• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Estremoz (Portugal)

Martin 888

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances ‘19 and ‘22, Camino Portuguese ‘23
Was in the town of Estremoz, northeast of Evora today in Portugal. This region is east/south east of Lisbon in the interior. At the top of the town I came across Camino shells and arrows heading in a northerly direction……quite a surprise as I had no clue that this area was part of a Camino trail. Despite asking several people, nobody had a clue what Camino this was or what the markers were all about. The guy on the door at the very posh looking Posada which is part of the castle tried to convince me that it was the ‘yellow route’ because the arrows were yellow ! Can anybody shed some light on this? Jungleboy? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3747.jpeg
    IMG_3747.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 305
  • IMG_3748.jpeg
    IMG_3748.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3746.jpeg
    IMG_3746.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Was in the town of Estremoz, northeast of Evora today in Portugal. This region is east/south east of Lisbon in the interior. At the top of the town I came across Camino shells and arrows heading in a northerly direction……quite a surprise as I had no clue that this area was part of a Camino trail. Despite asking several people, nobody had a clue what Camino this was or what the markers were all about. The guy on the door at the very posh looking Posada which is part of the castle tried to convince me that it was the ‘yellow route’ because the arrows were yellow ! Can anybody shed some light on this? Jungleboy? Thanks.
It’s the Camino Nascente. There is a fascinating connection with Santiago Cathedral. The marble for the “Tree of Jesse” in the P de Gloria was identified conclusively in 2019 as originating from the spectacular marble quarries at Estremoz. Google them.

Thanks everyone……I suspected that this knowledge would be out there on the forum. Just shows the power of this platform! Off back to Estremoz this morning to see the large Saturday morning outdoor market…..and look for a few more arrows!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you and yes, the first eight episodes of season 2! :)
Ooh good……I’ll be all over those when I return to Canada….,thanks a million ! How was the balance of the signage and way markers on the trail? We followed the arrows through Estremoz for fun and then they seemed to disappear on the edge of town.

How was the balance of the signage and way markers on the trail? We followed the arrows through Estremoz for fun and then they seemed to disappear on the edge of town.
Way marking is good in general. It's a new camino (2019) and a top-down one (i.e. created by the government), which both lend themselves to good signage. The local authorities made a big effort to determine what the path would be (e.g. by seeking permission from landowners to go through their lands rather than on roads where possible) and then signpost it. These were the things they felt were important to get the camino started and that they were able to provide (whereas more bottom-up initiatives, e.g. the Geira, prioritised making GPS tracks available more so than physical signage, given their limitations as passionate volunteer types but without a government budget).

In the south of Portugal, the locals don't walk the Camino to Santiago and they don't believe people are willing to walk to Santiago. Most of the time even the tourist office don't know much about the Camino and you don't know how long for me to negotiate with the tourist office, just to convince them that they have the stamp for pilgrims... I don't recommend people to walk from the south of Portugal unless they are well trained to walk the Camino as it's kind of a tough Camino compared to other popular routes that starts from Lisbon and Porto.

Hope you enjoy visiting Portugal and the Camino is always waiting for everyone who needs it !

Maria

If you walk religiously from Tavira and checkout the signage on the churches / ruins / cruzeiros, you will notice the Templars of the Order of Santiago was along the road building hospital for pilgrims. The government knows the history and that's why they rebuild the Camino but for tourism gains and for the local economy. There's no profit to build albergues down in the south of Portugal for pilgrims because people walking are mostly tourists and hikers and they can afford to pay more to sleep in hostels and residential. Of course I also saw people walking with very little budget and sleep in a tent but they have to be careful because it is illegal to do that in Portugal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It’s the Camino Nascente. There is a fascinating connection with Santiago Cathedral. The marble for the “Tree of Jesse” in the P de Gloria was identified conclusively in 2019 as originating from the spectacular marble quarries at Estremoz. Google them.
Thanks for the clarification. After we walked the Portugues last year, we rent a car in Lisbon to tour central Portugal for a week. We fell in love with Estremoz, totally unexpected. It was isolated small hilltown evocative of some of the best in Tuscany, with a heart pounding uphill walk to the top where the views were priceless. We saw the pilgrim signs there and in another town nearby. We asked a local who looked at us blindly, looked at the sign and shook his head.

I’m on a roll here……I discovered yet another previously unheard of Camino (to me) today hiking in the Sierra Natural Park near to Aracena in SW Spain. Can anyone share any light on this one ?

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3779.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It’s the Camino del Sur, which goes from Huelva to Zafra, where it joins the Vdlp. If you’ve never read one of @alansykes’ live camino reports, read this one and you’ll probably be hooked.
Muchas Gracias…….fascinating !

It’s the Camino del Sur, which goes from Huelva to Zafra, where it joins the Vdlp. If you’ve never read one of @alansykes’ live camino reports, read this one and you’ll probably be hooked.
This is probably a pain but can I trouble you for insight into one final new discovery tonight in Cadiz……yet another Camino that I’ve never heard of. Would have never thought of running across the trail close to the ocean in Cadiz!!

IMG_3796.jpeg

IMG_3795.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That’s an easy one. :) The Via Augusta, 7 days from Cádiz to Sevilla.

See the Association‘s webpage.

You just have to start walking!
Hello from Cadiz…..thank you so much for the speedy and interesting response. Needless to say I’ll be taking a closer look at all these. Goodness me……who’d have thought !!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back