• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fastest way from Barcelona to SJPP, no busses

Walk This Way

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2014)
So, I'm trying to get to SJPP via Barcelona, only can come up with Bayonne then to SJPP. Any other suggestions, we wanted to visit Barcelona before we went, thus the reason to book flights there. Having a heck of a time booking tickets on RENFE.....

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Correction: meant to say: "Check out www.vueling.com, they have very cheap flights to Pamplona, but only during summer; from there, take a bus or tax...or start The Way right from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I'm trying to get to SJPP via Barcelona, only can come up with Bayonne then to SJPP. Any other suggestions, we wanted to visit Barcelona before we went, thus the reason to book flights there. Having a heck of a time booking tickets on RENFE.....

Hi,
I'm sure you have chosen the best option for more details try the thread.................
Trains Bayonne to SJPdP current 2014 timetable.
Also try the thread.................................
Taxi Share Bayonne to SJPdP 2014. You could find others with a similar problem " A taxi shared could be a cost halved "
Also if time is not of the essence you could walk the Voie de Nive, Bayonne to SJPdP.

Buen Camino...........Keith.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For trains try Barcelona to Pamplona on RENFE
Next contact Corazon Puro for a transfer from Pamplona to their pension, overnight and ride to Roncesvalles or SJPdP next morning.

MM

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, I don't want to go to Pamplona. I arrive Barcelona then to Bayonne, then the train to SJPP....just having real trouble getting the train tickets and such...not into taxi's or busses. Like the trains!

The fastest way ...

Fly Vueling from Barcelona (BCN) to San Sebastian (EAS) which is located spitting distance from Irun Renfe station. Ekialde bus or taxi to Irun Renfe Station. SNCF TGV from Irun to Bayonne. SNCF TER from Bayonne to SJPdP.

SJPdP is served from Bayonne by train 4 x per day and local bus (involving a transfer) 1 x per day. There is a bus from Pamplona 1 x per day (seasonal). There may be more buses from Pamplona laid on as summer demand increases. I have not identified any other way to get there by public transportation.

If it has to be trains ... Train from Barcelona to Irun/Hendaye. Euskotrain connects Irun to Hendaye where you can catch SNCF TER if there is no TGV in line with your timings.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So, no buses, no taxis, no Pamplona, fast, easy, short, uncrowded, and cheap. Be aware that the Pyrenee mountains are between Barcelona and SJPdP (and not in a good way), and that SJPdP is served only by a small shuttle train, and is near nothing except Bayonne. ;)

May your entire camino be obliging. Buen camino!

Look at the rail maps.

You can go from Barcelona to Toulouse to Bordeaux to Bayonne to SJPDP. You have to change trains at Toulouse, Bordeaux and Bayonne.

Or take the train from Barcelona to Irun/Hendeya through Logroño and Pamplona, then Hendeya to Bayonne.

I hear what you say about trains but they only travel on tracks. There is no direct rain route from Barcelona to Bayonne bypassing Pamplona that I'm aware of. You can't magic into existence something that's not there.

Your Camino may be a whole lot more enjoyable if you relax, let go of preconceived ideas, just go with the flow. The Camino decides.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I ended up booking my train fare from BCN to Pamplona online but yes it did take me awhile to translate the website but all good. I have a ticket. Suggest you do the same. In Pamplona I booked with Istvan from Corazon Puro Pension to pick me up at the train station, have dinner and stay overnight at their place and they will drive you to SJPP in the morning in time for you to register and then start walking... Very reasonable and emailed a confirmation corazonpuro@corzonpuro..es
Good luck Helen

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back