• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eight routes asking for official recognition as Caminos

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
An article in El Correo Gallego about 8 walking routes which are under review with the possibility of being given official status as Caminos. Including 3 from Braga. Some discussion on what the criteria for such recognition should be and the pros and cons of increasing the number of formally approved routes.

1691315488006.png

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is very, very interesting. Several of the routes look good, and I am looking forward to seeing what is decided. Thank you!

Interesting! It does look like the Xunta is trying to limits its recognition to routes with historical authenticity, but I know there are still some who question the decision to recognize the Invierno. So this is likely to be a political as well as a historical decision.

Three of these proposals are under 100 km (Muros y Noia, Mariñan, and Muxia por Brandomil), so official Xunta recognition is unlikely to mean anything to the Cathedral. The Cathedral has already accepted the Geira. The Kunig goes through Lugo, so its final 100 km are already on an accepted camino. Same for the Camiño do Mar, which is already on many people’s radar screens, and hooks up with the Inglés. Same is true for the San Rosendo, which connects with the Sanabrés in Ourense. The Miñoto, at least according to what I heard at many spots where the Geira intersected with it, is more of an “official” effort, while the Geira more of a grassroots effort. That fact seemed to be confirmed by the superior signage of the Geira. Officiallly pronounced caminos have a hard time without real local support, not just support from the mayor’s office. IMHO.

I think the lure of the official Xunta recognition is $$$$$$$/€€€€€€€€
The forum has had numerous posts pointing out the huge amounts of money the Xunta spends. The two I remember most are the 3 million euros spent on signage on the Invierno.
And then there was the 250,000 euros spent on a bridge to cross the Lires River between Muxia and Lires.

It is no wonder that towns are clamoring for official recognition!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Interesting! It does look like the Xunta is trying to limits its recognition to routes with historical authenticity
If that were so, they'd need to recognise almost every single pre-1850s road in Galicia.

And if they recognised the coach, air, and rail pilgrims, also every motorway, railway, and the airport. Not to mention every fishing village port.

I don't think that "historical" is a reasonable qualifier -- there are the major and secondary routes ; and then there are the tertiary ones and the variants. Focus on the former ; acknowledge the existence of the latter but that's all. I've walked along many sections of the latter kind, and spending tax €€€ on them would simply be a waste.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes I know that both are correct, but the "official denomination" of a new Camino should be unique (in Spanish or Galego).
Of course I don't know whether the "official denomination" of a Camino de Santiago must be unique and/or whether it must be the same in Spanish and Galego. You appear to say that Galicians prefer calling it Camiño do Mar even when they speak Spanish?

The spelling of Camino names in the Correo Gallego news article, although written in Spanish, appears not to be consistent: in the map they use Camiño exclusively, in the article they use Camino del Mar but Camiño do Norte. It is perhaps just careless proofreading?

As someone who, like @Bradypus, has been puzzled by the concept of "officially recognised Camino" because it does not appear to be explained anywhere, I was intrigued recently when someone pointed to Ley 5/2016, de 4 de mayo, del patrimonio cultural de Galicia which is mentioned on the Oficina del Peregrino website. This law is published in the BOE (official government bulletin), hence in Spanish. In its article 73, also mentioned on the Oficina website, it says in the most recent version:

Artículo 73. Concepto de los Caminos de Santiago.
1. Los Caminos de Santiago están formados por el conjunto de rutas reconocidas documentalmente de las que puede testimoniarse su uso como rutas de peregrinación de largo recorrido y que estructuran, conforman y caracterizan el territorio que atraviesan.
2. Las rutas principales de los Caminos de Santiago son: el Camino Francés; el Camino del Norte, ruta de la costa y ruta del interior, también conocido como Camino Primitivo o de Ovedo; el Camino Inglés; el Camino de Fisterra y Muxía; el Camino Portugués, interior y de la costa; la Vía de la Plata o Camino Mozárabe; y el Camino de Invierno.
3. Podrán ser reconocidas como Camino de Santiago aquellas rutas de las que se documente y justifique convenientemente su historicidad como rutas de peregrinación a Santiago de Compostela y su influencia en la formalización de la estructura del territorio por el que transcurren.
So these are the Caminos that are classified by the Spanish government as part of the cultural patrimony in Galicia, and they are therefore put under specific legal protection. They are protected because they are cultural patrimony and not because they are walked by people today. I think that in the past, the Cathedral used this official legal recognition for their conditions for awarding a Compostela. But they have now diverted from this principle because there are many more Caminos in the list that peregrin@s can tick as the Camino that they have walked in Galicia when they wish to obtain a Compostela (see their online registration form).

Last edited:
Of course I don't know whether the "official denomination" of a Camino de Santiago must be unique and/or whether it must be the same in Spanish and Galego. You appear to say that Galicians prefer calling it Camiño do Mar even when they speak Spanish?

The spelling of Camino names in the Correo Gallego news article, although written in Spanish, appears not to be consistent: in the map they use Camiño exclusively, in the article they use Camino del Mar but Camiño do Norte. It is perhaps just careless proofreading?

I always call it " Camiño do Mar" no matter the language I'm using but I' m sure that there are Galegos that call it " Camino del Mar".
What is clearly wrong is "Camiño do Norte" in an article written in Spanish. This mess is relatively easy for Spaniards and for veteran pilgrims in general but I don't know if it is for the rest.

they have now diverted from this principle because there are many more Caminos in the list that peregrin@s can tick as the Camino that they have walked in Galicia when they wish to obtain a Compostela (see their online registration form).
Below is a screenshot as an illustration because not everyone has the time and inclination to click on links: In the online registration form for your application for a Compostela, when you opt for "Via Celtica" as your Camino, you then have 11 possible starting points, ranging from Barizo to Ponte do Porto. These appear to be small towns in Galicia with a harbour or close to a harbour.

It is not explained anywhere that I can see but I assume these are Caminos that qualify for a Compostela, especially when you have walked a few dozen kilometres in your home country anywhere in the world. It is an excellent concept for the contemporary Camino peregrin@ but stretches the idea of a documented medieval pilgrimage route somewhat. Imho. :cool:

Via Celtica.jpg

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The legal framework is established by an earlier Law :

https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-1996-14651

The Ley 3/1996, de 10 de mayo (1996).

It states as its basic principle :

Artículo 1.

2. A los efectos de la presente Ley, se entiende como Camino de Santiago todas las rutas históricas reconocidas documentalmente.

(emphases mine)

However :

3. La ruta principal, dentro del marco de la presente Ley, es el «Camino francés», bien de interés cultural, según la delimitación de su territorio histórico, recogida en la Resolución de 12 de noviembre de 1992 de la Dirección General del Patrimonio Histórico y Documental.

4. Las otras rutas que se enmarcan en la denominación general de «Camino de Santiago» se corresponden con las actualmente conocidas como «Camino portugués», «Ruta de la plata», «Camino del norte», «Camino de Fisterra», «Camino inglés» y «Ruta del mar de Arousa y Ulla». Su delimitación y deslinde se realizará con arreglo a lo dispuesto en la presente Ley. Una vez deslindadas, les será de aplicación la protección prevista en la Ley del Patrimonio Cultural de Galicia para los bienes catalogados.

... means that extra legal protections are provided to any Camino route that has been recognised / officially established as one at the State level.

However, Article 1.2 establishes that every historically documented route is defined as being a part of the Way of Saint James.

The Way of Saint James is further defined, from a legal perspective, in :

Artículo 4.

El Camino de Santiago constituye un bien de dominio público de carácter cultural incluido en la categoría de territorio histórico. Como tal le será de aplicación la legislación general autonómica en esta materia.

The whole of this Law is interesting.

It is the Consejería de Cultura which seems to decide which Historic Camino routes are to be given particular legal protections, with the advice of the Comité Asesor del Camino de Santiago that is established by this Law.

-------------

So that it would seem that these laws make certain particular routes legally established routes of the Camino rather than "official" per se -- and that additionally, from the legal standpoint, an "officially recognised route" is any route of the Way of Saint James that is historically documented as being such, including both the legally established routes and those not legally established. So that would exclude the more poorly travelled tertiary routes and variants, as well as the network of individual routes from every village at least until they reach a junction with a historic route.

The wording of the Law plus the definition of the Camino as a "cultural good" does mean that it is legal to create such infrastructures as waymarkings (yellow arrows etc.) and Albergues and so on upon some secondary Camino routes not among those legally established, but that more extensive infrastructural work at the Regional or State level is only possible on the legally established routes, unless the Consejería de Cultura should recognise them as such and so undertake the responsibilities and expenses of such work.

The individual municipalities can of course do some of their own work on sections of non-legally established routes, but the Law establishes conditions and limitations for such work on those routes that have been.

---

This is coherent with the definitions of the more recent Law :

TÍTULO VI

Los Caminos de Santiago

Artículo 73. Concepto de los Caminos de Santiago.

1. Los Caminos de Santiago están formados por el conjunto de rutas reconocidas documentalmente de las que puede testimoniarse su uso como rutas de peregrinación de largo recorrido y que estructuran, conforman y caracterizan el territorio que atraviesan.
2. Las rutas principales de los Caminos de Santiago son: el Camino Francés; el Camino del Norte, ruta de la costa y ruta del interior, también conocido como Camino Primitivo o de Ovedo; el Camino Inglés; el Camino de Fisterra y Muxía; el Camino Portugués, interior y de la costa; la Vía de la Plata o Camino Mozárabe; y el Camino de Invierno.
3. Podrán ser reconocidas como Camino de Santiago aquellas rutas de las que se documente y justifique convenientemente su historicidad como rutas de peregrinación a Santiago de Compostela y su influencia en la formalización de la estructura del territorio por el que transcurren.

Which states that all historically known routes to Santiago form the Way of Saint James, though it limits that status to the long distance routes (and the 1996 Law defined them as walking routes).

It states certain routes as being the "principal" routes, but not the only ones, and that other routes can be established legally as such for the purposes of these Laws.

Last edited:
For what it's worth which isn't much ;): Ley 3/1996, de 10 de mayo (1996) is no longer in force. It has been repealed.

It says in red on the BOE website: [Disposición derogada].

And also: SE DEROGA, por Ley 5/2016, de 4 de mayo.

FWIW: This law is no longer in force. It has been repealed.
OK thanks but I don't think that the legal principles and definitions described therein are incorrect -- though in my edited comment, in edits that you may not have seen, I do take note of where the new Law has modified the definition of what a "Camino" is (short local routes from pueblos in Galicia near to Santiago are excluded from the definition, even should they be historic routes -- I would "guess" that a Camino would need to be about 100K or longer for legal or other "official" recognition ?).

That certain routes are legally established does not mean that other historically documented routes are not recognised.

I stand by my point that :

So that it would seem that these laws make certain particular routes legally established routes of the Camino rather than "official" per se -- and that additionally, from the legal standpoint, an "officially recognised route" is any route of the Way of Saint James that is historically documented as being such, including both the legally established routes and those not legally established. So that would exclude the more poorly travelled tertiary routes and variants, as well as the network of individual routes from every village at least until they reach a junction with a historic route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just to clarify: I see now that the Celtic Camino (walk 25 km in Ireland and then from Coruña to Santiago) is not the same as the Via Celtica. The Via Celtica itineraries must have flown under the forum radar for quite a while. You get a Compostela for it and it is walked in Galicia. See http://www.viaceltica.com/blog/inicio-es/

I now see on this same website (translated from Spanish):

On the basis of this work and with the help of Eduardo Prado Albaredo, a request was made to the Chapter of the S.A.M.I Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela to grant the "Compostela" to pilgrims who walk this itinerary, which was granted by the Delegado de Peregrinaciones del Cabildo, Segundo L. Pérez Lopez, on 27 November 2021 (Annus Sanctus Compostellanum).

Under the principle of maximum historical rigour we have recovered for the pilgrim ancestral paths relegated to oblivion, allowing those who walk them to relive a unique experience.
It sounds like they asked the Dean who is also the nominal boss of the Pilgrim Office (the Dean's signature is printed on the Compostela) and he said yes. And we are none the wiser. 😇

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back