• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Do not climb over this fence

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Having walked 2200km of Camino de santiago paths i can tell you i never once had to climb a fence.
Once i had to step over a small fence where the continuation (a road) was visible and i wondered why the landowner put the fence there... But my experience is if you have to climb you took a wrong turn.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having walked 2200km of Camino de santiago paths i can tell you i never once had to climb a fence.
Once i had to step over a small fence where the continuation (a road) was visible and i wondered why the landowner put the fence there... But my experience is if you have to climb you took a wrong turn.
The fact of something never having happened in the past does not preclude the possibility of that something occurring in the future. I don’t think Spain is the only country where naughty landowners erect fences across footpaths.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But sometimes the simplest assumption is correct. I.e a wrong turn.
That was the point in this case. We climbed it twice - once in each direction - because it was the wrong path. However, occasionally gates are locked on lesser travelled routes when they should not be. One must make a decision on the spot on how to handle the situation

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
That was the point in this case. We climbed it twice - once in each direction - because it was the wrong path. However, occasionally gates are locked on lesser travelled routes when they should not be. One must make a decision on the spot on how to handle the situation

That was my simple assumption.

Also, you might have experienced this situation once you have walked 10,000 or 15,000 km.

I've had to climb a few fences, walls and gates over the years, in the course of my caminos. The most memorable one was a chained pair of gates a couple of days before Cuenca on the Lana in 2019. It had sinister looking sign warning of being shot. Just as I was contemplating throwing caution to the wind, the landowner suddenly appeared in a jeep and reluctantly allowed me through, but it was an eerie experience. Just last October on the latter stages of the Invierno, I had to walk for a couple of hundred metres along the top of a stone wall to keep dry, as the path was ankle deep in water and cowshit. But looking back, all in a days walking and I wouldn't change it.. 😊

Never say never! Walking from the Liola Sanctuary back onto the Norte, someone had installed a barbed wire fence directly across the marked GR path. Very obvious where the path was, but because so few actually walk that route, someone must have decided it was an okay thing to do. Fortunately, we were able to scoot under it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
150.png

A classic application of the experimental method:
Hypothesis
Theory
Perform experiment to test hypothesis/theory
Replication of experiment by an independent second researcher
Analysis of findings, and conclusion
Publish the new knowledge

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also, you might have experienced this situation once you have walked 10,000 or 15,000 km.
I am only a lititle over 8,000K and I have had to climb a few myself. Which camino are you on now? I am zeroing in on Mozarabe for next year. How is life on the Via Serrana?

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am only a lititle over 8,000K and I have had to climb a few myself. Which camino are you on now? I am zeroing in on Mozarabe for next year. How is life on the Via Serrana?

On the Mozarabe, 1400km, I didn't climb any fences. I stepped over 2 x 3ft fences (one fence, one wire), either side of one field - i followed the route but even this could be avoided by a small detour

I think any route with a pilgrims association has an "official" route, with changes quickly noted on Camino apps.

I think we're finding technology, with time, is replacing worn arrows and outdated descriptions in guidebooks.

I did meet pilgrims using guidebooks who had stories about crossing no entry signs, coming to a wooden bridge with a "do not cross" sign (which they had to cross).. it makes for a fun story and in a way maybe we're losing something of those charming instances of ducking under electric fences, walking through a field with a bull, scaling locked gates, all in a scramble to get to Santiago!

I grew up working with livestock in cattle country. The general rule is if a gate is closed ,close it behind you and if it gate is open, leave it that way. it’s very important to do that.
I think the occasional inconveniently locked gate is usually because the clueless pilgrims have let the cows in the cornfield yet again.

I did meet pilgrims using guidebooks who had stories about crossing no entry signs, coming to a wooden bridge with a "do not cross" sign (which they had to cross).. it makes for a fun story and in a way maybe we're losing something of those charming instances of ducking under electric fences, walking through a field with a bull, scaling locked gates, all in a scramble to get to Santiago!
I think a little bit of uncertainty and trepidation can be a good thing, honing our senses, keeping us aware and in the moment!

Too much reliance on apps can do quite the opposite, insulating us from our environment. Even the uncertainty of where we will sleep can be liberating in it's own way, if we can just learn to let go..

Hola @peregrina2000, not being familiar with your location I went to google maps. So it looks like you are on a camino somewhere SE of Sevilla. Hope its a great camino. Cheers

I'm just about to start my first Camino and am getting excited,nervous,worried and impatient, my last long wander was the E4 in Crete where farmers have a habit of fencing over the path is this the case along the CF?

I'm just about to start my first Camino and am getting excited,nervous,worried and impatient, my last long wander was the E4 in Crete where farmers have a habit of fencing over the path is this the case along the CF?
No .
Zero need for concern on the Frances - it's a pilgrim highway. Literally. Take a look at some of the photos on here, like the photos of the meseta for example.

@peregrina2000 and a few others like her have the envious habit of walking caminos that practically nobody else has ever heard of. When they mention the thousands of kilometers they've walked they're not joking..... .

Yeah, it could be a wrong turn.
But sometimes, depending of you physical condition, it is still an interesting challenge ;)
And sometimes, my curiosity overcomes my fears.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The fact of something never having happened in the past does not preclude the possibility of that something occurring in the future. I don’t think Spain is the only country where naughty landowners erect fences across footpaths.
In England, it happens a lot, but they're not “naughty." They’re just keeping their animals under control. And they always provide ways for walkers to get by.

In England, it happens a lot, but they're not “naughty." They’re just keeping their animals under control. And they always provide ways for walkers to get by.
Regrettably not always.

It’s 25 years since I lived in the UK, I used to walk regularly with two groups fighting to keep public footpath’s open. Even on relatively well travelled/ frequently walked paths it was not uncommon to find locked gates, styles removed, new permanent fences, thorn bushes planted across the path, barbed wire etc blocking our way. Let alone path’s ploughed and not re-marked, and many other illegal acts. We had many, confrontations with irate landowners denying us access, even dog’s set on us. It still happens to this day, although better education ( of landowners) has reduced the number of serious incidents ( police involvement).

I’m still in occasional contact with one of my ‘crew’, she still finds the same issues, although fortunately not as frequently as previously. And very few where she lives!!

I would add: 95% or more landowners are accepting/very reasonable/ occasionally even welcoming. ( Benches, rubbish bin’s, even water taps!!).

Landowners and farmers are for the most part, simply fed up with day trippers thrashing their lands: leaving gates open, lighting fires, leaving rubbish and broken bottles, shitting up the place etc. Some are reasonable and try to make concessions, some are less so. But all quite understandable, and unfortunate for those who do manage to act responsibly.

Let’s keep this relevant to the Camino, which is in Spain. For whatever reason, there is little or no difficulty but on some routes it is a different matter. The Camino is not popular with everybody and on other routes I have seen a number of attempts, usually quite petty, to sabotage the Camino by painting over arrows, painting false arrows and even putting locked gates across it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am pretty sure that is a walk in the park to Peregrina2000! There is always the possibility of a first time....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've had to climb a few fences, walls and gates over the years, in the course of my caminos. The most memorable one was a chained pair of gates a couple of days before Cuenca on the Lana in 2019. It had sinister looking sign warning of being shot. Just as I was contemplating throwing caution to the wind, the landowner suddenly appeared in a jeep and reluctantly allowed me through, but it was an eerie experience. Just last October on the latter stages of the Invierno, I had to walk for a couple of hundred metres along the top of a stone wall to keep dry, as the path was ankle deep in water and cowshit. But looking back, all in a days walking and I wouldn't change it.. 😊
I was there in October, and had to do the exact same thing you did... just to find out we could have continued on the road 20 meters parallel, a much better option. Especially since I almost lost my footing on a loose stone, and almost fell to --God forbid-- a possible fracture.

I do recall a place on the Camino where
I was there in October, and had to do the exact same thing you did... just to find out we could have continued on the road 20 meters parallel, a much better option. Especially since I almost lost my footing on a loose stone, and almost fell to --God forbid-- a possible fracture.

they have a sign on their driveway saying that this isn't a restaurant or rest stop. It actually looks like it is one. And I'm sure that that's why they put the sign up!

I tried to find some info on the Via Serrana, found some interesting sites, this one seems to have a
plethora of info on lots of caminos ::

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Still in early planning, but I do consider the Via Serrana for next year and to actually start in Tarifa. I would like to stay as close to the coast as possible on that first stretch leading to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back