• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eso sí, ¿qué es? (S-O-C-K-S)

Prentiss Riddle

Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada
Time of past OR future Camino
Português and/or Francés in 2023
I'm trying to puzzle out all the conflicting advice about socks.

In particular, the one-sock vs. two-sock camps.

So far all of my experiments using sock liners around my home town have created more friction than single socks. Is it because I'm not applying vaseline to adhere the liners to my feet? I have to admit that sounds gross. Do all two-sock believers even do the vaseline thing? Or is it because of peculiarities of my feet or my shoes (Merrell Moabs)? Or maybe the particular combination of inner and outer socks I'm wearing?

Come to think of it, does the double-sock crowd mostly wear boots, not shoes?

Isn't the double sock plus vaseline hot in summer?

Whichever kind of sock you believe in, do you have a favorite affordable brand (with web links, if possible)?

I'll start: For a ~10-mile day around town, here are my preferred winter socks. They're cheap, warm, machine washable, and (so far) durable.

Magellan Outdoors Rugged Outdoor Merino Lambswool Socks, 2-pack
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-153-rugged-outdoor-merino-lambswool-socks-2-pack/

Thanks for your tips.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think the object is to achieve less friction, your socks need to be snug and not worn out, old and odd fitting. I do the vaseline, silk liners and merino wool socks routine. I also wear boots due to a serious ankle problem. Heat in the summer is not an issue but I generally change my socks about 3 or 4 hours into my walk to get the sweaty ones off and some fresh ones on.

I'm trying to puzzle out all the conflicting advice about socks.

In particular, the one-sock vs. two-sock camps.

So far all of my experiments using socks liners around my home town have created more friction than single socks. Is it because I'm not applying vaseline to adhere the liners to my feet? I have to admit that sounds gross. Do all two-sock believers even do the vaseline thing? Or is it because of peculiarities of my feet or my shoes (Merrell Moabs)? Or maybe the particular combination of inner and outer socks I'm wearing?

Come to think of it, does the double-sock crowd mostly wear boots, not shoes?

Isn't the double sock plus vaseline hot in summer?

Whichever kind of sock you believe in, do you have a favorite affordable brand (with web links, if possible)?

I'll start: For a ~10-mile day around town, here are my preferred winter socks. They're cheap, warm, machine washable, and (so far) durable.

Magellan Outdoors Rugged Outdoor Merino Lambswool Socks, 2-pack
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-153-rugged-outdoor-merino-lambswool-socks-2-pack/

Thanks for your tips.

Prentiss:

I agree with the statement that you should use whatever combination works for you. I personally use Vaseline, (rubbed into my feet), after I shower and in the morning and two pair of Smartwool medium thickness socks. The Vaseline is not only to reduce friction but to care for my feet. The socks are Smartwool (brand name). They cost $17. a pair and are well worth the money, imo. Whether that is reasonable or not is an individual consideration.

Ultreya,
Joe

For me using two pair of socks worked well with heavy boots. Once I started hiking in lightweight boots one heavy pair of socks worked better. Now that I hike mostly in trail shoes a light (not ultra light) to medium pair of socks work great. My feet have always had a tendency to get cold and it took me many years to figure out they were cold due to heavy socks that would over heat my feet and make them sweat. My sock of choice is Smartwool PHD Outdoor either medium or light depending on the time of year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unfortunately, there's no 'one size fits all' answer to the perennial sock question. I've tried many options and found that liners don't work for me. When hiking in boots, I wear one pair of smartwool socks. In trail shoes, I wear one pair of technical socks, (my favourites are Lurbel), or one pair of lightweight merino wool socks.

I agree with the advice about changing socks and allowing the feet to cool down ever few hours. Soaking them in cold water at the end of each day also helps.

There's probably lots of advice about this on other threads - especially the ones about blisters.

Tried the liner plus sock and failed myserably: the liners would bunch up at the bottom of my foot. Have since tried double layer socks with success (Wright's) as well as single layer wool socks. Just yesterday I purchased a pair a trail Injinjis. Wondered how I would like having material between my toes but I don't feel it and the material the socks are made of is very soft and comfortable. Just try, try and try, until you find something you like. But no matter what sock I wear I always use vaseline, or Bagbalm, of Vick's Vapour Rub in the morning.

And we are of the 3 sock group. Thin liners mid weight inner and cushion sole outer. We tend to walk in Spring and wear boots. No vaseline but foot powder pm (for me) and am for Terry. The layers keep our feet dry, damp/sweat is wicked away to the outer layer and the middle layer takes the friction. This is the layer we actually wear out. Works for us, we find that 2 layers is not as good and 1 layer no good at all. We experimented until we found our perfect combination. So no 'rules' or even advice, just suggestions.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks, everybody. I had no idea that there was a three-sock group!

The advice to experiment is good except that at home we never do as many miles at a go as we will on the camino. We have to make some kind of an educated guess before we pack.

For now we're going to try the one-sock approach and see what happens.

¡Gracias!

Tried the liner plus sock and failed myserably: the liners would bunch up at the bottom of my foot. Have since tried double layer socks with success (Wright's) as well as single layer wool socks. Just yesterday I purchased a pair a trail Injinjis. Wondered how I would like having material between my toes but I don't feel it and the material the socks are made of is very soft and comfortable. Just try, try and try, until you find something you like. But no matter what sock I wear I always use vaseline, or Bagbalm, of Vick's Vapour Rub in the morning.
AHHH, yes I forgot to mention the Vick's. At the end of the day after a shower an application of Vick's is pure heaven. The secret is don't share it because the containers are way too small to last you an entire Camino.

AHHH, yes I forgot to mention the Vick's. At the end of the day after a shower an application of Vick's is pure heaven. The secret is don't share it because the containers are way too small to last you an entire Camino.
Someone mentioned Dimethicone as the active ingredient for a product that would be an alternative to vaseline, Knok, Vick's what have you. When I went to visit my dad in hospital today I noticed this tube on his night table: Proshield Plus - Dimethacon Ointment - Skin Protectant. This is a link to it: http://proshieldplus.ca/

Wonder if they would sell one unit at a time and retail?

Wait, wait, Amazone US sells it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TLUSX4/?tag=casaivar02-20

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We do nylons (my husband learned it in his military service, I learned from the scouts) and medium weight wool socks. Just one blister in eight caminos between the three of us...

I was in REI yesterday buying a new pair of trail runners. Their shoe guy who was showing me a new way to lace my shoes suggested I might not need the liners (Fox River under SmartWool). That might be so, but I've had two blister-free caminos and don't want to jinx myself. Meanwhile, a friend who wants to walk with me this year is determined to wear a thin pair of cotton knee-highs. To each his own...

We do nylons (my husband learned it in his military service, I learned from the scouts) and medium weight wool socks. Just one blister in eight caminos between the three of us...
Used to go downhill skying with a pair of nylon with a regular school uniform sock on top. Never had cold feet. But then again, I also sprayed aerosol antiperspirant.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can someone explain to me what Vicks (vapo-rub) does for your feet? I usually rub it on my chest for a bad chest cold, but never heard of it for feet. What gives?

Darn Tough Socks are great. Unconditional Lifetime guarantee. I have had socks replaced at stores that sold Darn Tough Socks, because of the unconditional lifetime guarantee.

Can someone explain to me what Vicks (vapo-rub) does for your feet? I usually rub it on my chest for a bad chest cold, but never heard of it for feet. What gives?
Hi Susan, Its supposed to do the same as Vaseline but with the added ingredients is supposed to be better.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For what it's worth. We started with the two-sock system from mountain backpacking. That system works great in that context, but proved too hot for a summer (July 3-Aug. 9, Frances) camino. Along with jettisoning the boots, be bought cool max socks to use as single socks. The polypro liner socks we used only in out sandals when it was raining--the smartwool socks we should have mailed home (but instead we carried them on our backs halfway across Spain for no good reason).

Try, try, try I was saying just yesterday. Little did I know how true this is. After wearing my new injinjis over the weekend I discovered this morning a tear in the skin where the little toe attaches to the ball of the foot. This only happens to me after days and days on diving boats, diving 4 or 5 times a day. I can only guess that this is due to humidity being retained in the sock plus the friction in that spot due to the toe glove?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My friend walked the Camino in Wright socks, which guarantee "no blisters" because they are light and double-lined. She didn't have any blisters. I've been training in them (my socks, not hers) and they are excellent.

http://www.wrightsock.co.uk/

My friend walked the Camino in Wright socks, which guarantee "no blisters" because they are light and double-lined. She didn't have any blisters. I've been training in them (my socks, not hers) and they are excellent.

http://www.wrightsock.co.uk/
Thank you Angela. When the skin heels I will start testing again, with vaseline or other product. Cannot believe the pain at the moment. So I walk in socks in the hospital looking after my dad rather than wearing hicking shoes.

Thank you Angela. When the skin heels I will start testing again, with vaseline or other product. Cannot believe the pain at the moment. So I walk in socks in the hospital looking after my dad rather than wearing hicking shoes.

Also, FYI I got the socks at MEC.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wore one pair of hiking socks, Lidl's best for €3.99. I made a point of changing them once a day while walking, usually about half way through the day or if my feet felt too hot. I wore a Columbia walking shoe. I got no blisters and my feet were happy! However my walking companion wore the same socks albeit a different walking shoe and her feet were one big blister. So I have to agree with above find what works for you and go with it. For my friend each night we had to drain new blisters or blisters that had refilled, until we met some students who told us about threading the blisters, basically instead of putting a pin hole in the blister, thread the needle , and in one side of the blister out the other side and leave the thread in it over night, the blisters were dried out by morning and didn't refill. That's just something that worked for her, maybe not everyone's cup of tea!!. I'm going to bring myself a needle and thread just in case this year.!!
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.