• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue pillows

eccydee

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Do the albergues provide pillows and if so what size? Thinking of bringing our own lightweight pillow slips that have been treated with permethrin and wondering if the usual pillow slip size will suit.

First Camino starting late April - Porto to Santiago.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, most Albergues provide pillows...

I always bring a pillowcase...

Spain uses a longer size of pillow (and therefore case) than we use in Ireland.

Kind of works...

Have never used permethrin...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Stuff your pillowcase with clothes or other non-noisy items from your pack to create your own pillow.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to rest my head and face on a pillowcase treated with a powerful insecticide every night. But you are, of course, free to choose your own path in life.

Spanish pillows are long and thin. As wide as the mattress but much thinner than UK pillows. You might be able to get the right size pillow case using Amazon. Most albergues have pillows that have a thin plastic cover that's sealed, as are their mattresses. It does stop bed bug infestation in any pillows or mattresses. Frequently you will be given, or can buy, a disposable paper sheet and pillowcase. I try and use the first one twice so I can carry a set with me in case I stay somewhere without linen available. My quick-dry towel is usually dry by bedtime so I drape that over my pillow, purely for comfort.

I have been bitten by bed bugs, more than once (not just on Camino either), but I very much doubt the pillows are where they hide in albergues, these days. Permethrin doesn't prevent you getting bitten as it takes several hours to kill the bed bugs. There are lots of threads about this! I spray the inside of my pack and the dry bags I use within my pack. I hope that if I pick up a hitch hiker it will die before my next destination.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do the albergues provide pillows and if so what size? Thinking of bringing our own lightweight pillow slips that have been treated with permethrin and wondering if the usual pillow slip size will suit.

I’m not keen on the idea of putting my face right against a permethrin treated pillow myself. We each have our own comfort levels though.
I’ve not done it, but have considered, bringing my own bedbug proof pillow case. They’re cheap light and you could stuff whatever you want in.

I bring an inflatable pillow. Decathlon has a good one for only 20 bucks and 135 grams. Having a good sleep is important and I’m a creature of habit. I really like knowing what my pillow is going to be like from one night to the next.
I believe Sea to Summit has a pillow (Eros? No that’s not right, Aeros?) that is half that weight…but at four times the price, so a cost/weight calculation makes it an iffy choice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For our first and second Camino Frances, we purchased inflatable / blow up pillows from Sea to Summit, which we kept in a pillow case. Easy to use and very light. For our 3rd and 4th CF, we didn't bring pillows, sleep sacks or sleeping bags, since we reserved private rooms the entire camino and these were provided.
Bob

Treating your gear is no guarantee against bedbugs. They are tenacious. Many places have pillows encased in plastic covers and mattresses with the same. This discourages bedbugs from hiding there. They are more likely to hide in some dark place in the daytime (like a seam in a wall, behind a wall hanging, a crevice in the bunkbed frame, in a pile of bedding, back or bottomside of a mattress, etc.) and come out at night. You rarely see one crawling around on a pillow or mattress in the daytime.

Although as hospitaleros, we do surveillance for bedbugs every morning during our routine bunk room cleaning using a strong headlamp, I have only encountered them them once as a pilgrim and so far never as a hospitalera in seven trips to the Camino Some people encounter them on every Camino and others not.

I have never encountered any albergues without a pillow. As mentioned above they are longer than you might be used to. I always bring my own pillow case, so I can wash it whenever. You will need a pillow case from a King or Queen size sheet set.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m not keen on the idea of putting my face right against a permethrin treated pillow myself. We each have our own comfort levels though.
I’ve not done it, but have considered, bringing my own bedbug proof pillow case.
You might want to check what the company has done to make it bed bug proof.

Treating with permethrin will not deter bed bugs nor kill bed bugs on contact. They can get into your sleeping bag or liner, have a quick snack, and then skedaddle. However, prolonged contact with permethrin can kill them. For that reason I treat my silk sleep sack, the interior of my backpack and all my cloth stuff sacks. If any of the little pests gets inside my bag I don't want them coming out alive. I don't want to be the pilgrim who is transporting them from place to place - or into my home!

I brought a hiking/ camping pillow (lightweight and packable) on the Frances but stopped using it after a while. Most (all?) albergues provide a pillow. I carried a super lightweight sleeping bag that had the outside treated with permethrin, so I just pulled the bag up on top of the albergue pillow (the hood area of the bag) so I got the benefit of the albergue pillow but my skin never touched the actual pillow or pillowcase. Worked for me. Buen Camino!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Good point by Trecile. You could be taking home bedbugs from the Camino, the airport, the airplane.

When I get home I always put everything, including the clothes I'm wearing into a large garbage bag and put it into a freezer, or outside in the sun for a few days, anywhere there is prolonged heat or freezing for several days.

Do the albergues provide pillows and if so what size?
I have in front of me now, one of the disposable pillow cases that was provided by an albergue. It measures 40 cm x 90 cm, and is tubular - open at both ends.

Even if you bring a wider (than 40 cm) pillowcase, having it open at both ends is a good idea, so you can center it on the pillow no matter what the length.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think I have mentioned this before, but some hotels that have double beds with what Phil and I call the "unipillow". It is one long pillow that stretches across the top of the whole mattress and it is in the shape of a long thick sausage roll. It isn't all that comfortable as a head rest and to make it even less appealing just about the time you get to sleep, your partner grabs it in his sleep and jerks it out from under your head.

I do have a couple of inflatable camp pillows that I have employed in the past against this threat to my beauty sleep. I haven't brought one for a couple of years now. It's easy enough now to make a reservation if needed at a place that doesn't use these sleep robbing pillows. I always check the photos of the rooms in advance and avoid the "unipillow" places.

The pillows at albergues are often a half version of the "unipillow" and again not all that comfortable (at least no one is jerking it out from under your head). If you are pillow particular consider a stuff sack full of clothes or an inflatable pillow.

I use a scarf as a pillowcase. Usually you will get a pillowcase and a bottom sheet for your bunk although not always. Having a dual purpose item like a scarf is a good alternative.
Or use a sarong which can be used to block out light, sit on at lunch, use as towel if yr towel is still damp and many other uses for the strong. Ie scarf etc

I did this. I bought a large silk pillow case that was very lightweight and treated it with permethrin. Also brought a lightweight sleeping bag liner treated with permethrin. Glad I did. Most of the albergues provide disposable sheets and pillow cases that are scratchy and uncomfortable. I could never get the bed sheets to fit the mattress either. The sheets were always way too small.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.