• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

tenting allowed in Asturias areas? or in el norte generally...

dnickel135

Time of past OR future Camino
Jan 2024
I"m hiking mostly in Asturias, seaside. Is tenting allowed there.... by trail, or some park/forest areas? Very simple one person tent, and quick jet boil for food, no fires. Experienced packer here. That's just In case an Albergue isn't open....there may be long stretches without albergue or hotels. I know what the weather is, can handle that.

I noticed a youtbue video where the guy was sleeping in tents all the time on camino in portugal. cheers!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
‘Wild’ camping in Spain is generally not permitted - that’s not to say it doesn’t happen.

A fair number of albergues would allow campers for a modest fee and most bars or cafes in smaller places will point you in the right direction; otherwise pitch late, leave early, leave no trace and avoid hunting season.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I"m hiking mostly in Asturias, seaside. Is tenting allowed there.... by trail, or some park/forest areas? Very simple one person tent, and quick jet boil for food, no fires. Experienced packer here. That's just In case an Albergue isn't open....there may be long stretches without albergue or hotels. I know what the weather is, can handle that.

I noticed a youtbue video where the guy was sleeping in tents all the time on camino in portugal. cheers!
Maybe tolerated, but definitely not allowed. What is done on youtube in Portugal may differ from what is permitted in Spain. Wild camping is against the law in Spain. The North coast of Spain is not wilderness so wherever you try to put up a tent is likely to be near human habitation. Once the Camino del Norte leaves the coast, it is a different matter, there would be quite a few places where you could camp overnight discreetly. If you want a hike, research the GR routes and walks in northern Spain. This might be more what you are looking for. The caminos are walking routes and designed to be negotiable by any healthy able-bodied person and where possible to provide easy access to shops and restaurants so a camino is not really a hike.

Last edited:

This resource should answer your question: https://thespanishbiker.wordpress.com/travel-planning/camping/free-camping/

Experienced packer here.
https://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.com/2012/09/camino-del-norte-conclusion-and-tips.html
This 2012 blog from a famous walker/blogger is still worth a look - useful for appreciating the Norte's challenges for a serious thru hiker - and managing expectations accordingly.
Actually since it was written there's been quite a lot of work done to open up coastal alternative paths, but the camping observations hold up pretty well.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/coastal-alternatives-to-the-nortes-asphalt.49578/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wild camping is (depending on your interpretation) also illegal in the UK (but not Scotland). I have been bikepacking here for over ten years and never been stopped or moved on. Sometimes walkers will stop and say a few words, but never in a confrontational way, but with dog walkers I’m on my guard because dogs are likely to “cock a leg” on my tent. Yuck!

On my Camino in September of this year, I wild camped four times - once in a park in central Merida, twice near the trail and once in a picnic ground - and didn’t see anyone. As has been said above, the trick is to pitch late, leave early and leave no trace. And the most important rule is, “Don’t be a dick”. A good rule is that - works for life in general too…

It's always an incognito thing. I've met friends, that camp along the way... I haven't. But the cool thing about the norte is there are showers at the beach... sometimes. Other times friends asked albergues if they could just use their facilities for a lesser price (not staying there). In the end, they ended up camping in the hills, away from civilization. They had to set up tents after dark, and scoot as the sun rose.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wild camping is (depending on your interpretation) also illegal in the UK (but not Scotland). I have been bikepacking here for over ten years and never been stopped or moved on. Sometimes walkers will stop and say a few words, but never in a confrontational way, but with dog walkers I’m on my guard because dogs are likely to “cock a leg” on my tent. Yuck!

On my Camino in September of this year, I wild camped four times - once in a park in central Merida, twice near the trail and once in a picnic ground - and didn’t see anyone. As has been said above, the trick is to pitch late, leave early and leave no trace. And the most important rule is, “Don’t be a dick”. A good rule is that - works for life in general too…
Last time I looked Merida wasn’t on the Norte but in Extramadura. Another Province where wild camping is illegal. I fully understand that the average, discrete, wild camper can pitch just about anywhere and depart undisturbed. El artículo 46.1 de la orden del 28 de julio de 1966, is aimed more at traveling groups of Gitanos and migrants than pilgrims and backpackers. That doesn’t preclude its application if you are stupid enough to piss off a land-owner; the Guardia or the Nacional.

I am always concerned whenever I see, on a forum such as this, anyone encouraging or supporting wild camping. In the same way that people “discover” Camino and think it’s either a wilderness hike or a full service adventure holiday people who couldn’t stealth camp in their own bedrooms ( leave no trace 😉) see a couple of U-bend clips and head off with their camo tent and a box of matches and are frantically searching for somewhere to shit at sunrise…

Those who know how to do it will do it, discretely, without the help of this forum. Those who need to ask how and where should be rigorously discouraged.

There, done, said it. Said enough

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No lack of places to camp in Asturius.
Awww, I stayed at a campsite close to Tapia last year (at playa Penarronda). It was nice. The owner wanted a quiet and calm campsite, no partying allowed. You could hear the ocean at night in your tent. Good memories.

Last edited:
The blog post really illustrates the point that I was trying to make in my post Are you are hiker or a walker?
Exactly. I was thinking about that person's opinion about the Camino when I read that thread of yours.

Asphalt, villages and cities, infrastructure, civilisation and people is usually not exactly what wilderness hikers are looking for in their walks. Some of us enjoy both Caminos as well as wilderness hikes for what they are, but when you can't get away from your expectations, the classic Caminos must be disappointing to those who prefer "classic" hikes (and probably vice versa).

Funny thing is that I'm the fool between both parties, as I do camp on my Caminos.

The pilgrims will say to me "Are you mad to carry all that extra gear when you could stay in a comfortable bed in albergues or hotels!?", and the hikers will say "Are you mad to walk those ugly crowded paths and to stay in campsites when you could also walk through nature and wild camp for free and away from people and noise!?"

But I think some people, like me, do enjoy the mix of both.

Some enjoy the more remote "wilder" Caminos, but still prefer to sleep in a bed each night. That's quite common I think.

Some want to walk the busier routes like the Francés with its social component and good infrastructure, and still enjoy sleeping in their tent. That's more rare.

But I think as long as camping is done legally (or in case of emergency bivouac, respectfully without damage to nature, animals and locals) it's all fine.

Last edited:
Tent camping is appropriate on the Appalachian Trail in the US.

The Camino is in Europe so you must adjust to the European way of doing things. That involved staying in albergue/hostels. It's a much more civilized way!

-Paul

and some of us just prefer to sleep outside - wherever we are..... odd how it becomes a crime?!
Most people wouldn't - most like a locked door - but lets just be kind to those who do - sometimes there are good solid reasons for it....😼

The Camino is in Europe so you must adjust to the European way of doing things.
"Europe" is pretty large and extremely varied. What is perfectly legal and common in one country - such as wild camping in Norway or Scotland - may well be illegal and unacceptable elsewhere. There is no such thing as "the European way of doing things".

https://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.com/2012/09/camino-del-norte-conclusion-and-tips.html
This 2012 blog from a famous walker/blogger is still worth a look - useful for appreciating the Norte's challenges for a serious thru hiker - and managing expectations accordingly.
Actually since it was written there's been quite a lot of work done to open up coastal alternative paths, but the camping observations hold up pretty well.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/coastal-alternatives-to-the-nortes-asphalt.49578/
thanks so much

Exactly. I was thinking about that person's opinion about the Camino when I read that thread of yours.

Asphalt, villages and cities, infrastructure, civilisation and people is usually not exactly what wilderness hikers are looking for in their walks. Some of us enjoy both Caminos as well as wilderness hikes for what they are, but when you can't get away from your expectations, the classic Caminos must be disappointing to those who prefer "classic" hikes (and probably vice versa).

Funny thing is that I'm the fool between both parties, as I do camp on my Caminos.

The pilgrims will say to me "Are you mad to carry all that extra gear when you could stay in a comfortable bed in albergues or hotels!?", and the hikers will say "Are you mad to walk those ugly crowded paths and to stay in campsites when you could also walk through nature and wild camp for free and away from people and noise!?"

But I think some people, like me, do enjoy the mix of both.

Some enjoy the more remote "wilder" Caminos, but still prefer to sleep in a bed each night. That's quite common I think.

Some want to walk the busier routes like the Francés with its social component and good infrastructure, and still enjoy sleeping in their tent. That's more rare.

But I think as long as camping is done legally (or in case of emergency bivouac, respectfully without damage to nature, animals and locals) it's all fine.
thanks all for your replies here. I'll come back and tell you what I think/experience! I'm taking 1.5 year off of "life", working part time/remote, and doing backpacks somewhere every 2-3 months. i'm FINE with either wilderness or social walks like the camino. all good with me. maybe god has other plans I don't know about.... but #1 reason i'm doing camino is BECAUSE IT'S A GREAT PLACE in northern hyemisphere to hike / walk in JANUARY. Ain't many other places ... surely not in wilderness or higher elevations.

strong preference right now for more sociable... I would actually prefer the frances, except it's more cold, concerned about cold/snow in mountains and i've got a craving for the sea, and more predictable weather on coast.

strong preference right now for more sociable... I would actually prefer the frances, except it's more cold, concerned about cold/snow in mountains and i've got a craving for the sea, and more predictable weather on coast
You might consider one of the Portuguese Caminos - closer to the coast, and probably more social this time of year.

We cycled from Lisbon down to Algarve last spring. There are certainly quiet routes almost all the way. The Rota Vincentina went from Sines south - amazing walking and quite a lot of folk hiking... we cycled some of that route ( some accidently!) Really lovely - much quieter than N Portuguese routes - except in honeypots!!
Any Portuguese coastal would be good out of season - warm!! But maybe not so many albergues/cafes open....?

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back