• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eunate closed now. See here opening.

LTfit

Veteran Member
A few days late but this announcement is for those hoping to visit the amazing Santa María de Eunate templar Chapel (deviate 2 km from the Camino 1.8 km before Obanos),

I passed by on Wednesday and saw this following sign so it is only open from November 1-4 and December 6-9.

DSC_1903.JPG

I still think that the extra 3 km (marked route iup to Obanos) are worth it as it is beautiful.

DSC_1907.JPG

And here a painter hoping to finish before the projected rains starts this weekend.

DSC_1906.JPG

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As LTfit notes the small church of Santa Maria de Eunate is, indeed, extraordinary. Coming along the path and catching the first glimpse of this wonderful spot is always a thrill. The circular plan of this thousand year old structure may be based on the plan of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. All is surrounded by an octagonal cloister. Built by unknown craftsmen and set within a natural bowl the ocher sandstone walls blend into the almost sculpted nearby fields planted with corn and fennel. Here one senses the peace of eternity .

When last I visited in October 2011 during the evening four other pilgrims and I shared warm hospitality in the then open adjacent albergue. (It could only accommodate seven ) Two gracious hospitaleros from Strasbourg served an outstanding supper. Afterwards we held a simple candlelit prayer service in the mystic church giving thanks for our Caminos, our lives and our loves. Later as we each fell asleep on floor mattresses in the attic dorm we pilgrims remarked on our great luck and pleasure in sharing such precious moments. ...I thought how wonderful it had been to revisit this beloved place once again.... May peace reign here another thousand years.

MM

Unfortunately the albergue is no more - I am happy you got to stay there, @mspath !
But even without being able to enter the church, this is a very special place.
So closed or not, certainly it is worth the not very long detour. And if you stay nearby you can leave your pack at the albergue and walk there and back unencumbered. Last year I stayed at Albergue Le Jardin in Muruzabal, and it was a lovely walk to Eunate and back. And the Albergue was a lovely family-run place.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back