• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crazy to bring just a sleeping bag liner in March?

lionheartwright

We are walking 8-March-2012 from Sarria to Santiago, and I am only bringing a sleeping bag liner and planning to borrow blankets at the albergues. Is this crazy?

I am trying to keep the pack size small enough to carry on without checking the bag and I can buy a blanket there if all else fails.

Any suggestions?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not crazy...but dependent on a few things:

1. Weather/temps 2. If the albergue has blankets 3. What you can typically accept as far as thermal conditions go to remain comfortable.

Here's what I've found on many cold weather events: If my toes and nose are cold...I'm cold. So, wearing socks in the liner can help. A sock on your nose looks funny. If you have a poncho, it makes a good vapor barrier and will retain some body heat. The problem...if the air temp is too cold...this can cause the liner to become damp...thus you get cold.

Arn

I had a sleeping bag in march 2008 when I walked but my friend who met me in Fromista (in late March) and walked from there only brought a liner and was able to use blankets in all of the albergues where we stayed. I think in winter MOST places have blankets.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
lionheartwright said:
We are walking 8-March-2012 from Sarria to Santiago, and I am only bringing a sleeping bag liner and planning to borrow blankets at the albergues. Is this crazy?

I am trying to keep the pack size small enough to carry on without checking the bag and I can buy a blanket there if all else fails.

Any suggestions?
You might want to look at this packing list from one of the other forum members, Sojourner47 -->> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/equipment-questions/topic5018.html#p64294.

I recently did a talk to a local group on packing for the Camino, and did trial packs of several lists, including Sojourner47's list and that on the CSJ website, to give the audience a practical appreciation of what is possible.

Sojourner47's easily packed into a Kathmandu Canetoad (~35li) that I have used as carry on baggage. It was a little tighter in a Salewa Summit 30 (notionally 30li), which I have also used as carry on luggage, but wouldn't have as much room for a food bag compared to the Canetoad.

Packed in either pack, the total is within the airline carry on weight limits, and that is with a slightly larger sleeping bag than Sojourner47 was using.

I think this list has some limitations, particularly for longer walks, but as you say, you can always make a few judicious purchases when you arrive.

Regards,

Regards,

Yes, you only have to get cold once, you don't sleep & then it's catch-up time........

My little yeti is coming on April 1st :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, crazy to just bring a sleeping bag liner in March....

Not all albergues have blankets. Those that do might run out before you get there and then what? We had this problem at the albergue in Sto Domingo de la Calzada in October 2011...we had blankets, but once they were gone, they were gone and there weren't enough for all the pilgrims.

I walked April/May 2010 and froze my rear off on a few occasions, with a sleeping bag. You should be able to find a 30 degree (F) bag that weighs less than 2 lbs....I have a Kelty Lightyear that weighs just over a pound and if I need to, I can go to just about freezing with it before I get cold. You can always add a blanket on top if you need to...

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.