• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

English friendly?

npak907

I've never before been to Europe, but i hear Americans do not get much respect. Is this a true statement along the Camino? Am i better off saying I'm from Alaska than I am America? Afterall, Alaska is certainly a little bit different than the continental US.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is no reason to hide your nationality. When traveling to another country show respect for the people, their culture, their language and the environment and you will be well received. If there may have been preconceived negative notions about any citizens of any particular country, you can help to change that by example.

I have never seen evidence of a lack of respect because I am American nor with others who come to Spain from a foreign country. It's mutual ... respect others and they will respect you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know it's a cliche but your treatment of other people will have a much bigger impact on how they treat you than your nationality. If you (attempt to) speak Spanish with locals you will feel more welcome. Some people might have a bit of a joke about American things, but it's just because your culture is so well exported - don't take it personally.

Don't bother about the Alaska distinction thing. People will probably just ask you how many polar bears you've shot etc. :D I'm Scottish, but trying to distinuish myself from the English with the locals is a waste of time. Even if they recognise the difference I'm asked where my 'skirt' (kilt) is.

Just be yourself and see if anyone from the rest of the world can actually bring themselves to like an American!!! I think they'll manage it! Ha ha! :D

Buen Camino!

You will have no problem in Europe. Actually, in my first two Caminos I only met one other American so we were a curiosity. In April and May of this year I ran into many Americans both on the Le Puy route and the Camino Frances. Many more Americans now.
Europeans may or may not like Americans, but will very seldom make their opinions known. Most tend to be very liberal and are excited that Obama was elected and tend to feel that all Americans must feel the same. Just stay away from partisan politics and you will not see any problem.
On the other hand....mentioning you are from Alaska (if you are :wink: ) is a great conversation starter.
Germans tend to get more attitude from the French on the Le Puy route.

markss said:
There is no reason to hide your nationality. When traveling to another country show respect for the people, their culture, their language and the environment and you will be well received. If there may have been preconceived negative notions about any citizens of any particular country, you can help to change that by example.

I have never seen evidence of a lack of respect because I am American nor with others who come to Spain from a foreign country. It's mutual ... respect others and they will respect you.

Well said. You hit the nail on the head. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Camino is walked by people from 70 different countries including pilgrims from all the countries between India until Kush! Very often English has become the Lingua Franca and will carry you through. Americans, why are you so worried? The Americans are well received almost everywhere DESPITE the gosh awful albergue they run in Najera. Do consider the jingoistic American reaction to the French criticism expressed during the Iraq wars - the only logical response came from Paris and certainly not from Texas!

People treat you (generally) how you treat them so treat people well and it'll likely be reciprocated. The ones who come back complaining about how Americans are treated badly probably received bad treatment as a result of their actions and/or attitudes.

Rather than hiding the fact that you're an American, be an example of what a "good" American is like.

I've hidden the fact that I was American only once and that is because I was traveling alone in the Middle East shortly after 9/11 and was leery. I quickly learned how unnecessary that was and people were amazingly friendly when they discovered my nationality (though that may be somewhat different now).

If you're one to talk politics, keep in mind that the American Govt is generally pretty disliked so be prepared for that and if it'll bother you, avoid the topic.

I wouldn't worry about it. But do try to speak Spanish when you can, no matter how awful your accent. Everyone will be intrigued about Alaska so if you have any photographs of your pet polar bear, do bring them along. Probably best not to mention that if are Sarah Palin's cousin.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have always received a warm welcome, both in previous years in France and this year in the Czech Republic and Germany. Always I remember that I am on European soil, and I should not be surprised when things are different from at home. And I firmly believe that learning the basic polite phrases in the local language shows respect.

When American travelers get an unwelcome response, it is usually because (1) someone insisted that Europe should be exactly like America; (2) someone complained about the Europeans not speaking English; or (3) someone got into a political discussion.

I remember my first trip to Europe (London in 1975). The shopkeeper asked me if I were Canadian. This ruffled my feathers, proud patriotic college kid that I was. However, my mother quickly set me aright. She said, " That's ok. If they ask if you're an American, you've obviously done something wrong. So being called a Canadian is a compliment."

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think that on the Camino your intentions, words, and actions are going to determine how people treat you, not where you are from. Overall, the Camino is full of wonderful, good people who really show and demonstrate the great things about mankind. This forum is a great example of the friendly, good-hearted, non-judging communication we are all capable of. If there is any prejudice along the way, it is little and not supported by the majority of walkers, though I haven´t come across anything like that.

Hope you´re able to put all this behind and find the way in which you are most comfortable, because ultimately, that´s what´s going to matter.

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
my experience is that how you are treated is often a reflection of how you treat others.A person that interacts with others in an honest, humble and open manner will be treated well...

there is an old english joke about the spanish....."lady says to her friend....they never understood me over there...even when i shouted!"

i have travelled canada, america...and all over europe without feeling wronged in any way....the only time i saw such was a group of young teens from dallas? walking through cenral london chanting U S A....U S A......they recieved heckling...possibly deservedly

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.