• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eunate closed now. See here opening.

LTfit

Veteran Member
A few days late but this announcement is for those hoping to visit the amazing Santa María de Eunate templar Chapel (deviate 2 km from the Camino 1.8 km before Obanos),

I passed by on Wednesday and saw this following sign so it is only open from November 1-4 and December 6-9.

DSC_1903.JPG

I still think that the extra 3 km (marked route iup to Obanos) are worth it as it is beautiful.

DSC_1907.JPG

And here a painter hoping to finish before the projected rains starts this weekend.

DSC_1906.JPG

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As LTfit notes the small church of Santa Maria de Eunate is, indeed, extraordinary. Coming along the path and catching the first glimpse of this wonderful spot is always a thrill. The circular plan of this thousand year old structure may be based on the plan of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. All is surrounded by an octagonal cloister. Built by unknown craftsmen and set within a natural bowl the ocher sandstone walls blend into the almost sculpted nearby fields planted with corn and fennel. Here one senses the peace of eternity .

When last I visited in October 2011 during the evening four other pilgrims and I shared warm hospitality in the then open adjacent albergue. (It could only accommodate seven ) Two gracious hospitaleros from Strasbourg served an outstanding supper. Afterwards we held a simple candlelit prayer service in the mystic church giving thanks for our Caminos, our lives and our loves. Later as we each fell asleep on floor mattresses in the attic dorm we pilgrims remarked on our great luck and pleasure in sharing such precious moments. ...I thought how wonderful it had been to revisit this beloved place once again.... May peace reign here another thousand years.

MM

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Unfortunately the albergue is no more - I am happy you got to stay there, @mspath !
But even without being able to enter the church, this is a very special place.
So closed or not, certainly it is worth the not very long detour. And if you stay nearby you can leave your pack at the albergue and walk there and back unencumbered. Last year I stayed at Albergue Le Jardin in Muruzabal, and it was a lovely walk to Eunate and back. And the Albergue was a lovely family-run place.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back