• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Differences

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
Hello people. I want someone to give me some help with something that we can call a technical doubt.

It’s about backpacks, and precisely, the back part. Beside the respiration thing, what could be the main differences between a backpack with only foam pads in the back from the ones built with a net and a frame section, keeping your back apart from the pack itself?

Could someone help me please?

Best Regards
Diogo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one which is not against your back is so your back drys faster when you sweat.

Ondo Ibili !

Only that? No difference for the back support or anything else?

Best Regards
Diogo

They don't know nothing (at the sport shop). I'm asking this because I'm thinking of changing my Quechua Forclaz 40 backpack for another one, and I was thinking of buying one with the net system, but they are expensive has hell here in Portugal.

Best Regards
Diogo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was seeing some in SportsDirect.com, but it seems like I have to go back to good ol' Quechua.

Best Regards
Diogo

Hi Diogo

The frame and net style is often referred to as a trampoline type. There are pros and cons for both types. The advantage of the trampoline type is that, as you have already noted, it provides greater airflow and thus better ventilation, especially if you sweat a lot like me. The disadvantage is that it puts the pack further out from your body and your centre of gravity, although this is not such an issue in smaller (and hence lighter) packs. Another disadvantage is that in some designs, the bag of the pack is made in an arch shape to provide the air gap. This shape can therefore make the pack more difficult to pack/access and may restrict the usable space.

Those packs without a frame and just the foam pads can be tricky to get a good fit, especially if there is also no stiffening board fitted. It means that you need to be careful to pack the bag so that the back is flat and not lumpy. Also, the load is likely to settle as you walk, which may make it uncomfortable.

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference as to which style you go for. I suggest you try some out with a test load to see how they feel.

I have an Osprey Stratos which has a trampoline back and a quite pronounced air gap. It was a personal choice as I sweat a lot and I found it quite comfortable to wear.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Diogo

The frame and net style is often referred to as a trampoline type. There are pros and cons for both types. The advantage of the trampoline type is that, as you have already noted, it provides greater airflow and thus better ventilation, especially if you sweat a lot like me. The disadvantage is that it puts the pack further out from your body and your centre of gravity, although this is not such an issue in smaller (and hence lighter) packs. Another disadvantage is that in some designs, the bag of the pack is made in an arch shape to provide the air gap. This shape can therefore make the pack more difficult to pack/access and may restrict the usable space.

Those packs without a frame and just the foam pads can be tricky to get a good fit, especially if there is also no stiffening board fitted. It means that you need to be careful to pack the bag so that the back is flat and not lumpy. Also, the load is likely to settle as you walk, which may make it uncomfortable.

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference as to which style you go for. I suggest you try some out with a test load to see how they feel.

I have an Osprey Stratos which has a trampoline back and a quite pronounced air gap. It was a personal choice as I sweat a lot and I found it quite comfortable to wear.

Well, some of the Quechua models have the ventilation system, but it's not so spaced has the normal net systems. I still have to choose if I really want to change my backpack or not. If it's to save 200g only, I rather prefer to keep with it.

Best Regards
Diogo

@muzzal has provided a great, technically sound explanation. I have used a trampoline frame for several years on a 30li (notional) pack, and it works quite well at keeping my back dry, but it doesn't have the high arch that I see on newer styles of this frame type. This year I bought a larger (38li) version from my wife when we walked Milford Track in NZ. It was more difficult to pack because of the way that the arch bend shaped the pack itself. I have found it a comfortable pack, and might use it next year if I can get my packing list trimmed down a bit more. Otherwise I will use a slightly larger framed pack with conventional padding.

As an aside, mesh backs have been used on external framed backpacks for years. I still have a Berghaus Centurion pack from the late 1970s that had two mesh panels. The change has been to move from the classic parallel/H frame design with all its protruding bits to an external frame essentially the same shape as the bag, and using the fabric of the bag to tension the frame and mesh. The lack of protruding bits of frame makes a big difference when it is not being worn.

Regards.

Another advantage of a trampoline frame, if you're walking in windy conditions, is that helps to reduce the amount of solid wind resistance created by your upper body and pack- and the consequent 'buffeting' effect which can be destabilising when walking on snow and ice-every little helps!
I love them but as ever with gear options it's a case of 'suck and see';)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you very much for all your advices! Has I've said, I will try some models, and probably will buy one from Quechua, because of two thigs: they don't have the arch support that many people talked about, so they are easier to pack, and because they are a hibrid of padded with air system. See the photos that I've attached to the file.

Thanks once again.

Best Regards
Diogo

Attachments

• mochila-forclaz-40-air.jpg
    mochila-forclaz-40-air.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 16
  • mochila-forclaz-40-air2.jpg
    mochila-forclaz-40-air2.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 14
  • mochila-forclaz-40-air3.jpg
    mochila-forclaz-40-air3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
They don't know nothing (at the sport shop). I'm asking this because I'm thinking of changing my Quechua Forclaz 40 backpack for another one, and I was thinking of buying one with the net system, but they are expensive has hell here in Portugal.

Best Regards
Diogo
Ebay :) Good luck. (PS. I watched that Camino del Rey video on your blog... Aargh ! Did you make that ? )

Ebay :) Good luck. (PS. I watched that Camino del Rey video on your blog... Aargh ! Did you make that ? )

Will have to choose Ebay.co.uk, because if I send it from the US, I will probably have problems with Customs Service, and have to pay an extra taxe of 23% under the total value (yes, If I import something from outside the European Community Space, I have to pay the VAT two times, one for the company that I bought the product, and one for the Portugueses State, bahhh).

I didn't, but I'm intending to do. After loosing a little bit more of my fear from heights!

Best Regards
DIogo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Will have to choose Ebay.co.uk, because if I send it from the US, I will probably have problems with Customs Service, and have to pay an extra taxe of 23% under the total value (yes, If I import something from outside the European Community Space, I have to pay the VAT two times, one for the company that I bought the product, and one for the Portugueses State, bahhh).

I didn't, but I'm intending to do. After loosing a little bit more of my fear from heights!

Best Regards
DIogo
Don't do it ! Life is better !

It's also the think that I'm afraid of, if I buy something from abroad.

Best Regards
Diogo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's also the think that I'm afraid of, if I buy something from abroad.

Best Regards
Diogo
If you were avoiding a tension mess / trampoline frame because it might be difficult to pack, this could be worse. It will take some care to ensure that the load isn't lumpy and push out into your back in awkward places. Get it wrong and your pack will be lumpy, lopsided and badly balanced. Comparisons to sacks of potatoes come to mind.

Regards

If you were avoiding a tension mess / trampoline frame because it might be difficult to pack, this could be worse. It will take some care to ensure that the load isn't lumpy and push out into your back in awkward places. Get it wrong and your pack will be lumpy, lopsided and badly balanced. Comparisons to sacks of potatoes come to mind.

Regards

Yes, I know it. My Forclaz 40 have a aluminium bar inside that makes those things not to happen. I will still visit SportsDirect and Sportzone first to see what they have. But I really loved that last backpack that I shared in here. I think that every trekking and traveling backpack in these days have some kind of bar(s) or frame to help to prevent that.

Best Regards
Diogo

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back