• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dolmen de la Pastora

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Rachael,

I haven't been there, and didn't know about it, but did some searching. Looks like a 4 km detour from Camas. If you are going to make your first day from Sevilla short, you could walk to Camas (5 km) then the 8 out and back to the Dolmen, and 5 more on to Santiponce. Only places to stay in Santiponce are private, but that would also give you time to visit Italica, which is probably in your plan, no?

I have taken many detours for dolmens. Last year on the St. Jaume, I pulled and pushed my way through overgrown brush to find one, and decided that I wouldn't make any more of these detours without knowing what was waiting there for me. It looked just like the big slabs of rocks I had been carefully navigating, the only difference being it was in a vertical position. I know that makes me sound like an ignoramus, but I was not impressed, especially not after the awful trail to get there. The Dolmen de la Pastora looks like it's a whole lot more interesting than what I saw! And I see there is a museum as well. Hours 9-2, so that would work with a walking detour.

If you are looking for prehistoric sites to visit, this looks like a good one. How about a bus out and back from Sevilla on one of your days there? They seem pretty regular. http://www.consorciotransportes-sevilla.com/lineasmetropolitanas/pdf/horarios/linea175.pdf

Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are some beautifully solitary dolmens on the LePuy route. No signs, no fences, no people.

We have 3 1/2 days in Seville before starting to walk and so nowhere near enough time to do justice to the city itself! We more-or-less intend to make it to Guillena the first day with a mandatory stop at Italica - but you have made me think of a plan, Laurie. We could bus to the Dolmen, then walk to Italica by road and then probably pick up the official camino from there. It would only be 18km to Guillena which should allow time for seeing both sites. If we booked beds at Albergue Luz del Camino, then we wouldn't have to worry about not getting a bed and could take our time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We have 3 1/2 days in Seville before starting to walk and so nowhere near enough time to do justice to the city itself! We more-or-less intend to make it to Guillena the first day with a mandatory stop at Italica - but you have made me think of a plan, Laurie. We could bus to the Dolmen, then walk to Italica by road and then probably pick up the official camino from there. It would only be 18km to Guillena which should allow time for seeing both sites. If we booked beds at Albergue Luz del Camino, then we wouldn't have to worry about not getting a bed and could take our time.

Bus to the Dolmen, visit the Dolmen (which isn't right in town so there is walking involved, but it does open at 9, so that helps), visit the museum in Valencina, walk to Santiponce (6 km), visit the ruins at Italica (which are HUGE) and then go on to Guillena (12 km). That's ambitious, but you guys are pretty resilient. And if you are dragging after the visit to the Italica ruins you could in an emergency stay in Santiponce.

I've changed my mind. It's too ambitious. Italica needs a whole day. So if we "finish" Seville in two and a half days, we'll spend the third day taking the bus out to the Dolmens (and visit both of them), and we can always walk back to Seville - or bus! If we don't make it, we'll just have to come back;-) (actually I can sense a touristy trip through Spain seeing all the things we have missed)

(actually I can sense a touristy trip through Spain seeing all the things we have missed)

That is why we are taking the car this year!! Too much to see when walking, so it will be good to take our time to see some of the things we missed on the northern Caminos. :)

Blessings on your planning
Tio Tel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...
(Live on the Camino, but I don't know how to post with that tag) The Camino Sanabres winds through small stone villages and along vast green pastures rimmed in stone walls. Sometimes you walk on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back