• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detailed Stage Planning — Camino de Levante - Camí de Llevant

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
Edited by moderator (November 9, 2020 — at the conclusion of this thread) to note the following —
This is undoubtedly the best single thread the forum has about the Levante. It includes detailed stages, places to stay, places to visit, places to eat — everything you would ever need to know about the Levante. Undertaken during covid times, the thread benefitted from the contributions of many forum members who have walked the Levante. And it was a lot of fun!

Preamble

My wife and I have just finished walking from Seville to SdC on the VdlP and the Sanabrés. Virtually, as we are currently in confinement in Melbourne (Australia). We were supposed to have finished our Caminho Português earlier this week, and we would be arriving at Fisterra today. Oh well... The Camino will be there when the time comes.

It looks like we're going to stay in confinement for a while longer, and we can't leave the shores of Australia until probably next year. So to keep our dreams alive, we have been looking at other Caminos, and planning 2021, 2022, 2023,... :)

@peregrina2000 had organised a number of Zoom meetings to showcase the Camino Mozárabe, the Invierno, the Olvidado, and the Levante. She's amazing, and has a wealth of information! During those meetings, I showed some enthusiasm, and as I arrived on the Praza do Obradoiro, @peregrina2000 was there, and suggested I walk the Levante. She didn't have to ask me twice!

On this Camino, my wife Rachel and I will be walking together, at our own pace. We know/hope we will be accompanied by a number of other pilgrims, @Albertagirl , who will be walking in real life when she can, @peregrina2000 , @C clearly , @KinkyOne (who has a great resource about this Camino on this forum), hopefully @JLWV (who is a member of the Asociación Amigos del Camino de Santiago Comunidad Valenciana, and who shared lots of info during the Zoom meeting - I should have taken more notes! ;)), @OzAnnie who wants to finish this Camino, and anyone else who has walked this Camino or who would like to walk it.

I'll acknowledge my sources here: @peregrina2000 's pilgrimage in 2013, @KinkyOne 's resource on distances and accommodation, and @JLWV 's accommodation list. I'm also getting information from the Amigos website, as well as information that @C clearly sent me.

Day 0: València

For us, it will probably be Day -5 to Day 0, as we would spend some time looking around València. I might download the Visit València app from the official tourism website to get my bearings. It looks like there's plenty to see! We will, of course, go to the office of the Amigos to get information about the Camino. I understand we can get a special credencial there.

@peregrina2000 stayed at the Pension París, which is now known as the Casa del Patriarca. It's fairly central in the Ciutat Vella, and about a 10 minute walk to the cathedral where we will be able to get a sello. And it's only 5 minutes away from the church of San Juan del Hospital, where, on the eve of our departure, we will go to receive the Blessing of the Pilgrim at the end of mass at 7pm.
An alternative place to stay is the Youth Hostel Center Valencia, which is also close to the cathedral. There are also many other places to stay, even a Parador!

Tomorrow we start walking. We favour stages up to about 20km per day. Not that we are lazy, but we are both in our 60's, Rachel has had cancer and although she starts the day often stronger than I do, she gets tired by early afternoon, as a result of her treatment and medication. No lullaby needed when she goes to bed! So looking ahead, we will walk to Silla.

I will be posting every 2nd day or so, to give readers the time to make comments. When we will be taking rest days, which we will, knowing there are so many little towns that are worth seeing, I will post the rest day at the same time as the day to that town.

¡Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks, @AJGuillaume! I am very much looking forward to this new virtual walk. This camino doesn’t seem to be getting the increases that some of the other less traveled caminos have enjoyed, so I will be curious to see if our day by day sparks some interest. It is a very wonderful camino, IMO. Lots of albergues, lots of lovely little towns with historical plazas, castles, churches, the cities of Toledo and Ávila, and a few gorgeous mountain days thrown in for good measure!

What great news to hear that the Pensión París has reopened, though under another name. It is a great location, and it was really the only “old school pensión” that I had found — family run, modest, old building. I see that they have spiffed it up a bit, but I am glad they did not turn it into yet another youth hostel. It’s nice for us older peregrinos to have a bit more privacy.

You will enjoy your time in Valencia, I am sure. It is really a beautiful city. The one disappointment for me was that the art museum has a few Sorolla paintings, but none of them are the iconic beach scenes that bring the viewer so much joy. I had thought that since Sorolla was from Valencia, they would have been able to snag a few great ones, but what I saw were a few somber portraits.

Make sure to wander through Calatrava-land. The Valencian friend who took me out there described the many lawsuits involved with at least three or four of the buildings. Litigation seems to be a fairly standard feature of Calatrava’s public buildings, since he apparently takes no care to check things out with the engineers. He designs and then lets them figure it out, which they sometimes are unable to do well. But it is well worth a stroll to enjoy the views of the architecture from all different angles.

Coming from the land where the future of the postal service seems to be in jeopardy, I would also urge you to take a visit at the post office to see how some places value their mail delivery. Not as spectacular as Madrid’s old postal building at Cibeles perhaps, but it is quite a beauty! And it’s on a square filled with flower stalls, if in fact I am remembering correctly.

Buen camino, Laurie

I will gladly chime in @AJGuillaume but have to warn you re my list of distances and accommodation that it was compiled before I walked Levante in 2015 and never redacted. Many things might have changed in five years and I'm sure @JLWV will be the best source for the newest info.

I won't give you any special advice about places to visit in Valencia because when I visit certain place for the first time I tend to just get lost deliberately, wandering the streets and soak up the vibe of it all. And I enjoyed Valencia very much.

0005-Houses (Valencia, 06.06.2015).JPG0006-Plaza de la Reina (Valencia, 06.06.2015).JPG

One thing I might add though is visit to Central Market. I always do that anyway :)

0016-Mercat Central (Valencia, 06.06.2015).JPG

Mentioned Casa del Patriarca indeed has excellent location and it's easy to find. Direct Metro line from the airport (forgot which line and which end station), El Corte Ingles across the street of it for buying some essentials after arriving and just around the corner there's this pension.

For me as a purist it meant a lot to start in Mediterranean Sea because the plan was to end in Muxia (which I did but had to skip Toledo-Avila so no coast-to-coast walk this time) in Atlantic Ocean. Malvarosa, Cabanyal or Arenas Beach would be nice place to start and then you would have very nice, shaded and straight walk along the Avenida de Blasco Ibaňez to the Jardins del Real where you cross old river bed which is now recreational area. Immediately after crossing it there's another overnight option I heard many praises for (The River Hostel). From there it's just a short stroll through narrow streets and you will stand in front of the Cathedral.

0045-Start of Camino on Malvarosa Beach (Valencia-Silla, 08.06.2015).jpg0050-Avda.Blasco Ibanez (Valencia-Silla, 08.06.2015).jpg0054-Pl.de la Legia Espanyola (Valencia-Silla, 08.06.2015).JPG0055-Pont del Real (Valencia-Silla, 08.06.2015).JPG0056-view from Pont del Real (Valencia-Silla, 08.06.2015).JPG0060-Catedral de Valencia (Valencia-Silla, 08.06.2015).JPG0061-1st arrow @ Catedral de Valencia (Valencia-Silla, 08.06.2015).JPG

And from here on @AJGuillaume will lead us :)

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good call to mention the metro, K1. It is a great system. Direct trip to Colon metro stop and then a 4 or 5 minute walk. I’ve attached a google maps route.

And, in light of a chat K1 and I had on another thread about the ceilings of post offices, here is what the Valencia post office has to offer.

Attachments

• FA61F960-A02E-4CA1-81BC-1F66F1A7D5CA.png
    FA61F960-A02E-4CA1-81BC-1F66F1A7D5CA.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
  • 4FFA68C6-8702-4514-AA03-C42BD952D5C8.jpeg
    4FFA68C6-8702-4514-AA03-C42BD952D5C8.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 86001DD6-18CC-4AFE-806D-4E422D021DFA.jpeg
    86001DD6-18CC-4AFE-806D-4E422D021DFA.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 33AF83EF-D989-4433-A231-0CB2668E4C7F.jpeg
    33AF83EF-D989-4433-A231-0CB2668E4C7F.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 54
Perhaps you should follow Ernest Hemingway's example: "In Valencia it's damned stupendous at the beach or in the city to eat a melon washed down with a real cold jug of beer". He stayed at the Reina Victoria, where a cousin of my mother-in-law's died under unusual circumstances - allegedly bitten through the jugular by his pet ape whilst drunk - working for the Republic in 1937.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should follow Ernest Hemingway's example: "In Valencia it's damned stupendous at the beach or in the city to eat a melon washed down with a real cold jug of beer". ...
Yeah, that would be nice. But in the morning when I was there the beach was almost deserted and I haven't seen any opened bar/stand or something similar.

0037-Malvarosa Beach (Valencia, 08.06.2015).jpg0038-Malvarosa Beach (Valencia, 08.06.2015).jpg0039-Malvarosa Beach (Valencia, 08.06.2015).jpg

I would also add that it is not recommended to hang around Mercat Central when the night falls because completely different merchandise and "services" are sold then. Unless you're interested in them of course. Maybe it would be wiser to enjoy the atmosphere somewhere around the Cathedral if you're not accustomed to such environments ;)

0019-Plaza de la Verge in front of Catedral de Valencia (Valencia, 06.06.2015).jpg

And, in light of a chat K1 and I had on another thread about the ceilings of post offices, here is what the Valencia post office has to offer.

I didn't even know that I actually have photos of the post office :)

0033-Placa de l'Ayuntament (Valencia, 07.06.2015).jpg0036-Placa de l'Ayuntament (Valencia, 07.06.2015).JPG

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have google-earthed this route twice, as it was my planned Camino for March and April this year, at least as far as Toledo or even Avila. I had scheduled two nights in Valencia, and was wondering about the Hotel Sorolla Centro, as I have found his work to be remarkable (the Museo Sorolla in Madrid is a must-see) although I did spend a happy hour or two looking at other hotels in the south end of the city to make the first day's walk to Silla more convenient. Examining the weather, I also thought that a brief beach stay might also be fun, and then worked out a walk from the coast to westward to Almussafes. I also made a list of churches where one could obtain an interesting sello avoiding, of course, the basilica of San Vicente Ferrer, of whose efforts to convert Jews I disapprove (what else can one do at six centuries' remove other than to avoid his sello?)

Preamble

My wife and I have just finished walking from Seville to SdC on the VdlP and the Sanabrés. Virtually, as we are currently in confinement in Melbourne (Australia). We were supposed to have finished our Caminho Português earlier this week, and we would be arriving at Fisterra today. Oh well... The Camino will be there when the time comes.

It looks like we're going to stay in confinement for a while longer, and we can't leave the shores of Australia until probably next year. So to keep our dreams alive, we have been looking at other Caminos, and planning 2021, 2022, 2023,... :)

@peregrina2000 had organised a number of Zoom meetings to showcase the Camino Mozárabe, the Invierno, the Olvidado, and the Levante. She's amazing, and has a wealth of information! During those meetings, I showed some enthusiasm, and as I arrived on the Praza do Obradoiro, @peregrina2000 was there, and suggested I walk the Levante. She didn't have to ask me twice!

On this Camino, my wife Rachel and I will be walking together, at our own pace. We know/hope we will be accompanied by a number of other pilgrims, @Albertagirl , who will be walking in real life when she can, @peregrina2000 , @C clearly , @KinkyOne (who has a great resource about this Camino on this forum), hopefully @JLWV (who is a member of the Asociación Amigos del Camino de Santiago Comunidad Valenciana, and who shared lots of info during the Zoom meeting - I should have taken more notes! ;)), @OzAnnie who wants to finish this Camino, and anyone else who has walked this Camino or who would like to walk it.

I'll acknowledge my sources here: @peregrina2000 's pilgrimage in 2013, @KinkyOne 's resource on distances and accommodation, and @JLWV 's accommodation list. I'm also getting information from the Amigos website, as well as information that @C clearly sent me.

Day 0: València

For us, it will probably be Day -5 to Day 0, as we would spend some time looking around València. I might download the Visit València app from the official tourism website to get my bearings. It looks like there's plenty to see! We will, of course, go to the office of the Amigos to get information about the Camino. I understand we can get a special credencial there.

@peregrina2000 stayed at the Pension París, which is now known as the Casa del Patriarca. It's fairly central in the Ciutat Vella, and about a 10 minute walk to the cathedral where we will be able to get a sello. And it's only 5 minutes away from the church of San Juan del Hospital, where, on the eve of our departure, we will go to receive the Blessing of the Pilgrim at the end of mass at 7pm.
An alternative place to stay is the Youth Hostel Center Valencia, which is also close to the cathedral. There are also many other places to stay, even a Parador!

Tomorrow we start walking. We favour stages up to about 20km per day. Not that we are lazy, but we are both in our 60's, Rachel has had cancer and although she starts the day often stronger than I do, she gets tired by early afternoon, as a result of her treatment and medication. No lullaby needed when she goes to bed! So looking ahead, we will walk to Silla.

I will be posting every 2nd day or so, to give readers the time to make comments. When we will be taking rest days, which we will, knowing there are so many little towns that are worth seeing, I will post the rest day at the same time as the day to that town.

¡Buen Camino!
Would like to join this journey also. I started the Levante last year and have 300 elm completed. Was due to go back this April but....................hopefully, in 2021.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will gladly chime in @AJGuillaume but have to warn you re my list of distances and accommodation that it was compiled before I walked Levante in 2015 and never redacted. Many things might have changed in five years and I'm sure @JLWV will be the best source for the newest info.
Thank you @KinkyOne ! I had thought that things would have changed, and they will probably change further after this virus. Your list of distances hasn't changed though ;) and it is interesting to see where you stopped.

Coming from the land where the future of the postal service seems to be in jeopardy, I would also urge you to take a visit at the post office to see how some places value their mail delivery.
Wow, that is one amazing post office!

Perhaps you should follow Ernest Hemingway's example: "In Valencia it's damned stupendous at the beach or in the city to eat a melon washed down with a real cold jug of beer".
Spending a few days in Valencia before our Camino, I can see that I will need to plan a day at the beach. Now, can the melon be washed down with something else? Rachel doesn't drink beer 😂

Thank you @KinkyOne ! I had thought that things would have changed, and they will probably change further after this virus. Your list of distances hasn't changed though ;) and it is interesting to see where you stopped.
Oh, I didn't stop at the planned stops 100%. I never do. It's just a plan but I always have 7-10 days in reserve so I can wing it. Why walk 35k if I feel lazy on certain day or if after 12k I like that little village very much and decide to stay there and just mingle with locals :)

I can see that I will need to plan a day at the beach. Now, can the melon be washed down with something else? Rachel doesn't drink beer
Yes, and if you have time enough visit also the south beach. Along some 20 km is the Parque Natural de la Albufera, which includes the Albufera (laguna) itself, the rice reas, and a wood between the sea and the laguna.
And in the island of El Palmar (easy access by city buses) a lot of restaurants with tipycal valencians products.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had thought that since Sorolla was from Valencia, they would have been able to snag a few great ones, but what I saw were a few somber portraits.
That is true, he was from, and lived in, Valencia, but his final house is in Madrid, and is today a museum.
There is also a lost of very large paintings of him in the Hispanic Society in the US.

0019-Plaza de la Verge in front of Catedral de Valencia (Valencia, 06.06.2015).jpg
Hi K1, this is obviously a photo pre-covid

About the lists of accomodations that various of us posted, no need to remember that in this time of covid they have to be used with caution.
Most public albergues are closed, private ones generaly work but with reduced capacity, small hostals may have definitively close after some monthes of total inactivity.
Not all, but the majority, of the pilgrims with whom I have spoken lastly start the way with prebooking.

Information about activity of the albergues related with the Federation of Asociaciones de Amigos is refered in www.caminosantiago.org.
An other updated information is available in www.wisepilgrim.com, but does not cover the Camino de Levante before Zamora.

Spending a few days in Valencia before our Camino
Me too. The cathedral, market, maybe one museum should get me into the Spanish mood. I need at least 2 nights of comfort and privacy after the long journey and 9 hours of time change, so the Casa del Patriarca looks excellent. It would also be fun to dip my toes in the Mediterranean.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Day 1: Valencia to Silla

The 'official' first stage of the Levante is from Valencia to Algemesí, and is 38 km. That's a tad too long for us, so we looked at the various intermediate places, and Silla happens to be just 15 km after Valencia, just right!

Looking at satellite imagery, the walk is all on roads, going through Alfafar and its 14th century church, Massanassa, and Catarroja. After Catarroja there a stretch through an industrial area, until we get to Silla.

We have a choice of three places to sleep tonight: Pensión Puerto, Hostal Moreno, and Hostal Luci Mar. The first two are close to the Camino. Silla is on two Cercania train lines, lineas C1 and C2, so one could also take a train back to Valencia at the end of the day. Which is what @peregrina2000 did in 2013.

Tonight, as we eat our evening meal (there seems to be a few restaurants around), we're going to chat about tomorrow's walk. It's 23 km to Algemesí.

About the lists of accomodations that various of us posted, no need to remember that in this time of covid they have to be used with caution.
Most public albergues are closed, private ones generaly work but with reduced capacity, small hostals may have definitively close after some monthes of total inactivity.
Not all, but the majority, of the pilgrims with whom I have spoken lastly start the way with prebooking.
Thank you for the reminder @JLWV . For the purpose of this virtual Camino, we'll assume that albergues are open, and I'll be checking private accommodation. For example, in Silla, it looks like the three places are open, or so it appears from their respective websites.

In real life, we would be probably walking in 2022, (we have moved this year's plans for the Caminho Português to 2021) so the accommodation situation could have changed again. That's where I am so grateful for the great work you do with the Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de de la Comunidad Valenciana.
¡Muchas gracias!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I remember that someone somewhere wrote about skipping the walk to Silla to avoid the industrial slog. That is really not an accurate description — as AJ notes, there is a short stint through what they call the “parque industrial” or “polígono industrial”, but it is not like walking past power plants and chemical factories. It is mostly what they call ”naves” — those big storage depots. It is true that the stage is all on asphalt and built up, but the little suburban towns it goes through are very pleasant and give you a good glimpse of normal Spanish daily life.

And if someone is itching to walk more than Silla’s 15, but not go all the way to Algemesí at 38, there are two plaes to stay in Almussafes (25 km).

One is Pensión Nadal (as @JLLW reported) and the other is the 4 star Hotel Bartos.

I walked through Almussafes on a late Sunday morning and it struck me as a lively friendly place. Where else can you find a Moorish tower embedded in the town hall?!

Attachments

• 196FB9C4-3766-4FDC-BE15-35243BE2CF85.jpeg
    196FB9C4-3766-4FDC-BE15-35243BE2CF85.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Silla is on two Cercania train lines, lineas C1 and C2, so one could also take a train back to Valencia at the end of the day.
someone somewhere wrote about skipping the walk to Silla to avoid the industrial slog. That is really not an accurate description — as AJ notes, there is a short stint through what they call the “parque industrial” or “polígono industrial”, but it is not like walking past power plants and chemical factories. It is mostly what they call ”naves” — those big storage depots. It is true that the stage is all on asphalt and built up, but the little suburban towns it goes through are very pleasant and give you a good glimpse of normal Spanish daily life.
The train goes through most of the towns up to at least Xátiva, which is a 49 minute trip and otherwise a 3-day walk. I would think about riding ahead in some combination with walking - depending on how I'm feeling on those first few days, and how much I like being in Valencia. For example, maybe take the train to Algemesi so I can visit the Museo, then walk on to Alzira where there seem to be some hotels. Then walk or train to the next town or two. However, @peregrina2000 's comment is reassuring.

My attitude to the virtual walk is straying from the purist approach!

EDITED TO ADD: From looking at Google Earth, it seems that the major urban/industrial area ends just before Almussafes. So I would think about taking the train to that town and then walk from there.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I remember that someone somewhere wrote about skipping the walk to Silla to avoid the industrial slog. That is really not an accurate description — as AJ notes, there is a short stint through what they call the “parque industrial” or “polígono industrial”, but it is not like walking past power plants and chemical factories. It is mostly what they call ”naves” — those big storage depots. It is true that the stage is all on asphalt and built up, but the little suburban towns it goes through are very pleasant and give you a good glimpse of normal Spanish daily life.

And if someone is itching to walk more than Silla’s 15, but not go all the way to Algemesí at 38, there are two plaes to stay in Almussafes (25 km). One is Pensión Nadal (as @JLLW reported) and the other is the 4 star Hotel Bartos. I walked through Almussafes on a late Sunday morning and it struck me as a lively friendly place. Where else can you find a Moorish tower embedded in the town hall?!
Hi Laurie - you always do seem to get it right well at least for me - I don't mind walking through the industrial part of places - it makes me feel that the city is working and I enjoy seeing the different businesses hard at it. Okay I know some are a drag but generally not that bad. Remember walking past the cemetery in Alicante and so wanted to stroll through there too but sadly it was still all locked up and dear quiet!! I enjoyed reading your blog on the Levante - take care and much love and hopefully can bump into you next year when we start walking again. I still owe you for my lovely water heater which I love love love.XX

My attitude to the virtual walk is straying from the purist approach!
As you have seen on our virtual VdlP and Sanabrés, @C clearly , we're far from being purists 😄
The Cercanias C2 actually goes all the way to Moixent, which can be useful along the way for longer stages.

I believe that in Valencia, they speak a language similar to Catalan, the Valencian. I am assuming that knowing a few words of Valencian, such as salutations (Bo matí, Bon dia, Adéu), thank you, etc, would be appreciated by the locals. How far is Valencian spoken? Is the language border with Castillan somewhere between Xàtiva and Almansa?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

And if someone is itching to walk more than Silla’s 15, but not go all the way to Algemesí at 38, there are two plaes to stay in Almussafes (25 km). One is Pensión Nadal (as @JLLW reported) and the other is the 4 star Hotel Bartos. I walked through Almussafes on a late Sunday morning and it struck me as a lively friendly place. Where else can you find a Moorish tower embedded in the town hall?!
I've stayed a few times in hotel Isabel in Almussafes...an excellent choice

Thank you, @omar504 . This is exactly the type of information I would like to hear about this route. This hotel is about ten km further than Silla, and the 25 km from Valencia is about the distance that I like to walk each day. It is good for me to have options between the suggested accommodations. And I wouldn't want to walk the 38 km to Algemesi in one day. I shall go on looking for suitable accommodation between the suggested stages when the distances are too far for me. Thanks again.

Edited for additional information:
Two other options for accommodation in Almussafes: upscale: Hotel Bartos (see booking.com);
Pension Nadal, see post from @JLWV, Jan. 31:
Owner of the bar is Salvador, with phone 00 34 638 482 835
They have 11 rooms:
- 6 singles and 1 double with common bathroom
- 2 singles, 1 double, and 1 triple, with private bathrooms.

Pension Nadal apparently offers inexpensive accommodation to pilgrims. I could not find an online booking site.

All this accommodation is close to or on the camino route.

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Day 2: Silla to Algemesí

Algemesí is 23 km from Silla. Leaving Silla, we walk through fields, albeit on a country road, according to satellite imagery, until we arrive at Almussafes. The profile of this stage is fairly flat. The walk after Benifaió is again through farm land.

Had the energy levels of my darling wife not been high, we had a plan B: walk to Almussafes and then the next day to Algemesí. That would have given us two days, one of 9.7 km and one of 13.3 km.
We would have stayed at one of the hotels suggested:
The Hotel Isabel looks good!

We also have a plan C: should she feel exhausted by the time we get to Benifaió, we could get on a Cercanias train (linea C2) there for the last 11.6 km to Algemesí.

Benifaió has a Moorish watchtower similar to the one in Almussafes. It was part of the fortifications of Valencia. @C clearly alluded to a museum in Algemesí, which, I assume, is the Museu Valenica de la Festa. It is housed in the building of a Dominican Friars convent which was restored in 1993.

It's at the Museum that you'll retrieve the keys to the Albergue Municipal, which is opposite the museum. It's the only accommodation option in Algemesí, with 2 single beds and 3 bunk beds, and a kitchen. I believe the kitchen is fully equipped, and that a washing machine is available. There are a few supermarkets around, so we can get what we need for our evening meal. I am told that it is wise to always have the key to the Albergue with you, as the front doors are automatic, and you could be locked out without them 😄

This evening, we're going to decide whether we spend an extra night in Xàtiva. It looks like the castle itself warrants more than just a passing visit.

Last edited:
The museum is worth a visit, to learn about Algemesí’s famous fiestas in September, the Muixeranga, which involve building human towers.

I had a funny (at least it’s funny now) experience in Algemesí. Since I arrived during museum hours, I got the key there. If the museum isn’t open, you get the key at the police station. At about 11pm or midnight, when I was fast asleep, the door opened. The light went on and someone came into the room. After I screamed, I learned that he was a cyclist who had had bike trouble and had just arrived in Algemesí. The police told him there was no one at the albergue. I think he was almost as scared as I was when I jumped out of bed screaming. My heart was beating pretty fast for a while, but all ended well.

I went to the Casino for lunch, right in the square. There was a family celebration going on with some huge paellas. I was invited to enjoy some.

Attachments

• E564B32A-F979-4141-A52E-06C8C855418B.jpeg
    E564B32A-F979-4141-A52E-06C8C855418B.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 37C6E54D-A3EE-446C-AB8F-864C48D49725.jpeg
    37C6E54D-A3EE-446C-AB8F-864C48D49725.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 43
Visited Xàtiva on June 2nd last year while on the Levante, a beautiful place and stayed in Casa Aldomar which was quaint and gorgeous with an interior courtyard. Really worth spending some time here.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just thought I would copy and paste the great post by @JLWV in the Castles thread. Just LOOK at all the castles on the Levante!!!!

Camino de Levante:
- Silla, Moorish tower, no visit by now
- Almussafes, Moorish tower, no visit
- Benifaió, 2 Moorish towers, one in the center, visit on request at the Ayuntamiento, more interesting if guided
- Xativa, important castle, visit
- Canals, tower of the Borgia family, visit on special days
- Montesa, visible from the way, castle of Montesa Order (inheritors of Templars when disolved)
- Vallada, ruins of castle, up the mountain
- Almansa, visit
- Chinchilla de Monte Aragón, no interior visit
- San Clemente, Torre vieja, now a Museum
- Mora, Castle of Peñas Negras, up the mountain 3 km before the city
- Almonacid de Toledo, castle, just before city
- Toledo, the albergue de San Servando, is a castle where we can stay
- Toledo, the Alcazar includes the Museo del Ejercito (Main military museum)
- Barcience, castle
- Maqueda, castle
- Escalona, castle
- San Martín de Val de Iglesias, castle
- Avila, all the city is surrounded by medieval walls, Torreón of the Guzman Family
- Arevalo, castle
- Medina del Campo, Castillo de la Mota
- Zamora, castle and medieval walls
and we continue by the Camino Sanabres shared with Camino de levante
- Puebla de Sanabria, castle

Algemesí’s famous fiestas in September, the Muixeranga, which involve building human towers.
Ah, yes, I've heard of it! This is the great stuff we learn in a thread like this. Given these uncertain times, I may find that my next camino opportunity comes at a different time of year (and route) than I might choose. So, I'm collecting bits of information like this.

Yes, intermediate between Pensión Nadal and Hotel Bartos, and only 50 m off-way.
There is also a fourth place, Hotel Tryp, but it is 500 m off way, at the south part of the 'poligono industrial'. Just for an emergency.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The cathedral, market, maybe one museum should get me into the Spanish mood.

There are more than 25 museums in Valencia.
Of course any one have his own preferences, but I suggest the following ones:
- Colegio del Arte Mayor de la Seda. From the XV century the silk was very important in Valencia
- Museo Nacional de la Cerámica y Artes Suntuarias, in a 'Palacio barroco'
- Museo de la Ciencia, and at its side the Oceanografic
- Museo Histórico Militar de Valencia
- l'IBER, Museo de los Soldaditos de Plomo (private fundation, owns 90.000 tin soldiers)
- Casa Museo Benlliure (family of artists of the XX Century)
- Museu Faller, about our 'Fallas'
- Museo de Bellas Artes San Pio V (includes a nice collection of altarpieces)
- La Beneficiencia, various sections, including etnografia, arqueology etc...)
- La Almoina, behind the cathedral, ruins of Roman and Moorish Valencia)
- Museo del Corpus, Casa de las Rocas
- etc...
Many information on the web calling ' muesos valencia'

Is the language border with Castillan somewhere between Xàtiva and Almansa?
Yes,
Xativa, Canals, Vallada, Moixent, and La Font de la Figuera are Valencian speaker, and Almansa, which is in the province of Albacete is Castellan speaking area.

Remember that from La Font de la Figuera / Valencia, to Almansa /Albacete, there are 27 km and no intermediate places.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Remember that from La Font de la Figuera / Valencia, to Almansa /Albacete, there are 27 km and no intermediate places.
Thank you for this. For me, this is essential information. I hope that I can still walk up to about 30 km in a day, if I have to. But I have been somewhat dismayed by the length of the stages on the Levante and would not wish to attempt a stage longer than this with no intermediate accommodation. This is why I am working my way through the information now, to see if there are alternatives, or if this is not the right camino for me. I should be very sad if that were the case.

My next possible stage: from Almussafes to Algemesi (13 km) to Alzira (5.2 km) =18.2 km, a short day to a hotel in Alzira; either recommended hotel looks acceptable, if available, but rather expensive. From Alzira, 25.2 km to Xativa, a good day's walk and this is beginning to look doable.

Last edited:

€46,-
I am beginning to realize tht I cannot plan a pilgrimage on the Levante at present. Once I get past Xativa, there are too many towns where all the accommodations seem to be closed because of COVID-19 and it is impossible to guess which of the former facilities will re-open, or when. And then there are the 38 km days. I have walked the VdlP, but I cannot see any way for me to plan a pilgrimage on the Levante at present. And I do not expect to ever be able to manage the 38 km days. So I shall have to look in a different direction for my next camino.

Once I get past Xativa, there are too many towns where all the accommodations seem to be closed because of COVID-19 and it is impossible to guess which of the former facilities will re-open, or when. And then there are the 38 km days.
Don't give up yet! When I glance at my initial spreadsheet, I don't see any necessary 38 km days - I will be watching this thread as it progresses, to see what the options are. It is true that we cannot pin down the accommodation options at this time, but we can gather information to show the possibilities - to be confirmed at a later date.

Nevertheless, I can understand your reaction. Some days I feel that the planning game is stupid and a source of discouragement. Other days I enjoy the puzzle of studying maps, lists, tracks and history.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ah yes, we're not quite there yet, but I had been looking at that stage and wondering what options we might have. Let's see when we get to La Font de la Figuera on this virtual Camino... ☺

I hope that I can still walk up to about 30 km in a day, if I have to. But I have been somewhat dismayed by the length of the stages on the Levante and would not wish to attempt a stage longer than this with no intermediate accommodation. This is why I am working my way through the information now, to see if there are alternatives, or if this is not the right camino for me. I should be very sad if that were the case.
I am beginning to realize tht I cannot plan a pilgrimage on the Levante at present. Once I get past Xativa, there are too many towns where all the accommodations seem to be closed because of COVID-19 and it is impossible to guess which of the former facilities will re-open, or when. And then there are the 38 km days. I have walked the VdlP, but I cannot see any way for me to plan a pilgrimage on the Levante at present. And I do not expect to ever be able to manage the 38 km days. So I shall have to look in a different direction for my next camino.
Don't give up yet! When I glance at my initial spreadsheet, I don't see any necessary 38 km days - I will be watching this thread as it progresses, to see what the options are. It is true that we cannot pin down the accommodation options at this time, but we can gather information to show the possibilities - to be confirmed at a later date.
I agree with @C clearly , and I would add my voice to urge you not to give up yet, @Albertagirl !

You mentioned you can still walk up to 30 km a day: in our case, I would have to probably carry my darling wife, as she would definitely not walk that far.
We'll probably walk this Camino in either 2022 or 2023, so a lot may have changed by then. However this virtual Camino will help in planning and figuring out what alternatives will be available. On our virtual VdlP, we took a ride in places to shorten long days (we're not purists ;)). I'm sure @JLWV will be able to let us know where we can get transport if need be.

Nevertheless, I can understand your reaction. Some days I feel that the planning game is stupid and a source of discouragement. Other days I enjoy the puzzle of studying maps, lists, tracks and history.
As we are in lockdown in Melbourne for another 3.5 weeks, I spend most of my time pouring over maps, reading about places, and most importantly, keeping the dream alive!

The Mundicamino profile map shows "Polideportivo" 3.1 km before Algemesi. Can anyone tell us about this?
You may have already found this through your searches, @C clearly , they have a FB page. It looks like there is a restaurant, but I couldn't see any evidence of being able to have accommodation there.

Just thought I would copy and paste the great post by @JLWV in the Castles thread. Just LOOK at all the castles on the Levante!!!!

Camino de Levante:
- Silla, Moorish tower, no visit by now
- Almussafes, Moorish tower, no visit
- Benifaió, 2 Moorish towers, one in the center, visit on request at the Ayuntamiento, more interesting if guided
- Xativa, important castle, visit
- Canals, tower of the Borgia family, visit on special days
- Montesa, visible from the way, castle of Montesa Order (inheritors of Templars when disolved)
- Vallada, ruins of castle, up the mountain
- Almansa, visit
- Chinchilla de Monte Aragón, no interior visit
- San Clemente, Torre vieja, now a Museum
- Mora, Castle of Peñas Negras, up the mountain 3 km before the city
- Almonacid de Toledo, castle, just before city
- Toledo, the albergue de San Servando, is a castle where we can stay
- Toledo, the Alcazar includes the Museo del Ejercito (Main military museum)
- Barcience, castle
- Maqueda, castle
- Escalona, castle
- San Martín de Val de Iglesias, castle
- Avila, all the city is surrounded by medieval walls, Torreón of the Guzman Family
- Arevalo, castle
- Medina del Campo, Castillo de la Mota
- Zamora, castle and medieval walls
and we continue by the Camino Sanabres shared with Camino de levante
- Puebla de Sanabria, castle
@peregrina2000 , I have definitely made a note of this!
In fact, looking ahead at places where we would/could take a rest day, we have:
Xátiva, Almansa, Chinchilla, San Clemente, Toledo, Ávila, Arevalo, Medina del Campo.
And of course, Zamora, Romanesque heaven!

You may have already found this through your searches, @C clearly , they have a FB page. It looks like there is a restaurant, but I couldn't see any evidence of being able to have accommodation there.
This the Club de Tenis de Algemesi.
Yes for restaurant, but never heard about accommodation.
It is some 200 m left of the way, very well visible and with direction signal.
May be ok for a stop for refreshment, but no more, and so next to the city....
www.algetenis.com

Last edited:
I don't see any necessary 38 km days
It was the 6th stage which defeated me: 38.4 km, with the only alternative being to transfer to the Lana and no accommodation currently open there, except possibly an albergue. I found myself evaluating why I go on pilgrimage and whether this is, or can be expected to be, a suitable route for my pilgrimage goals. As a walking route, I am finding it increasingly impossible to plan and am wondering why I was making the effort.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It was the 6th stage which defeated me: 38.4 km, with the only alternative being to transfer to the Lana and no accommodation currently open there, except possibly an albergue. I found myself evaluating why I go on pilgrimage and whether this is, or can be expected to be, a suitable route for my pilgrimage goals. As a walking route, I am finding it increasingly impossible to plan and am wondering why I was making the effort.

ok, this is Almansa-Higueruela.
The first time I walked it so, and arrived tired.
But the second time I went by Alpera which cut the 38 km in to legs of 23 and 20 km. Yes Alpera is Camino de la Lana, but only for 3,5 km, then we turn directly to Higueruela with no orientation problem. In Alpera there is a municipal albergue and two `hostales'
See joined documents

Attachments

• Variante de Alpera.pdf
    232.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Variantes Almansa-La Roda.pdf
    474.2 KB · Views: 34
As a walking route, I am finding it increasingly impossible to plan and am wondering why I was making the effort.

I agree with those who say don’t give up yet. @AJ is still in Algemesí, so I think that the one day at a time motto is a good one for this thread. I am pretty confident that the collective wisdom will be able to come up with stages that are manageable. Spoiler alert — I slept in Alpera as JLWV suggests, but stay tuned for that!

This the Club de Tenis de Algemesi.
Yes for restaurant, but never heard about accommodation.
It is some 200 m left of the way, very well visible and with direction signal.
May be ok for a stop for refreshment, but no more, and so next to the city....
www.algetenis.com

It's possible, as I stayed at a golf club near Igueldo outside Saint Sebastian. The restaurant had a few rooms for over-refreshed golfers.

€46,-
Day 2: Algemesí to La Pobla Llarga

The second 'official' stage of the Levante is from Algemesí to Xàtiva, a 30.4 km walk.
We looked at the accommodation along the way, and it looks like a new albergue opened in 2019 in La Pobla Llarga (for the purpose of this virtual Camino, let's forget the current Covid-19 situation). That albergue, which has 6 beds, is half way between Algemesí and Xàtiva, which gives us two days to walk between the two towns. From Algemesí to La Pobla Llarga, it is a 15.3 km walk. Quite manageable.

An alternative is to walk to La Pobla Llarga, then take the Cercania C2 back to Algemesí for the night. The next morning, we could then take the train to La Pobla Llarga and continue from there.

Interestingly, I found rooms and apartments available through an accommodation provider, the name of which starts with Ai and ends in nB, in both Carcaixent and in La Pobla Llarga. That might not suit all budgets, though.

The walk from Algemesí is mostly through orchards, as I can see from satellite imagery. It looks like it is all on road surface, though. There's a number of interesting buildings in the towns we cross, and Carcaixent is known as the "Bressol de la taronja", literally "the cradle of the orange". Shortly after Carcaixent, there is the Ermita de Sant Roc de Ternils, built in the 13th century, at the end of the Romanesque.

In La Pobla Llarga, we'll spend the night at the albergue, keys being available from the local police.

Algemesí to Xàtiva, a 30.4 km walk
Algemesí to La Pobla Llarga, it is a 15.3 km walk
Where are you getting your distances? Mundicamino shows it as 25.2 km to Xàtiva, and 12.1 to La Pobla Llarga. I have noticed that the track I have on Google Earth (attached) goes off to the west between Carcaixent and La Pobla, when there appears to be a more direct route.
Lev1.JPG

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Where are you getting your distances? Mundicamino shows it as 25.2 km to Xàtiva, and 12.1 to La Pobla Llarga. I have noticed that the track I have on Google Earth (attached) goes off to the west between Carcaixent and La Pobla, when there appears to be a more direct route.
View attachment 81450
I have taken the distances from the Amigos website, so the 2nd stage shows 30.4 km between Algemesí and Xàtiva. For the intermediate distances, I have taken them from the accommodation file uploaded to the Resources section of the forum by @JLWV .
I have downloaded the tracks from the Amigos website, and the one for stage 2 also shows the track to the west between Carcaixent and La Pobla.
Interestingly, if I add up the intermediate distances for this stage on the Mundicamino website, I get a total of 25.2 km but the total as 27.2 km 🤨
@peregrina2000 gives the distance for this stage as 30 km when she walked in 2013.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right that this stage is all asphalt. This is your future for the next few days as well. I think the pavement finally gave way to dirt after Moixent. It is a lot of pounding, people need to be careful about shin splints.
In 2018, I had shin splints in the early days of our long walk, while going through France. I used a cryogenic ointment that a pharmacist gave me to help me going. And as we were doing short stages, I recovered quickly and kept going.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Putting my fingers in my ears, closing my eyes tightly, holding on to hope that this Camino which was supposed to be walked earlier this year, will still happen - one day. For now, we’re in lockdown!

Putting my fingers in my ears, closing my eyes tightly, holding on to hope that this Camino which was supposed to be walked earlier this year, will still happen - one day. For now, we’re in lockdown!
You were doing so well in New Zealand...
Don't lose hope! This year, after a week volunteering in SJPdP, we were supposed to have walked the Caminho Português, and then on to Fisterra (which we didn't do when we finished the Norte in 2018), and yet, here we are, Stage 4 lockdown in Melbourne, can't go out for more than 1 hour, can't stray more than 5 km away from home...
What's the saying again? The Camino provides! Trust the future!

€46,-
Melbourne and NZ, my thoughts are with you right now.
And AJ, thank you so much for this diversion. At least we can roam in our minds.
(I am still walking - and will get to Oviedo soon - but have paused the Camino de las Asturias thread while the VdlP and this one have been going...there seems no hurry as the virus is not going away tomorrow.)

Perhaps you should follow Ernest Hemingway's example: "In Valencia it's damned stupendous at the beach or in the city to eat a melon washed down with a real cold jug of beer". He stayed at the Reina Victoria, where a cousin of my mother-in-law's died under unusual circumstances - allegedly bitten through the jugular by his pet ape whilst drunk - working for the Republic in 1937.
Wow, alansykes! I want to know more about your mother-in-law's cousin!!!!!!!!!!! What a story!

Day 4: La Pobla Llarga to Xàtiva

We're walking today the second half of the official stage 2 of the Levante. The distance is 15.1 km, it's flat, and as @peregrina2000 mentioned earlier, we're still walking on asphalt, and we'll be doing so until Moixent.

The walk takes us through two villages, Manuel and Torre Lloris. There's a cute video that shows the latter village, as well as the area around it:

There's not much to add to this stage, except that the town where we are going to end is worth more than a passing visit.

I went to the tourism website of Xàtiva, and I found that there is a lot to see. The website has a video that showcases the town:

The castle itself is worth half a day, and there is much more to see, if like us, you're interested in old stones, history and culture. So we have decided we'll stay two nights here, and have a rest day.

I believe @peregrina2000 stayed at the Albergue Turistico El Palau in 2013. There is also a youth hostel, and 4 hotels.

Day 5: Xàtiva, rest day

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had no idea there was so much more to see in Xátiva, definitely a good place for a rest day! I thought that quite a lot of professional expertise went into the video and website. I was happy to see that the “snow cellar” was described. I had never seen anything like it, and as I was walking back down to town from the castle on a path through the woods, there it was. I have seen one other like it, on the Camí St Jaume, and was able to impress my companions by telling them what it was used for. ;)

Just so you don’t think that all I do is rave about my caminos, I will say that the walk into Xátiva is particularly unappealing, but at least you don’t have to ascend that big hill/rock or whatever you call it that stands before it. But in my blog I noted — “The town I am going to is on the right, so why do I have to circle that rock around to the left?”

And I think I have already raved about that castle enough, it is truly spectacular.

Attachments

• DC839C3F-E3BF-49C2-BAE5-F7CB1D516B9A.jpeg
    DC839C3F-E3BF-49C2-BAE5-F7CB1D516B9A.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 57
  • AF56E04D-3A1C-4038-A27E-3531F6134167.jpeg
    AF56E04D-3A1C-4038-A27E-3531F6134167.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 81CB1A36-C0E1-4859-AAC5-3FBC4774CAA3.jpeg
    81CB1A36-C0E1-4859-AAC5-3FBC4774CAA3.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 62
I like the look of Hotel Mont-Sant at the foot of the castle! Anybody want to share a room? Actually, I think it is too early in this Camino to justify a splurge like that.
I had my eyes on that hotel, too, @C clearly 😄 And I agree, the price tag is a little high...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I believe @peregrina2000 stayed at the Albergue Turistico El Palau in 2013

Yes, that’s right. I stayed in a private room, though. The two French peregrinos, whom I met later the next day, had stayed in the albergue and were quite happy with everything. They were the only ones in the albergue, though they told me that there must often be large groups because there are several large dorm rooms. I believe there was a kitchen, at least that was my impression based on the sound of things early in the morning. ;)

It is in a great location, right in the historic old part of town and easy to walk to the castle.

This is beginning to sound like an impromptu albergue in a luxury hotel: hilarious.
It does look lovely. Balcony with view wow. It would need to be a relatively early stop from the days walk to make the most of it and sitting on the balcony (getting a few hrs of daylight at least with a few nibbles out on the patio ... what a memory. Even better with company - Although i didn’t notice single beds ? So it might be a solo experience overnight if you’re not with your spouse ).

While we were enjoying an evening meal in Xàtiva, we discussed the days ahead. The next official stage is from Xàtiva to Moixent. It is a 27.9 km walk, a distance most pilgrims could walk. In our case, it might be a tad too long. So we looked at a number of options:
a) walk 8.1 km to Canals, stay at the albergue, and then walk to Moixent
b) walk 21.1 km to Vallada, and then walk to Moixent
c) take the Cercania C2 from Xàtiva to L'Alcudia de Crespins, which is a 10 minute train ride, and a 10 minute walk from the station to Canals, and then walk 19.8 km to Moixent.

Option a) has the advantage that we can do some extra sightseeing around Xàtiva before continuing our journey.
Option c) means we might miss out on whatever there is to see between Xàtiva and Canals.
So for the purpose of this virtual Camino, and fully aware that many pilgrims would walk all the way to Moixent, we will take option b) and walk to Vallada (bear with us, we're slow walkers... ;) ).

Day 6: Xàtiva to Vallada

The track will take us through a few villages to Canals, after which there are further orchards. @bjorgts has a video with scenes of the Levante. She mentions that in this section, she "walked in a beautiful valley". Looks nice.

In Vallada, there is an Albergue municipal. The Amigos list a casa rural (Giners) and a Casa de Pueblo La Iglesia. I couldn't find any info about these, but I did find on a booking website a Casa Rural Casa Peseta. I am assuming that as not many pilgrims stop in Vallada, there won't be many suggestions concerning any of these options. @JLWV might be able to shed more light here.

€46,-
Although i didn’t notice single beds ?

Their website takes a few euros off the room price when it is single use, but I am certainly game to share a big bed with another peregrina, which I have done a fair number of times. I still can’t bring myself to do that with a guy, even though I have slept within inches of men in albergues — something about a private room seems very different!

I had forgotten about @bjorts’ videos, they are lovely.

Here is a representative picture of the stretch after Xátiva. It is very pretty, but that asphalt was really starting to do a number on my feet.

The Amigos list a casa rural (Giners) and a Casa de Pueblo La Iglesia. I couldn't find any info about these,

Here is a tiny bit of info about one of the casas rurales. Giners and another bit. I couldn’t find anything on the other place, either, but the one on booking looks very nice!

Attachments

• AC40F7D8-FDA9-469A-B245-C7058B1AE291.jpeg
    AC40F7D8-FDA9-469A-B245-C7058B1AE291.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 56
I am beginning to see that this thread is the best way for me to decide whether I could walk the Levante: let everyone else do all the work, then redo it to fit my own preferences and abilities. And of course it will have to be done all over again when the pandemic is over and everything that has survived may be expected to be open. It's a lot of work, but it is a very long walk, two years' worth for me.

I like the look of Hotel Mont-Sant at the foot of the castle! Anybody want to share a room? Actually, I think it is too early in this Camino to justify a splurge like that.

As a retired public servant of many years standing, I assure you that I can draft you a reasonable rationalization without much trouble.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am beginning to see that this thread is the best way for me to decide whether I could walk the Levante
As I was showing a lot of enthusiasm for the Levante during the zoom information session @peregrina2000 organised, (as I did for the Mozárabe, Olvidado and Invierno 😄 ), she suggested I do this virtual Camino, so that I could compare with the VdlP, and decide which one we would do in real life. It's still early days for us on the virtual Levante, so we'll let you know when we arrive in Zamora...

Here is a tiny bit of info about one of the casas rurales. Giners and another bit. I couldn’t find anything on the other place, either, but the one on booking looks very nice!
I have a feeling the Casa Rural Giners is only apartments. @JLWV mentioned this on the forum, and was going to check it out. The link he has in his post is no longer valid.

I have found another option, which could also work: as the Cercanias C2 line travels all the way to Moixent, after Xàtiva it stops at L'Alcudia de Crespins (for Canals), Montesa and Vallada. So we could walk to a half way point near Montesa, walk 1.6 km to the Montesa train station, ride back to Xàtiva and the next morning take the C2 back to Montesa. A one way trip is 2,05€, and it takes about 15 minutes. The walk from Xàtiva to Montesa station would be 14.8 km, and from Montesa to Moixent 16.3 km.

I have a feeling the Casa Rural Giners is only apartments. @JLWV mentioned this on the forum, and was going to check it out. The link he has in his post is no longer valid.

I have found another option, which could also work: as the Cercanias C2 line travels all the way to Moixent, after Xàtiva it stops at L'Alcudia de Crespins (for Canals), Montesa and Vallada. So we could walk to a half way point near Montesa, walk 1.6 km to the Montesa train station, ride back to Xàtiva and the next morning take the C2 back to Montesa. A one way trip is 2,05€, and it takes about 15 minutes. The walk from Xàtiva to Montesa station would be 14.8 km, and from Montesa to Moixent 16.3 km.
I need continuity on a pilgrim walk. It is not an option for me to take a train or other public transport. I would wrap up in my sleeping bag and sleep in a field first. I am considering taking a lightweight bivi bag for my next camino, if a lack of accommodation to which I could walk seems probable. Either that, or chose another route, where I can walk. I do not find it to be an option for me to be traveling back and forth on public transport in order to be able to say that I have walked the whole route. I don't try to explain this, even to myself. I will do what I must in an emergency, but not otherwise.

I need continuity on a pilgrim walk. It is not an option for me to take a train or other public transport.
I fully understand. Were I walking on my own, I could/would probably walk longer distances. Most pilgrims would easily walk from Xàtiva to Moixent. As I am walking with my darling wife, I am adapting our stages so that she can also walk and it's not an ordeal for her.

I have a feeling the Casa Rural Giners is only apartments.

I think you are right, AJ, but the fact that they have a listing on “infohostal.com” suggests that they will break it up for individuals or smaller groups. At least that has been my experience with that website. But in any event, I would probably go for the place you found on booking.com (Casa Peseta), at least if the wallet can afford it!

I need continuity on a pilgrim walk.

I get that, @Albertagirl. But the information given here suggests that, so far at least, that’s not a problem for people who like to walk in the 25 km range. For you, leaving Xátiva, it’s 28 flat kms to Moixent. And, drum roll please, after Moixent, you are finally going to get on DIRT trails!!!!!

Red letter day for me. Today I got to Oviedo (the Camino de las Asturias thread is on hold...for after this)! So hopping on a train go get down there. I seem to have missed the Parador slumber party, alas, but if not, please count me in!

I have a 2013 complete track of this route downloaded and ready to go, so I'll start where you all happen to be...which today looks like...Xàtiva to Vallada, right AJ?

Last edited:

€83,-
I have a 2013 complete track of this route downloaded and ready to go, so I'll start where you all happen to be...which today looks like...Xàtiva to Vallada, right AJ?
For the purpose of this virtual Camino, that's right, @VNwalking :) Thank you for joining us!

In real life, the use of the Cercanías C2 line really appeals to my darling Rachel, so that's what we might be doing.

I'll be posting our next virtual walk day tomorrow, so you have time to catch up ;)

I'll be posting our next virtual walk day tomorrow, so you have time to catch up ;)
Oh good. Not too late for our night in the Hotel Mont-Sant.

As I am actually trying to actually walk along with the virtual walk I may fall behind pretty quickly. So it's a relief that you aren't posting daily...it would be impossible to keep up with that pace.

Edit - Well I made it as far as a bit past Canals, and there is no way to actually walk all the way to Vallada given how much of the day is left. My OSMand map says there are no in between options, so...already on the back foot! 🤣

Gracias, AJ, for doing this! I know from having done the Viejo that it's a bit of work.

Last edited:
I need continuity on a pilgrim walk. It is not an option for me to take a train or other public transport. I would wrap up in my sleeping bag and sleep in a field first. I am considering taking a lightweight bivi bag for my next camino, if a lack of accommodation to which I could walk seems probable. Either that, or chose another route, where I can walk. I do not find it to be an option for me to be traveling back and forth on public transport in order to be able to say that I have walked the whole route. I don't try to explain this, even to myself. I will do what I must in an emergency, but not otherwise.

In off-track Spain, my experience has been that accommodation is often available upon arrival and enquiry, in situations where it's not clear from the internet. The ususal sources; the barkeeper or the ayuntamiento, the waitress at the cafe, a policeman hanging around, or the older women cleaning the church, will often turn up an unused casa rural or just someone renting a room for a few euro.

As I am actually trying to actually walk along with the virtual walk I may fall behind pretty quickly. So it's a relief that you aren't posting daily...it would be impossible to keep up with that pace.
Wow! So you're actually walking back home, and counting the kilometers or miles towards each stage? That's fantastic @VNwalking ! We can't really do that here at the moment: not allowed to be out of the house for more than 1 hour, and not more than 5 km away from home...

Gracias, AJ, for doing this! I know from having done the Viejo that it's a bit of work.
I have seen the work you have done on the Viejo, posting photos, maps... I have a lot to learn from you!

Wow! So you're actually walking back home, and counting the kilometers or miles towards each stage? That's fantastic @VNwalking ! We can't really do that here at the moment: not allowed to be out of the house for more than 1 hour, and not more than 5 km away from home...
Yes, it's what's helping to keep me sane with the world the way it is right now. I started in March and have managed to walk the Invierno, the Viejo/Olvidado/CF, both to Santiago, then the Camino de las Asturias from Pueblo de Sanabria (where it leaves the Vasco) to Oviedo.

All that has happened in a semi-enclosed corridor in the monastery where I stay; it's cool and covered from the elements and about the length of one of the sides of a cloister in Spain - boring perhaps, but it's very easy to accurately measure how far I've walked without a pedometer/fitbit/gps.

And...today I cheated. I jumped ahead, starting my walk in Canals...so now I am in sync with everyone else!

Hi to all
This week and next one I am very busy with family visits from France and Balears (covid free!), so I can't answer daily, but will inform further (no problem as it is virtual and not live way).
- accommodadions in Vallada to be checked
- after Vallada no more asphalt but dirt trail, I will send a map (when as a pilgrim I went twice by the wrong route, but with the Amigos I got it clear)
- possible new accommodations in Xativa to be checked and confirmed
- industrial areas after Valencia do not finish in Almussafes, but in Silla.
- alfter Manuel the way crosses the territory of Torre Lloris, but not the village itsef
- some aclarations about distancies...
see you further
Jean-Luc

Last edited:

€60,-
I have some very good news. I have to stop feeling sorry for myself and start doing some serious planining to walk the Camino de Levante. Since I saw the surgeon this morning, I am going to near the top of the list for my knee surgery. That means three months, instead of the two years or more that I was anticipating. Three months from now is late December; three months later for recovery is late March. If I can only get a vaccine for the pandemic, I should be ready to walk a camino by then. Maybe I shall try to be in Valencia for Holy Week, if I can find a place to stay. In any case, I now have a real expectation that I shall be able to walk a camino next year. That is certainly a good reason for planning one. I had better get back to it. Thanks for the encouragement from everyone.

Maybe I shall try to be in Valencia for Holy Week, if I can find a place to stay. In any case, I now have a real expectation that I shall be able to walk a camino next year. That is certainly a good reason for planning one. I had better get back to it. Thanks for the encouragement from everyone.
That is excellent news, @Albertagirl ! So happy for you! :)

Day 7: Vallada (or Canals or even from the train station in Montesa) to Moixent

If we spent the night in Vallada, it's only a 6.8 km walk to Moixent, a very short day. We could consider continuing on from Moixent and go to La Font de Figuera, and that would add another 17.6 km, but the two together might be just a little too much, in particular as the next stage is mostly uphill.

In real life, when we will walk this Camino, Rachel will probably choose the option of using the Cercanias line to get to Montesa. That would give us two well balanced days of 15 km and 16 km each. Many pilgrims would have walked to Moixent from Xátiva, so we'll be catching up with them on this virtual Camino.

- after Vallada no more asphalt but dirt trail, I will send a map (when as a pilgrim I went twice by the wrong route, but with the Amigos I got it clear)
We're glad to hear that! :) In her blog on the Levante, @peregrina2000 wrote:
PLEASE stop with the asphalt already!!!
Today was not as long as yesterday´s walk (only 28 compared to yesterday´s 31), but it is taking a toll on my feet. I now search for any little narrow shoulder to avoid the asphalt, you´d think I was a total nut case (well, maybe you already think that!).
As we're watching videos, looking at photos of the Levante, my darling Rachel keeps looking for the narrow shoulders, actually any shoulders ☺

In Moixent, @peregrina2000 stayed at the Corral de Pablanch:
This is an 1850 farm house turned Casa Rural by the great great grandson of the original owner. He and his Peruvian wife are very friendly and helpful. 15 euros for pilgrims for B&B. Dinner at 9 euros is NOT recommended.
Their FB page hasn't been updated since April 2013, but it still has an entry in the Amigos' accommodation list. There is of course a municipal albergue (above the local police station, where you'll get the keys), as well as the Casa Rural La Bodega, and Hotel Rural Makasa.

As dinner at the Corral de Pablanch is not recommended, we'll find somewhere else to eat. Gazpacho is apparently one of the town's typical dishes.

There is also a Moorish castle, more like just a tower, in Moixent, from which you have a great view of the area. There's even a video:
As we have a short day (assuming we walked from Vallada), we'll go up and check it out.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walking into Moixent was a game-changing day for me. I came across two French pilgrims (the ones I had heard in the albergue in Xátiva) and we managed some basic conversation. They went to the Red Cross building, which was open for pilgrims (I think “basic” would be a generous description, so I am glad to see there is now an albergue). I continued on to the Corral de Poblanch, a bit out of town beyond the Red Cross. Never dreamed that many weeks later I would walk into Santiago with them!

I remembered the Corral de Pablanch as being the only game in town other than the Red Cross so I took a look at those two other places AJ listed. The Bodega is about 3.5 km from Moixent according to its webpage, and the Hotel is in town but out by the industrial park (more than 2 km from the center). Not ideal, but do-able.

I remember seeing a very interesting figure in a square and wondered what it was. Turns out it is a reproduction of the Warrior of Moixent, a figurine found near Moixent in an Iberian settlement from several thousand years BC. The original is in the Museo de Prehistoria de Valencia. That fact might put the museum higher on your long list of things to see in Valencia, it looks quite nice. I hadn’t done my homework like you are, and so I missed it. Next time! And it also looks like the archaeological site itself is open for visits, but it’s about 13 km out of town. Maybe the people in the local archaeological museum will take you there. And yes, the local archeological museum is another place I was totally unaware of when I walked through. Though they don’t have the showstopper figurine, it might be interesting.

And as I was searching for information about the figurine, I came across a review of Casa Peseta in Vallada — excellent review, and more importantly, dated June 22, 2020, so this is one place that seems to be open!

This does seem to be the castle route!
So curious minds want to know: what was wrong with dinner at the B&B? Cost, quality, or both? Gazpacho sounds divine, but something more substantial is in order too.
There are a bunch of options:
Screenshot_20200827-201022_Maps.jpg

Edit - we cross-posted...this looks totally fantastic, as does your video, AJ!:
The original is in the Museo de Prehistoria de Valencia. That fact might put the museum higher on your long list of things to see in Valencia, http://www.museuprehistoriavalencia.es/web_mupreva/?q=en/el_museo

Last edited:
I am still looking for somewhere to stay in Vallada, besides Casa Peseta, which looks expensive and is off the camino. An address for the Albergue would be much appreciated, as it does not show up on maps.me. But in the meantime I shall go on to Moixent and beyond. I am finding it a challenge to not have a guidebook with more detailed information to refer to. @JLWV and @peregrina2000 are wonderful resources.

A question
I am finding it a challenge to not have a guidebook with more detailed information to refer to. @JLWV and @peregrina2000 are wonderful resources.
This will turn into one, eventually.
It's a matter of using the map and google together to nose around as we walk, to see what's interesting and where accommodation and sustenance are, what the distances are, and where the interesting sights are.

I am still looking for somewhere to stay in Vallada, besides Casa Peseta, which looks expensive and is off the camino. An address for the Albergue would be much appreciated, as it does not show up on maps.me. But in the meantime I shall go on to Moixent and beyond. I am finding it a challenge to not have a guidebook with more detailed information to refer to. @JLWV and @peregrina2000 are wonderful resources.
@JLWV uploaded two files with accommodation options in the Resource section of the forum, which I am using. Under Vallada, it has this for the albergue:
Albergue (Hostel) municipal: En el paraje de las ermitas, contactar Karen al 636 810 980
I know that is not an exact address, but at least we have a phone number.
Also, as I don't have a guide book, I am using the Amigos website, and in particular for this stage:
The albergue has a website, and one of the tabs is Cómo llegar which yields a map.

Hi, @Albertagirl, the Amigos’ online guide lists the accommodations and seems very up to date — I assume you have seen it, but just in case: http://vieiragrino.com/camino/ - you can click on English and the entire 42 stages in the guide have been translated by a wonderful member of the Association. I saw her on the zoom call, but I hope @JLWV will tell her again how much we appreciate it.

The guide lists the albergue information in Vallada as:
  • Albergue Turístico “Paraje de las Ermitas”: Tel.: 667 162 900. 45 plazas.

They also have a website.
https://www.alberguelasermitas.com/

Looks like it is a little less than a km out of town. I’ve attached a google map.

Attachments

• 9DCD9911-828F-41F5-8C2B-9566D6EB8F83.png
    9DCD9911-828F-41F5-8C2B-9566D6EB8F83.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 51

€60,-
Hi, @Albertagirl, the Amigos’ online guide lists the accommodations and seems very up to date — I assume you have seen it, but just in case: http://vieiragrino.com/camino/ - you can click on English and the entire 42 stages in the guide have been translated by a wonderful member of the Association. I saw her on the zoom call, but I hope @JLWV will tell her again how much we appreciate it.

The guide lists the albergue information in Vallada as:
  • Albergue Turístico “Paraje de las Ermitas”: Tel.: 667 162 900. 45 plazas.

They also have a website.
https://www.alberguelasermitas.com/

Looks like it is a little less than a km out of town. I’ve attached a google map.
Thanks to you both. I had found the albergue on the English website, and a telephone number. It is not listed on booking.com and I could not find it on maps.me. I had not yet considered searching for it by the name of the albergue. That's what happens when I wake up at 4 am and get no further sleep. Mayby I should make a list of places to search, with the most obvious first. I like to find accommodation on maps.me, because that is what I use to find my way to it. You can see why I would find a guidebook useful. But with another six months to plan and lots of knowledgeable people to ask, no doubt I shall work it out. Fortunately, this is only necessary as far as Zamora, since I have walked from there and have access to more information.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back