• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycling the camino from Mid August - But where? Via de la Plata, Ruta de Lana, Camino Olvidado? (Edit: The winner is Via Francigena)

Steffan

Dear fellow peregrinas and pereginos!

I just decided today, it is time to go for another camino in Spain.
Maybe I am just crazy and probably I need to hear common sense, but I am almost ready to book an e-bike in Sevilla (or Cadiz) around the 15th of August to cycle to SDC. I got almost four weeks to do it.
I would like to hear from someone who has done or is thinking of doing (cycling) the Via de la Plata in August's heat or someone who can recommend a less hot and also less travelled alternative, for example, Ruta de la Lana or Camino Olvidado

I KNOW it is going to be insanely hot during most hours of the day on the VdP, (that is why I opt for an E-bike), but most of the daily sections can probably be done in 3-5 hours (60-100 km), and leaving early in the mornings should help to avoid the worst heat.
I also count on a cooling wind effect and envision sitting in the cool shade of the old 'El Bar' or an old tree, sipping on something refreshing not long after lunchtime.

I have walked a few caminos in Spain, France, and Germany - the reason I want to cycle this time is needing to arrive earlyish to have the afternoons to do some daily studying for a crucial exam.

I hope someone can give me (possibly first-hand) advice on what to really expect on the VdP at 40C and if the Ruta de Lana may be a more suitable alternative and if it is cyclable. The Olvidado is also on my list but I wonder about fickle rainy weather and I am not sure if one can cycle it.
The Via Francigena from Lausanne into Rome sounded very appealing in my holiday planning for this summer and I thought it was it until Spain with its easy bike rentals started to call my name very loudly.

I look forward to any ideas to tip the scales one way or another.
Thank you!

Previous caminos: Chemin d'Arles, Geneva, le Puy, Lourdes to SJPDP, Via Baltica, Via Regia, Camino del Norte, Primitivo, Lebaniego and San Salvador, Via Serrana

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Via Francigena from Lausanne into Rome sounded very appealing

The VF is much more appealing than the VDLP in terms of scenery but not sure you can find economic e-bike rental in Switzerland - mainly the problem in getting it back to base.

E-bike rental in Spain is well catered for and there are no issues in getting the bike back as the delivery and collection system is in place.

Have done the VF (non-E) and it's OK apart from the St Bernards Pass. There are options if you need to skip it / skip sections.

Much as I love Spain, Italy is far more appealing.

Dear fellow peregrinas and pereginos!

I just decided today, it is time to go for another camino in Spain.
Maybe I am just crazy and probably I need to hear common sense, but I am almost ready to book an e-bike in Sevilla (or Cadiz) around the 15th of August to cycle to SDC. I got almost four weeks to do it.
I would like to hear from someone who has done or is thinking of doing (cycling) the Via de la Plata in August's heat or someone who can recommend a less hot and also less travelled alternative, for example, Ruta de la Lana or Camino Olvidado

I KNOW it is going to be insanely hot during most hours of the day on the VdP, (that is why I opt for an E-bike), but most of the daily sections can probably be done in 3-5 hours (60-100 km), and leaving early in the mornings should help to avoid the worst heat.
I also count on a cooling wind effect and envision sitting in the cool shade of the old 'El Bar' or an old tree, sipping on something refreshing not long after lunchtime.

I have walked a few caminos in Spain, France, and Germany - the reason I want to cycle this time is needing to arrive earlyish to have the afternoons to do some daily studying for a crucial exam.

I hope someone can give me (possibly first-hand) advice on what to really expect on the VdP at 40C and if the Ruta de Lana may be a more suitable alternative and if it is cyclable. The Olvidado is also on my list but I wonder about fickle rainy weather and I am not sure if one can cycle it.
The Via Francigena from Lausanne into Rome sounded very appealing in my holiday planning for this summer and I thought it was it until Spain with its easy bike rentals started to call my name very loudly.

I look forward to any ideas to tip the scales one way or another.
Thank you!

Previous caminos: Chemin d'Arles, Geneva, le Puy, Lourdes to SJPDP, Via Baltica, Via Regia, Camino del Norte, Primitivo, Lebaniego and San Salvador, Via Serrana
Super hot on the VDLP in August. Long stages and some with no services the whole way. Very little or no shade at all for many stretches. There were plenty of days (and I started in mid October where I sought some relief sitting on the ground (after I cleared the rocks away and leaned up against one of the stone walls to try to get some shade. You would need to leave early. Riding an e-bike before the sun comes up may be dangerous and I wouldn't be surprised if a flat tire or two was predicted for your future early morning rides. I have no idea about charging or how long a charge lasts as I know nothing about e-bikes. Remember also that many of the villages and villagers although nice do not cater in any way to pilgrims because there are so few of us. It would be really helpful if you can speak some Spanish. Outside of the big cities I hardly ever encountered someone who could speak some English. Remember again it will be brutally hot in August. For example this Wednesday through Sunday Sevilla will be 40, 43, 44, 42. Believe me when I was walking and it was 30-32 after a while it felt alot hotter than that. Never walked the Lana but I can't imagine it being that much cooler than the VDLP.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Living near the coast south of Cadiz I'd say forget the Plata unless you really do enjoy sizzling in the frying pan of southern, inland Andalucia, it can be brutal. A coastal camino would make more sense, Portuguese, Del Norte, Primitivo. Or starting from Sevilla head west to the Algarve then stay on the coast to Santiago, maybe? Also remember August, peak summer, accommodation is expensive especially on the coast; camp or bivvy? Start early in the morning but beware the boiled frog syndrome, by the time you're feeling hot it can be too late, plenty of fluids. Let us know what you decide and how it goes. Richard

Thank you, @Corned Beef @It56ny @Skinnybiker for your thoughtful replies.

You found just the right words to help me make a better decision. The VDLP can wait for another time...
The VF is much more appealing than the VDLP in terms of scenery
... Super hot on the VDLP in August. Long stages and some with no services the whole way. Very little or no shade at all for many stretches. ...
... I'd say forget the Plata unless you really do enjoy sizzling in the frying pan of southern, inland Andalucia, it can be brutal. ...
Let us know what you decide and how it goes.
And the winner is: Via Francigena
I will either start in Geneva or Lausanne, depending a bit on available flights from London and bring my own bike!
I was lucky enough to find one today to replace the one I was silly enough to sell a couple of months ago! I already knew then I'd regret it:
Birdy Rohloff.jpeg

It's a folding bike, LOL - but one made for touring and it has a very efficient 14-gear hub. It's called Birdy, just like my avatar!

I heard albergues don't always have a facility to safely store the bike - the folding bike circumvents that problem. It can also safely hide in the vestibule of my tent.

Have done the VF (non-E) and it's OK apart from the St Bernards Pass. There are options if you need to skip it / skip sections.

Options to skip sections, like the St Bernards Pass - that's good to know! :)
The folder should make it easy to take a train/bus or even hitchhike.

Thanks again, I knew this forum provides!

I will do my best to let past, current, and future VF fans know how it goes. I will start around the 15th of August.

Options to skip sections, like the St Bernards Pass - that's good to know!

When you get to Martigny, pop into the very helpful Tourist Office there (opposite McDonalds) and they'll advise your options.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back