• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment,What worked for me.

trism286

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May?june 2016 from SJPP, CF last 200k May2017, CF 2018 from SJPP 18th April
A few things that worked for me and a few that didn't.
Good things.
1. A small led red bike light with a rubber strap mount which I could fix to the bunk bed for early morning packing and for clipping on to a pole for walking by the side of the road in the dark. £2 ebay from China
2. Osprey Atmos backpack, The bottle pockets have 2 angles 1 facing forward so that you can get to your water bottles without taking the pack off and that the hip padding is sprung so you don't always have to buckle the strap which was handy if you wanted your waterproof unzipped to get some air in. Basically I loved the pack.
3. Decent Leki multipoint feet for my poles, they are curved and have 6 tips to make the poles silent and hardly any wear after 540 miles.
4. Ear plugs, but learn how to put them in, roll them up push then in your ear then with the other hand hold the back of your ear back to open the ear canal and hold the plug in for at least a minute. It will dampen the sound twice as much as if you just stick them in.
5. Normal soap bar for everything and a plastic Tupperware holder for it.
6. Rab lightweight short gaiters after a few days I wore them all the time to keep the stones out.
7. Buy a buff when your there, they do Camino printed ones which were cheaper than buying a buff in the uk.
I used the buff most of the time and hardly wore my cap, but its a personal choice but the buff won for me.
8. I took a poncho and a Pertex jacket and pack cover. I needed both and used both.
Not so good.
1. Salomon X Ultra boots mid 2 gtx boots. No blisters but the stitching started to fail after 250 miles and by Santiago uppers had splits by the stitching and leaked the worst I've ever known boots leak .
2. Using socks as gloves on cold morning was horrible you cant grip the poles. take gloves.
3. Always carry toilet roll.
4. Dry bags do leak take bin bags as well.
5. Putting coins etc in my pockets, by the time I had finished both pockets were worn out. put them in a bag or purse 1st
And finally a few tips
Put your earplugs and sleeping mask in your sleeping bag before you roll it up. Then you have them to hand.
If you follow the Brierley stages it will be busy where you stop.
Start Walking at 1st light its so nice seeing the morning light and I never had a "completo" walking in May and June.
The walk to Finnisterre was a fantastic experience, do it!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for this useful information :)
41taGaxabCL._AC_UL130_.jpg

Are these the Leki multipoint ones you talk about?

The ones I had are that shape but also had 6 Tungsten tips, I found them on e bay for about £20.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thumbs up for the small red light. Even if you do get an eyeful your night vision is unaffected.

Dry bags leaking ? I've never had a problem with Exped drybags leaking, even with full immersion
of bags when I've been sailing.

Put your earplugs and sleeping mask in your sleeping bag before you roll it up. Then you have them to hand.

Hi, mine live in my glasses’ case. When I put my glasses away at night I take out the earplugs and sleeping mask. Reverse the process in the morning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thumbs up for the small red light. Even if you do get an eyeful your night vision is unaffected.

Dry bags leaking ? I've never had a problem with Exped drybags leaking, even with full immersion
of bags when I've been sailing.

I had an issue with the one with my sleeping bag in, I think it was when I put the pack down on the wet ground, my sleeping bag was in the bottom section maybe its like a tent when something has weight on it the water seeps past?

That's the ones.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.