• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Don’t forget your driver’s license!

peregrina2000

Staff member
I just heard from a friend that she got to Santiago and wanted to rent a car to go out to Muxia and Finisterre. But she couldn’t do it because she didn’t have her driver’s license with her. Luckily, someone else in her group had brought one and was able to rent the car. No need to bring that big bulky AAA “international drivers license”, just your regular license will work (at least if you are coming from the US).

I always carry mine, not so much for planned driving trips, but because you never know when something might come up that would make it a godsend.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just heard from a friend that she got to Santiago and wanted to rent a car to go out to Muxia and Finisterre. But she couldn’t do it because she didn’t have her driver’s license with her. Luckily, someone else in her group had brought one and was able to rent the car. No need to bring that big bulky AAA “international drivers license”, just your regular license will work (at least if you are coming from the US).

I always carry mine, not so much for planned driving trips, but because you never know when something might come up that would make it a godsend.
I rented a car from Hertz last year at the Santiago airport. The clerk there needed only my driver's license to rent the car, but he told me that if the Guardia Civil stops you and you don't have the International Driver's License, the fine is/can be 500 euros (I guess it depends on the mood of the GC agent).

That’s a good heads up. I understand the risk of not having the AAA copy (though I have bought cars in both Spain and Portugal, rented many cars in both countries, crossed borders when borders were checkpoints, and never had to show it over the past 40 years). Since I would only be using the license in case of emergency, it’s a risk I would take. This is kind of like the debate about taking your poles on board, and so long as the risk is understood, I think it’s up to the individual.

That’s a good heads up. I understand the risk of not having the AAA copy (though I have bought cars in both Spain and Portugal, rented many cars in both countries, crossed borders when borders were checkpoints, and never had to show it over the past 40 years). Since I would only be using the license in case of emergency, it’s a risk I would take. This is kind of like the debate about taking your poles on board, and so long as the risk is understood, I think it’s up to the individual.
I would agree. For a short (one day) rental, I probably would just risk it. We were renting for more than a week and I felt safer having the AAA copy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I actually enjoy leaving my drivers license at home. I have not rented a car once during international travel - and love not having to drive anywhere. I guess someday it might become an issue - but for the most part public transportation is so good in Europe - I don't see the need.

The US AAA auto club is one of two organizations in the US authorized by the State Department to issue an International Driver Permit. In most cases it is used as a translation of your state driver license but it can be used to drive in some countries. Spain requires a translation of American licenses and so a IDP may be the most convenient way of doing that.

The US AAA auto club is one of two organizations in the US authorized by the State Department to issue an International Driver Permit. In most cases it is used as a translation of your state driver license but it can be used to drive in some countries. Spain requires a translation of American licenses and so a IDP may be the most convenient way of doing that.

What is the other organization, Rick? I usually bring one when I am renting cars in Europe, but I would love to give my money to an entity other than what is essentially a shill for the car and roads industry.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What is the other organization, Rick?
You're out of luck Laurie; according to this ThePointsGuy article (September 2022) the other organization is out of the IDP business.

Historically, there has been a couple of organizations authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue an IDP: the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA). The AATA has announced it will no longer IDP's, though, so AAA is now going to be your best bet.

You don’t need to be a U.S. citizen to apply for an IDP, but you do need to be a permanent resident of a U.S. state or territory and have a driver’s license issued by that entity. You also must be 18 or older and have had your driver’s license for at least six months

I'm pretty sure we had IDPs on our first trip to Spain in '88 but I don't remember the police using them when Peg got a ticket. First the background and then I move on to the fun part.

We were on a new toll road heading to Barcelona and ran out of cash because the government figured it could pay back the cost of the construction through tolls on the first 10,000 cars using it. So we got off it and on a small road to nowhere; there were absolutely no villages. It became dark. Peg passed a truck and shortly two motorcycle cops pulled us over and asked for fine money. This was all in Spanish which Peg had no exposure too then so she was on edge. I explained that we only had travelers checks and were on that road looking to cash them. They asked us to follow them eventually pulling into a hotel where I got $200 of pesetas (we got to keep a bit over half).

Now here's the fun part. The police are in the dark parking lot writing out the ticket when I return to a nervous Peg. At one point the cop is writing something down and she is worried about it. "What's that?" "Peg, that's your birthday." At the end Peg insists that the cop show his ID. So I ask. He takes it out and shines his flashlight on his picture ID. Peg makes a little inhaling sound. The cop looks at me quizzically. "Crea que tu es muy guapo" I told him. Peg was so nervous and upset that she never noticed that this cop's looks would have had Eric Estrada from that CHiPs TV show hiding his face in shame.

I've had over $100 in pleasure telling this story over the years.

I probably should have used the subjective with the guapo statement but I still cant use it.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm pretty sure we had IDPs on our first trip to Spain in '88 but I don't remember the police using them when Peg got a ticket. First the background and then I move on to the fun part.

We were on a new toll road heading to Barcelona and ran out of cash because the government figured it could pay back the cost of the construction through tolls on the first 10,000 cars using it. So we got off it and on a small road to nowhere; there were absolutely no villages. It became dark. Peg passed a truck and shortly two motorcycle cops pulled us over and asked for fine money. This was all in Spanish which Peg had no exposure too then so she was on edge. I explained that we only had travelers checks and were on that road looking to cash them. They asked us to follow them eventually pulling into a hotel where I got $200 of pesetas (we got to keep a bit over half).

Now here's the fun part. The police are in the dark parking lot writing out the ticket when I return to a nervous Peg. At one point the cop is writing something down and she is worried about it. "What's that?" "Peg, that's your birthday." At the end Peg insists that the cop show his ID. So I ask. He takes it out and shines his flashlight on it. Peg makes a little inhaling sound. The cop looks at me quizzically. "Crea que tu es muy guapo" I told him. Peg was so nervous and upset that she never noticed that this cop's looks would have had Eric Estrada from that CHiPs TV show hiding his face in shame.

I've had over $100 in pleasure telling this story over the years.

I probably should have used the subjective with the guapo statement but I still cant use it.
I can give you a tip when you are stopped by the Guardia Civil.
I used to work for a couple of years in Catalunya ,spoke almost fluently Castillano and was on my way together with my director to an exhibition in Zaragoza. Our hotel was at the left side of a National road but it was not allowed to turn to the left but you had to go for an extra mile or so to the next roundabout and then turn back.Nobody did so I did mot either. .
However I did not notice the Guardia Civil was behind me.
I decided not to speak a word Castillano , knowing that most of these cops do not speak english but they showed me a page from a book where was written about the offence in several languages and the price for the ticket , 90€ .And paying directly.
My boss said to the industrious police officer in poor Castillano. ” we were looking forward for some slices of the famous and exclusive Spanish Pata negra ham ( about 20€ for a plate with 10 slices or so) but now with this fine we have to settle with the much more cheaper and not so delicious Serrano ham 😏
The officer started laughing and we got a reduction of 30€ . So at night there was a nice plate of Pata negra .
Allways do if you do not understand them.

Good reminder! We need to rent a car this year because our albergue service will be in Arres and it is a remote hilltop town on the French Way through Aragon. We cook with pilgrims there so need it to get groceries for evening pilgrim meals and breakfast!
Arres! Lucky you. It's an amazing place, tiny, remote, and the greatest atmosphere. The village restaurant is good, too. I got in early and had an excellent lunch. When will you be there?

Arres! Lucky you. It's an amazing place, tiny, remote, and the greatest atmosphere. The village restaurant is good, too. I got in early and had an excellent lunch. When will you be there?
June 1 to 15. We stayed last year on our Camino and found it to be the kind of place we love--donativo, shared supper, evening meditation. Its like a Grañón with bunkbeds instead of mattresses on the floor.

dont know for certain but I believe a UK licence will not work and international may be required. Check before you go if you plan to car hire

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
dont know for certain but I believe a UK licence will not work and international may be required. Check before you go if you plan to car hire
According to www.gov.uk...

"You do not need an IDP to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein if you have a photocard driving licence issued in the UK."

If your licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man you might need an IDP. And there are 3 types of IDP so one is not valid for all countries...

I rented a car from Hertz last year at the Santiago airport. The clerk there needed only my driver's license to rent the car, but he told me that if the Guardia Civil stops you and you don't have the International Driver's License, the fine is/can be 500 euros (I guess it depends on the mood of the GC agent).
This is true. Anyone will rent you the vehicle but legally, to drive it, you need that international DL which is very inexpensive. Even for a scooter rental.
I have been pulled over before and they asked for it.

I had renewed my US driver license the fall before my summer 2022 trip to Ireland, when I went to rent a car they wanted me to prove I had been driving more than 2 years. ( I have been driving for over 50 years!) They wanted at least a copy of car insurance coverage for 2+ years. I had to call my insurance company to email me a copy of my insurance and then I had to email it to the agent at the counter. Lucky I was able to accomplish this during business hours in both countries. But it still took over an hour to sort it all out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just for info, I hired a car from Hertz at Madrid airport with just my U.K. photo card licence three weeks ago. Absolutely no problem.

Just for info, I hired a car from Hertz at Madrid airport with just my U.K. photo card licence three weeks ago. Absolutely no problem.
Seems I was thinking about UK licence holders living in Spain. UK licence Ok for short term visitors. Never bring mine, dont like driving on other side of road 😂

I have driven in Spain on many occasions with just my uk photo license, it is all you need 👍

These very specific responses about UK driving licences are just that, very specific. Australians are advised to have an IDP in Spain. See the DFAT Smartraveller page here. In Portugal, the advice is that you only need a valid Australian drivers licence (https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/europe/portugal).

edit: I would recommend others consult their own national governments advice to travellers sites.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back