• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fanny Pack or ???

jemitch65

Rather than love, money or fame, give me truth
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances to Finisterre to Muxia(2012)
I am walking the Camino Frances on May 23. Does anybody have any advice as to what to buy for carrying valuables? Is a fanny pack the way to go or is there something better pilgrims are using to carry their passport, cash, camera etc?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback, and here is mine:

For larger amounts of cash, credit cards, passport - I would not leave home without a Money Belt. This is the type you wear under your clothes. You can get one at a travel store or on the rick Steves website. I would NEVER EVER leave this anywhere. I take along a ziplock plastic bag and carry this INTO the shower with me.

For today's cash: A small purse or wallet. I do not keep this in a pocket because there are, unfortunately, pickpockets in the large cities. I keep it in a fanny pack that I wear in FRONT (always!) so nobody can access it except myself.

Camera and other valuables go into the fanny pack in front of me so I can see it at all times.

I would caution you to never, ever ever put your cash, credit cards, passport in your backpack.
It's fairly safe to leave your backpack in your albergue as long as you do not leave valuables in it.
Most pilgrims are trustworthy and few would steal, but there is the occasional problem, so why tempt fate?

If you have never seen a pickpocket in action, you may want to take a look at my latest blog, then watch the videos on the thieves who are roaming the large cities of Europe in the last few years.

Granted, there will be much less crime on the Camino. I know personally of 3 people who had their cash stolen by a "helpful" pilgrim while they showered. But in the larger cities, take cautions and seeing the video will make a believer of you in addition to simply educating you.

My blog link:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/

It may be well to again remind that the word "fanny" has a completly different meaning in some parts of the English speaking world. You may get some funny looks and/or giggles from some people from NZ, Oz or the UK.

New Zealand English

For the main list of New Zealand English vocabulary, see Category:New Zealand English.
[edit] Shared with Australia or other countries
fanny, slang — a crude word for female genitals, as in the UK. Although, sometimes buttocks as in the USA.
Words such as "Fanny Pack" should be avoided in New Zealand (the New Zealand term is "beltbag" or "bumbag").

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
jemitch65 said:
I am walking the Camino Frances on May 23. Does anybody have any advice as to what to buy for carrying valuables? Is a fanny pack the way to go or is there something better pilgrims are using to carry their passport, cash, camera etc?
I have a very light day pack (that folds into a little pocket when not in use). I put my passport, airline tickets etc in there, and place it in the top of my larger pack. Whenever I leave my larger pack somewhere, I lift out of the day pack and take it with me. Also useful for putting food items in when out shopping at the end of the day. Worked well for me. When walking on the Camino- rather than in a city-, my camera (in its case) easily attaches to the waist belt of my larger pack, and I can use it when I want to take a photo. It goes in my day pack when I am out and about after the walking day is over.
Mine was a Kathmandu brand- which I think is probably only available in NZ/Australia. There's a picture here, but it doesn't show how small the pocket is: http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Packs_&_Luggage/Travel/40281/Pocket_Pack_v2.html#
Margaret

i initially brought a small purse to hang around my neck for my most valuable items but it fellapart en route so i ended up with a cross body bag along these lines, which held all my daily necessities, money, notebook painkillers nuts ect, was qiote small though maybe 12*15*4 cm. Was made of fabric/nylon and quite sturdy, with a ton of small compartments

AAAADOM0ltoAAAAAAElFLw.jpg

the reason i opted against fannypacks (apart from their uncharming name and looks) was that it would have conflicted with my hipbelt on my backpack, and my backpackcomfort had first priority

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Being an Englishman, I always thought a bum-bag was worn on your bum, and a fanny bag was worn .... at the front.
I keep all my valuables in a belt bag at the front: but I also attach it via a light-weight cord to somewhere else on my clothing. I lived in Spain for eight years. The thieves can slit the bottom on the bag - they can also just cut the belt, hence the second cord.
Mind you, if they cut my belt my trousers would fall down. The good news - I'd know I'd been robbed. The bad news? Chasing the thief I'd fall over with my trousers round my ankles....
Buen camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

BlackDog said:
KiwiNomad06 said:
Mine was a Kathmandu brand- which I think is probably only available in NZ/Australia. There's a picture here, but it doesn't show how small the pocket is: http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Packs_&_Luggage/Travel/40281/Pocket_Pack_v2.html#
Margaret
You can get them elsewhere - here is the UK shop link http://www.kathmandu.co.uk/Packs_&_Luggage/Cases_&_Wallets/40281/Pocket_Pack_v2.html

I just looked into ordering one of these bags. Unfortunately neither site ships outside their region.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
wawpdx said:
BlackDog said:
KiwiNomad06 said:
Margaret
You can get them elsewhere - here is the UK shop link http://www.kathmandu.co.uk/Packs_&_Luggage/Cases_&_Wallets/40281/Pocket_Pack_v2.html

I just looked into ordering one of these bags. Unfortunately neither site ships outside their region.
Where are you?

wawpdx said:
I imagine that there must be similar bags produced in other countries by other manufacturers. Janet from Adelaide had a lovely light day bag- I think the brandname was something like Onya.
Margaret

I had my credit cards, passport, other id and plane ticket in a zip lock plastic bag that was in a little nylon purse. The purse hung from a string around my neck and I wore it under my shirt.

This little purse went everywhere with me. Into the shower, into my sleeping bag, no problem.

You will work out what is available and suitable for you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did just fine with a small fanny pack, and plan on using a similar one this time. All my valuables--cash, passport, credencial, iPhone, charger, etc. fit comfortably inside. It didn't interfere with my backpack buckle/belt at all. The fanny pack accompanied me everywhere--into shower, and into sleeping bag at night.

The first time i went overseas i took a fanny pack but i quickly became annoyed by it. To be honest, its not a great location to store valuables, right near your vital organs...

I now use a similar system to the daypack mentioned above but I use a general satchel (slung over the neck cotton bag) rather than a specific outdoor brand backpack. I find this is less 'look at the tourist' (my mouth does that enough for me, I dont need what im wearing to scream it out as well :p ).

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you feel comfortable wearing.

I agree that it all comes down to what is comfortable to you. I'd suggest that, whatever solution you decide on, you fill your pack and wear all your gear as you intend to wear it on the camino and go for a long walk to make sure it works the way you want it to. Personally I won't be doing the fanny pack thing. I'll have a small separate bag (either a day pack as described above or a small over the shoulder bag) that I'll keep on top of my main pack. After many years of traveling/living in other countries I've learned what works well for me and carrying something that so clearly screams 'here are all my valuables' like a fanny pack does isn't it. :) Plus, aesthetically they're not my style and I try to do as much as possible to blend into the local scene when not actually wearing my gear.

In the cities, for those concerned with robbery, I suggest carrying some extra cash and an extra ATM card under the sole of your shoe. It doesn't change the feel but if you get mugged and your bag taken they're very unlikely to get your shoes so you won't be completely stranded. I have also, on long trips, sewn an extra debit card into a secret pocket in my backpack. As it's my emergency only card, no one knows it exists so they wouldn't go looking for it. So, unless my whole pack were to go missing I'd always have that card as a backup too (in my experience, whole packs rarely go missing. Generally it's just the expensive bits that go for their own walk).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I find it rather humorous that people are so concerned about using money belts when traveling in Europe. Do they walk around their hometown with a moneybelt on? And a fanny pack screaming "here are my valuables", well, what does carry a purse or a wallet in your back/front pocket at home scream? (no offense intended, Vagabondette). Spain is as safe, or safer, than most other countries in the world. There are not pickpockets at every turn nor thieves in every albergue. A healthy sense of caution and an awareness of where your 'bag' is at all times will suit you just fine. The important thing is to be comfortable, not anxious nor scared.

I actually did NOT bring the extra purse out of convern for being mugged, I wore dresses and light trousers and it was an easy wat to keep what i would need, change and stuff at hand without having to rumage through my backpack everytinge to pay or to get my valuables to bring with me, this way i could just drop my backpack whenever...

i WAS mugged however, so yes (and just for the record, twasnt the purse that was stolen), spain and most og the Camino are as safe as most other countries, but not all are saints....

Regarding the fanny pack screaming valuables, everywhere I've lived (8 states & 3 countries) and traveled (20+ countries), purses are normal, every day accessories while fanny packs are worn by rich, paranoid tourists who stuff them full of iphones, cameras, ID, money, etc. and therefore stand out as targets. It's like the backpackers who wrap their packs in a pacsafe that takes about a minute to cut through - doing that is the equivalent of shining a neon flashing light on the bag that says "I have expensive stuff, come rob me". But that's just my experience.

When I travel I behave the same way I would in my home town of Chicago or my current home of San Cristobal. I pay attention to what is going on around me, don't do stupid stuff and I've never had a problem. Not to say it will never happen, but in my experience most (not all) people who have had problems are those who have been either ultra-paranoid to the point that they stand out because of it or those who are so lax that they do stupid things and put themselves in bad situations.

My favorites are the money belt wearers who pull up their shirt to get the money out of their belt. What's the point? Sure it won't be snatched that way but you just showed the mugger with the knife that you're carrying valuables and probably feel fairly safe because they're "hidden". I know more people who use money belts who have been mugged than people who don't. But again, this is just my experience after 5+ years of full-time travel.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Totally agree with vagbondette. NO fannypack. One quick slash with a sharp knife and it has gone, no matter if is attached in front of you. Like vagabondette, I have travelled to many countries - about 40 in the past 10 years and never worn a fanny pack or a money belt. I carry a days cash in a trouser/shorts pocket, and the rest is stashed away in various places, not all in one place. I always carry two credit cards, but in separate places. Places to hide money are: rolled up in a toilet roll, inside a pair of socks, in the boots/shoes you are wearing, etc. I carried $800 in cash through Iran like that, was robbed by 4 villains in Georgia who only got one of the larger denomination notes of the 4 I carried. My pocket was picked in China, but he only got 5 yuan (less than a dollar) and a packet of tissues.
In any case, I cannot see the need to go to extreme security in Spain. Just take normal care of your valuables. Don't put temptation in front of people. David

Waist bags and other security measures

I am not a great believer in waist bags for carrying valuables, nor particularly for other small items. I prefer to have valuables stored much closer to my body than that, and carry a small day pack for larger items. My approach varies a bit, but there are several layers to it:
  • split your valuables so they aren't all in one place
  • have what cash and other items that you need for each day seperate from your other valuables
  • keep everything valuable on the front of your body
  • readjust where you are carrying things in as private a place as possible
  • don't leave valuables behind when going to the bathroom, ablutions, etc
  • never discuss the details, ever

And as someone said earlier, don't advertise that you might have something valuable on you. I don't want to appear wealthy when I travel. I remove rings other than my wedding band, wear a plastic cased digital watch, clothes that don't look new and certainly don't form matching sets, etc.

All of this goes far deeper than putting everything in one waist bag and thinking that will be enough.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all for responding and giving me your thoughts and own experiences of what works best for you.

I use a bumbag (fannypack!) more for convenience, not just to keep things safe. This means that my small purse with the day´s money, my credential, camera and other things I need/use frequently are to hand instead of bulging in my pockets, swinging from straps as I walk along or need fishing for in my backpack.
Sandra :arrow:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
FrancesK said:
The first time i went overseas i took a fanny pack but i quickly became annoyed by it. To be honest, its not a great location to store valuables, right near your vital organs...

I now use a similar system to the daypack mentioned above but I use a general satchel (slung over the neck cotton bag) rather than a specific outdoor brand backpack. I find this is less 'look at the tourist' (my mouth does that enough for me, I dont need what im wearing to scream it out as well :p ).

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you feel comfortable wearing.

I do the same with a space to carry water. I worked in some of the most poverty stricken places in the world(slum-dog millionaire location is one). The whole idea it to detect someone tampering with your bag. I keep mine in front when I am in close quarters and to the side out in the open. Sure I have had people try several times. I wouldn't recommend it, but I just belted them in the head or got in their face. The police do nothing so I found and they gave the advice above. If you don't have close quarter training just make a heap of noise and draw attention to them. Usually someone will sort them out.
Do I get worried..No..what is the difference between walking in your own town...well..at home, I dont have all my eggs in one basket. Passport, cash, phone, tickets, a place to sleep without cash, identity, a quick way to stop my cards etc etc. This risk and consequences are higher when travelling.
By the way, the one I hit, slashed my butt when he thought I had a wallet in there, so he did cheese my off a little, and walking around looking like someone from a gay Mardi is not my idea of a good time :)
The Camino seems to so far away from those sorts of places, so I wouldn't stress. Even I walk with someone where possible. Urinating whilst in a cubicle is another. Small notes in a bag and larger notes out of site. Top your small notes up from your other bag.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.