• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Discount train card for pensioners

bkkboy

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi.
I believe older pilgrims get a 30% discount on trains on production of a pensioner card. I assume I can buy the card at Madrid station or preferably the airport. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I last bought one from the train station in Bilbao. From memory it cost 6 euros. The discount varies but is certainly worth having. I think the card is called targeta dorada and is available to over 60s. You don't have to be Spanish or an EU citizen: just old.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can only get them at the train station window in person. You'll need to show a passport with your date of birth. (There is a train station window in terminal 4 at the Madrid Airport.) Almost every time I ride the train, I also need to show the card with my discounted ticket. Don't lose it! It's just a little paper card. Last year I renewed mine for 3 years for only 15 euros.

Last edited:
It may be cheaper to buy a ticket at an advance purchase fare online, than to buy it with a Tarjeta Dorada when you get there. Much depends on how much you are travelling in Spain and whether you are able to plan in advance. Details at https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-spain.htm
In Portugal you just have to show your passport to get a 50% discount on train travel.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can only get them at the train station window in person. You'll need to show a passport with your date of birth. (There is a train station window in terminal 4 at the Madrid Airport.) Almost every time I ride the train, I also need to show the card with my discounted ticket. Don't lose it! It's just a little paper card. Last year I renewed mine for 3 years for only 15 euros.
Hello @jwillhaus
I also bought a 3yr ticket (September 2023) and the ticket is easy to misplace (currently with my passports). I have however taken a good photo of it and it could easily tie it in with my passport details. Do you have any experience of using photographic proof instead of the actual ticket?

BTW - Loved your recent blog

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It may be cheaper to buy a ticket at an advance purchase fare online, than to buy it with a Tarjeta Dorada when you get there. Much depends on how much you are travelling in Spain and whether you are able to plan in advance.
That's very true. If you book as soon as tickets are released for your date/route the price can be much lower than the savings with a Tarjeta Dorada. However, it's definitely worth getting, because it's renewable online, and once you have it you can purchase advance tickets with the discount.

In Spain: All previous years it was +60, and it is now as well.

I think you might have misread @JCLima - she’s quoting @BarbaraW post about Portugal, i.e. you have to be 65+ to get the discount in Portugal.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I was using my Tarjeta Dorada in September and October 2023 I had to buy tickets using a web browser on my phone. The Renfe app had an option for this discount as a type of ticket but no way to enter the discount at checkout.

When I was using my Tarjeta Dorada in September and October 2023 I had to buy tickets using a web browser on my phone. The Renfe app had an option for this discount as a type of ticket but no way to enter the discount at checkout.
you enter your tarjeta number before you purchase the ticket. Not at checkout..

That said RENFE's website is a pile of shite. That's why I buy my tickets at railway stations

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi.
I believe older pilgrims get a 30% discount on trains on production of a pensioner card. I assume I can buy the card at Madrid station or preferably the airport. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
At the ticket service I was told that they can usually issue almost the same discount to you without ther Tarjeta Dorada card....

At the ticket service I was told that they can usually issue almost the same discount to you without ther Tarjeta Dorada card....
For the somewhat trivial cost you might as well get a Tarjeta Dorada and see what the cheapest option is when you come to purchase a ticket. Compared to UK prices (and not allowing for the fact that a proportion of UK trains are not operating on any given day) an advance purchase RENFE ticket is remarkably inexpensive.

If you are in a city which has a Corte ingles travel agency, you can also get the Tarjeta Dorada there plus train tickets… beats queuing in major train stations!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello @jwillhaus
I also bought a 3yr ticket (September 2023) and the ticket is easy to misplace (currently with my passports). I have however taken a good photo of it and it could easily tie it in with my passport details. Do you have any experience of using photographic proof instead of the actual ticket?

BTW - Loved your recent blog
I have never tried a photo, but they usually ask to see my actual card. I usually buy in advance through trainline and not at the station which saves my Dorada number in my profile and applies it automatically to my purchases. It also keeps track of my expiration date.

In this past October my wife and I used our "old people card". I had my physical card, but had renewed hers online. At the train station in Madrid when going through the ticket check/security they wanted to see the physical card. They had her go back to the ticket counter where they printed a fresh copy for her. Just something to think about since the pictures we had were not good enough.

That's very true. If you book as soon as tickets are released for your date/route the price can be much lower than the savings with a Tarjeta Dorada. However, it's definitely worth getting, because it's renewable online, and once you have it you can purchase advance tickets with the discount.
That's great to know that you can renew on line.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When you select the Tarjeta Dorada ticket option, the website should adjust the fare without a code. They will ask the number of you Tarjeta Dorada somewhere in the process.

When you select the Tarjeta Dorada ticket option, the website should adjust the fare without a code. They will ask the number of you Tarjeta Dorada somewhere in the process.
@Steven Dwyer, I had no problem using the discount on the website. I could not get the discount to apply in the Renfe app on my iPhone. I contacted customer service and they said (at that time in Sept/Oct, maybe that's changed) the Dorada Tarjeta discount only worked on the website not the app. The problem for me was the app.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"It may be cheaper to buy a ticket at an advance purchase fare online than to buy it with a Tarjeta Dorada when you get there." How much in advance do you need to buy a ticket to get a decent discount? I will be traveling with a younger person.

"It may be cheaper to buy a ticket at an advance purchase fare online than to buy it with a Tarjeta Dorada when you get there." How much in advance do you need to buy a ticket to get a decent discount? I will be traveling with a younger person.
Buy the tickets as soon as they are released if you can.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I got myTarjeta Dorada on line several months before I left home and used them to purchase my tickets as soon as they were available, on line. Great discount and easy to do. Oh and I did get a three year Tarjeta Dorada card so I won't need to renew them every time.

I got myTarjeta Dorada on line several months before I left home and used them to purchase my tickets as soon as they were available, on line. Great discount and easy to do. Oh and I did get a three year Tarjeta Dorada card so I won't need to renew them every time.
I thought that you had to buy it in person for your original card, but that you can renew online.

I thought that you had to buy it in person for your original card, but that you can renew online.
Now that you mention it I’m not sure. I had purchased cards a few years ago and renewed them online, after they had expired, but didn’t try to get a brand new card online.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did a comparison using Omio on different dates. One-way train fare from Madrid to Pamplona on the 7:35 am train is:
22 February: 84 Euros
22 March: 32 Euros
22 April: 26 Euros (over three times cheaper)
Booking as much in advance as possible is certainly a cost saver.

Now that you mention it I’m not sure. I had purchased cards a few years ago and renewed them online, after they had expired, but didn’t try to get a brand new card online.
You have to buy the first one in person so they can check your passport and enter the info. You are supposed to he able renew online although we had to do it in person since Renfe would not accept my credit card online.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How did you get one for yeard? Did you get it online?

You have to buy the first one in person so they can check your passport and enter the info. You are supposed to he able renew online although we had to do it in person since Renfe would not accept my credit card online.
Odd. I have never had any problems with Renfe accepting my credit cards. Luck of the draw I guess.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How did you get one for yeard? Did you get it online?
The first card you have to get in person at the train station so they can enter your information into their system. I am often asked to show my card at the train station or on the train, especially if I have purchased the ticket online so be sure you carry and protect the card when traveling. (Mine is just a little paper card issued by the clerk at the train station.

I have but I think it was my bank's problem because it was from Europe. Next trip I will notify the bank that I'll be in Europe.
I used my amex at the Renfe site without notifying anyone. Amex doesn't require notification, I spoke with them direct years ago, but Visa and Mastercard like to know where you are traveling. Not sure about the others.

I haven't bought a Tarjeta Dorada yet, but when I've booked online with Renfe I used PayPal when I had trouble with my US bank credit card bring accepted.

I haven't bought a Tarjeta Dorada yet, but when I've booked online with Renfe I used PayPal when I had trouble with my US bank credit card bring accepted.
Of course you must be too young.
I know the Renfe site can be a little, shall we say wonky. It doesn't really display in the languages you select since they do seem to post "picture" or PDF content which is never translated so you get some translations on a page and some not. Fortunate for me my wife is a native spanish speaker that helps with something I don't get or feel might be important.

As for the credit card, I always use amex and it happens to work fine for me, but maybe I am special? You might check that your card is not really a debit card since they can frequently restrict international usage, or sometimes only work if the site allows you to enter a pin if needed. The good news is it has never failed me and once I got used to the quirks it became easy for a couple times every year or two.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Of course you must be too young.
I wish!
As for the credit card, I always use amex and it happens to work fine for me, but maybe I am special? You might check that your card is not really a debit card since they can frequently restrict international usage, or sometimes only work if the site allows you to enter a pin if needed
It was definitely a credit card, but it's been several years since I bought a Renfe ticket.

My US card is rejected by Renfe online, but Renfe can use it in person. Another forum member explained that some of the US cards do not have the same level of security required as some of the EU issued cards for the overseas transaction. I have not tried to use it for several years so that may have been resolved. Instead I purchase through Trainline if I have to buy tickets and they do accept my Chase card.

€60,-
The first card you have to get in person at the train station so they can enter your information into their system. I am often asked to show my card at the train station or on the train, especially if I have purchased the ticket online so be sure you carry and protect the card when traveling. (Mine is just a little paper card issued by the clerk at the train station.
It looks like you can purchase a Tarjeta Dorado for one year on-line. It gives you the 1, 2 or 3 year option.

Separately, can you use a digital card or do you need a physical card.

It looks like you can purchase a Tarjeta Dorado for one year on-line. It gives you the 1, 2 or 3 year option.
I only see the option to renew the Tarjeta Dorada online, not to purchase one for the first time.

€60,-
I only see the option to renew the Tarjeta Dorada online, not to purchase one for the first time.

☺️your absolutely correct, my bad. Not paying enough attention

<<<Tarjeta Dorada Card​

If you are over 60, make sure you are eligible for a discount on all your train trips for just 6 euros. You can purchase your Tarjeta Dorada, which is named and non-transferable, at station ticket offices or travel agencies.>>>

Separately, can you use a digital card or do you need a physical card.
like so many security checkpoints it is not consistent. Departing from Madrid we only needed to show the digital pictures but departing Santiago they wanted the paper cards, which was easy enough since they just printed them at the ticket counter upon request. So I guess it is determined by the individual checking?

like so many security checkpoints it is not consistent. Departing from Madrid we only needed to show the digital pictures but departing Santiago they wanted the paper cards, which was easy enough since they just printed them at the ticket counter upon request. So I guess it is determined by the individual checking?
I have also been checked on board the train and saw another passenger fined because he did not his card on his person. It was a Media distance train with no security checkpoint, but a conductor on board.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I tried to renew online and it kept saying my mobile number was in the incorrect format. I tried several ways using my US cell phone number and my Guatemalan cell phone number with dashes and without.

I did a comparison using Omio on different dates. One-way train fare from Madrid to Pamplona on the 7:35 am train is:
22 February: 84 Euros
22 March: 32 Euros
22 April: 26 Euros (over three times cheaper)
Booking as much in advance as possible is certainly a cost saver.
Would some kind soul with a concession card check how much the concession fare from Madrid to Pamplona, on the 7:35 am train, be if traveling within the next few days? This would be a good comparison.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
you enter your tarjeta number before you purchase the ticket. Not at checkout..

That said RENFE's website is a pile of shite. That's why I buy my tickets at railway stations
Thanks, that was not clear to me. I thought having the number in my profile would be enough. Silly me.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back