• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Everything is going wrong- help needed

MelaCro

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2016
I am so upset:( I am travelling tomorrow and everything is going wrong

Early today I received message that my flight from Paris to Biarritz is cancelled
After several hours and calls, Air France gave me alternative flight but that means that I will arrive at 22.00. My hotel in SJPDP is not willing to let me in after 23.00, so now I will land in Biarritz and does not have place to stay or sleep.
All hotels available in Biarrtiz are to expensive (round 100€)...

What to do now?

Any suggestion will be useful...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry to learn of your problem with Air France on strike. You might consider taking the bus from the airport to Bayonne. The correct bus should be marked Gare Bayonne, ie Bayonne rr station. Spend the night in Bayonne near the station and continue next morning on the local TER line 62 train to SJPdP.
One pleasant small hotel/resto in Bayonne is the Monte Carlo which is opposite the rr station.
Here is their web
http://hotel-montecarlo.allcommerces.com/

Good luck, Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Last edited:
I am so upset:( I am traveling tommorow and everything is going wrong

Early today I recived message that my flight from Paris to Biarritz is canceled
After several hours and calls, Air France gave me alternative flight but that means that I will arrive at 22.00. My hotel in SJPDP is not willing to let me in after 23.00, so now I will land in Biarritz and does not have place to stay or sleap.

What to do now?

Anny suggestion will be useful...

MelaCro:

I would take a train. There are several daily to Biarritz and Bayonne. About a 5 hour train ride for the Montparnesse station.

When do you arrive CDG?

Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would just say that everything seems very right, except for one minor glitch. You are about to embark on the trek of a lifetime that very few in this world are able to take. I would suggest taking a breath, thinking of the many extraordinary things that are about to positively impact your life, and take a train or bus to your destination.
This is one of many instances that will require your flexibility and patience on the Camino.
I wish you the very best Camino experience!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Depends on time and days. Checked this week and the price was from 79euros in the early morning to 119/144 in the afternoon.

The two last trains are 6.06 pm and 9.10 pm, ticket c 10 euro

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would just say that everything seems very right, except for one minor glitch. You are about to embark on the trek of a lifetime that very few in this world are able to take. I would suggest taking a breath, thinking of the many extraordinary things that are about to positively impact your life, and take a train or bus to your destination.
This is one of many instances that will require your flexibility and patience on the Camino.
I wish you the very best Camino experience!

Great advice. This is all part of your Camino experience. Go with the flow. The best laid plans of mice & men often go astray. You'll get there. Bien Camino!

Thank you all

I am dreaming about Camino for almost 20 years, and now it seems to me that everything is against me...almost like it is not meant for me to go...

A day less for walking is quite much for me because I have just 28 days... and also, all this will cost an extra money

all in all I still do not have plan for tomorrow after late arrival in Biarritz...train connection from Pariz to SJPDP is to early (before my arrival time..)

Thank you all

I am dreaming about Camino for almost 20 years, and now it seems to me that everything is against me...almost like it is not meant for me to go...

A day less for walking is quite much for me because I have just 28 days... and also, all this will cost an extra money

all in all I still do not have plan for tomorrow after late arrival in Biarritz...train connection from Pariz to SJPDP is to early (before my arrival time..)

Hi, MelaCro, I know this can be a terribly hard pre-Camino experience, but my advice would be to banish the thought that it is intended to convey the message that "it is not meant for me to go." A twenty year old dream can give you a lot more strength than what is needed to get over this hurdle, big as it seems right now. I can't give you travel advice, but I wanted to encourage you to keep going, just wait till you start walking and all of this will melt away into insignificance. You may have to take a bus for a part of it or walk really long stages or figure out some other workaround, but leave that for later. Now your job is to get to the starting block and begin to walk with gratitude that your dream is finally coming true. You will find plenty of cheerleaders here on the forum, and plenty of support on the camino itself. Keep in touch and keep reminding yourself that this is not the end of the world, you will be fine! Buen camino, Laurie

Remember that this is all just part of the adventure!

It will all work out one way or another.....you will get to St. Jean and you will start walking
If your time gets short because of this you can just adjust by skipping ahead a stage or two to get back on schedule. No harm done. No rules!
Accept that it may be needed and this won't be so stressful.

Try to adjust your mind to enjoying the challenges to get to your starting point....great stories to tell when you get home.

Lots of support here. Let us know how it turns out.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you all, you are great Community

Hope I will be able to talk about this with smile soon...

Right now it is very stressful...I am flying in several hours and still do not know where will end up after arrival in Biarritz

But, I assume that it is also a great lesson for me - I am a bit of control freak and now it seems to me that I do not have control at all...

It should be a nice day with my family but now I spent most of the day solving and rearranging my trip

As the Aussies would say: "No worries, you'll be right, mate!" and as the Spanish would say: "Sin dolor, no hay gloria!"
Worst case, you're walking the streets of Biarritz for the night and getting the first train to SJPDP in the morning. You could probably still make it to Roncesvalles although if it were me I would enjoy at least lunch in SJPDP and then maybe go up to Orisson if there was a bed - but I'm a bit of a slacker.

Thank you all

I feel your frustration. My very first trip to Europe as a teen was delayed almost a week because of a massive snow storm in NY. The delay cost us 5 days of a planned 15 day trip. I remember being soooo bummed about that. Cursing the snow as we waited for it to melt. But you know what? Those 10 days turned out to be the 10 best days of my life. I hope I or others didn't sound too la-di-da about just "going with the flow" and all that. It does suck about your delay and how it will possibly effect your 28 day tight schedule. Short of canceling your trip and doing it next year, the best thing to do, is to just begin your journey. Simple advice, but so true. Once you start moving, your adventure truly begins, and all this worry & frustration will fade away. Trust me. Part of the whole experience of walking - some would say the very essence - is to let go of any preconceived notions of how its suppose to go. Yes, you may have to push harder a few days to reach your goal within your timeframe...but plans change. So change with them. Just Get started, and who knows what will happen. My bet is that it will be a grand adventure that you will never forget. Bien Camino! -Regan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I manage to find accommodation in Biarritz but still do not know if I will be able to check in so late (round midnight)...still waiting for response

....I am waiting for Camino miracle and hopping everything will be fine

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

After several hours and calls, Air France gave me alternative flight but that means that I will arrive at 22.00. My hotel in SJPDP is not willing to let me in after 23.00, so now I will land in Biarritz and does not have place to stay or sleap.

What to do now?

MelaCro, from Biarritz airport take a taxi to Bayonne, there are cheaper hotels there, including the Monte Carlo mentioned by Mspath above. Call them to book while you're waiting for your plane in Paris. Then take the first train from Bayonne to St Jean in the morning. If you stay at the Monte Carlo you'll be close to the station, or if at another hotel a short taxi ride or walk.

You will make it MelaCro. Buen Camino!

I manage to find accommodation in Biarritz but still do not know if I will be able to check in so late (round midnight)...still waiting for response

Your reply came through while i was typing! Great news, then just taxi to Bayonne station in the morning. Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am sorry that I did not see this before now. I do hope that somehow you have found your way toward StJdPdP. As I will begin my Pilgrimage in Canada, take a train from a local town to Montreal before taking a plane, most of my route will not match your needs. But I will land in Ireland, stay a week, then move on to England where I will take trains to London, then Paris.

An overnight train to Bayonne and then to StJdPdP solves the problems of getting there and somewhere to sleep.

Both Cities, I plan to stay a couple of days before taking a train to SJPdP. For me, it is not about getting it done in a specific amount of time. One step at a time. Learn more about places I have only dreamed of and then move on to the next place. The Camino really does not have a beginning or an end, unless we decide to create them.

Deep breaths first, especially when turmoil begins.

Peace to you on your Camino.

Buen Camino

Melacro- STOP IT!!! Look, listen,, you utterly in your head constructed exactly how it would be and now there is a variation to your self invented plans you are distraught? STOP IT! So what if you sleep your first night in an utterly safe aircraft terminal?
Let go!!! All is well, put down all your plans and schedules like a heavy suitcase and walk away onto your camino. And, for Gods sake and your sake, let go of this infernal planning and just do your Camino as it comes.

(remark edited)

Buen camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Melacro- STOP IT!!! Look, listen,, you utterly in your head constructed exactly how it would be and now there is a variation to your self invented plans you are distraught? STOP IT! So what if you sleep your first night in an utterly safe aircraft terminal?
Let go!!! All is well, put down all your plans and schedules like a heavy suitcase and walk away onto your camino. And, for Gods sake and your sake, let go of this infernal planning and just do your Camino as it comes.

Though, why a person would book a 35 day Camino into 25 days I have no idea whatsoever.

Buen camino!
Demand and ridicule...the response from David...not the type of response one looks for when dealing with a road block.
I like you Melacro have planed a 27-29 day Camino starting late Aug. I will take it as it comes and deal with it no matter how much time others may think ones need to accomplish ones Camino.
My hope is for you to get threw it with no more obstruction.
Good luck.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am waiting for Camino miracle
Of course there will be a camino miracle! It just might not take the form you expect. I suppose your job is to be open to whatever comes along!
You've got me wishing I was in your shoes and starting out again tomorrow!
¡Buen Camino! Have a great adventure!

I'm sure it will all work out. When you get time could you give us an update. I'm interested to know how you got on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
But, I assume that it is also a great lesson for me - I am a bit of control freak and now it seems to me that I do not have control at all...
You got it!

This is not a disaster needing a miracle. It is part of your adventure. “An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” (G.K. Chesterton)

Be open... In 2013, I went with an open mind. I wasn't sure whether I could walk long distances with a problem foot. After experiencing pain on the first day, then no more for the rest of the journey to Burgos! Although I'd been wanting to go for about 5 years, I really had done little research. I took too much gear because I thought I may need to camp out because of my foot. I ended up sending lots back in Pamplona and more in Logrono. The Camino provided in many different ways!!! I met a fellow pilgrim at the Bayonne railway station who had walked the previous year. His help and advice was invaluable. Local people were warm and very generous. A magical experience! I'm planning to go back and walk in October. Buen Camino! You will have a great adventure!

I'm sure it will all work out. When you get time could you give us an update. I'm interested to know how you got on.
Yes I also would like to here all about your journey!
Please keep s up to date

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Demand and ridicule...the response from David...not the type of response one looks for when dealing with a road block.
I like you Melacro have planed a 27-29 day Camino starting late Aug. I will take it as it comes and deal with it no matter how much time others may think ones need to accomplish ones Camino.
My hope is for you to get threw it with no more obstruction.
Good luck.
@Rupe
I don't really think that David wants or needs my defence, but I cannot resist trying anyway. David's involvement with the camino is as a caregiver. The last that I heard, he was in the Astorga area doing first aid and pastoral care on the camino. If I were asking for help and he told me, forcefully, to snap out of it, I would consider whether this might be exactly the advice that I needed at that moment, provided in a way that I might hear it.

I manage to find accommodation in Biarritz but still do not know if I will be able to check in so late (round midnight)...still waiting for response.
Good for you! Try to notify your hotel about your late arrival.
If you find the door closed (as it happens by night with many local hotels in France) don't be alarmed. There will be a ringbell, and somebody will appear after a few moments. I have done that a couple of times.

Dear @MelaCro
as @Robo says Welcome to the Camino! or that often quoted phrase Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

I think you already have your first Camino miracle with the insight:
and it's not about making us smile but yourself. It's your Camino! and before anyone jumps in I mean that it is your experience, not anyone else's and not your expectations or fears. Just. The. Camino.

Breathe! Relax! This is what @David is trying to tell you (thrice over!). I know it's easy to say this as a spectator but my Camino plans last year went out the window on Day 1 of 44 and it was an amazing experience.

On my travels some of my most memorable journeys have come out of what many would consider disasters.

You are on your Way now, whatever form that is taking, embrace the experience so that you don't regret it later.

Perhaps the greatest of the Camino miracles is that other much used phrase: if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.

Go Well!

Buen Buen Camino!

Thank you all, you are great Community

Hope I will be able to talk about this with smile soon...

Right now it is very stressful...I am flying in several hours and still do not know where will end up after arrival in Biarritz

It should be a nice day with my family but now I spent most of the day solving and rearranging my trip
Great inner work already! For us people who like to be super organised it is a great lesson in letting go! And you have started. !!!! Bien Camino

Surprised your hotel in SJPDP can not help you out. Possibly leave key somewhere?
Call someone when you arrive in SJPDP?

Bayonne: I stayed in the Hotel Cote Basque 2-star hotel. Not a bad place to stay in Bayonne.
Clean. Good staff.
Stayed there on two occasions.

Most walkers do not take the time to explore Bayonne’s historical town. If possible, take time to see Bayonne.

Directly across the street from the train station. Look out front door of rr station and you will see Hotel Cote Basque.
2 rue Maubec, 64100 Bayonne, France

Good location to eat breakfast there. Walk across the street and catch bus, or train if running, to SJDP.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/cot...p1t1:neg;ws=&gclid=CJOY4bfPnM4CFQFpfgodvIAGAA

Last edited by a moderator:
At 11.05 AM

Do you know how much cost the train?

MelaCro:

Sorry so late in responding. there is a 12:25 train fro Montparnesse to Bayonne 112 euros. You arrive at 17:30, plenty of time to catch train to SJPdP.

Do not worry all will go well. If you get a day late start, make sure you do not rush. Rushing leads to injury. Start slowly and ease your body into walking shape. The Meseta offers lots of opportunities for longer days.

Ultreya,
Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Everything will be fine! Saint James and all the angels on the Camino will look after you :) And Camino pilgrims look after each other! Don´t worry! Buen Camino!

What to do now?

Hi, MelaCro,

I started walking my Via de Bayona this May and first night I stayed in a private room (part of the flat where the owner and her son live) in Bayonne for 20€. It is called Eloixa Ospital (Eloixa is Basque for Heloise), Rue du Luc 13 behind the cathedral and monastery in historical center of Bayonne and you can also contact Eloixa on +33/689-334-830, she speaks English, or eloixa@hotmail.com

Hope that helps. Wish you nice and stressless Camino :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Look into the mirror and the one you'll see solves your problems and when you look better in the mirror at the background you'll see all the advises of the forummembers who wish you an unforgetable camino.
Be a winner..winners have a plan ...do not go for excuses. Yes..but..:confused: ..losers only have excuses.

Having a problem? Congrats .so you have a challenge :)

Buen camino

All this wonderful advice but no one has mentioned that the Fetes de Bayonne is this weekend. Thousands and thousand of tourists in Biarritz and Bayonne, maybe many of them will have cleared out by Sunday night. There is a hostel near the Biarritz Gare near the bus line to the Bayonne Gare.

Hi, MelaCro, as one who rode a bike on the camino last year I was (at the start) it bit like you. But for next year I will (I hope) fly into Paris and really after the arrival - book first night in the French capital - let the Camino provide. I intend to travel to St Jean via the train from Paris - after 25-27 hours from Australia I don't want to see another plane unless its the one taking back home. French high speed trains are almost as fast as the plane - if you time it "point to point".
Yes my timetable is a lot more flexible than yours so a day or 2 extra is not a problem. Once you start walking you will see how many kilometres you can safely/comfortably manage. Some days you will do only 15km others 25/30 km. As Mspath advised if necessary take a bus (Belorado to Burgos is one section that comes to mind); on leaving Leon again hop a bus for the first 10-15km - it will get you out of the city where the industrial areas are not that interesting to walk through.
Hopefully when you arrive in Paris you will feel a whole lot more relaxed. Have a coffee/wine/beer before jumping into the travel maelstrom. Buen Camino!!

My first Camino was the Ingles. I was flying from Heathrow to A Coruna and then going onward to Ferrol. At Heathrow I was 3rd in line when they said the flight was overbooked and now full. As you can imagine those in front of me (I was the last in line) were a little voluble. I heard the first person being told that we were assured of a place on the next flight the following afternoon. So while he and then the next person was having their rants I checked on the internet that Ryanair were flying early morning to Santiago and booked a flight. When my turn came the poor berated woman was ready for round three. Her jaw almost dropped when I smiled and calmly said " You will send a refund then?". With a touch of "Que sera, sera" I travelled into central London and was walking past Westminster Abbey to notice evensong started in 5 minutes. So I attended as I had the whole evening to while away. The normal boys choir were on holiday (end of August) and the visiting choir was from the church across the road from where my aunt lived on the south coast! Afterwards I asked one of the priests for a blessing for my camino. Again fate had it's hand. He had walked part of the way the previous year with a BBC film crew! So James (yes here we go again with the co-incidences) took me into the inner sanctum of King Edward's chapel for it. A wonderful start to a camino life! So the next morning I flew to Santiago, bussed to Ferrol and started walking the following day just as I had planned. :)

The Feria is the 4 day long Fetes de Bayonne. Music, drink, food, parades, bull runs and bull fights, 100's of thousand crazy Basque people in the street 24/7. (www.fetes.bayonne.fr)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Feria is the 4 day long Fetes de Bayonne. Music, drink, food, parades, bull runs and bull fights, 100's of thousand crazy Basque people in the street 24/7. (www.fetes.bayonne.fr)
Good - whilst it might be fun for the locals - I think (like Pamplona) its something for the pilgrims to avoid (until pilgrimage completed that is!!)

Dear all,

Thank for all the beautiful posts!
I managed! I am in SJPdP, starting tomorow!
Yesterday was quite an adventure..after very late arrival I found my self driving to Biarritz city with 30 drunk young people singing and jumping all over the bus

But you know what, Biarritz is beautiful costal city! When I planned my Camino, did not bother to check about, becase I just want to sit on the bus/train to SJPD, so, imagine my surprise
Just 100 m from my hotel there was some breath taking scenary
All in all, I am ready to start tommorow enriched by one beutiful place

And, if you have an extra time, go an visit Biarritz... it is realy worth visit

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
See there, you did it. Just like life, the Camino presents challenges (fraught with opportunity for victory) for those who press on.

Many more challenges to come. Don't stop walking.

Dear all,

Thank for all the beautiful posts!
I managed! I am in SJPdP, starting tomorow!
Yesterday was quite an adventure..after very late arrival I found my self driving to Biarritz city with 30 drunk young people singing and jumping all over the bus

But you know what, Biarritz is beautiful costal city! When I planned my Camino, did not bother to check about, becase I just want to sit on the bus/train to SJPD, so, imagine my surprise
Just 100 m from my hotel there was some breath taking scenary
All in all, I am ready to start tommorow enriched by one beutiful place

And, if you have an extra time, go an visit Biarritz... it is realy worth visit

We, who live in Biarritz, would like to keep our little secret from the rest of the world:D.
BTW there were several 100,000 more of those drunks in Bayonne yesterday, the Feria is a crazy weekend.

I feel your frustration. My very first trip to Europe as a teen was delayed almost a week because of a massive snow storm in NY. The delay cost us 5 days of a planned 15 day trip. I remember being soooo bummed about that. Cursing the snow as we waited for it to melt. But you know what? Those 10 days turned out to be the 10 best days of my life. I hope I or others didn't sound too la-di-da about just "going with the flow" and all that. It does suck about your delay and how it will possibly effect your 28 day tight schedule. Short of canceling your trip and doing it next year, the best thing to do, is to just begin your journey. Simple advice, but so true. Once you start moving, your adventure truly begins, and all this worry & frustration will fade away. Trust me. Part of the whole experience of walking - some would say the very essence - is to let go of any preconceived notions of how its suppose to go. Yes, you may have to push harder a few days to reach your goal within your timeframe...but plans change. So change with them. Just Get started, and who knows what will happen. My bet is that it will be a grand adventure that you will never forget. Bien Camino! -Regan
Inspiring words. Just wondering if you have a some kind of online journal or blog about your other trails close and afar? Care to share? I'm sure I am not the only one here who is very interested not just in the Camino per se, but also in the global community of trekkers and the common underpinnings they (arguably, usually) have.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

What to do now?

Any suggestion will be useful...

You may be entitled to compensation from Air France depending on the circumstances of the cancellation. Please see the attached link http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...or_overbooked_and_delayed_flights.html#lad67b

Inspiring words. Just wondering if you have a some kind of online journal or blog about your other trails close and afar? Care to share? I'm sure I am not the only one here who is very interested not just in the Camino per se, but also in the global community of trekkers and the common underpinnings they (arguably, usually) have.

Thanks man. I do indeed intend to launch a travel blog shortly. I've been grounded for the last couple of years, and the open road is calling!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back