• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite shirts?

crbonade

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo (2022)
Cancelled twice thanks to COVID, but it looks like I will *finally* get to do the Primitivo this fall.

Although I had all my gear ready to go back in 2020, I now have to buy some new stuff thanks to wear and tear, a new dog who for some unholy reason likes to chew on wool clothing, and putting on some pounds. I've got most of it figured out, but I'm contemplating shirts and curious what everyone's favorites are.

Originally I was going to use Odlo cycling shirts, but I've come to really like a Patagonia capilene cool daily tee that I bought on sale. I like the way it fits, it seems durable (much more so than the lightweight version), and it's been comfortable to hike in here in Arizona.

Patagonia has a merino-blend version that I'm debating though - does anyone have any experience with that one? Any others you all might recommend?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will need several layers, so think in terms of how you can mix and match them to provide comfort for all weather conditions, and then something warm (and hopefully somewhat clean) in the evenings. I get cold very easily so I carry all these top layers:
  • Merino sleeveless tank top - I wear this always while walking
  • Synthetic walking/sun shirt with long sleeves and collar - I wear this always while walking
  • Very light merino long sleeve for warmth if needed while walking
  • Merino zip-up sweater
  • Rain jacket
  • Merino tee shirt for warm evenings and nights
  • Down vest (sleeveless) for cold evenings and nights
  • Second very light merino long sleeve shirt for evenings and nights
They are all my favourites! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I absolutely LOVE my Icebreaker Merino tshirts, both long and short sleeve. Short sleeve shirts are all lightweight, keep me cool in the summer (yes - I wear them regularly to hike and I live in the Sonoran Desert of Southern Arizona) and warm in the winter (for a tshirt). Long sleeve shirts come in various thickness/weights and keep me warmer as they get heavier. All the above hold up very well in the washer/dryer. Don't retain smells like most fabrics do - so that makes them ideal! I haven't had good luck with other brands holding up nearly as well.

Don't know about Patagonias - although I did just buy a Patagonia Women's Capilene Cool Long Sleeve TShirt. It is 65% wool and the rest polyester. Very lightweight and feels like it will be a very cool long sleeve later. Don't know how well it will hold up - but seems good! Was looking for a sun protective layer for warm days. I think it will fit that need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Merino zip-up sweater
Your gear is very similar to mine and works well. That said - your Merino zip up sweater - is it a half zip or a full zip? I have been looking for a full zip. If yours if full zip - do you remember which one and where you found it?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You will need several layers, so think in terms of how you can mix and match them to provide comfort for all weather conditions, and then something warm (and hopefully somewhat clean) in the evenings. I get cold very easily so I carry all these top layers:
  • Merino sleeveless tank top - I wear this always while walking
  • Synthetic walking/sun shirt with long sleeves and collar - I wear this always while walking
  • Very light merino long sleeve for warmth if needed while walking
  • Merino zip-up sweater
  • Rain jacket
  • Merino tee shirt for warm evenings and nights
  • Down vest (sleeveless) for cold evenings and nights
  • Second very light merino long sleeve shirt for evenings and nights
They are all my favourites! :)
I like merino, but merino doesn't like me...scratch, scratch, scratch.🙄

Curious - have you tried different brands? Some brands do bother me. Icebreaker doesn't (but my daughter notices it a little more than I do - but not bad).
I know I have tried a couple of different ones over the years. I suppose all merino is "not created equal", but I do fine on the Camino without it in my kit.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cancelled twice thanks to COVID, but it looks like I will *finally* get to do the Primitivo this fall.

Although I had all my gear ready to go back in 2020, I now have to buy some new stuff thanks to wear and tear, a new dog who for some unholy reason likes to chew on wool clothing, and putting on some pounds. I've got most of it figured out, but I'm contemplating shirts and curious what everyone's favorites are.

Originally I was going to use Odlo cycling shirts, but I've come to really like a Patagonia capilene cool daily tee that I bought on sale. I like the way it fits, it seems durable (much more so than the lightweight version), and it's been comfortable to hike in here in Arizona.

Patagonia has a merino-blend version that I'm debating though - does anyone have any experience with that one? Any others you all might recommend?
Woolx Merino Wool lightweight performance crew shirts. Excellent quality www.woolx.com.

We started buying Ibex brand clothes in 2010 or so and still have many of those original items. They went out of production at one point and have resumed with a much more limited offering. I have many t shirts, long sleeved shirts, sweaters, three kinds of tights and even knit wool slacks. My husband has 4 sweaters, several t shirts and long sleeved shirts as well as a couple of pairs of long johns. I even have some Ibex pj's. We wear them hiking, every day, and also on the Camino. My summer choices for the Camino are the v necked or scoop neck t shirts. Winter caminos I wear the long sleeved shirts and tights. I have a 'rip skirt' brand wrap skirt I put on over the tights for evening and for church. Expensive, but good quality, long lasting, and nice for layers with a variety of colors.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You will need several layers, so think in terms of how you can mix and match them to provide comfort for all weather conditions, and then something warm (and hopefully somewhat clean) in the evenings.

Oh, yeah, I guess I could have been more specific haha. I have all my other layers, just looking for the base shirt that I will wear when walking 🙂

Go for a trail running/running tech tee. Some are lighter than others, but this should be noted in the description. Every running apparel brand has a variety, lighter weight and slightly heavier for cold weather running. Don't get hung up on brands. I've got fancy specialty trail running brands and I've got Champion shirts from Walmart and love them both. You just want something non-bulky and that will wash and dry very fast. Last thing you want in any weather is a damp base layer, ugh.

Try Running Warehouse for some good deals, btw, especially in their clearance section. Free fast shipping!

If you’re looking for technical long and short sleeved t-shirts; have a look at the websites for any outdoor events, trail runs, mountain marathons etc in your country. Many of them produce annually dated shirts for their competitions. The stocks for 2020 and 2021 are probably surplus to requirements and being sold off cheap. Much of my current walking is in clothing commemorating events which were cancelled due to covid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Isobaa Merino all the way for me. One long sleeve and two short. I also have a Craghoppers Nosilife long sleeve check shirt which also has a UPF rating which can double up for evenings 👍🏼

My husband and I did the Primativo last September and then tracked n additional 6 weeks through Portugal and southern Italy afterward. We used this set up for all travel. On the Primativo and the 6 week of subsequent travel. On th Primativo, It started out hot, then rained almost daily midway through to the end.

We layered. Almost all clothing was merino wool. It served us well in all weather and never smelled bad, was lightweight and rolled up tiny. Our pack weight was between 13-14 lbs. We did laundry about once a week.

Backpacks:
Husband - Quechua (not recommended as it gave him a rash from rubbing on his shoulders)
Me: REI Trail 40. VERY GOOD. Husband is buying one for this year’s hike.

We both brought:
3 merino tee shirts - either from Wooley or Merino Tech. The latter company’s shirts were only $38 each and you got free wool socks!
1 long sleeve zip up hooded merino wool sweater (Wooley)
1-long sleeve merino wool shirt (Smartwool)
3-4 prs underwear
3 prs merino wool socks. Company is “DarnTough” and guaranteed for life. You can send them back for a replacement if you wear a hole in them, which I did. Husband uses longer socks than me.
Rain jackets - Quechua
Thin Columbia puffy jacket which we did eventually need
rain ponchos which we needed a lot as it rained hard at times!
Scarpa walking hiker shoes
Merino wool buff and thin gloves ( you will need these when you walk Hospitales. It was raining, foggy and freezing up there.

We each brought a pair of shorts. Mine was a “skort”. That could be shorts or a skirt.

Husband specific:
Husband brought hiking sticks
and he was smart to bring these. I didn’t and my knees ached toward the end of the walk. There is a lot of up and down.

Husband bought only one pair of travel pants by a company called Outlier in NYC. They only make men’s pants. These were expensive but the reviews are accurate. He only washed them twice during the Primativo. They never smelled and still look new. VERY GOOD PANTS! They run a little small, btw.

Me specific:
I brought a pair of merino wool travel pants from Wooley and a pair of wool tights. Both ran large, but the travel pants shrank in length. Not sure I will use either pants again.

I brought a black merino wool dress from Wool & Co. - it’s fantastic! Rolls up tiny and dressed up or down wonderfully.

I ended up buying on the walk a pair of comfy shoes for after walk. My feet were tired of the stinky hiking shoes and we never used our flip flops so ditched them at one point. I bought a cheap pair of Quechua lace up shoes in Lugo. They weighed like 10 oz. It was too cold for sandals as the month wore on and these were great.

We’re doing the Del Norte in Aug/ Sept this year- just bought our airline tickets! Our wardrobes will be essentially the same.

We used this wardrobe for two months.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I have 3 icebreaker granary long sleeve shirts (150 weight). I have a particular caution when it comes to sun hence the long sleeves. I can also layer them up if it gets cool. Tested them for after-wash drying time inside the house and looks like they need about 8 hrs from wash to dry.

Patagonia capilene cool daily tee that I bought on sale.
I absolutely love these shirts! I plan on 2 long-sleeve during my Camino and wear them most days. In the morning when it's cool, I'll layer on a Smartwool Short sleeve shit that can come off as the morning warms up. The capilene fabric is fully synthetic and very soft to the touch. It's thinner than Smartwool which makes it cooler on warm days. I've been using them for my training hikes for the last year.

Your gear is very similar to mine and works well. That said - your Merino zip up sweater - is it a half zip or a full zip? I have been looking for a full zip. If yours if full zip - do you remember which one and where you found it?
WoolX sells a Merino full-zip, and their wool is the least scratchy merino I have found anywhere! Wait for their 20% off sales which are pretty frequent.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ve used Capilene and liked it now I’m using 32Heat from Costco(more affordable) generally I wear what I’ll call “fisherman’s shirts” light weight / dry fast / sleeves roll up.

Janus do merino wool base layers which I find to be itch free and very hard wearing

Last edited:
I can't find it online any more. It is an Icebreaker with full zip- very plain and simple, tailored look rather than casual, medium weight, black, good pockets, washes beautifully. I love it because I can and have worn it to a business meeting where I have to make a presentation, sleeping in a sleeping bag on the Camino, to the opera with a silk scarf, and anywhere else I might go! I need to take care, now, if no replacement is available. However, it is in excellent condition and should last me a few more years. It was expensive, but worth it.

I can't find it online any more. It is an Icebreaker with full zip- very plain and simple, tailored look rather than casual, medium weight, black, good pockets, washes beautifully. I love it because I can and have worn it to a business meeting where I have to make a presentation, sleeping in a sleeping bag on the Camino, to the opera with a silk scarf, and anywhere else I might go! I need to take care, now, if no replacement is available. However, it is in excellent condition and should last me a few more years. It was expensive, but worth it.
Darn. Thanks for checking! I ended up ordering one from Woolx this morning - but I like icebreaker products so much better! This one is also more casual looking - not what I wanted. Looks more like a fleece jacket with the cut.

Oh, yeah, I guess I could have been more specific haha. I have all my other layers, just looking for the base shirt that I will wear when walking 🙂
I use Nike dri-fit t-shirts, or something similar, like a football kit t-shirt. They work for me.
Wool, a synthetic button-up, and primaloft go over this layer, if needed.

All the best,
Paul

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for all the recommendations everyone, lots of new brands for me to research! I'm spending the summer in Virginia for work, so planning on several weekends doing dayhikes on the Appalachian trail - perfect opportunity to test new stuff :p

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband and I did the Primativo last September and then tracked n additional 6 weeks through Portugal and southern Italy afterward. We used this set up for all travel. On the Primativo and the 6 week of subsequent travel. On th Primativo, It started out hot, then rained almost daily midway through to the end.

We layered. Almost all clothing was merino wool. It served us well in all weather and never smelled bad, was lightweight and rolled up tiny. Our pack weight was between 13-14 lbs. We did laundry about once a week.

Backpacks:
Husband - Quechua (not recommended as it gave him a rash from rubbing on his shoulders)
Me: REI Trail 40. VERY GOOD. Husband is buying one for this year’s hike.

We both brought:
3 merino tee shirts - either from Wooley or Merino Tech. The latter company’s shirts were only $38 each and you got free wool socks!
1 long sleeve zip up hooded merino wool sweater (Wooley)
1-long sleeve merino wool shirt (Smartwool)
3-4 prs underwear
3 prs merino wool socks. Company is “DarnTough” and guaranteed for life. You can send them back for a replacement if you wear a hole in them, which I did. Husband uses longer socks than me.
Rain jackets - Quechua
Thin Columbia puffy jacket which we did eventually need
rain ponchos which we needed a lot as it rained hard at times!
Scarpa walking hiker shoes
Merino wool buff and thin gloves ( you will need these when you walk Hospitales. It was raining, foggy and freezing up there.

We each brought a pair of shorts. Mine was a “skort”. That could be shorts or a skirt.

Husband specific:
Husband brought hiking sticks
and he was smart to bring these. I didn’t and my knees ached toward the end of the walk. There is a lot of up and down.

Husband bought only one pair of travel pants by a company called Outlier in NYC. They only make men’s pants. These were expensive but the reviews are accurate. He only washed them twice during the Primativo. They never smelled and still look new. VERY GOOD PANTS! They run a little small, btw.

Me specific:
I brought a pair of merino wool travel pants from Wooley and a pair of wool tights. Both ran large, but the travel pants shrank in length. Not sure I will use either pants again.

I brought a black merino wool dress from Wool & Co. - it’s fantastic! Rolls up tiny and dressed up or down wonderfully.

I ended up buying on the walk a pair of comfy shoes for after walk. My feet were tired of the stinky hiking shoes and we never used our flip flops so ditched them at one point. I bought a cheap pair of Quechua lace up shoes in Lugo. They weighed like 10 oz. It was too cold for sandals as the month wore on and these were great.

We’re doing the Del Norte in Aug/ Sept this year- just bought our airline tickets! Our wardrobes will be essentially the same.

We used this wardrobe for two months.
When in September did you start? I'll be going in October (starting the trail on the 8th)

I wear Minus 33 Algonquin lightweight merino wool T shirts. On my first camino, I took 2 Ts and washed them everyday but got really tired to doing hand laundry daily. This last camino, I wore each one at least three days (merino wool really doesn't retain odors at all) over a week's time and washed all my clothes only once a week--in a machine. (I wear Silverlight socks, and did the same with 3 pairs). I also wear the Ts on all my non-camino hikes. Over the years, I've had a couple of snags that I've repaired, but most of the damage to the fabric is the result of my catching the shirt in the buckle of my backpack's hip belt. I'm not sure if the blends have the same no-odor-retaining feature as 100% merino; for that reason, I'd opt for 100% merino wool.

If you're walking during from late spring through summer, Decathlon sells Ts made from a blend of merino wool and acrylic (I think). Like most things Decathlon, the Ts have a really good price. I think they're offered in the US, too, in their bay area stores and online--but they are seasonal merchandise.

By the way, I walked both in April/May and September/October, and the lightweight Minus 33 lightweight merino was enough for me either under as a base layer or by itself.

Last edited:
When in September did you start? I'll be going in October (starting the trail on the 8th)
We started on September 5th. It was very warm the first few days then cooled off to an almost perfect temperature. But, by the end of the week and into week two it began to rain frequently. Usually it just threatened or started later in the day. On two occasions, it rained all day and one afternoon the sky opened up and soaked us. Fortunately, in that instance we weren’t far from our stopping point. The rain stopped the day before we arrived in Santiago and it turned sunny again.

I suggest wearing Gortex walking shoes, but even those won’t help when it rains all day. In that case look for newspaper to stuff in your shoes overnight.

Buon Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi
I like merino shirts but they not only break the ice, they also break the bank. My tip to maximise their durability is to wear a belt without a prong*.

*I learn a new world today, it's the pin inserted in belt holes :p

Minority view here, no T shirts. I am sun sensitive and wear long sleeve nylon, (never polyester) Columbia sportswear shirts and pants exclusively. It washes and dries quickly, daily, and give a wide temperature comfort range. No fuss and weight from sun screen . A spare goes in the pack for evenings. It’s really not necessary but I also bring light weight a short sleeve version for sleep and backup. I use an inexpensive Costco V neck merino sweater and leave the smart wool and ibex at home. This combo works well for all of our travel whether it be through hikes or distant travel to the opera. My wife does the same, although, finding women’s nylon, instead of polyester, which smells, is less easy. As I’ve posted elsewhere, a hundred weight pile zip neck pull over and rain jacket rounds out the list

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.