• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cumulus V Enlightened bags and quilts?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello good people

When I walked the first time I took a silk liner and I was too cold so bought a bag enroute in Astorga. It's not the lightest bag (Hobson's choice at the time) but I took it again when I walked in April and it keeps me warm. But this time I'm looking to shave off some weight and I could lose 500kg by simply changing bags.

I've been reading many threads about light sleep systems and I think I've narrowed my choice down to two... and I wonder if anyone has , uses or would recommend one of the following? Also, has anyone washed one?

I've seen the Cumulus Magic 25 - which comes with a zip so I can open it a bit like a quilt and it's very light. http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categories/magic-125-zip-large?vid=1

And I've seen the Enlightened Prodigy - which also acts like a quilt only a few grams difference so equally light http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/

I like the idea of a quilt as I always end up unzipping the mummy bag and opening up rather than sleeping in it. I already have a silk liner so I'll take this along as well.

I'm not sure there's a great deal in the two products on paper, although the Cumulus is in Europe so shipping and taxes may be cheaper and easier... but if the Prodigy is better then I'd go with that.

All feedback, reviews and suggestions very welcome - many thanks in advance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I was doing my research, I saw some very good reviews of the Enlightened Quilts. I was going to get one of the lightest weight versions because I sleep warm. However, I ended up going with an inexpensive down travel blanket (and will carry a silk liner). I will add an albergue blanket if I need it and/or wear more layers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have the lightest (wide/long size) quilt enlightened equiptment has and love it to death. A real blanket style is so much more comfy than a mummy style bag + the quilt can be turned into a bag if gou want it to. Is awesome. I've had them add some extra buttons so it closes up more to the top if i want and some other custom features. They are very flexible, but remember, they do have a delivery time. Its not an "off the shelf" buy, its made by order and therefor you can tweak it a little....if you want. I've had them add a little hidden zippered pocket for me to put my phone or money in while sleeping.

Its a buy you wont regret

Just check out your cumulus link. Its a nice bag, good price and very light, but its still a mummy and if i read your posting right, you do what i do, always unzip your bag as far as possible and try to use it as a blanket and thats just the very reason why i went for the quilt and love it.....oh and its superlight and sooooooo comfy :) but your right, it is more expensive. For me it was worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks Dutch - I was kind of swayed towards the Cumulus because of the weight but I haven't been able to find much in the way of reviews on the product... and as you say it's still a mummy end bag. I've read lots of positive reviews for the EE quilt so perhaps it's worth paying the extra. I have plenty of time for the delivery so that's not a problem.

@nidarosa that looks great... but I'm really trying to pull down the weight... thinking of me knees :rolleyes:

@Seabird - I did think of a blanket... maybe I should look again? I never found any that were ultralight? I'll search again!

Many thanks for the ideas folks... it all helps!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Awesome! Freedom for the feet :) I'm sure your gonna be very happy with your EE quilt. Be sure to tell when you get him :)

I have the lightest (wide/long size) quilt enlightened equiptment has and love it to death. A real blanket style is so much more comfy than a mummy style bag + the quilt can be turned into a bag if gou want it to. Is awesome. I've had them add some extra buttons so it closes up more to the top if i want and some other custom features. They are very flexible, but remember, they do have a delivery time. Its not an "off the shelf" buy, its made by order and therefor you can tweak it a little....if you want. I've had them add a little hidden zippered pocket for me to put my phone or money in while sleeping.

@Dutch , I purchased a few weeks ago a quilt that I am hoping to have adapted for my next Camino. It's 60X70 inches and I am wondering what I should have done to it so it can be closed for colder days. I have been looking at the sizes on the Enlighten website and I think I should be ok considering I'n only 5'4".

I see you had snaps added to your Enligthenment... How far apart are they? And how far up do they come? That's what I was palnning on doing, so happyto hear I am not the only one who thought the little bows would not cut it.

Do you not feel a draft on the feet, or is the pull cord enough? Or is the quilt sewn up part of the way?

And where did you have the hidden pocket sewn so it would not interfere with your movement/sleep? Chest, knee high?

I look forward to any advice you may have for me.

I have the Enlightened Revelation quilt, which I'm going to use like a blanket on top of a silk liner. It's both very lightweight and very cozy. I wish I'd thought to have the pocket sewn in like Dutch did!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@Anemone del Camino

Hi Anemone,

I had them add 3 extra snap buttons devided over the part where there were no standard snaps. I believe standard they have first the zipper and then 1 snapbutton.
Now the buttons go up to about 30cm below the top.
It of course is not the same as being zippered up to the top, but if i wanted that, i would not have gone for something as lightweight as possible. Lightweight has its comfort, but also has its price (not only moneywise), but on the otherhand, having a blanket that can function as a sleepinbag, is comfortwise worth so much more than having a mummy sleepinbag that you want to try to have fuction as a blanket.

As for the mummy style footbox you can create when you zipper it up and use the drawstring, i have never found this to be drafty. It closes up real good with this cord. I do only use it when its cold, so on a sept camino thats not very often.

For the pocket, i just looked at what kind of a sleeper i am, back, side ect..and figured out where it would bother me the least. For me this was about 35cm from the top and 20cm from the side, on the left side.
I gave them the measurements of what i wanted to fit in there and they made it work. I tried to give them an exact measurement of where i wanted the blind zippered pocket to be placed, but that did not work exactly, because they need to place it in the middle of one baffle and not place it over several baffles.

Hope this info helps you a bit.

Hahhaha, so cool! Glad your happy. I hope you two will enjoy your camino together.

Snuggle up, i say :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
She arrived today! I love her already! The quilt is larger than I exected and feels lovely... I sat with it draped over me for a while until my son made me pack it away! It's 380gms... I'm a happy pilgrim! :D:D:D

I'm delighted that you're happy with it - I took the plunge and ordered one last week. I blame this thread for leading me into temptation :).

I liked all the choices about size, EXCEPT the moment when I had to measure my height to see if I needed short or extra short. It turns out that I am not 5'2", as I had always thought - I'm only 5"0" (at a stretch). Oh well.

(@LesBrass : I am actually sitting on the sofa now with my lightweight synthetic sleeping bag open over me like a quilt - in fact I use it a lot, because ... why not? I wouldn't tell normal people though but I thought I could admit to it here ...)

Hello good people

When I walked the first time I took a silk liner and I was too cold so bought a bag enroute in Astorga. It's not the lightest bag (Hobson's choice at the time) but I took it again when I walked in April and it keeps me warm. But this time I'm looking to shave off some weight and I could lose 500kg by simply changing bags.

I'm very impressed that you even managed to carry your old sleeping bag since it weighed 500kg!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
(@LesBrass : I am actually sitting on the sofa now with my lightweight synthetic sleeping bag open over me like a quilt - in fact I use it a lot, because ... why not? I wouldn't tell normal people though but I thought I could admit to it here ...)
I do that too - it was one of the reasons why I gave into temptation and bought the EE.
I also reckon it would be nice on a long haul flight. I suppose I will have to think about booking one to justify buying the quilt.....

I bought a EE Revelation quilt 20 degrees because I am a cold sleeper. I am now wondering if I should have bought the 50 degree quilt. I’m very warm sleeping with it at home and I worry that I will be too hot using it on the Camino during the summer. My question is this... What is the temperature inside the albergues? How cold does it get? I will be hiking the Camino mid/late June thru July.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm delighted that you're happy with it - I took the plunge and ordered one last week. I blame this thread for leading me into temptation :).

I liked all the choices about size, EXCEPT the moment when I had to measure my height to see if I needed short or extra short. It turns out that I am not 5'2", as I had always thought - I'm only 5"0" (at a stretch). Oh well.
Funny that... I used to be 5ft 2and a half inches...I think metric has done for us..

I was glad to have my Enlightened quilt walking the Frances mid-April to mid-May, but I sent it home after that since my silk liner was enough in albergues. I just put on leggings and a microfleece if it was a little chilly. (I'm also a cold sleeper.) Yes, many albergues do have blankets. I think that quilt you bought is probably more warmth than you need for the months you're walking.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.