• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eat, Sleep, Dream Camino!

IDBluebird77

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning: Camino Frances (Fall 2017)
I am making plans for my Camino in Fall 2017, however, I am so excited that I keep fighting the temptation to move it up about 12 months, LOL. And then reality kicks back in and I remember I have to have the days off from work, I have no equipment, I need to learn (some) spanish, and, oh yeah, I need to do some training. :)

Until then I will be spending a lot of time here, soaking in all the tips, wisdom, and advice, from my Camino brothers and sisters around the world.

I just reserved a "introduction to Spanish" cd from my community library to start learning Spanish during my daily hour long commute. One step closer! :)

Robin :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ah, another one that has been touched by the Way. Her touch is so very gentle, but she grabs the heart and never lets go. There will be times when tears come to your eyes due to the joy you feel. Her voice is never fare from our consciousness. We hear her when, out of the corner of our eye, we glance a color, we smell a distinct fragrance, or we see a path or road not yet traveled. You will find friends beloved here on the Forum and yet you may never meet them, but you treasure them all the same.

Welcome to the Forum and may the time pass quickly for you.

Anticipation is part of the thrill! I was due to go on the VdP this spring, but my elderly dog has decided to buck up and live longer - so I've had to put it off another year. He quite understands my frustration as he completed part of a pilgrimage in the uk with us!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Anticipation is part of the thrill! I was due to go on the VdP this spring, but my elderly dog has decided to buck up and live longer - so I've had to put it off another year. He quite understands my frustration as he completed part of a pilgrimage in the uk with us!

That is certainly a good reason to wait! Maybe he is hoping you will pull him along with you. :)

Ah, another one that has been touched by the Way. Her touch is so very gentle, but she grabs the heart and never lets go. There will be times when tears come to your eyes due to the joy you feel. Her voice is never fare from our consciousness. We hear her when, out of the corner of our eye, we glance a color, we smell a distinct fragrance, or we see a path or road not yet traveled. You will find friends beloved here on the Forum and yet you may never meet them, but you treasure them all the same.

Welcome to the Forum and may the time pass quickly for you.

Thank you! I don't think I have been so sure of something in a very long time. :)

Took another baby step today, albeit a pretty critical one. I just sent an email to my HR department to get the skinny on saving up leave, and how much I can take at one time. This is a big piece to the puzzle and will help start the plan in motion. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
IDBluebirdd 77, We are also from Idaho and have been planning our Camino now for 18 months. We leave from Boise May 21. I am using the free app Duolingo to learn a little Spanish. I am actually pretty surprised at how much much 20 minutes day has taught me--at first the lessons are not terribly practical. (How often does one need to say "The ducks eat bread"???) But I am feeling much more confident that I'll at least be able to ask for things politely and understand the answers.

IDBluebirdd 77, We are also from Idaho and have been planning our Camino now for 18 months. We leave from Boise May 21. I am using the free app Duolingo to learn a little Spanish. I am actually pretty surprised at how much much 20 minutes day has taught me--at first the lessons are not terribly practical. (How often does one need to say "The ducks eat bread"???) But I am feeling much more confident that I'll at least be able to ask for things politely and understand the answers.

Hello, J Willhaus! I think I spoke with your husband here on the forum. He also mentioned you were from Boise. I am about 18 months out, and it is nice to hear that is the timeframe you have taken to prepare. I will check out that app, thank you for the tip!

Also, I would love to hear about your experience when you return. Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I live 5 hours up I-84 (and then the turn onto I-182) from Boise so we're almost neighbors!! I am terrible at language learning but found a few things that helped me. 1) cram-studied on the plane over using the Lonely Planet Phrase Book (tiny one), 2) while I wash dishes every night I try to put together the little words and phrases I do know into sentences. I know the grammar and syntax is all wrong, but it gets the message across. 3) I try to read news articles here and on the camino Facebook pages in Spanish. And then read the translation to see how close I got!!

I live 5 hours up I-84 (and then the turn onto I-182) from Boise so we're almost neighbors!! I am terrible at language learning but found a few things that helped me. 1) cram-studied on the plane over using the Lonely Planet Phrase Book (tiny one), 2) while I wash dishes every night I try to put together the little words and phrases I do know into sentences. I know the grammar and syntax is all wrong, but it gets the message across. 3) I try to read news articles here and on the camino Facebook pages in Spanish. And then read the translation to see how close I got!!

Ah! Yes, even 5 hours away is still in the neighborhood in our part of the country!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A little suggestion: Focus your Spanish lessons to what you will need. I used Rosetta Stone for other reasons, I live in California and travel a lot in Latin America, but wish I would have focused specifically to food and lodging, directions, and pleasantries. Depends on your learning style, but I suggest memorizing phrases and questions that may be asked of you. I have a small Spanish primer in my preparation handbook (see signature), and even a little French.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A little suggestion: Focus your Spanish lessons to what you will need. I used Rosetta Stone for other reasons, I live in California and travel a lot in Latin America, but wish I would have focused specifically to food and lodging, directions, and pleasantries. Depends on your learning style, but I suggest memorizing phrases and questions that may be asked of you. I have a small Spanish primer in my preparation handbook (see signature), and even a little French.

Buen Camino

Great tips! Thank you.

Another Idahoan here! From the frosty Northlands. I walked SJPdP to Santiago in 2014 and Le Puy to SJPdP in 2015. Both times in the fall and both times solo. Going to walk a week of the Francigena to Rome this April with my wife.

Ditto, Duolingo is great for a free service. Pack Light. Wool. Pinch yourself every day on the Camino and say to yourself "remember this". I relive every moment in my mind and cherish the memories. Buen Camino to you!

I'm also planning from a long way out. I set off in April 2017 for my second camino.
Whilst the wait can be frustrating it is also nice to have something to look forward to.

Enjoy the wait.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use the duolingo app every morning for about 20-30 min. I have been using it for about 5 months and I am surprised how much I have learned from a free app. I do speak and read German as well so picking up another language has not seemed so hard. My husband has taken Spanish classes and can only order beer so I do think knowing at least one other language may be a help.

I use the duolingo app every morning for about 20-30 min. I have been using it for about 5 months and I am surprised how much I have learned from a free app. I do speak and read German as well so picking up another language has not seemed so hard. My husband has taken Spanish classes and can only order beer so I do think knowing at least one other language may be a help.
obviously your husband has his priorities!:):):)

It's true! He'll never be thirsty although not sure he'll be able to ask the way to the bathroom when needed!!! Guess that is why I'm going along. Quite a contingent of us from the Pacific Northwest on a forum. I had friends who did the CF last year and they told me they met at least 6 people from Boise.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's true! He'll never be thirsty although not sure he'll be able to ask the way to the bathroom when needed!!! Guess that is why I'm going along. Quite a contingent of us from the Pacific Northwest on a forum. I had friends who did the CF last year and they told me they met at least 6 people from Boise.
He also needs to learn ¿Dónde está el baño? or los servicios. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back