• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you know where this is?

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
ruin on left.jpg

Hello all. Do you remember this place? I thought I would put this photo on here and ask for your help - there is a tree covered ruin on the left - do you know where it is?
????????? I'm fairly certain it is in Rioja - have vague memories but cannot place it ......

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I recall a similar piece of terrain. If it is the same, as you turn to the right and cross the ridgeline on the horizon, there was an old shed where a kind Spaniard was offering refreshments. There was a similar stretch where someone had set up a roadside coffee stop in the back of his van, but I don't think it was that one.

Regards,

This looks like a stretch between Santo Domingo de Calzada and Castildelgado.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Correct Olivares

@David

I'm sure that this is the stretch just after Ciruena on the way to Sto.Domingo de la Calzada. Compare your photo with mine and you can easily see the same bend of the path to the right on the horizon. Even the horizontal line of trees/bush on the left side of my photo (with the single tree on the slope beneath it) is the same. Glad to figure it out :D

0599-path after Ciruena (Najera-Sto.Domingo de la Calzada, 25.05.2011).jpg

6 days before I leave and this photo with its vastness makes the time drag for me to leave. But I am Patient and it will come.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What another amazing service provided by this forum ! ;) I think I have the same place (photo 21/04/13) & agree with the current ID ( between Ciruena & Santo Domingo De Calzada; in fact I think Brierley has the same photo Pg 36 in Maps only guide)

Camino de Santiago Apr 2013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
6 days before I leave and this photo with its vastness makes the time drag for me to leave. But I am Patient and it will come.

I can feel your anticipation. But wait to see the vastness of the Meseta!!! ;)

Ultreia!

What can I say? Less than 24 hours after posting and there it is!!

Many thanks, many thanks!

I've now located that ruin on Earth (Camino overlaid) - looks just like a stand of trees from above of course - but I now have it precisely located.

Thanks Again!!!

Buen Camino!

image.jpg April 2011. One of my favourite photos - thanks for reminding me!

Last edited:
I wonder how many forum members checked their photo archives on reading this post. I also have a photo of this landscape, taken at the end of April this year. There must be something very special about the view at this point that drew us all to capture it for prosperity.
image.jpg

Last edited:
i think I will have to hunt through my photo backups and see if I have a photo of the same location - looks very familar

Here is my version of the same location
IMG_1428.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Even more interesting is just a bit later I shot another photo which appears in the first page of my interactive book called "The Camino"
DSC_0226.JPG

Kinky One an Jirit nailed it! The path alignment, foliage, hedgerows (overgrown stone walls), and horizontal steam bed confirm the overlay. The confusing thing is the time of year perspective. The original photo appears to have been shot in late August or early September, based on harvested crops. Kinky One and Jirit's photos were taken earlier in the growing season. I too, have a photo taken in May of a similar view. I would go with Kinky One's description.

Buen Camino y'all

Tom (from Virginia)

According to the metadata on my photos, the first shot was taken on Sunday, May 29 2011 at 10.52 am.

The second shot was taken minutes later as three pilgrims passed by me.

Now it would be interesting to determine the names of the three people that appear in the second shot - it is a small world - you never know

€149,-
@jirit

That's so cute :D I was there 4 days before you. The shot was taken on 25th May (2011) at 14:57:26 (that's PM). The day you took your shot I was already in Burgos. I'm sure we ran into each other sometime somewhere later on :)

B.

@jirit

That's so cute :D I was there 4 days before you. The shot was taken on 25th May (2011) at 14:57:26 (that's PM). The day you took your shot I was already in Burgos. I'm sure we ran into each other sometime somewhere later on :)

B.
It is very possible that we did cross paths. In fact we reached Burgos June 1 and later I reached Leon on June 7. Where in any of these towns during this period?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@jirit
I see now that you were faster. I was in Castrojeriz on June 1st and, yes, in Leon on June 7th :) First night I was sleeping in private pension, the second one (June 8th to 9th) in albergue in Benedictine monastery. I went on to San Martin del Camino on June 9th and I guess by that day you were far ahead. I completed in SdC on June 22nd and in Fisterra on June 28th. Easy walking :p

I've now located that ruin on Earth (Camino overlaid) - looks just like a stand of trees from above of course - but I now have it precisely located.

David, do you know what those ruins are/were? Religious object, shelter for livestock or...?

B.

Oh, how wonderful! I have exactly the same motive in my album but with a flower in focus. Also the fields are not green anymore but yellow (mid July). It is a great shot and I tried to publish it but it was to large to load :-( Anyone knows how to reduce size in iPhoto?

This has become a great thread - so many people remember this stretch and reached for their cameras - so many varied photos at different times of the year - so many pilgrims stood 'just there, on that spot' - marvellous!

KinkyOne - no, no idea at all. It seems that it was quite tall, so not a farmhouse, possibly (hopefully) a religious ruin. I am looking for a (cheap) ruin in the right place on the Frances - will go and look at it when I next go over. I have a few other ruins to visit - Rioja/Navarre would be my ideal, out in the country, away from the towns and villages.

Ah, how great it was to look through the old Camino photos again. Now I can't wait until this Sunday when I start walk up that hill south of SJPP :). Hopefully I will get as far as this during my 10 day Camino. It would be lovely to see the same place this time of year. If I do I will definitely take a photo and post it here :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@jirit
I see now that you were faster. I was in Castrojeriz on June 1st and, yes, in Leon on June 7th :) First night I was sleeping in private pension, the second one (June 8th to 9th) in albergue in Benedictine monastery. I went on to San Martin del Camino on June 9th and I guess by that day you were far ahead. I completed in SdC on June 22nd and in Fisterra on June 28th. Easy walking :p

Yeah we blazed across the meseta - covering nearly 140 km in four days. (I was also hoping to catch up with a Sil from South Africa but she kept jumping into a bus and moving ahead of me, so I never get to see her). Spent one night June 7 in a hotel in Leon before leaving next morning to walk on to Astorga arriving there June 9

We reached Santiago by Sunday June 19 and Finisterre by June 23 (via Muxia) and returned to Santiago that Friday.

Had to be back in Paris June 27 for a flight home

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh, how wonderful! I have exactly the same motive in my album but with a flower in focus. Also the fields are not green anymore but yellow (mid July). It is a great shot and I tried to publish it but it was to large to load :-( Anyone knows how to reduce size in iPhoto?
The easiest way is the open the photo in Preview and use the edit tool to reduce the size of the image (you can also edit, crop and clean up any images at the same time)
Best to use the duplicate function before editing the image in case you want to reverse what you have done

I am looking for a (cheap) ruin in the right place on the Frances - will go and look at it when I next go over. I have a few other ruins to visit - Rioja/Navarre would be my ideal, out in the country, away from the towns and villages.

I can remember two ruins in Navarra quite well. And have photos of them.

The first one is castle of Guendulain before Zariquegui (after Pamplona). Looks vast and probably not cheap.
The second one is former pilgrim hospital of Cugullo on one of the most beautiful (IMO) stretches of CF from Villamayor de Monjardin to Los Arcos. Have been thinking of that one a lot!!!

Both are on the right side of the Camino. Photos attached:

Attachments

• 0212-ruins of Guendulain (Pamplona-Uterga, 24.05.2009).jpg
    0212-ruins of Guendulain (Pamplona-Uterga, 24.05.2009).jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 0374-ruins of pilgrim hospital Cugullo (Villamayor de Monjardin-Viana, 27.05.2009).jpg
    0374-ruins of pilgrim hospital Cugullo (Villamayor de Monjardin-Viana, 27.05.2009).jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 26
Hi Kimmy, Drag the image out of iPhoto this makes a copy (Original stays in iPhoto)then open the copy and select Tools from top tool bar select change size of image. Hope this helps.
Buen Camino for Sunday, lucky you!!!

€149,-
I can remember two ruins in Navarra quite well. And have photos of them.

The first one is castle of Guendulain before Zariquegui (after Pamplona). Looks vast and probably not cheap.
The second one is former pilgrim hospital of Cugullo on one of the most beautiful (IMO) stretches of CF from Villamayor de Monjardin to Los Arcos. Have been thinking of that one a lot!!!

Both are on the right side of the Camino. Photos attached:

Coo! Thank you for those photos! I rather like the Cugullo one - many thanks! where was I? I thought that my memories of my first camino were full but they obviously have huge holes in them!

I really like, am in awe of, the Meseta, though it is madly hot in summer, but I too just love that section from Villamajor to Arcos, and just before and just beyond - the church in Los Arcos is my favourite favourite church - and service - and priest - on the whole Camino, though for sweet silence, Eunate.

Last edited:
Thanks Pilgrim B! Now I think I finally got it. Here is the picture of the same view, but different focus :)Caminon.jpg

Attachments

• Caminon.jpg
    Caminon.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 14
I can feel your anticipation. But wait to see the vastness of the Meseta!!! ;)

Ultreia!
I have to get past the first step yet, not looking ahead but each day/hour as they come and all the lovely people on my way.

Try to e-mail the photo to yourself. iOS (if you are using an iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad) will show a pop-up before sending the message asking you what resolution you want the attached photo to be. The smaller the resolution the smaller the file size. This increases the chance of your being able to import the image to a word processing document, blog page, or similar. I do not know if this choice is offered on a Mac using iPhoto, but I do know it works when you try to e-mail the photo to someone from the Photo album on the iPhone / iPod / iPad.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino y'all

Tom (from Virginia)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Interesting how one view can look so different. Very early in the morning, Sept. 2012.

416779_3987485925399_200896631_n.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Peter - I don't understand your co-ordinates - should be 6 figures in pairs plus the two decimals if used ..
Using Earth I make where you are standing roughly - 42 - 24' - 56.70 N and 2 - 54' - 08.90 W

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Peter - I don't understand your co-ordinates - should be 6 figures in pairs plus the two decimals if used ..
Using Earth I make where you are standing roughly - 42 - 24' - 56.70 N and 2 - 54' - 08.90 W

He is using decimal degrees only which is common but can be confusing. Consider degree minute second coordinate system is base 60, not decimal at all.

Ah ha thanks whariwharangi for clarifying, I just showed a screenshot of the location Aperture, the photo program, gave me. I have no idea about decimal or minute system. In Aperture it is automatically tight to the map, easy as I like it ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.