• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Do you still feel like walking?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your age place you in the high risk catogary and that said you are a risk for others.

People of that age are in no more or less of a danger than anyone else of catching the virus. He would be in greater danger of dying because of his age but NOT of catching the virus from someone else or of transmitting it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All adventures have risks as does life itself. Do the risk assessment based on all the information available and then decide.
At the present time I would stay at home but I now plan to go in September if the situation does not deteriorate.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Prevention, here in the Netherlands, people above a certain age had to stay at home.
Yes, you are (apparently) more likely to die from it if you are above a certain age, also if you are very overweight or have another illness (diabetes, heart problems...). But that doesn’t make you more a danger to other people ...

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I don't do facemasks...period. Yes, I realize that it is not all about 'me' and that wearing a facemask supposedly protects others. The back and forth debate on facemasks by the medical community since the start of the covid debacle as to their effectiveness leaves me wondering what to believe. I do wear face masks periodically when doing dusty shop work or dry wall sanding and it is such a relief to take it off when the work is completed. I simply can't imagine wearing one on a 8 to 12 hour international flight and every time indoors as it looks like what the new reality is. The prospect of this simply and completely kills any desire to travel or walk a Camino.

So I fully realize that it is simply not possible to travel for the foreseeable future without a facemask, so I am out then.

While a vaccine would be nice, the fact they have never been able to develop one for SARS or MERS leads me believe it will be some time, if ever that an effective vaccine is developed and without side effects is available
I am not at all anti-vax...but I will not be at the head of the line to get what they say is effective. So by not being an early adopter this will further delay the possibility of another Camino. I am positive that at some point it will be mandatory to be vaccinated for any travel.

So currently, I have no plans to travel at all. I am doing local hikes and a lot of cycling and I am finding that I am quite happy with that.

While a vaccine would be nice, the fact they have never been able to develop one for SARS or MERS leads me believe it will be some time,
There are economic reasons why vaccines aren't developed for many illnesses. It costs a lot of money for research and development, and if the market isn't big enough for the final vaccine it doesn't make economic sense. Now we have a pandemic affecting billions of people - a pretty big market.

For now I am relaxing in my cottage in Arctic Norway, far away from it all. No contamination here; 1 1/2 month without any new cases here. All is peaceful. We just watch the world in safety. In due time, with a vaccine, I will return and enjoy another Camino, whatever it will be like. It will be good,, I am sure. As always. But relax and be patient: This is not over yet. It has just started.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
While a vaccine would be nice, the fact they have never been able to develop one for SARS or MERS leads me believe it will be some time, if ever that an effective vaccine is developed and without side effects is available
If time is your biggest concern, a Canadian research team at the University of Saskatchewan has been working full-time to understand the SARS virus and to prepare for the next appearance of a similar virus since the SARS outbreak of 2003. They moved on to SARS-CoV-2 as soon as its appearance and nature were known. Currently, they are finished the animal stage of research with their new vaccine and are building production facilities for it, as they move on to human trials. And of course, they are only one of many. I am hopeful.

For information about vaccine research, see this recent webcast from Mcgill University, Montreal, on youtube:

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
With all respect but I think that a 75 year old person in a good condition ( no obesity, no smoking or excessive alcohol intake and with an active lifestyle ) is in a less high risk category than a 45 year with too much weight,smoking and drinking excessively and out of breath after three k. of walking.

In that aspect everyone is a risk for others seeing a high percentage of people are asymptomatic carriers of the virus.

So @Buz Radican : go for it! I'm pretty sure you will have a mask and disinfecting gel in your pack!
Absolutely. And my mask is a new Camino mask from the Camino store that I received yesterday!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The following post was originally written 21/03 at the beginning of confinement here in France; months have passed since then but my sincerity remains ever true.

My husband Bill and I at 80 and 81 after a year of extreme serious illnesses battened down. After closing our Marne-side b&b/pilgrim house, stocking medicine and food for the next months we continue to go forward together with courage and strength of will towards the inevitable.

All life is chance; things are or are not. I try not to worry about what I can't control but hope for the best while attempting to make things better.
Memories of successful past camino efforts help me keep going.

Ever since I found this Forum in 2009 each morning I have read/replied to the posted entries of the past day as the Forum became a part of my normal routine. One pleasure across the past decade has been the discovery of digital friends in unmet fellow walkers/readers with whom so much could be shared. Such are you for me.

Stay safe and well dear companions,
We who can not continue to walk as in the past can still continue on the pathways of our memory,

May we all have the mental and physical strength to persevere.

In the truest sense, Ultreia,

Margaret Meredith

Annie, I just listened to the Camino podcast and your interview with Dave Whitson. Despite your challenges before, during and after your brief camino, you calmness and soothing demeanor are inspiring to me. God bless you and best wishes to both of us for our next camino, whenever that is ! Bob

Well,

i thought I was doing so well... Restrained and all that! Walking the Camino? Moi? Pah! Not this year mate, I sooooo know better....

Err....

Last Saturday I couldn’t help myself, I booked a flight to Biarritz, to re-do the Camino francés.

Booked the first nights, Bayonne and Orisson.... And then, after Larrasoaña, the trouble started.... I just couldn’t find accommodation and I wasn’t prepared to camp under a Church porch either . Even with a tent, it ain’t easy, unless you do wild camping. I could do it one night I suppose but not several 🙁 And where?

Sooooooo..... I looked at the Camino del Norte!

Err.... No better. Probably worse. Most places that are open are booked up, holiday makers, surfers...

To cut a long story short, it really isn’t easy and my hat off to those who manage it. I envy them, I guess I wasn’t cut out for it . 😢 Haha, not a proper pilgrim, I was found out 😁😉😉
Ps: don’t be put off, this is only my experience of it, I just couldn’t hack it 🙁

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hear what people say about not going to Spain and letting people have time to recover. We could say the same about any COVID affected country.

But, living in England with ‘broadly’ similar grim stats to match those of Spain I look around me and see the new norm with shops and hotels very keen to open and do business. (And holidays being booked)

So, I’m not sitting somewhere safe and tut tutting, I’m just getting on with the new norm as otherwise I’d never leave my house

I don’t see a lot different with the status of things in Spain just now.

Surely their thinking is not a lot different from ours about visitors ( either Spanish or otherwise)? They will want economic recovery too.

Certainly, if things stay as they are, orimprove, and Europe allows travel, I’ll be heading to Spain in September.

just my thoughts people, don’t shoot me for them 😁 because your views may differ.
I'm going this September too, (22nd Orisson). I like your positive attitude.
Also, something else unexpected might happen to stop us going next year.

Well,

i thought I was doing so well... Restrained and all that! Walking the Camino? Moi? Pah! Not this year mate, I sooooo know better....

Err....

Last Saturday I couldn’t help myself, I booked a flight to Biarritz, to re-do the Camino francés.

Booked the first nights, Bayonne and Orisson.... And then, after Larrasoaña, the trouble started.... I just couldn’t find accommodation and I wasn’t prepared to camp under a Church porch either . Even with a tent, it ain’t easy, unless you do wild camping. I could do it one night I suppose but not several 🙁 And where?

Sooooooo..... I looked at the Camino del Norte!

Err.... No better. Probably worse. Most places that are open are booked up, holiday makers, surfers...

To cut a long story short, it really isn’t easy and my hat off to those who manage it. I envy them, I guess I wasn’t cut out for it . 😢 Haha, not a proper pilgrim, I was found out 😁😉😉
Ps: don’t be put off, this is only my experience of it, I just couldn’t hack it 🙁

Have you tried using the Wisely Camino Frances app, it has all accomodation along the Frances listed and a little green marker next to the ones that are open. I looked last night and there were options in most of the towns you pass through.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Have you tried using the Wisely Camino Frances app, it has all accomodation along the Frances listed and a little green marker next to the ones that are open. I looked last night and there were options in most of the towns you pass through.
Yes, thank you 🙂 i actually managed to find more places, staying in towns instead of my usual small villages ...

In the end and at the last minute, I made a decision (difficult!) and... I didn’t board that plane 😢
I still don’t know if I made the right choice, all I know is that I feel very sad tonight.
Argh, here’s to hoping there is another time 😉 Ultreia! 🙂

On the plus side, my husband is very happy, first Summer since 2012 when he isn’t abandoned for weeks on end 😁 And he got to play golf instead of driving me to the airport 😁

Naturally we all have different circumstances, as a Brit who migrated to Canada many years ago any return to Europe will be with the piece of mind that I will not pass any virus on to my parents after stepping off a plane in London prior to a Camino.
I must admit that if I still lived in London the temptation to take the short trip to the Iberian peninsula would be very strong.

It’s the wee small hours of the morning and I just heard a plane alight from LAX to...

It’s a sound I only hear in the silence of night. Otherwise, I reside a bit too far.

And, night has fallen in USA.

Never in my wildest imaginings would I have thought a United States passport would be rendered “void until further notice”.

Will I walk again; in all probability yes.

But, I wonder just how long the darkness of night will last before the light of dawn shines again; rendering my passport an object of transport once again.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It’s the wee small hours of the morning and I just heard a plane alight from LAX to...

It’s a sound I only hear in the silence of night. Otherwise, I reside a bit too far.

And, night has fallen in USA.

Never in my wildest imaginings would I have thought a United States passport would be rendered “void until further notice”.

Will I walk again; in all probability yes.

But, I wonder just how long the darkness of night will last before the light of dawn shines again; rendering my passport an object of transport once again.
You're not alone. Many countries are in the same boat.
I'm sure you'll be on the trail again soon.

Well,

Err....

Domigee - What dates did you book Bayonne and Orisson?

I’m confused. Are you finding no where open? I have been looking on gronze and they do show a few Albergue closed still, but there seems to be enough open that it shouldn’t be a problem finding a bed. Or am I missing the latest information?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So it appears that I will be walking again very soon. There has only been a minor adjustment to my flight. Restrictions have been lifted so I will begin walking on Sept 1st.

I will begin walking on Sept 1st.

Does it mean that the Spanish borders will still be open in September? Looking at the rising trajectory of new infections, I would be thinking Spain is presently trying hard to keep the influx of foreign tourists throughout August, which is the most profitable month, but September? Well, who knows, you may be lucky to still get in. Fingers crossed. 🐢

Does it mean that the Spanish borders will still be open in September? Looking at the rising trajectory of new infections, I would be thinking Spain is presently trying hard to keep the influx of foreign tourists throughout August, which is the most profitable month, but September? Well, who knows, you may be lucky to still get in. Fingers crossed. 🐢
I won't be walking in Spain. My route is in Switzerland and Italy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m confused. Are you finding no where open? I have been looking on gronze and they do show a few Albergue closed still, but there seems to be enough open that it shouldn’t be a problem finding a bed. Or am I missing the latest information?
You might try onlypilgrims.com. I have used Jesús on my three previous Camino’s. His website will show you what is open and not in most villages along the CF.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back