• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fall Camino

JoEllen

Time of past OR future Camino
I recently completed my first Camino this year and walked during May and June. I'm contemplating my second Camino, and at first was going to plan for the same timeframe in a couple years. However, I've been looking at the weather over various locations on the Camino this month, and the weather looks quite decent. Can anyone comment on whether September/October is better than May/June? I realize no one can predict the weather, but from a general sense. I thought about perhaps flying to Spain the last couple days of August and starting from Pamplona the first or second of September. I'll be interested in comments/suggestions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I expect the weather could be very similar, on average, and the biggest risk to walkers in both cases would be too much heat. Looking at some climate averages would show.

My guess is that the comparison of typical weather wouldn't help make the decision between those two periods. May comes sooner than September, if that helps.;)

I haven't walked in spring or fall so I couldn't say but I have heard that the chances of encountering bedbugs are greater in September than in May/June If that is a factor. Those who have walked in those seasons can chime in if this hearsay information is correct.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I haven't walked in spring or fall so I couldn't say but I have heard that the chances of encountering bedbugs are greater in September than in May/June If that is a factor. Those who have walked in those seasons can chime in if this hearsay information is correct.
I encountered no bedbug issues but I believe that was because I did not stay in municipal albergues. I met quite a few people who'd had problems while staying in them, so I avoided them. I will do the same on my next Camino, but thanks.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I expect the weather could be very similar, on average, and the biggest risk to walkers in both cases would be too much heat. Looking at some climate averages would show.

My guess is that the comparison of typical weather wouldn't help make the decision between those two periods. May comes sooner than September, if that helps.;)
I did look at climate websites and chances of rain are reasonably the same as May/June, as are the temps. BTW, thanks for tip about May coming earlier than September - that was especially helpful!! :)

I am currently walking the Camino Frances and the weather has been all over the place....freezing, hotter than the hinges of hell, pouring rain, bright sunny days, icy winds, cooling breezes. Bottom line, if you walk in the fall you need to bring clothing for all possible weather conditions...layers!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am currently walking the Camino Frances and the weather has been all over the place....freezing, hotter than the hinges of hell, pouring rain, bright sunny days, icy winds, cooling breezes. Bottom line, if you walk in the fall you need to bring clothing for all possible weather conditions...layers!
Honestly, that's what we had in May and June as well, so it doesn't sound a lot different and the advice was to layer then too. Buen Camino!

Thank you for that infor Panama Francis. We are heading out Thursday week and were wondering what to expect weather wise on Camino Frances. We will be prepared for everything after reading this!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back