• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Liner Socks

misspenn2519

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2024
Hopefully no one mocks me too hard for this question, but I'm making a shopping list and am now on socks. At this point, I've decided to do the Camino (route Frances) using a pair of tried and true Salomon trail runners (definitely let me know if you think this is a bad decision, but I tend to hate heavy high top hiking boots). Given the shoe is low cut, I really don't think I want more than a quarter sock. I've added some lightweight merino wool ones to my list but read I should maybe also have a silk liner. Would something like a women's trouser sock do, which is made of nylon/silk/polyester? Or does it need to be more padded? I see the REI co-op ones but not sure of others. Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Peg wore nylon socks under her wool ones and they worked well. The secret to socks is to get a snug fit (but not tight). They should act as an extra skin layer. The shoe rubs against the sock but the sock shouldn't rub against your skin. The inner sock helps here in that if the outer sock would rub against skin it rubs against the inner sock instead.

There are a lot of ways to keep your feet happy and blister free but they don't always work for everyone. Experiment to find what works for you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've decided to do the Camino (route Frances) using a pair of tried and true Salomon trail runners
Your "tried and true" trail runners sound like a good choice if they don't have many "miles" on them. I have never felt a need to wear sock liners, so am not able to comment on them. I do wear quarter length socks on the Camino.

I wore Salomon trail runnera on both my Caminos and they are great. Mine were brand new when I did the Frances and were worn down by the end along the heel flap but they held it together. I recommended bringing an extra set of laces as mine did break halfway though. Here’s a photo of my shoes after the Frances.

Attachments

• IMG_5158.jpeg
    IMG_5158.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started my walk with nylon liners under my socks but in the end just put some ‘foot glide’ on my feet each day and wore Steigen anti blister running socks (Lycra & nylon blend) They are my sock of choice for all walking and hiking that I do. They fit snug and don’t slide.

My routine twice a day: in the early morning, rub vaseline into my feet, put on silk liners, put on Smart Wool medium weight socks, put on Saucony trail runners. Hike. In the afternoon after showering, rub vaseline into my feet, put on Injinji socks and slip into light weight "Crocks" for going around town. I never had a blister nor a hot spot. Happy feet all the way from SJPdP to Santiago.

I wear nylons under my socks, but turn both of them inside out so the seams don't rub. A lot cheaper than silk liners. No blisters yet in 5 Caminos.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
If you have never walked long disances before I would recommend wearing silk liners. I wore them for my first few caminos. I still bring along a slightly thicker liner sock made of a synthetic fabric similar to Merino I sometimes just wear those socks.
I think your choice of trail runners is the correct one. I would recommend buying a new pair that is at least a half a size larger as your feet will expand. Trail runners do not need a break in period. But I would wear them for a few days to make sure there are no structural issues.
Hi everyone, we are planning our first camino this May 20-29th 2024 and want to walk the Norte route.

I wore Salomon trail runnera on both my Caminos and they are great. Mine were brand new when I did the Frances and were worn down by the end along the heel flap but they held it together. I recommended bringing an extra set of laces as mine did break halfway though. Here’s a photo of my shoes after the Frances.
Everyone walks differently and have different shoe preferences. It seems to me that many people say that their trail runners, Salomon among them tend to break down towards the end.
I have even heard of people bringing a second pair or buying a second pair during their camino.
I will start my 9th camino this October in my Brooks Cascadias. I average about 1,000K per camino. Some a little more and some a little less. The furthest I have walked is about 1400K. I have always worn my Brooks Cascadias. Have not had a blister since 2015. I think that blister was caused by bargain basement socks. In fact, I do my daily walks between caminos in my old pair of Cascadias. Never have had a problem and although they do wear down they have never worn out or have a needed a new pair of laces.
I know a few other die hard Cascadia owners who would parrot my review.
We all have our preferences, I am only relaying my preference and personal experience. Buen Camino

Hopefully no one mocks me too hard for this question, but I'm making a shopping list and am now on socks. At this point, I've decided to do the Camino (route Frances) using a pair of tried and true Salomon trail runners (definitely let me know if you think this is a bad decision, but I tend to hate heavy high top hiking boots). Given the shoe is low cut, I really don't think I want more than a quarter sock. I've added some lightweight merino wool ones to my list but read I should maybe also have a silk liner. Would something like a women's trouser sock do, which is made of nylon/silk/polyester? Or does it need to be more padded? I see the REI co-op ones but not sure of others. Thank you!
I recommend these. Never had a single blister.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Shoes are matter of “what fits best”!
I’m a big fan of liner socks(synthetic), I’ve always worn them. They work well for preventing “hot spots” & wicking moisture.
Just sayin’

Trail runners are a great option, they're lightweight and dry out quickly, especially if you remove the liners at night.
I think the secret to zero blisters for me was a generous application of Vaseline every morning before walking, and wool socks.
Wool dries faster than cotton. I had two pair of Wright socks which incorporate a liner into the sock. They worked well but didn't dry as well as the wool socks.
Best of luck and Buen Camino!

I have a pair of Injinji toe socks I bring "just in case", but have never needed them. Toe socks are loved by some people and feel weird to others. I guess I am lucky as I never need to pamper my feet by slathering on products, nor wearing additional liner or toe socks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I tried silk liner socks and found that they wear out very quickly and then not only felt bad on my feet they also caused problems. My last two caminos I have just used Darn Tough socks and occasional taping (with padding) if needed in the hot spots.

My wife and I regularly train new walkers. We always say that the three most important items are shoes, socks and backpack. We make no recommendations; they must suit the walker. Feet can be so different, even the two feet of our own! If you like the trail runners, stick with them. We prefer wicking socks with thin liners, but went through many before the angels sang. You don't want to know how many backpacks my better half has been through over the years still searching for the perfect pack which may only exist in a parallel universe. But she has several that she is comfortable with and match her needs.

Please, please do practice camino walks to test out your shoes, socks and backpack. We often see new arrivals on a camino with brand new everything. Some are lucky; too many are not, paying the price for not getting comfortable with what essentially is an extension of your body for many hours a day...day after day after day.

Buen camino!

I wore silk liner socks under lightweight Merino wool socks (got both at REI in the states.)
Worked great for me, no blisters other than a couple where my toes rub. I put a bandaid on those and then started rubbing Foot Glide between my toes. Worked great walking in low cut Merrill Moab II hiking shoes.

My wife went with Coolmax liner socks under merino wool socks, walking in Hoka Speed Goat trail runners. She had zero blisters.

Jim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Try out your combination of socks before you leave. Just like you would walk in the shoes/boots you plan to take to get a feel for them and mold them to your feet, try our the socks and find what's best for you. In my training/testing I went with Injinji toe socks (coolmax not wool) as liners and then mid-wight Smartwool hiking socks, and it's the only time I've gotten a blister. So find out before you leave.

Darn Tough is my recommendation.

I have never used a liner sock. Just Bridgedale lightweight merino socks. But some people recommend and need liners. I think it depends on your feet. I did have a pair of Icebreaker merino liners but found the didn’t make any difference.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You could try the Injinji sock liners I have found them very good with a Smartwool sock over top, I also use Vaseline on my feet

Hi Misspenn2519
One thing to share that influenced my choice was that two of my toes are close together and they start rubbing after a while - so the toe sock liner was great at preventing that friction point. I also changed the inner liner at the half way point daily- my feet thanked me. I walked the CF in Sept/ 0ct 2023 fromSJPD almost blister free ( small rock in heal I did not stop to remove created a wee one) - happy walking ! Jen

Try Ininji Toe Liner Socks, ultra thin and fit like a glove, dry quickly and also help reduce blisters.

I never wear wool socks, they take too long to dry. Socks made with Coolmax dry overnight which is important on a Camino if it is not warm.

Another option to to Solomon's is Altras Lone Peak trail runners, have a wide to box. But if you like your Sol's stick with them.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
haha lots of advice ... and these definitely worth a look ... did the Madrid/San Salvador in the MK1 version and they were great...bit fiddly to start but the toes stretch a bit so soon fit snugly and hey ya got all day anyway so a minute longer in the morning vs blisters hmmmmm ???
will buy some of these now.
(as always soak and wash b4 wearing.)

Trail runners and Darntuff sock’s for me, comfort is King. Swapped over midway through the day and pinned securely to my rucksack to air. One pair washed each night, the second start’s the next day. Shoes off for every break of 10 minutes or more. Socks - depends on weather.

Some love liner’s, some Vaseline their feet, we’re all very individual.
I do neither - doesn’t work for me. The ONLY time I got a blister was when I tried the Vaseline method!

Try out your combo for 3 - 4 days in a row as part of your training, minimum 10km per day (15 would be better, even if just once if you can manage it). With pack. You’ll very quickly find out if it’s going to work for you or not

As discussed above, for long distance walking you need anything from a half to a full size larger, most peoples feet swell, and slide forward slightly on downhills. You don’t want to loose your toenails - happens all too often!

I have always used twin layer hiking socks and till date have not had a blister. Yes drying them takes longer.

Merino wool has good reviews but I have seen some users with horrible blisters

It is about the combination of socks with footwear. If this is your first major hire remember that your feet swell up and wearing shoes a size larger makes it more comfortable and this also accommodates the twin layer socks

Boots or trail shoes is a matter of choice. I have always worn boots but my next Camino in two weeks will be in shoes. I would recommend trail shoes not running shoes as the rigid soles of trail shoes will support the feet better on uneven ground/ cobbles etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My advice on sock liners - what fits best given your feet, the volume inside your shoe, and the volume of your "main" sock, is what you should wear. I have worn sock liners on a camino with roomier hiking shoes and loved them. On a different camino I omitted sock liners using shoes that fit more snugly with the socks I wore, and that worked fine too. You will be amazed that as thin as sock liners are, they do take up some volume in your shoe. That's good or bad, depending whether that extra volume helps or hurts.

In my opinion fit/comfort should be the overriding criteria. Just experiment with a pair of sock liners as you train and decide what feels the best.

Salomon’s will work. I wore Hokas for mine - I don’t like the heavy uppers either. After trying many different combos and tricks (I was military in a former life) I settled on just a good pair of midweight merino wool socks. My go to is darn tough. I’d recommend getting a good 20-30 miles of practice walks in with your kit (backpack, shoes, socks, etc) as trial runs before you go. Get it all dialed in so once you’re there it’s smooth sailing. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I won't mock the socks! :)

I second others here...silk liner socks under wool worked well for me for backcountry hikes in warm weather with ventilated hiking boots.

The silk is a buffer for your skin, and the wool will provide some cushion and wick away moisture.

Good luck!

When I first started "serious" walking perhaps 30+ years ago, I would often get blisters, usually on the bottom of my foot. Someone recommended Thorlo socks - once very popular here in the US but not seen as much now but still available. They come in a variety of colors, heights and padding. I've never had a blister or even a hot spot since starting to wear them. I even wear them daily to work, church, etc.

I have used Salomon X-Ultra over many years (both non-Goretex and Goretex) on certain types of hike and they have been excellent. Ditto for merino socks (sans liners).

However an important element you don’t mention is the footbed (or inner sole).

The first thing I do with the supplied ones is remove them and replace them with something a good deal better. That’s a low bar to cross.

That used to mean Superfeet Green (later on Orange) and now Sidas running inner soles with a high arch (as suits my foot - other arch types available).

I have used Salomon X-Ultra over many years (both non-Goretex and Goretex) on certain types of hike and they have been excellent. Ditto for merino socks (sans liners).

However an important element you don’t mention is the footbed (or inner sole).

The first thing I do with the supplied ones is remove them and replace them with something a good deal better. That’s a low bar to cross.

That used to mean Superfeet Green (later on Orange) and now Sidas running inner soles with a high arch (as suits my foot - other arch types available).
This is great feedback, thank you. I am planning to use my Salomon trail runners which are broken in and still in excellent shape. So you are saying take out those insoles and buy a better padded one? The only socks I've ordered so far are these Merino blend.. I wanted quarter socks and limited choices. If I'm hiking in May, do you recommend a thicker sock and/or crew? Also, with Merino socks there's no need for silk liner?

Apologies for all of my questions - I'm a total novice!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is great feedback, thank you. I am planning to use my Salomon trail runners which are broken in and still in excellent shape. So you are saying take out those insoles and buy a better padded one? The only socks I've ordered so far are these Merino blend.. I wanted quarter socks and limited choices. If I'm hiking in May, do you recommend a thicker sock and/or crew? Also, with Merino socks there's no need for silk liner?

Apologies for all of my questions - I'm a total novice!
The inner soles that I use as replacements offer much better shock absorption and generally hold the foot better.

However the key question for an individual is “does this work with my foot?”.

Using a different inner sole and/or thicker socks (or adding a liner sock) subtly changes the volume of either the shoe or the foot that is fitting into it. As does the weather - hotter weather tends to mean larger feet and vice versa.

Getting the volume correct also includes how you lace up the footwear. So there are a lot of factors at play here.

Having the foot too loose is almost as bad as having it too tight, but at least offers some potential options to improve.

One of the best features of the Salomon shoes is the “speed lacing” which I find convenient and effective.

In general in May in Spain it will be warm and hence your feet slightly larger than if it were cold. If you decide on liner socks and then discover things are tighter than you like you can at least remove them. Whereas having thicker socks would mean replacing those with some that are less bulky.

It really is an individual choice as to how they feel for you.

But as a starting point having familiar shoes is certainly a good one. The Salomons don’t need much “breaking in” so if you are planning a hike of around say 1500km/1000miles I’d start with a pretty new pair. And then walk them in a bit with the inner sole/sock combination you plan to use. And see how that feels.

If buying footwear with which I’m not already familiar I always take the inner soles and socks I plan to use with me to the shop.

A final point might be that good care of feet (and nails) will always repay the effort.

Happy feet, happy hiker.

I used Lorpen sock liners under my merino wool socks. They are not ankle high though, but did the job perfectly.
Feet felt snug in my shoes from the double layers, but that prevented friction. Any friction was transfered to the liner. No blister. Plus I put Nok cream under my feet and on blisterprone spots every night over a month before I left, and every night before bed while on the camino. No blister.

Are you using the toe socks or regular?

Nevermind - I see they are all to socks. Did you use the trail midweight?
I actually have 2 different sets (well technically I have 3 pairs in each category so to speak). Yes they all are toe socks. my liners a medium and the other is regular mid-weight
I like them to go 1/2 way up my calf so mine are crew
My wife just tried the toe socks couple of months ago and she likes mini crew
To each his\her own but IMHO at east for me they are game changers and a great help

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.