• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Currently on the Norte - started 15 Sep

MikeJS

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo 2019
Started the Camino Norte from Biarritz and walked to Irun for the first day. Currently, staying in a small pension in Miono near Castro Urdiales. All gone well so far with just a little drizzle to dampen the path. I walked the Francis last year and so far have found the Norte more demanding - both in terms of climbs and finding accommodation. Have found the tourist info places invaluable and in fact the one in Deba was very helpful. They gave us a good map guide and an up to date accommodation guide. Many of the albergue de perigrinos are closed after mid sept so we have used pensions instead. The way has been mostly marked well although some towns and cities can be challenging. Especially, when they choose not to us a yellow arrow but a more upmarket shell on the ground or a posh silver sign. Clearly, there are also a number of alternative routes on the Norte which can be hard to find and awkward to choose between. It is a pity that there is not yet a comprehensive guide that inc all of the options and the albergues. 

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the post! I too have walked the Frances, I plan on walking this route in this summer. Keep posting!

CaminoJohn said:
Thanks for the post! I too have walked the Frances, I plan on walking this route in this summer. Keep posting!

Don't walk it in August; there are too many people, mostly young Spaniards, and the infrastructure isn't up to it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks AJ! I plan on walking in July!

Thanks for posting the link to your blog, I will enjoy reading it. Looks like you have posted some lovely pictures as well. I know you said that many albergues were closed, but I'm wondering what the crowds are like. I walked this route in 2006 or thereabouts, starting in early May, and it was just about the perfect number of people. Enough so there was some variety, but not so many that you felt overwhelmed. There weren't so many albergues back then, so we wound up staying in a lot of private places as well, but they were frequently very nice and not too expensive.

Hope the weather continues to cooperate, buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not lots of people at the moment. Some days we have seen none on the track. Today there are about 12 people in total in the albergue in Aviles. It was near the start when some were close and no problem since. Plus most pensions and similar have only been 30€ for two people and these were. Really nice places.

Por cierto, si no queréis partir la etapa en dos, os recomiendo dormir en el albergue de San Esteban de Pravia y al día siguiente ir por la senda costera.

By the way, if you split the stage in two, I recommend sleeping in the shelter of San Esteban de Pravia and the next day go to the coastal footpath.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Read your entry for the 7th October you went up the the old palancas(after Soto de Luina) route, it looks like they have re-opened it. I think it goes up to 710meters(maybe more).

A finales de agosto pasé en coche por la zona del pico Palancas y vi a un peregrino pasar en bicicleta. Tengo que ir a Soto de Luiña todos los días, mañana pregunto como está el camino.
Estas fotos las hice ese desde la ermita de San Roque, cerca de por donde pasa el camino.

In late August, I drove around the area of the peak Palancas and saw a pilgrim passing bicycle. I have to go to Soto de Luiña every day, morning and wonder is the way.
These photos I did this from the hermitage of San Roque, near where the road passes.

IMAG0288Medium.jpg

IMAG0292Medium.jpg

IMAG0291Medium.jpg

Y esto seguro que los conocéis los que os habéis alojado en Cadavedo.

And that's certainly know that you have stayed in Cadavedo.

IMAG0287Medium.jpg

Hi there
Enjoying both of these blogs on this Northern Route. We walked this camino 3 years ago so we have lots of memories of the path being interrrupted by major road works! so it was a challenge to find the path again! Just loved the Galicia part with wonderful AdPs and lovely countryside.
Regards Jill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Got to Santiago about 1130 17 Oct having walked the last two days in heavy rain. I replaced my 1€ ponchos for something more robust when I bought a replacement from an agricultural store for 10€ in O Podrouzo. Now just relaxing in SdC until my flight out tomorrow. Strangely, I seem to have a strong urge to put my pack on and go walking. I will summarise my thoughts on the Camino Norte once I get home and will publish them on my blog that is linked in a previous post. One thing - only 4 days with rain and only two of these were significant.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the responses re the blog. 3 weeks after i got back I was told I needed a hip replacement!

Hi Mike!

Thanks for posting. I'll hold onto this thread and follow your blog. I'm thinking of doing the same walk in January. Beginning at Saint Jean de Luz to Santiago de Compostela, then onto Fisterra and finally finishing in San Pedro de Visma.

Cheers & Best Regards!

Johnny

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.