• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Extra cushioning or versatility for El Camino del Norte?

Elixir or Thundercross?

• Elixir

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thundercross

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lucus

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2024
Hey there guys,

I have recently decided to do the El Camino del Norte next year, somewhere in May-June-July, so that I can also enjoy the sea.
This would be my first Camino ever, so am I very excited for it.

I started looking for boots, and narrowed it down to these 2 based on how well they fit my feet:

Do you think the extra cushioning from the hiking boots (Elixir) will be of great needed help or should I go with the more versatile trail shoes (Thundercross)?

Thank you :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Personally, I would stay away from Gore-tex altogether. In the summer months there's a good chance that your feet will overheat in waterproof shoes which can lead to sweaty feet and blisters.

Wear the shoes that are most comfortable for you. For me, hiking sandals were perfect for the Norte and Primitivo this year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why Gortex? The heat is likely to be more of an issue than water. Your feet are likely to sweat and get your socks wet from the inside.
For the first time in 5 years I got a blister thanks to taking advice from the forum to switch to non-goretex for my summer camino - it rained and my feet got wet, and I got blisters. I will be sticking to goretex - and taking my shoes off to let my feet air out.

There is no perfect recommendation for everyone- either of the shoes you list could work- but which fits better for you? I switched to trail runners years ago on the camino as I found them better suit to most trails than my heaver hiking shoes/boots. But others will tell you they love their boots.

@Lucus, whilst I personally love a little extra cushioning, we're all different. Lightweight is also good!
The Norte is not a technical hike, in fact there is a moderate amount of Road walking. You certainly don't need to worry about extra grip. Comfort is King -choose the most comfortable

Re: gortex, whilst I wear gortex boots in winter, I found the hard way that my feet simply sweat far too much in summer in gortex shoes. I switched to lightweight trail runners and swapped out the insole for a more comfortable one. Like @roving_rufus, I air my feet frequently (every stop shoes and socks off) and in fact swap my socks out around halfway.

There are numerous foot care regimes, find the one that works for you whilst doing your training and stick to it - don't swap out part way along the camino unless you really find it's not working for you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey there guys,

I have recently decided to do the El Camino del Norte next year, somewhere in May-June-July, so that I can also enjoy the sea.

I started looking for boots, and narrowed it down to these 2 based on how well they fit my feet:

Do you think the extra cushioning from the hiking boots (Elixir) will be of great needed help or should I go with the more versatile trail shoes (Thundercross)?

I don't like extra cushioning on hiking trails. I do want a plate, but you (I) need to feel the trail. However on part of the Norte there is a lot of pavement. sp Trail runners wold be better then. I hiked over 2 years. In 2022 from Irun to Llanes. There I used a Topo trail runner. This year in October, I mostly wore my Topo hiking boots because of the rain. They were much better in the rain.

I thought long and hard and decided to bring both in 2022. I wore my trail runners in the evening and on the plane. I'm sure I would have worn them more if it hadn't been raining so much. My boots stayed dry enough. I think it's more important to have great wool socks in the rain.

I can feel your excitement and anticipation as you prepare for your first Camino. Having just completed del Norte a few weeks ago, walking the entire way through weather extremes from perfectly lovely days to extremely hot temps and into endless days of rain, I would encourage you to not worry about getting it just right. I overthought things (and this was my second Camino so should’ve known better) and took a pair of Keen Targhee III for tough hiking and rain, AND Danner hiker/trainers for the other days. Five days in, I mailed away the heavy Keens and walked the rest of the way in the light and breathable Danners. With regard to rain, only hip waders would’ve kept my feet dry given the many deeply flooded paths and the rain pouring into my socks.
As others have suggested, good socks help prevent blisters as does airing the feet during refreshment stops. Also, del Norte has quite a bit of paved roadway as well as pastureland and rocky/gravel paths but nothing requiring a serious hiking boot.
I haven’t decided which Camino will be my next, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to adhere to the “less is more” adage, ditching the shoes and walking it in sandals. 🩴🩴 Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Everybody has different feet and ideas. Who knows what is right for me maybe a big no no for you. In case you are dying to know haha, I wear Brooks Cascadias for all 8 of my caminos, just finished the last one and am over 8,000 kilometers. This last camino I walked the last 3 weeks with my feet completely drenched almost all day in late October and November on the Portugese Coastal. It rained and rained hard every day. Haven't had a blister since my second camino. Walked the Norte in October and November and was blister free. No gor-tex no problem. But like I said this formula could be a disaster for another person. The camino awaits. Make your. best guess and go for it.

Hey there guys,

We just got back from walking the Del Norte from Irun to SdC. I had cortex hiking boots and teva mountaineers (sandals). You will likely need an extra pair of shoes on your camino. The vortex hikers were great on rainy days and on other days with a break every 2 hours to take my boots and socks off to air out my feet and socks and shoes.( Think coffee break, lunch break, beer break closer to destination). I used my tevas on dry days that included a lot of tarmac and also in the evening for hanging around. My husband used his running shoes as his extra shoe. The variation saved our feet. Either way make sure they are both broken in before you leave! Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.