• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dublin to St. Jean - Best route?

jcl-clonmel

Time of past OR future Camino
2018, 2019, 2022
My plan is to fly into Ireland and arrive at the Dublin Airport on about noon on Wednesday, May 17th.
It looks like I will need an overnight in Dublin before catching Ryan Air to Barritz (BIQ) on Thursday, May 18th.
Then, take the bus to Bayonne, stay the night in Bayonne before catching the train to St. Jean Pied de Port on Friday, May 19th.

At least 2 problems:
It looks overly-complicated.
It has me walking out of St. Jean on either Saturday, May 20th or Sunday, May 21st (most likely).
I've heard that Saturdays & Sundays are the busiest days of the week to begin the Camino.

Any suggestions on alternative arrangements would be appreciated!
Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is your flight from Dublin on 18 May the one arriving at 15:30? Unless you have a particular reason for staying overnight in Bayonne you could probably make it to Saint Jean Pied de Port by the 18:19 train that evening (arriving about 19:30). Or perhaps a little earlier if you travel direct from the airport with Express Bourricot.

As Brandypus states its quite doable. I did this journey to SJPP, It is a short bus ride from Birritz to Bayonne and then catch the train. If memory serves me right my plane from Dublin was around the same as yours and I got to SJPP around the time Brandypus ststed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes! The Ryan Air flight that arrives at BIQ at 15:30.
No, I don't have a reason for staying overnight in Bayonne.
Where/how do I catch the 18:19 train to St. Jean?

Yes! The Ryan Air flight that arrives at BIQ at 15:30.
No, I don't have a reason for staying overnight in Bayonne.
Where/how do I catch the 18:19 train to St. Jean?
Take a bus directly from Biarritz airport to the Bayonne railway station. There will almost certainly be others doing the same. Follow the rucksacks! The airport is very small and you should pass through immigration and customs in minutes.

Alternatively you can book a transfer direct from the airport with Express Bourricot. In May they should be fairly full and so quite cheap. Their price depends on the number booked to travel. If the vehicle is full it will only be a few euros more than the bus and train fare.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My plan is to fly into Ireland and arrive at the Dublin Airport on about noon on Wednesday, May 17th.
It looks like I will need an overnight in Dublin before catching Ryan Air to Barritz (BIQ) on Thursday, May 18th.
Then, take the bus to Bayonne, stay the night in Bayonne before catching the train to St. Jean Pied de Port on Friday, May 19th.

At least 2 problems:
It has me walking out of St. Jean on either Saturday, May 20th or Sunday, May 21st (most likely).
I've heard that Saturdays & Sundays are the busiest days of the week to begin the Camino.

Thanks!
The Express Bouricott company are excellent , I used them twice . You should arrive in Biarritz 12.30 ish and be in St Jean for 14.45 , book Orrison for that night and start walking from Pilgrims Office after first stamp and you will make Orrison with an hour to spare before Communal meal .
This means , you have a brilliant first night experience after an exciting day travelling
and it makes the climb to Roncevalles or further to next village a lot handier on day 2!. Enjoy your Camino . P

Just be conscious of Ryanairs luggage policies which may differ from the airline you are flying into Dublin with. To carry on a bag now you need to pay extra. (you could chance it but the measurements for a small carry on is more like a handbag, you could be lucky or unlucky in boarding)

At least 2 problems:

Thanks!
I almost did the same in 2019 from Oz - but flew Dublin Paris Bayonne and stayed near airport at Dublin . I recall the Dublin airport required me to be there very very early to fly out - it’s a huge distance from checking in to boarding - now that was a long trip with lost luggage across continents! Nevertheless the camino and the Pyrenees are so worth any complications in my opinion buen camino! Ps If you have accommodation booked at st Jean orisson and/or roncesvalles then Saturday or Sunday shouldn’t be a problem - may be slightly a problem public transportation on weekends to st Jean

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back