• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling El Camino Norte

capeconway

Time of past OR future Camino
June 27 - July 6, 2019. El Camino Norte
My friend and I plan to cycle El Camino Norte beginning in San Sebastian. However, we only have a little more than a week so would like to transport ourselves and rented bikes along the route until we're about 200K from Santiago.
What is the best company from which to rent the bikes?
Is there a way to move the two of us with bikes and luggage from one location to the next where we'd like to cycle again?
Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, Bicigrino.com have looked after me on the Frances & Via la Plata with top of the range Specialized MTB’S.

It would help if you had some Spanish, but I had none & got on with them fine.

As for leapfrogging stages until the last 200k, I cannot suggest anything other than bussing it.

Perhaps some tour company can facilitate but I would imagine it would cost an arm & a leg.

Also consider how long it will take you to do the last 200k consider both your bike fitness & the terrain involved. If off-road do not underestimate the “flat” stages - you’ll do well to avg. more than 17k an hour off-road.

Buen Camino,
M

My friend and I plan to cycle El Camino Norte beginning in San Sebastian. However, we only have a little more than a week so would like to transport ourselves and rented bikes along the route until we're about 200K from Santiago.
What is the best company from which to rent the bikes?
Is there a way to move the two of us with bikes and luggage from one location to the next where we'd like to cycle again?
Thank you!
HI Cape.. I just saw your Facebook post on you Camino Del Norte trip back in June. Me and a friend of mine are planning to do the same trip in mid September. I was wondering if you could give us a heads up and recommendations. We have already done the Camino France’s last year from Bilbao to Santiago with a self guided tour so we fairly have an idea of how it works. However we have read that the Camino Del Norte is more demanding and challenging. We can tell that you started off from San Sebastian but it is not clear we’re you ended. Did you guys end in Santiago or did you continue all the way to the ocean. Can you please share your itinerary town by town and your thoughts on where to stay and what to see. In terms of bikes we both have 29er mountain bikes we used in our previous Camino trip. Any recommendation for tire size and grip? Which tire width did you use? On the other hand did you go through a tour operator for hotel reservation and guided GPS map? Or was it all self managed? Any recommendations? In our previous trip we went through a tour operator who managed hotels and Taxi transfers as well as an emergency contact phone. Hope to get some tips where to eat and visit. THANKS A MILLION FOR YOUR HELP CHEERS SHERIF

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back