• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Farmacia in Spain?

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
I am told that there are Farmacias even in the smaller towns along the Caminos. Can one buy health and beauty products such as soap, shampoo, toothpaste or are sales limited more to health and treatment items and pharmaceuticals? Will I need to stock up in the bigger cities or can I replace essentials in most small towns?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You can get it all in the farmacias.

And in the DIA markets are cheaper, and in the tiny tiendas, and in the China stores . . . Everywhere. No problem.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am told that there are Farmacias even in the smaller towns along the Caminos. Can one buy health and beauty products such as soap, shampoo, toothpaste or are sales limited more to health and treatment items and pharmaceuticals? Will I need to stock up in the bigger cities or can I replace essentials in most small towns?

They have it all. And more importantly the Spanish pharmacists are very informed and professional.

Yep, but supermarkets are cheaper

OK, Thanks. Planning to take only small amounts in bottles or containers I can easily refill or replace. My pack weight is currently at 12 pounds (5 1/2 kg) without water and I don't want to add to that with "last minute" things I did not consider (like big shampoo bottles) I can buy a bigger bottle, refill my little one and share with some other pilgrims if I can restock more often. I am less concerned about the cost than letting the weight creep up...little things do add up!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK, Thanks. Planning to take only small amounts in bottles or containers I can easily refill or replace. My pack weight is currently at 12 pounds (5 1/2 kg) without water and I don't want to add to that with "last minute" things I did not consider (like big shampoo bottles) I can buy a bigger bottle, refill my little one and share with some other pilgrims if I can restock more often. I am less concerned about the cost than letting the weight creep up...little things do add up!
Or you might just leave rest of that shampoo in an albergue if it's too much weight and nobody wants to restock. People coming days after you will be very gratefull ;)

The pharmacies in Spain tend to have shampoo, toothpaste, and soap at higher prices than the supermarkets will. Some supermarkets that you'll find throughout Spain are:
Dia
Froiz
Mercadona
Eroski
Familia
Aliprox
Claudio/ Babilonia
Covirán

If you see any of those they'll have what you need. And in bigger cities you'll find Alcampo, Carrefour, and Hiper Eroskis and in those you'll have a good chance of finding travel-size toiletries if you need to replace your small bottles.

Buen Camino! Have a great one!
Faith

I will say, too, that the pharmacies ARE great for blister care and prevention (like Compeed bandages and balms). The supermarkets won't necessarily have that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Or you might just leave rest of that shampoo in an albergue if it's too much weight and nobody wants to restock. People coming days after you will be very gratefull ;)
Yes, great idea!

The pharmacies in Spain tend to have shampoo, toothpaste, and soap at higher prices than the supermarkets will. Some supermarkets that you'll find throughout Spain are:
Dia
Froiz
Mercadona
Eroski
Familia
Aliprox
Claudio/ Babilonia
Covirán

If you see any of those they'll have what you need. And in bigger cities you'll find Alcampo, Carrefour, and Hiper Eroskis and in those you'll have a good chance of finding travel-size toiletries if you need to replace your small bottles.

I will keep an eye out for these. I am teaching myself some Spanish so I can ask for various items. Not sure how to ask for "travel-sized" though?

I will say, too, that the pharmacies ARE great for blister care and prevention (like Compeed bandages and balms). The supermarkets won't necessarily have that.
Hope I won't need any, but good to know. A friend who finished the CF last summer said there were even a few random vending machines that carried blister treatment products out in the middle of no where!

Yes, great idea!

I will keep an eye out for these. I am teaching myself some Spanish so I can ask for various items. Not sure how to ask for "travel-sized" though?

Hope I won't need any, but good to know. A friend who finished the CF last summer said there were even a few random vending machines that carried blister treatment products out in the middle of no where!
J....I downloaded google translate with language packs for Spain and the other countries I'm going to. It's free. If you have an iphone I assume you can also find it. You just type in the words you want translated and it will show you and/or say it outloud.

J....I downloaded google translate with language packs for Spain and the other countries I'm going to. It's free. If you have an iphone I assume you can also find it. You just type in the words you want translated and it will show you and/or say it outloud.
I do have a translation app my 6 inch Kindle that works both on and offline. I will make my husband download it for our phone, too. We have T-Mobile so we can get free texts and data in both Spain and France. Do you have to online for the Google Translate to work or will it work offline too?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do have a translation app my 6 inch Kindle that works both on and offline. I will make my husband download it for our phone, too. We have T-Mobile so we can get free texts and data in both Spain and France. Do you have to online for the Google Translate to work or will it work offline too?
It will work offline if you have downloaded the language pack.
While you are online you can actually use the camera option on a sign or a menu, and it translates right on the camera screen. It's pretty cool and saves some typing.

Some of the tinier towns do not have a farmacia. But you'll pass through a larger town every fews days or so. So just manage your quantity accordingly

supplies are plentiful and even found travel size products in shops in relatively small villages etc, You will be fine

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.