Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Diomondi or Chantada? (In the winter)

WestKirsty

Time of past OR future Camino
CNorte/Prim 2016
CSal 2017
CF 2021/22
CVasco 2022
Hi! I was wondering if I could get some perspectives from the Invierno alumni. I am planning to walk the Invierno over the Christmas break later this year (I've got a while yet but I'm getting exciting planning already!). I really appreciate @Athena Atterdag's incredibly helpful post and, after reading it, figured I would follow her stages - with just one adjustment to stay in the new albergue at Diomondi.

I've read more threads on here, though, and am having second thoughts due to its location. I like a quiet Camino and don't mind staying alone in albergues but how remote is Diomondi? One post mentioned Cantina Mean nearby, but I suspect there's a good chance it won't be open when I'm there. Of course, I can pack in food but I suppose my question is would you feel ok staying there alone in winter? It looks incredible and I imagine it would be an experience! I do love old, historic buildings. But since there's a reasonable chance I'd be there alone, is it worth it? Or should I plan to walk to Chantada where there are more facilities/people about?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
K

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

dick bird

Staff member
Plata, Ingles, Madrid, Norte, Primitivo, Invierno, Aragones, Olvidado, Chemin D'Arles
I think if you are going to walk the Invierno at any time of year, you will have to get used to being on your own. The Diomondi albergue didn't exist when we walked the Invierno so I can't comment on it, but it can't be any more remote than other places on that route, and we did stay at albergues where we had to carry in our own food. If it were me, I'd stay there and maybe you'll have a chance to go inside the church. DSC04680.JPG

peregrina2000

Staff member
One good thing about the services on the Invierno is that though there are fewer than on most other caminos, they are not pilgrim-dependent. So I think it’s very possible/likely that the cantina will be open (a quick call could confirm that, though, since you are in Spain). Having said that, I do know that Torre Vilariño closes for a month, maybe November, but that’s vacation, not because of the camino.

Diomondi is not remote, it is in a rural area on a road, with houses scattered along the road. I wouldn’t think twice about staying there alone in any season.

Lucky you to walk the Invierno in the invierno.

WestKirsty

CNorte/Prim 2016
CSal 2017
CF 2021/22
CVasco 2022
Diomondi is not remote, it is in a rural area on a road, with houses scattered along the road. I wouldn’t think twice about staying there alone in any season.

Lucky you to walk the Invierno in the invierno.

Thanks for this! One of the posts here used the phrase "middle of nowhere" when talking about Diomondi so the image in my mind was different from a rural area with houses about. This is just fine!

I need to contain my excitement about this Camino...Christmas is still a long way off!

Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
would you feel ok staying there alone in winter?
I'd do so in an eye-blink!
It was not there when I walked and is a wonderful addition to the Invierno.
As Laurie said, there are houses nearby so it's not completely isolated.
One option for food is to stop by Torre Vilariño for lunch and get dinner to take away. They have wonderful food!

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino

WestKirsty

CNorte/Prim 2016
CSal 2017
CF 2021/22
CVasco 2022
Thanks so much for the replies and food ideas! They are much appreciated :)

I somehow envisioned myself alone, in an isolated building with a storm raging outside (I always assume the worst with the weather) and it made me question my original idea. I will question it no more!

(But yes, the storm is still possible...could be fun though!)

Frances (2013), Primitivo (2015), Muxia/Fisterra (2015), Haervejen (2017)
I'd stay at Diomondi! As others have said, it's not "remote". We easily got a cab from there to Chantada on our limping Camino this past summer....