• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Excited to start..

KayVee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Hello All,

First of all, I'm glad I found this wonderful forum! My tickets are booked and I'm starting my first Camino on Aug 14 from StJPdP. My husband is going to walk with me to Pamplona and then I will be on my own. Excited, nervous etc.

Is anyone else starting around that time? My biggest fear is that I have absolutely no sense of direction and will get lost on my own. I also happen to be vegetarian - do the food shops typically carry lentils/veggies I can survive on? (I'm assuming the Pilgrims menu is not always a reliable option for me).

Another question: We need to mail a box of stuff to Malaga before we start walking (the Camino is part of a longer trip). Can we do that at StJPdP, or should we look to mail it before we leave the US?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hope you enjoy your Camino. Just a warning - it is very addictive!

I wouldn't worry about getting lost. The route is VERY well signposted. There are also a lot of people walking. If you are in doubt wait a minute or two and another pilgrim will probably pass by to ask or follow. Local people are very likely to stop you if you do take a wrong turn and point you back to the route.

Beans and lentils are very popular in Spain and shops will usually have a good selection in cans or jars along with fruit and vegetables. Usually quite cheap and tasty. You should not starve!

Welcome to the forum @KayVee

A few hundred people will be with you, each day, on the road and the yellow arrows are easy to follow, you will need to make a real effort to lose the way ;-)

Food shops have adapted to the needs of vegetarians (Spanish and non-Spaniards alike) so no problems here, but menus might be occasionally tricky as many Spaniards don't count panceta (bacon) or tuna as 'meat' ;-) Fruit and vegetables are plenty - and there is always chocolate ;-)

As for your last question, please contact @ivar for this as he can give you the best advice. Mailing from the US would be VERY expensive!

Buen Camino and enjoy every step (even those that hurt), SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You have to work hard at getting lost. Although, I managed once on way to Valcarlos while simultaneously saying, "I never get lost".
Have the time of your life.
Buen camino.

I'm terrible at navigating, but I never got lost on the Camino Frances. Sometimes the arrows point in opposite directions when there is an alternative route, but I coukd check on the map or check with other pilgrims.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mailing your parcel will be much cheaper from SJPP than from the US. Mind you, if you can ship it by sea, and give it two months or so to get to Malagal then you will probably pay about the same.

Thank you all very much! I will be learning the Spanish phrases for 'I'm lost' and 'Which way to Santiago' before I start :)

Thank you all very much! I will be learning the Spanish phrases for 'I'm lost' and 'Which way to Santiago' before I start :)
Don't worry, you'll be pointed in the right direction even before you realise ypu might be lost. With our tech flammable and non matching clothes, the bags under our eyes, and the one on our back, it os easy to guess we are heading to Santiago. :rolleyes:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Mailing your parcel will be much cheaper from SJPP than from the US. Mind you, if you can ship it by sea, and give it two months or so to get to Malagal then you will probably pay about the same.

This is correct. However, it is cheaper still if you can wait and mail your items from Spain. Mail services from and to an address in Spain are much less than from France to Spain.

Consider having your bag / box sent ahead by mochila service (NOT FROM THE FRENCH POST OFFICE) from SjPdP to the first sizable place in Spain. This is usually Pamplona, if you are on on the Frances.

However, it is still MUCH cheaper mailing from France into Spain than mailing from the US.

I hope this helps.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back