get it that you work in medicine and have seen a lot but the current variant of Covid combined with the ability to vax if you want and isolate if you want makes this less of a risk than you are making it out to be. If you’re worried about it stay in a private room and walk alone. If you’re really worried about it don’t walk. The time of people dictating what others should do in response to Covid is over.
Actually - you have contradicted yourself. You have said that if you are sick and test positive, you will isolate, but you have also said "I’m probably not going to get a test if I have a line symptom like a runny nose by itself or a soar throat by itself." which tells me you might not even test if you are sick. And if you don't feel you are "sick enough" to test - you won't isolate. So you might be symptomatic and you might have COVID - but you will remain in a dorm room. Or that sore throat might be strep throat - but you will remain in a dorm room.

And yes - pilgrims have coughed and congregated in the same places for 1000 years - doesn't mean that is a practice that should be happening or should continue. Sick is sick.

Not an attack. And I have weighed risks and I decided to walk last year and I have decided to walk again this year. Oh well... moving along...

Bummer, oh well. In 2021, Peregrinos I met on both the Norte and Frances were not so concerned. About 1/8 of the young ones denied it was real even. I am a “hoteligrino” however, so most of my interactions with fellow travelers were on the way, rather than at sleep in some dorm. So my current excuse for staying in private accommodation is “I snore”. Strangely people accept that readily. This is instead of course for telling the Albergue people that they may be sleeping in a cess pool.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As to the old discussion of individual freedom versus sense of solidarity that is apparently still smouldering ... Does anyone even have enough energy and oxygen left to blow into the embers to rekindle the flame and the heat of such discussion threads?

We know by now that not everyone participates in common public health practices that are either recommended or prescribed ... We also know that there can be enough people who participate to make such efforts worthwhile. That is and was good enough to make a big difference.
I think the way you frame that (Individual freedom vs a sense of solidarity) doesn’t exactly describe it. I think I’d describe it as freedom vs safety and where you fall on that continuum. Meaning how far are you willing to go to sacrifice your liberty for a certain amount of safety. I think there are many who have received the shot or wear a mask etc. (me included) but would still argue for personal agency and freedom (meaning choice of how to respond to Covid individually). . They are willing to deal with some negative consequences to ultimately protect what is most sacred to them in society, Liberty. Looking at it quickly some would say, dude…it’s just a shot or a mask or a test…stop being an ass and do it. I get that completely (and I personally have done all those things) but you’d have to look a bit deeper and follow the logic train to it’s conclusion to really understand where those people resisting some of this are coming from. Doesn’t mean it’s right. I’m not here to argue that, but it is their perspective. They are willing to give up their safety and security to preserve personal liberty.

The others are simply people who judge Covid to not be a real threat. Why? Who knows. Maybe they’re healthy, maybe they’ve already had it and are vaxed so they have supposed “super immunity”. Doesn’t really matter. That’s what they choose so it’s now our reality as hikers on the Way.

I appreciate the discussion. Good to see different views. Even if we disagree with them.

Actually - you have contradicted yourself. You have said that if you are sick and test positive, you will isolate, but you have also said "I’m probably not going to get a test if I have a line symptom like a runny nose by itself or a soar throat by itself." which tells me you might not even test if you are sick. And if you don't feel you are "sick enough" to test - you won't isolate. So you might be symptomatic and you might have COVID - but you will remain in a dorm room. Or that sore throat might be strep throat - but you will remain in a dorm room.

And yes - pilgrims have coughed and congregated in the same places for 1000 years - doesn't mean that is a practice that should be happening or should continue. Sick is sick.

Not an attack. And I have weighed risks and I decided to walk last year and I have decided to walk again this year. Oh well... moving along...
Not a contradiction, it’s a balanced decision. A lone runny nose or a cough could be a 100 things. There’s an 80% chance that it’s something else (source above). I’m not going to stop my life for every little thing that happens. Just not going to do it. So to me and my risk analysis based on the current Covid strain which extremely mild I’m gonna keep going. If I feel like I’m actually getting sick I’ll isolate (regardless of Covid) and I would get a test. Simple as that.

Ultimately everyone who is walking the Camino is responsible for themselves. If you’re walking you’ve already decided the risk is worth the reward. We can talk about grey areas all you want and I’m perfectly happy to do that but in the end that’s the bottom line.

I think I’d describe it as freedom vs safety and where you fall on that continuum. Meaning how far are you willing to go to sacrifice your liberty for a certain amount of safety. I think there are many who have received the shot or wear a mask etc. (me included) but would still argue for personal agency and freedom (meaning choice of how to respond to Covid individually).
I see that you like to discuss this. I must tell you that I regard this discussion as largely over here in Europe and in the various EU countries. We accept that opinions barely change anymore along the vast scale of opinions. Do you have any plans to go to Spain this year? We here on the forum are always interested in current and up to date reports from the Camino trails in Spain, France and Portugal.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
"People" were not dictating anything in Spain. The national and regional health authorities of Spain took public health measures and Spanish citizens as well as foreign tourists, who have visited Spain in their thousands since March 2020, complied. Mostly.

The same authorities also issued recommendations, and as far as I know, those who run albergues for Camino pilgrims, whether volunteers, business owners, parishes or town administrations, put these recommendations into practice.

Buen Camino!
People were not dictating anything? Were mask required in public places? If you’d like I can post restrictions that were set in place in the past. France as well. Same for Italy and many parts of Europe. I was more responding to the person above who was saying healthy people should stay here and people who are sick should stay there etc.. While from a common sense standpoint that makes perfect sense and I’ll be doing that, we need to be careful about dictating to others. That line can get gray real quick and history proves that.

I see that you like to discuss this. I must tell you that I regard this discussion as largely over here in Europe and in the various EU countries. We accept that opinions barely change anymore along the vast scale of opinions. Do you have any plans to go to Spain this year? We here on the forum are always interested in current and up to date reports from the Camino trails in Spain, France and Portugal.
Unfortunately not this year. I’m hiking the TMB in France and Italy this summer. I’m doing the Camino next year when I retire . Very excited!

If you’d like I can post restrictions that were set in place in the past.
Please don't.

I’m hiking the TMB in France and Italy this summer.
We are not going to meet then. I hiked the Tour du Mont Blanc many years ago. I intend to go for a bit of Camino walking in Spain this year though which is why I am interested in this thread because like the first poster I'm interested to hear from those currently walking in Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Please don't.

We are not going to meet then. I hiked the Tour du Mont Blanc many years ago. I intend to go for a bit of Camino walking in Spain this year though which is why I am interested in this thread because like the first poster I'm interested to hear from those currently walking in Spain.
Me to. Very interested in the current goings on as I’ll be on the Camino this time next year if all goes according to plan.

Thanks Kathar1a, my original question was information from pilgrims currently on the trail. I guess I did ask about the "covid climate" though :)
Thank you to all of those who act in everyones best interest and not only in what works for themselves.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very interested in the current goings on as I’ll be on the Camino this time next year if all goes according to plan.
BTW, @Sandy1, you don't know this because you don't travel to Spain and may make wrong assumptions but the fact is that everybody who travels from the USA to Spain today and in the next few days, had to register with the Spanish health authorities in order to get a QR code. Without that QR code, no flight to Spain and no Camino for them. They have made a pledge in order to obtain their QR code and they are reminded of their pledge when they receive their confirmation email (quote below - this is current as of today 18 April 2022).

Am I naive when I expect that foreign pilgrims in Spain will honour their pledge?

REMEMBER: If you travel to Spain, you hereby agree to carry out all measures and instructions indicated by the health authorities. You also undertake to comply with the hygienic-sanitary measures established by said authorities, which can be found on the website of the Spanish Ministry of Health. If during your stay in Spain you have acute symptoms compatible with COVID-19 (fever, shortness of breath, cough) stay at home or in your accommodation until the fever disappears or the symptoms improve. Wear a surgical mask to interact with others in the 10 days following symptom onset.
[Followed by list of phone numbers of regional health authorities to contact]​

BTW, @Sandy1, you don't know this because you don't travel to Spain and may make wrong assumptions but the fact is that everybody who travels from the USA to Spain today and in the next few days, had to register with the Spanish health authorities in order to get a QR code. Without that QR code, no flight to Spain and no Camino for them. They have made a pledge in order to obtain their QR code and they are reminded of their pledge when they receive their confirmation email (quote below - this is current as of today 18 April 2022).

Am I naive when I expect that foreign pilgrims in Spain will honour their pledge?

REMEMBER: If you travel to Spain, you hereby agree to carry out all measures and instructions indicated by the health authorities. You also undertake to comply with the hygienic-sanitary measures established by said authorities, which can be found on the website of the Spanish Ministry of Health. If during your stay in Spain you have acute symptoms compatible with COVID-19 (fever, shortness of breath, cough) stay at home or in your accommodation until the fever disappears or the symptoms improve. Wear a surgical mask to interact with others in the 10 days following symptom onset.

Sounds very reasonable to me. It’s exactly what I said I’d do or any reasonable person would do. I’d add that if people are experiencing the acute symptoms they talk about above (fever, shortness of breath and cough) they should also get Covid tested in order to let the people know they’ve traveled with of a possible exposure. This is not mandated by Spain but probably a good idea.

BTW, If you have mild symptoms the Spanish government now allows you to move around freely but encourages mask wear which makes perfect sense to me. Most cases of the current variant are mild for a number of reasons.

As for the QR codes. Who knows how long that will play out. I’ll guess they will be gone by this summer.

Sorry. I didn’t even answer your question

Which was : Am I naive when I expect that foreign pilgrims in Spain will honour their pledge?

I can’t speak to if you are naïve or not and I don’t have any first hand experience right now if foreign pilgrims are honoring their pledge. Anecdotal evidence on this forum and others like Facebook suggests it’s a mixed bag. Hopefully that changes. When you are in another country you play by their rules. Like you would as a guest at another’s house. It’s their house and their rules. You always have the option to go somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Geez. I’m on the Camino now. I have not seen a lot of coughing pilgrims but last night at dinner someone told me that she knew of two pilgrims in isolation currently due to Covid. This is the first time I heard it mentioned. Crowds have definitely increased in the last week.

I agree that albergues are a hot spot but no one has mentioned the bars. I’ve seen loads of extremely crowded bars in the last week. Add in alcohol and you’ve got both locals and pilgrims in a situation where they may not be making the wisest decisions.

This is just my opinion, but from what I have seen in the last few weeks, I don’t have a lot of confidence in the pilgrims to do the right thing. I think the albergue owners agree, as I see them being the most vigilant mask wearers.

I had the covid pos 2 days back on Camino. Now I am fine. Went (with mask) to alberga which I left when tested. I was surprised that they measured body temps with infrared device when checking in.

Also told my story to alberga facility - especially strong stomach symptoms. They told that they even currently have one guy vomiting in alberga. Discussed that toilets migth be good to be cleaned quite often. And pilgrims could benefit from using masks in toilets. Vomiting is without Covid a reason to stay out of Alberga - I think.

I have had supergood care in this facility. Super good. Full isolation etc. Will hit canimo tomorrow. Stay in private rooms for 2 more nights. Then it makes 7 days from symptoms start and 5 days from pos test. Should be enough.

Geez. I’m on the Camino now. I have not seen a lot of coughing pilgrims but last night at dinner someone told me that she knew of two pilgrims in isolation currently due to Covid. This is the first time I heard it mentioned. Crowds have definitely increased in the last week.

I agree that albergues are a hot spot but no one has mentioned the bars. I’ve seen loads of extremely crowded bars in the last week. Add in alcohol and you’ve got both locals and pilgrims in a situation where they may not be making the wisest decisions.

This is just my opinion, but from what I have seen in the last few weeks, I don’t have a lot of confidence in the pilgrims to do the right thing. I think the albergue owners agree, as I see them being the most vigilant mask wearers.
Yes, bars are a problem too! I tried to at least stay outside at most bars, and will make even more of an effort to do that this year. And last year I was fortunate because there were only about 30 of us walking the same stages - so we all knew everyone and had fairly consistent groups we were hanging out with - until after Leon. It was always the same groups in albergues and bars (about half of us actually hung out - the other half were doing their own things - I was in the somewhere middle lol). We also knew everyone's vaccination status lol. I can't imagine it will be that easy this year!

Sadly - everyone wants to go back to normal, which I get (I want normal too) - but in albergues, and as you pointed out - in bars - there needs to be a new normal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, bars are a problem too! I tried to at least stay outside at most bars, and will make even more of an effort to do that this year. And last year I was fortunate because there were only about 30 of us walking the same stages - so we all knew everyone and had fairly consistent groups we were hanging out with - until after Leon. It was always the same groups in albergues and bars (about half of us actually hung out - the other half were doing their own things - I was in the somewhere middle lol). We also knew everyone's vaccination status lol. I can't imagine it will be that easy this year!

Sadly - everyone wants to go back to normal, which I get (I want normal too) - but in albergues, and as you pointed out - in bars - there needs to be a new normal.
When the mask mandate is lifted shortly they should just leave it up to the owners of the establishment. If they require masks, and folks don’t agree, they can go elsewhere. And vice-versa. People can manage their own risk and go where they feel it’s safe for them.

Anyway as far as real time stuff for the Camino. Masks now no longer required on US flights for the time being. Same for going through TSA at airports. Just a heads up to folks

When the mask mandate is lifted shortly they should just leave it up to the owners of the establishment. If they require masks, and folks don’t agree, they can go elsewhere. And vice-versa. People can manage their own risk and go where they feel it’s safe for them.

Anyway as far as real time stuff for the Camino. Masks now no longer required on US flights for the time being. Same for going through TSA at airports. Just a heads up to folks
Ah, have they implemented the court judgment already then? I heard that the CDC rule was struck down just today but wasn't aware they had already started implementing the ruling.

Anyone know what the deal is with 'covid passports'? As far as I can see from Spanish websites they are no longer required anywhere but it would be good to know if albergues etc... are asking for them anyway. I don't have, and won't be getting a booster (and no I'm not going to have a discussion on that), so I can't stay in places that demand one due to the 270 day limit on the covid vaccine.

Ah, have they implemented the court judgment already then? I heard that the CDC rule was struck down just today but wasn't aware they had already started implementing the ruling.

Anyone know what the deal is with 'covid passports'? As far as I can see from Spanish websites they are no longer required anywhere but it would be good to know if albergues etc... are asking for them anyway. I don't have, and won't be getting a booster (and no I'm not going to have a discussion on that), so I can't stay in places that demand one due to the 270 day limit on the covid vaccine.
As an alternative to the 270 day rule you can also show a negative test.

The ruling is now implemented. I work for a major airline and mine and others have just announced it that it’s no longer required!

Good luck to you on your trip. I’m jealous. Don’t start until next April

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As an alternative to the 270 day rule you can also show a negative test.

The ruling is now implemented. I work for a major airline and mine and others have just announced it that it’s no longer required!

Good luck to you on your trip. I’m jealous. Don’t start until next April
True, but the chances of me getting one every 48 hours are nil aha. I think as far as I know it's lifted everywhere...

Happy to hear that they are implementing the ruling, surprised no one has appealed but suppose it probably makes political sense to have a judge take the flack for the decision. Thanks for the info!

According to Travel Safe Spain

If you are travelling from the US, to enter Spain you must show a vaccination or a recovery certificate or be in one of the situations pointed out here

a) Ordinary residents of the European Union, Schengen Associated States, Andorra, Monaco, The Vatican (Holy See) or San Marino who go to that country, providing documentary proof of it.
b) Holders of a long-stay visa issued by a Member State or Schengen Associated State who are heading to that country.
c) Health professionals, including health researchers, and elderly care professionals who are going to or returning from their work activity.
d) Transport personnel, seafarers and aeronautical personnel necessary to carry out air transport activities.
e) Diplomatic and consular personnel, of international organizations, military, civil protection and members of humanitarian organizations, in the exercise of their functions.
f) Students who carry out their studies in the Member States or Schengen Associated States and who have the corresponding permit or visa and medical insurance, provided that they go to the country where they are studying, and that the entry occurs during the academic year or the 15 days prior.
g) Highly qualified workers whose work is necessary and cannot be postponed or carried out remotely, including participants in high-level sports events that take place in Spain. These circumstances must be justified by documentary evidence.
h) Persons traveling for duly accredited imperative family reasons.
i) People who document reasons of force majeure or need, or whose entry is allowed for humanitarian reasons.

In other words, if you are traveling for the Camino you need to be vaccinated, not just have a negative test.

Thanks Kathar1a, my original question was information from pilgrims currently on the trail. I guess I did ask about the "covid climate" though :)
Thank you to all of those who act in everyones best interest and not only in what works for themselves.
The OP - @smp - asked an innocent question about what current walkers are finding. @smp has been directly to the LIVE threads for those accounts.

This thread has an very general title and has been overtaken by as an opportunity to discuss the "covid climate". However, the forum is not the place to get into, or editorialize on, what Covid policies should be implemented in various places, or to give your opinion on what you think of potential or actual policies.

@trecile has posted an official link and some information that is relevant to people walking the camino in the near future. With that, the thread will be closed!

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.