• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does anyone know of any shorter pilgrimage routes around the world?

Schmutdo

Time of past OR future Camino
I'll be walking the Camino on July 11th of 2019!
Hey all,

I walked the Camino Frances some years back, but I wanted to go on another Pilgrimage soon as I've been looking to get closer with God.

Does anyone have any good 1 to 2 week walking Pilgrimages?

I was looking into the one from Rouen to Mont Saint-Michel in France. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is there a Catholic shrine at about 1 to 2 weeks walking distance from your home ?
Yeah, but I'd rather go see something.

Plus, I'm in America and it's harder to go on these kinds of things since I would be walking on highways which would be dangerous.

We have amazing hikes, but walking pilgrimages would be tough

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There have been a few write ups of the pilgrimage to Mont St Michel as there are multiple routes.
From The north at Cherbourg you get coastal walks and a reasonable amount of accomodation (I did this route) but you need a guide/group to cross the sands from near Genets to MStM. The southern route from Clisson via Nantes and Rennes is very well marked and mostly involves river/canal walks with a few switches from one river valley over a hill to a different valley - it has the most available pilgrim accomodation. (I also walked this heading south) but you end by walking the causeway into Mont St Michel.
I know Vacajoe did the route from Caen, and then from Rouen:

But if you haven't already you can do a search on the forum for a handful of threads about Mont St Michel. But definitely worth booking the pilgrim accommodation on MStM

As for other short routes - there are several in UK and Ireland like to Lindisfarne or the St Patrick's Way, or one of the options to Canterbury such as from London. Or how about in Portugal to Fatima.

Hey all,

I walked the Camino Frances some years back, but I wanted to go on another Pilgrimage soon as I've been looking to get closer with God.

I was looking into the one from Rouen to Mont Saint-Michel in France. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Perhaps too long, but an alternative.

Depending on your definition of "pilgrimage," :) the Fife Coastal Path from Edinburgh to St. Andrews is a nice hike. It doesn't have quite the infrastructure of the Camino as far as hostels/albergues town to town, but it's a beautiful coastal hike. I hiked it last May and really enjoyed it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In South Africa there is the Pilgrimage of Hope and the Cape Camino. Both are seen as pilgrimages but pilgrims walk in a group and its more structured than the Camino Frances. There are churches along the way though most will probably be Protestant, I am uncertain about Catholic. The pilgrims will mostly be Christian.
The Camino Primitivo may be quieter and grant you more time for reflection.
In Turkey there is the route of the apostle Paul.
All the best for your next Camino!

The American Pilgrims on the Camino website has a comprehensive list of pilgrim routes from all over Europe. You may need to be a member of the association to access it, but it's only $50.00 and funds Camino infrastructures. Lots of good info there. Hope this helps.

For something a bit different perhaps the Kumano Kodo in Japan? A week would probably allow you to walk the most popular route - Nakahechi - plus the extension south to the shrine at Nachi. Beautiful forest and hill walking interspersed with Shinto shrines and the odd Buddhist temple. Or the more difficult Kohechi route which starts at Koyasan - the spiritual centre of Shingon Buddhism. That could also be extended by adding the Choishimichi path from the plains up to Koyasan and the same extension from Hongu to Nachi.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey all,

There are many here in the United States. Two recognized by officials in Santiago are the Mission Trail in San Antonio, Texas during which you pass several open historic missions and the walk to St. Augustine Cathedral in Florida, stopping along the way at the Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche where you can receive a stamp. Both qualify for 25kms toward walking to Santiago, meaning that if you walk one of these, you can walk from O Coruna on the Camino Ingles to Santiago and reach the 100km goal.

Other walks include "The Wisconsin Way," which goes from one shrine to another. https://wisconsinway.com/beginners-guide-to-the-wisconsin-way/

And there are so many more out west. I will be heading to New Mexico next week and will walk the pilgrim's path to Chimayo.

But my favorite pilgrimage in the U.S. is The Cataldo Pilgrimage in northern Idaho. It is so rich in history in such a beautiful area. And the story of the origin of this pilgrimage the amazing coincidences of the beliefs of the local tribe and the message brought by the Jesuits is one that you will find almost too stunning to comprehend. https://cataldopilgrimage.org/

Of the pilgrimages I have walked in Spain and France, two started in one shrine and ended in another. The first walking from Lourdes to Santiago, the other was walking from Loyola to Montserrat, the Camino Ignaziano.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey all,

I am a pilgrimage junkie and would suggest some alternatives; The attached link summarizes 17 different Caminos in Spain and Portugal besides Frances and 37 other pilgrimages around the world. Recommended;
-Camino Invierno 12 days
-Camino Ingles/Irish continuing on to Muxia 9 days
-Way of St. Francis 12-28 days
-Kumano Kodo in Japan 5 different 4-12 day routes
-Combining Kerry Camino and Dingle Way in Ireland and adding a walk up the Holy Mountain of St. Brendan (Mt. Brandon)
- walk Portuguese Way to Fatima
- Lourdes to Puente La Reina on Camino Aragones
-Combine Choqoquirao and Machu Picchu for a 10 day pilgrimage.

This link summarizes 54 global alternative pilgrimages to Camino Frances.

Hey all,

Yes, if you link to the Ignatius Centre in Guelph, they have a pilgrimage walk from Guelph to the Shrine of St. Marie Among the Huron — 5-7 days I think.
Here is their main site: https://ignatiusguelph.ca/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Consider walking in the footsteps of St. Francis on the Cammino di Francesco from Assisi to Rome. About 246k in 13 stages. We’ve walked it twice and loved it. Pretty much everything you need to know about it can be found in Sandy Brown’s excellent guidebook, The Way of St. Francis, available at Amazon or Cicerone Press in hard copy or eBook (he covers the full walk from Florence to Rome but you can just start in Assisi for a two week pilgrimage).​

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

2 of many pilgrimage routes in Ireland. When completed you can get a Celtic Compostela. Thereafter, immediately or at another time walk the 75km from A Coruña to Santiago de Compostela and recieve a Compostela from the pilgrim office there. Must present the Celtic Compostela in Santiago to qualify.

Buen camino!

There are several well-established pilgrim routes in Québec-- links are to be found in this thread (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/canadas-chemin-des-sanctuaires.4739/#post-1196096). Some of them are reservation-only as accommodation is in billets, but others are unplanned (des Navigateurs). The reservation-only tend to be very RC in orientation but plenty of non-RCs walk them. A reasonable command of French (fear not! no exams on the use of the subjunctive) would be ver;y helpful. Other routes go through areas accustomed to tourists (e.g. des Navigateurs) and English is never far away, but as in Spain your experience will be augmented if you can communicate.

US pilgrims do not need passports to enter Canada, but (this is important) they will need them to return to the US.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There's a 700 km one that circumnavigates Prince Edward Island, Canada ... but you could select as much of it as you want to walk.

Regrets, I do not have a link, but last summer I met two pilgrims from Australia who informed me there is a new pilgrimage route in Australia that honors one of the first Australian saints canonized by Rome... and it is reportedly about 160 KM, if my memory is accurate.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lourdes in Southern France and Fatima in Portugal are definitely options. These are also sign posted therefore have the infrastructure for Pilgrims. Good luck whatever you choose.

One on my "to walk" list is the Cammino di San Benedetto - from Norcia through Subiaco to Montecassino. (Although being a close friend of the benedictines in Norcia I would personally walk it "backwards" so to speak). Definitely worth checking out.
Also the Way of St. Francis is a great option, I did walk bits of it last year. And you can always pick a spot 2 weeks from Rome and walk there! For inspiration on paths in Italy see this publishing house: https://www.terre.it/en/categoria-prodotto/lists/percorsi-en/

If you like real mountains, there is also the Via Alpina Sacra... And many many places of pilgrimage throughout Europe. Pick one that would be close to your heart and walk there. Plenty of waymarked hiking paths all over the place, you can always make your own.

I recommend St Cuthbert's Way

I agree.

When done, you can travel on to Durham Cathedral and visit the Shrine of S Cuthbert behind the High Altar.

Durham Cathedral is is unique in England in that the main structure is almost entirely in the Norman architectural style - rounded (not pointed) arches and massive circular columns supporting the roof.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
good 1 to 2 week walking Pilgrimages

S Cuthbert's Way - Melrose to Lindisfarne and then to Durham (map)

Southwark Cathedral to the martyrdom (1170) of S Thomas of Canterbury at Canterbury Cathedral (map)

Whithorn Way - from S Mungo's Cathedral, Glasgow to the site of the first church at Whithorn in southwest Scotland (map) (shorter version from Barrhill Station)

St Winefride Pilgrim Trail - Shrewsbury, Shropshire to Holywell, Flintshire - about 1 week - since 12 century

And many more at https://britishpilgrimage.org/

Regrets, I do not have a link, but last summer I met two pilgrims from Australia who informed me there is a new pilgrimage route in Australia that honors one of the first Australian saints canonized by Rome... and it is reportedly about 160 KM, if my memory is accurate.
Here you go.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey all,

La Verna to Assisi (9 days; challenging)

Hey all,

Well, there is the Ingles (1 week), the Primitivo (2 weeks), the Portugues from Porto (2 weeks).

Those are routes to Santiago.

I think there are a number of walking routes in England that might be that length.

There is the Kumano Kodo in Japan, if you are really looking around the world.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How about St Magnus Way in the Orkney Islands? (far north Scotland !)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This is not Catholic but it is a spiritual pilgrimage and could be what you're looking for. Buen Camino!
Hey, sorry it's taking me this long to respond. It's been a busy week.

I have always wanted to walk the Komo. That could be a good option!

Do you know about the shorter Caminos? The Ingles, the Primitivo, the Portugues from Tui?

I thought about that, but I was a little worried about how crowded it would be. I remember the last week was extremely crowded when I walked the Frances. That could be a different animal though compared to the Primitivo and Portuges though.

The American Pilgrims on the Camino website has a comprehensive list of pilgrim routes from all over Europe. You may need to be a member of the association to access it, but it's only $50.00 and funds Camino infrastructures. Lots of good info there. Hope this helps.
Is that something that you've found helpful?

Do they have resources on Pilgrimages that aren't Camino paths?

Either way it looks cool, so I'll probably sign up for it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Information on the Celtic Camino.
I've always wanted to go to Ireland, so that could be a great option! I appreciate this. Have you every walked it?

I've always wanted to go to Ireland, so that could be a great option! I appreciate this. Have you every walked it?
Yes, I have done numerous pilgrim ways in Ireland, qualifying me for a Celtic Compostela, (any recognised route of at least 25km). I then walked from A Coruña, camino Inglés, 75km to Santiago de Compostela and got a compostela there. I also walked the camino Inglés from Ferrol, (110km approx) both very doable routes and a good choice for a first camino or for those who have time constraints.

Yes, I have done numerous pilgrim ways in Ireland, qualifying me for a Celtic Compostela, (any recognised route of at least 25km). I then walked from A Coruña, camino Inglés, 75km to Santiago de Compostela and got a compostela there. I also walked the camino Inglés from Ferrol, (110km approx) both very doable routes and a good choice for a first camino or for those who have time constraints.
Nice! Generally speaking, how the accommodations? Are there similar options as the Camino or do you have to find hotels?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nice! Generally speaking, how the accommodations? Are there similar options as the Camino or do you have to find hotels?
It depends on which path you choose, there is probably more planning involved. Hostels are fewer but there are guest house style accommodation or hotels.

I thought about that, but I was a little worried about how crowded it would be. I remember the last week was extremely crowded when I walked the Frances. That could be a different animal though compared to the Primitivo and Portuges though.

Well...I know nothing about when you walked last, what season you walked last, and under what conditions you feel that you can get closer to God. So let me share what I do know.

The Primitivo is a harder walk if you're not in shape, with some longer distances in the early stages between accommodations. If you're walking during " high" season, there will be people at the cafés and albergues, but you're pretty likely to walk alone most of each day unless you want to walk with someone, and they with you.

Even when you get to Melide, if you walk later in the day and stay off traditional stages, you will not be in a " conga line." Again, depending on season, the " crowds" will be at the albergues and cafés. And I can promise you that it's not the same Frances that you walked...it wasn't for me, and my walks were only 2 years apart. The Camino is not the same, and neither are you.

Before you grab at a pilgrimage, spend a little time with yourself. If it's important that you end up at a religious or spiritual place, don't do hiking routes or pieces of Camino that don't end at Santiago.
Do you value talking/ walking with fellow pilgrims? Don't pick an isolated route or a tourist route.

Buen Camino, if you choose Camino.

This is not Catholic but it is a spiritual pilgrimage and could be what you're looking for. Buen Camino!
As my wife and I just completed the Kumano Kodo a few months back and very much enjoyed our pilgrimage, I also recommend it.
Few differences:
I found it more of a nature hike, than a Spanish town to town hike.
While shorter in distance, it was harder up and down trails.
Similarly to the Camino you can walk different sections, get stamps, and really experience the country you are walking in.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a small pilgrimage from the monastery in Loccum (Lower Saxony, Germany, one of the best preserved medieval monasteries north of the Alps) to Volkenroda (Monastery, Thuringia). From Volkenroda you can merge to the Via Regia in Eisenach and walk via Fulda, Frankfurt and Trier to Le Puy.

(sorry, German only)

You may walk 6-10 days, depending on your pace.

Hey all,

Last year my wife and completed the Kimono Kodo on Honshu island in Japan. Throughly enjoyed it. We did go with a Japanese friend which made it easier,

Schmutdo - I lived in Japan a couple of times, so wanted to offer this thought about Japanese Shrines and Temples ... I've always felt an incredible peace visiting these, even famous/large ones that get bustling with tourists. Perhaps it's because of the natural surroundings. This might be a great alternative for getting closer to God, even if it's (obviously) not a Catholic route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey all,

I don’t know much about it, but there’s a 9 day walking pilgrimage in Poland. If it’s the same one, I recall seeing a brief YT vid on it, it’s done in August only and had quite a large turn out. That’s about all I know of it.

I’ve also heard of very small groups allowed onto Mount Athos to visit, which would be amazing. I believe though that it might be restricted to the Orthodox and only men are allowed.

Is there a Catholic shrine at about 1 to 2 weeks walking distance from your home ?

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back