• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Duffel or backpack if transporting

ncwep

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2023
Hola! Leaving on April 29 for my first Camino. We are planning to transport our backpacks each day, and stay in a combination of albergues and hotels. I'm debating whether to bring my gear in a duffel rather than a backpack since we're transporting. It's much harder to get to things in the backpack, and I know you're not supposed to lay backpacks, clothes, etc on the bed or floor because of the potential for bedbugs. It seems like it would be easier to get to things in a duffel rather than digging for them in the backpack. Is there any reason, other than the lack of flexibility to decide to NOT transport on a given day, that a duffel is not a good idea? And another question.....in albergues, do they have hooks to hang your backpack/duffel on, since they're not supposed to go on bed or floor? Thank you for any thoughts on this!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've never used daily luggage transfer, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to bring two backpacks since you can only carry (comfortably) one at a time, so the duffel makes sense to me. However, I would probably bring a backpack big enough to hold everything and a folding duffel to offload the weight that I don't want to carry every day. That way you would have the flexibility to carry or not.

in albergues, do they have hooks to hang your backpack/duffel on, since they're not supposed to go on bed or floor?

Some do, some (probably most) do not. There is not standard. My backpack is usually on the floor beside or under my bed.

Some transfer agencies may restrict to backpacks only. No, often no hooks to hang a backpack or duffel. If you are using luggage transport be aware that some albergues don't accept bags or pilgrims who are not carrying their backpacks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some transfer agencies may restrict to backpacks only.
Definitely check. I have heard of one private albergue that wouldn't accept a rolling carry-on suitcase. And many municipal and parochial albergues will not accept any transferred bags.

Jacotrans, Caminofacíl, Pilbeo and Correos all say on their websites that they will accept luggage.

Last edited:
Looks like nowadays they are very different from the duffel bag I used as a schoolboy.

We have used a collapsible holdall to protect our rucksacks and poles when flying

If we need luggage transporting while on the camino we pack stuff not needed til evening into the holdall, shared between two or three this works for two or three . Then we carry our day time requirements in our comfortable, well fitting rucksack.
Tried and tested on CF and Portuguese routes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used baggage transport on parts of Del Norte last fall. Sometimes there was no pick up where we were staying so I had to carry my bag a few blocks to a pick up location. So I would choose a backpack.

I would say backpack, and pack it relatively lightly, because you may have to carry it from your accommodation to a pick up point or vice versa. Or there is a small possibility that you can't secure luggage transport for one stage, and a duffel bag would hurt after a few miles!
You can find backpacks which have full length access zips, which make them as easy to use and find stuff as a duffel bag.
Enjoy your forthcoming Camino adventure!

I ended changing plans one week after start of Frances to use transport since it's so cheap - last summer 5 euros/day. The handlers damaged my backpack at end of 3-4th week. Had to get a duffle bag (bought one at a Decathalon) to put damaged backpack into it to make it easier to handle. No issues with transport companies using duffle. Had ample room at end of trip to buy items for flight back home. I think the problem with my backpack is that it was the ultra lightweight design where some of the straps were not as wide as traditional ones. I truly think it was more due to rough handling as my backpack was fine in morning whereas upon receipt that evening two straps were completely shredded. Camino is always an adventure :)
Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would say backpack, and pack it relatively lightly, because you may have to carry it from your accommodation to a pick up point or vice versa. Or there is a small possibility that you can't secure luggage transport for one stage, and a duffel bag would hurt after a few miles!
I recommend using a backpack that will fit everything, and include a lightweight folding bag of some sort that you can load with heavy gear that you don't need during your walk to send ahead.

I have this bag from Osprey that's very lightweight but sturdy that should work for this purpose.

Screenshot_20230413_133249_Firefox.jpg

Definitely check. I have heard of one private albergue that wouldn't accept a rolling carry-on suitcase. And many municipal and parochial albergues will not accept any transferred bags.

Jacotrans, Caminofacíl, Pilbeo and Correos all say on their websites that they will accept luggage.
Can you share with me, privately if you like, which albergue this is?

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back