• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need to include a plate in my packing?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you like to make for example a little self made salad at noon on the camino, why not?

I took a pocket knife and collapsible cup.
  • The pocket knife was used to cut pan, chorizo, cheese, etc using my food bag as a mat which sometimes was augmented by placing my Brierley's underneath it to give a more solid cutting space, eg if you are not able to find a bench to sit at.
  • The cup made drinking from fountains just that little less awkward than leaning down and using one's cupped hands.

I cannot recall an albergue without cutlery and crockery. And they all had places to give whatever was there an extra wash and rinse if you felt that was also needed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
didn't bring cup didn't bring cutlery and still ate and drank every day...

but then i like to travel light...

I took no plate, cup, or cutlery on any of my walks.
Where you cook, there are generally dishes and silverware
They do make some really cool lightweight stuff these days.
I suspect you won't use it, though.
It's really up to you.

I took a plastic plate,fork and knife last year and never used them.I found it cheaper to eat out but of course its up to yourself.Im heading back in April and wont bring them again.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I read somewhere that one person took the flexible plastic lid off a large ice cream tub to use as a plate ... seems like a pretty good idea to me :)

Yes Yes, take a plate, eating a salad out in the middle of no-where is to behold,
just be a bit entrepreneurial & use the lid off something :D

.........then all the doubters above will be very jealous as they struggle past :lol:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We take sporks and two small, 14cm square, pieces cut from a thin flexible plastic chopping mat. Great for cutting things on and virtually no weight. Mini very sharp knife is in our Victorinox card. Sporks have a serated edge on the fork end and the spoon is good for easy opening cans of peaches - our occasional luxury item.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I also vote no to plate and cutlery. I *may* bring a spork, but I doubt it. Generally my knife will do for making sandwiches, etc. and you can usually drink a yogurt.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As above, only a corkscrew if needed. All else can be improvised easily.

On one Camino (2006) I decided to have cereal for breakfast. I carried it and used a lightweight plastic beaker for the bowl and a spoon with which to eat it.

More trouble than it was worth especially since you can't buy small cartons of milk in Spain. I then either had to carry the milk or sling it.

I haven't bothered since.

Only if you intend to prepare your own food you might need plates etc in case the albergues dont have them or other pilgrims have beaten you to them.

I just found it easier to eat out and live on hand held snacks.

Hello Miles,

I was going to take a metal plate that i came across in a camping store but i soon abandoned it due to excess weight that i did not want to carry.

My solution. I am going to take a reasonably large foil pie or flan case, They can be bought from all supermarkets in the baking section.
One thing to watch, they have little perforations in the base of the case. Obviously this is for the heat to penetrate into the base of the pie or flan that is being cooked.
So unless you are going to have liquids with your food then it should be no problem

It weighs next to nowt (nothing) about 20 g and i am sure that i can give mine a good clean for re-use. They are quite robust. Failing that, just take one or two of them. You can also fold them in half with no problem.

Even better buy a pie or quiche or a flan and use the one that is supplied with it. Just give it a good clean.

By elbowing the plate, i have saved over 100g.

Who knows, we might not even need it.

Best regards and keep the weight down.

Charlieboy

For lunches, I only brought a single-use small plastic spoon – which I used multiple times for fishing things out of a tin (canned clams and sardines come to mind) – it weighed next to nothing.

Next time I am considering to maybe bring a couple of toothpicks to eat olives in a dainty way (but will of course need to consider weight … :wink: )

AND – of course – I had my multipurpose knife which included a corkscrew! At one time, I saved the day at a private albergue when unopened wine bottles were on the table – the owner had left - and alas no corkscrew around. I became the star of the evening on that occasion – my 15 minutes of fame …

I was not too particular about cutting surfaces – if in particular need, I would use paper from the 'roll' I was carrying.

I use a napkin over my lap but this doesn't work unless it is bread and cheese and sausage!

Could I suggest, if you want to take a plate - and why not? - take a Frisbee.

Light, flexible, neat anti-spill lipped edge - and you can have fun with it too!

Just a thought :wink:

David said:
- take a Frisbee. Light, flexible, neat anti-spill lipped edge - and you can have fun with it too!
Great idea, one wouldn't need a place mat! 8)

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back