• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Exact clothing bug bite prevention: brand/type socks/parts/shirt/hat?

Terrymally

Time of past OR future Camino
Title says it all. Exact clothing brands and type: socks/parts/shirts/hat etc to prevent all type bug bites / (Sleeping, walking etc)

Thanks (I know can use Deet spray or make a natural.... but would like to know the recommendation above for now).... to minimize bite as they still seem to get through example some socks, as well as neck and above) TY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola, I seem to recall a certain outdoor clothing shop here in Australia marketed one shirt that I still own as being impregnated against insects. That shirt is now 8 or so years old and had numerous washes so I doubt the advertised advantage still holds.
To buy or not to buy - well let the buyer beware. Cheers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am a Mosquito Magnet.
At home if I go out in the garden as dusk I'll get 20 bites within 2 minutes.

On Camino I've never had a Mosquito or other bite whilst walking.

And I've never even seen a bed bug.
But I do soak my sleeping bag in Permethrin before I depart.
Most people say it doesn't really work anyway.

This came up yesterday in a different thread. Here is one option: https://www.insectshield.com/

They sell pre-treated items and they also have a service for people to send in their own items and they’ll treat them. I have only used a Buff (neck wrap) from them so far, but will be using sleeping bag liners this year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here's a synopsis of forum searches: DEET, picaridin, IR3535 and permethrin are effective against the mosquitos and ticks that you're not going to be bothered with anyway. They are not effective against bedbugs who want your blood so badly that they will continue on to feed. Permethrin will kill bedbugs given enough time but that time is longer than the time they need to bite. Spraying the inside of your pack with permethrin is a good idea as the time spent getting to the next lodging is longer than the time needed to kill any hitchhiking bedbugs.

This came up yesterday in a different thread. Here is one option: https://www.insectshield.com/

They sell pre-treated items and they also have a service for people to send in their own items and they’ll treat them. I have only used a Buff (neck wrap) from them so far, but will be using sleeping bag liners this year.
@Terrymally, I liked Heather's post but I still don't think that permethrin treated clothes or sleeping bags are really worth it for the Camino. I did treat our sleeping bags for our first Camino but I've looked up some scholarly papers since. I also don't see any harm (others are more cautious about this). If you do want to treat your clothes search YouTube for permethrin clothes soaking. You will find videos on how to get relatively cheap concentrated permethrin, dilute it, soak your clothes and dry them. This will be more useful for you at home with ticks and mosquitoes but could make you feel better if you do it before Spain.

Although permethrin is an insecticide it sort of acts more like a repellent for ticks. They will start crawling on your treated clothes but after a bit they will get sick, stop and then fall off. That's why you often see permethrin call a repellent.

Do not let cats come close to permethrin before it dries; it can be fatal to them. And don't let it enter waterways as it will kill fish.

DEET, picaridin, IR3535 and permethrin are... not effective against bedbugs
Are there actually studies to prove this? I realize that bedbugs are not listed on the labels among the insects vulnerable to these repellants. But is it because they don't work, or because they haven't been studied and therefore that claim cannot be made in advertisements? [I don't know the answer to my question, but have long wondered.]

[Edited to remove permethrin from my question, leaving the products that are advertised as repellants. See posts following]

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are there actually studies to prove this? I realize that bedbugs are not listed on the labels among the insects vulnerable to these repellants. But is it because they don't work, or because they haven't been studied and therefore that claim cannot be made in advertisements?
@C clearly I am absolutely confident that if the manufacturers could point to even one, even dubious, study that suggested that their product was efficacious against bed-bugs then that would appear in 10 foot high headlines on every iteration of their product

Yes. I'm too busy to pick out a few now but Google can search scholarly articles by going to scholar.google.com and picking good search terms. Use cimex instead of bedbug.

@trecile has multiple times posted this video.

DEET, picaridin, IR3535 and permethrin are... not effective against bedbugs
Sorry I meant to delete "permethrin" from my quote. I am asking about whether the other insect repellants - DEET, picaridin, IR3535 - are shown to be ineffective against bedbugs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@C clearly I am absolutely confident that if the manufacturers could point to even one, even dubious, study that suggested that their product was efficacious against bed-bugs then that would appear in 10 foot high headlines on every iteration of their product
Then my question remains. Has anyone seen that one study?

Some good info from the extension service.

Then my question remains. Has anyone seen that one study?
I'm not prepared to spend time sifting through my files and dig up all of the pertinent reports and studies :). However this is one area in which I worked with the public during my career at the Chelan-Douglas Health District when not engaged in infectious disease epidemiology and bloodborne pathogen screenings.

This is actually from a prior post I wrote.
----------------------------------------------

Below is listed current science-based information as of 05/31/2022. Sources are from various public health, medical, and entomological sources. Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive text, but directed toward Camino travel. Providing counsel to people and providers dealing with such issues, as well as headlice and other assorted crawlies and parasites, was one of my jobs before retiring from Chelan-Douglas Public Health District.

My coworkers thought it amusing that Dave Bugg was the staff member who dealt with bugs.

Insecticides are chemicals which kill insects. Not all consumer-grade insecticides will kill bedbugs, and those that do, (typically a pyrethroid or a synthetic variant), have produced bedbug strains that are now fully resistant in many areas of the world.

There are also categories of insecticides which can act like a repellant for some insects like mosquitoes and ticks, but they will not repel bedbugs. The most commonly cited is Permethrin.

As a pyrethroid, Permethrin can kill non-resistant bedbugs. However, if you are spraying sheets or sleeping bags thinking it will keep non-resistant bedbugs at bay, the bedbug generally will survive their exposure to Permethrin long enough to find you, bite you and feed on you.

Many pilgrims do spray the inside of backpacks or luggage before travel so that any bedbugs attempting to hitch a ride on clothing or sleeping bags may be killed. If it is to work, using separate storage bags, stuff sacks, etc., must also be sprayed on their interiors. Don't forget all exterior pockets or interior dividers.

Repellents are chemicals that keep insects away. They actually work two ways: they repel and deter insects. This means that insects move away from any skin or clothing treated with a repellant, and do not feed if they encounter skin that has been treated. When applied as instructed, repellents act to create a 'vapor barrier' at the skin surface. It keeps mosquitoes, flies, and ticks from landing or crawling on the skin.

Two of the most effective and commonly used repellent chemicals are DEET (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide), and Picaridin (1-piperidinecarboxylic acid 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-methylpropylester). In repellant preparations, the higher the concentration, the more effective the repellant is.

Picaridin does not have some of the drawbacks as DEET. . . At a 20% concentration, Picaridin will have the same general level of effectiveness as an 80+% concentration of DEET. Picaridin has much less odor, and lasts longer. It is also more effective against ticks, though DEET is effective, too.

How to choose a repellant. First: Ignore the marketing names and catchy label graphics when buying a repellant. Look at the ingredient label and look for the active ingredient. (in this case DEET or Picaridin or both.) Next, look for the percentage of the active ingredient. For DEET, I prefer anything over 80%. For Picaridin, choose at least a 20% concentration.

With name brand repellants, if the ingredients listed fall into the effective category, forget the packaging and just purchase the cheapest product.

What will NOT work against bedbugs, but will irritate other pilgrims. There are NO essential or 'natural' oils, scents, goops, or chants that will repel bedbugs effectively. Tea tree oils, Neem oil, cinnamon, Eucalyptus oils, lavender, garlic, lemon, . . . All they do is provide a bedbug with a tasty marinade prior to feasting.

Studies have shown that some insects will avoid certain smells for an extremely abbreviated period, but the effect is very short lived, if it does occur.

Claims of bedbug repellency are made based on subjective 'correlation equals a causation' observations, but the claims don't hold up to scrutiny when studied. Similar, would be my claim that I have never been bitten by a bedbug while drinking Fanta Naranja, so Fanta is a bedbug repellant.

One can slather themselves with a gallon of lavender or lemon oil or garlic, but the only thing that will be repelled are other pilgrims.

Treatment for a bedbug infestation. The standard and best method now to deal with an infestation of bedbugs is with heat. Do not rely on chemical treatments. Thermal treatments of residences, lodgings, and commercial buildings does effectively eliminate wide spread infestations.

As a Pilgrim, what if you suspect, or learn about a bedbug exposure (bites, or seeing evidence of bedbugs) within a communal sleeping area? If possible, try to treat yourself, your gear, and clothing before continuing on to your next destination. You do not want to accidentally drag the critters to your next Albergue or casa rural, hotel, etc.
  1. Try to be discreet with your concerns. Quietly inform the lodging staff about what you suspect.
  2. Contain all your belongings in your backpack.
  3. Locate a dryer which can reach above 130F/55c. Although adult bedbugs, nymphs, and eggs are killed at temperatures above 115f/46.2c., the lower the temperature, the longer the treatment time will take.
  4. You do not need to do a washing cycle. It does not kill off an infestation.
  5. If you have an hour, put all soft gear (backpack, sleeping bag, etc.) and clothing into the dryer and run it for 60 minutes at 115f/46.2c or above. This will be the most gentle on fabrics.
  6. To shorten treatment, run the dryer at 135f/57.22c for 20 minutes.
  7. When your clothing has been treated, you may wish to change out of the clothing you are wearing, bag and seal it up, and then keep that bag sealed until you can dry heat treat those clothes.
After arriving home from any trip, I recommend not taking luggage or gear into the house. Leave it in a garage or on a porch, etc. Empty everything out of the backpack or luggage and use a vacuum to the interior, carefully covering all nooks and crannies. Use heat treatment or use the freezer method described below.

For clothing and fabric gear, follow the heat or freezer treatment guidelines. If you need to wash clothing or gear anyway, a hot dryer will do the job in the shortest time frame.

Treatment alternatives. Instead of a dryer, you can use an oven if there is rack space where the clothing and gear can be spread out. Using a black plastic bag may work, but it is iffy because clothing bunches up and the bedbugs can be insulated from the heat.

At home, keep your if you have deep freezer, you can use below zero temperatures to freeze the critters, but it will take a lot more time to assure a completed kill.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Whatever Dave Bugg says, goes.

Also: anyone sceptical about nominative determinism is wrong.

Finally: it’s not compulsory to walk in Spain. If anyone told me to go somewhere and I had to buy protective clothing, a head-net and spray my belongings with insecticide, I wouldn’t go - even if it were free.

As a pyrethroid, Permethrin can kill non-resistant bedbugs. However, if you are spraying sheets or sleeping bags thinking it will keep non-resistant bedbugs at bay, the bedbug generally will survive their exposure to Permethrin long enough to find you, bite you and feed on you.
I found research that challenges both these assertions, and shared that in a post some time ago. The first is that permethrin is less effective against resistant species in the short term, but in the long term appears to achieve similar mortality rates against all species. The second is that bed bugs that are exposed to permethrin treated fabric either do not, or are significantly less likely, to continue their search for a blood meal.

Both these indicate to me that it is worthwhile treating one's sleeping bag, liner, or even just a sleep sheet, with permethrin and using those consistently. Personally, I treat a silk liner and use it consistently. Note, though, that the silk does nothing to repel bed bugs. I choose silk because it feels comfortable, not because it provides any defence against bed bugs or other crawling insects.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, Dave, for the excellent summary.

I walk the Camino anyway, with a good understanding of the risks and treatments.

Two of the most effective and commonly used repellent chemicals are DEET (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide), and Picaridin (1-piperidinecarboxylic acid 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-methylpropylester). In repellant preparations, the higher the concentration, the more effective the repellant is.
Out of curiosity, I still have this unanswered question: Do you know whether there is evidence that the commonly-used repellents (e.g. DEET, Picardin) are effective or not effective in repelling bed bugs?

I ask because people often write that they are not effective against bedbugs, but I'm not aware of evidence that this is the case. I have occasionally covered up my body well with sleep sack, and added some insect repellant around my face and neck, hoping to repel them.

The OP has probably read most of the responses to this thread and may or may not be satisfied with the lack of answers to their actual question. So I’ll try and address that: No, there aren’t any branded or non-branded clothings that will meet your requirements and that any of the members of this forum are prepared to recommend. Practical, topical, application of appropriate repellents will help. The exercise of sensible precautions will help. Following the widely available advice on bed-bug avoidance will help. Nothing is guaranteed, ever. Even taxes can be avoided. As for death, that’s the point when none of it really matters anymore 😉

Last edited:
Sorry, but while @davebugg is good, he is not perfect.

I think this is one of those 'exception demonstrates the rule' moments.
1. Yes, but he’s got a head-start on most of us.

2. OK, I don’t know anyone else called ‘Bugg’. I do know a couple of ‘smiths’ who wouldn’t know one end of a horse from another, a ‘Baker’ who can’t, ditto a ‘Cook’, although a ‘Carter’ does run a haulage business.

So far, so coincidental I suppose - but ‘Bugg’; it’s a happy coincidence.

Hi Dave!

I found research that challenges both these assertions, and shared that in a post some time ago. The first is that permethrin is less effective against resistant species in the short term, but in the long term appears to achieve similar mortality rates against all species. The second is that bed bugs that are exposed to permethrin treated fabric either do not, or are significantly less likely, to continue their search for a blood meal.

Both these indicate to me that it is worthwhile treating one's sleeping bag, liner, or even just a sleep sheet, with permethrin and using those consistently. Personally, I treat a silk liner and use it consistently. Note, though, that the silk does nothing to repel bed bugs. I choose silk because it feels comfortable, not because it provides any defence against bed bugs or other crawling insects.

Just to be clear, you are describing effects of permethrin as a neurotoxic substance - an insecticide - not in a role as a true and specific repellant?,, or was your intent to also ascribe repellency? I ask because I do not see any reference to Permethrin or Pyrethroids as a 'repellant', which has a specific action and effect that is different than that of an 'insecticide'.

I do not disagree about your statement re: resistance to permethrin. However, my interpretation is that the resistance-response curve is somewhat similar in all insects, be they bedbugs or another species where Permethrin has been used as an infestation treatment. In the long term against susceptible insects/arthropods, there will develop similar percentages of resistance to permethrin resulting in a reduced percentage level of mortality rate and an increased percentages of survivability rates.

There is also the effect of permethrin, and other insecticides, that is sometimes confused with short term efficacy of an application, and that is the persistence of that insecticide for long term control of new infestations.

Title says it all. Exact clothing brands and type: socks/parts/shirts/hat etc to prevent all type bug bites / (Sleeping, walking etc)

Thanks (I know can use Deet spray or make a natural.... but would like to know the recommendation above for now).... to minimize bite as they still seem to get through example some socks, as well as neck and above) TY
Brand: NASA Type: Astronaut suit REALLY, I have done 11 Caminos, seen 3 bed bugs, but never have been bitten by bug or fly. Got stung on the ear by a bee cycling through Palais de Rei in 2016, although it's not applicable to your question as it was not a bite.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

If you note the specifics on the website, they do not list bedbugs, and I cannot find very much about the specifics of their treatment. There seems a bit of apples to avocados rhetoric when they state "Insect Shield treatment becomes built into the product, where sprays sit on top of fabric fibers, washing off more rapidly."

The fact is that some repellants will sit on the fabric, like Deet based formulations. However, both Picaridin and Permethrin, which are the likely chemicals used by Insect Shield, can be applied easily as a home treatment protocol to clothing and will achieve the desired longevity claimed by Insect Shield of their treatment process. This was demonstrated quite a while ago by the US military's research into long term repellency of field uniforms treated with Permethrin and picaridins.

In terms of claims made about longevity (persistence) of the repellent and insecticidal actions, home treatment will yield a long term effectiveness that persists after many wash cycles if the instructions are followed. It is simply the nature of the interaction between fabrics and the chemicals themselves.

I am not stating that Insect Shield is a scam or ineffective. From a consumer view point, if budget issues are a concern and one is able and willing to follow simple directions, treatment of clothing at home will be more cost effective and result in having access to your clothing in a small space of time. You will also have more product left over so that you can easily treat more clothing that you later decide on treating.

Just to summarise:

permethrin will not prevent you being bitten by bedbugs - it is simply not quick enough. There is a good chance it will prevent you spreading bedbugs to other places, e.g. your home or the next albergue you stay at, if you soak your bedding and backpack in it before you travel.

If you get bitten, inform the people running the albergue or hotel.

If you have been bitten or suspect you have been in contact with bedbugs, give all your stuff the heat treatment (as described in detail by Dave Bugg).

Do you know whether there is evidence that the commonly-used repellents (e.g. DEET, Picardin) are effective or not effective in repelling bed bugs?

Apparently, DEET (and picaridins if used in sufficiently high concentrations) are fairly effective at repelling bedbugs. Above is a link to the abstract of one of a number of articles (with links to others) that have come to a similar conclusion. However, here is the bad news:
  • DEET reacts with and can dissolve some synthetic materials (not a biggie if you only use natural fabrics)
  • You would have to apply it to every square inch or millimetre of your body, because the little critters get in everywhere
  • It doesn´t last very long, therefore you would have to apply it every night, all over your body
Here is another link to the European code of practice, derived from the Australian code of practice

Interestingly, it recommends washing of infested items, but at +55ºC, and then hot drying.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Apparently, DEET (but not picaridins) are fairly effective at repelling bedbugs. Above is a link to the abstract of one of a number of articles (with links to others) that have come to a similar conclusion. However, here is the bad news:
  • DEET reacts with and can dissolve some synthetic materials (not a biggie if you only use natural fabrics)
  • You would have to apply it to every square inch or millimetre of your body, because the little critters get in everywhere
  • It doesn´t last very long, therefore you would have to apply it every night, all over your body
Here is another link to the European code of practice, derived from the Australian code of practice

Interestingly, it recommends washing of infested items, but at +55ºC, and then hot drying.

Enjoy

Dick, if you look at the various studies, they examined repellency for Picaridin at concentration levels below those recommended for real world use at a 7%. (in some studies they refer to Picaridin as Icaridin). The recommended concentration is at least 20%.

There has also been discussions about the need to standardized testing protocols. It seems that the variables from DIY methods can produce inconsistent findings. It has been observed that one form of testing on a repellent chemical might result in a highly positive outcome, but the same repellent will show worse outcomes using a different test method. (Entomology Today has a readable explanation: Bed Bug Repellent Tests Should Reflect Type of Bug Behavior, Researchers Find. 01/26/2021)

Then we have this twist on the issue:
"Another surprise arose from the barrier test, “where significantly more females crossed the repellent than male bed bugs,” the researchers say. “Female bed bugs are supposed to be responsible for bed bug dispersal because they tend to hide in new harborages and leave shelters more often for host and harborage seeking. The higher tolerance against repellents shows that efficacy testing should be done with both sexes.”

Dick, if you look at the various studies, they examined repellency for Picaridin at concentration levels below those recommended for real world use at a 7%. (in some studies they refer to Picaridin as Icaridin). The recommended concentration is at least 20%.
Thank you. I have amended my original post so that it is more accurate and useful to forum members.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just to be clear, you are describing effects of permethrin as a neurotoxic substance - an insecticide - not in a role as a true and specific repellant?,, or was your intent to also ascribe repellency?
I'm not sure what you are really asking here. Permethrin is an insecticide, not an insect repellant. The matter that I was interested in is the oft-repeated claim that because treated bed bugs don't die quickly, they have the opportunity to go on to feed. I know that I would have suggested this might be so, until I found some research that indicates that this is not always so. The two sources that I found are:

Susan C. Jones, Joshua L. Bryant, Frances S. Sivakoff, Sublethal Effects of ActiveGuard Exposure on Feeding Behavior and Fecundity of the Bed Bug (Hemiptera: Cimicidae), Journal of Medical Entomology, Volume 52, Issue 3, May 2015, Pages 413–418, https://doi.org/10.1093/jme/tjv008

Jones SC, Bryant JL, Harrison SA. Behavioral Responses of the Bed Bug to Permethrin-Impregnated ActiveGuard™ Fabric. Insects. 2013 Jun 7;4(2):230-40. doi: 10.3390/insects4020230. PMID: 26464388; PMCID: PMC4553521.

My comments on these can be found here.

I'm not sure what you are really asking here. Permethrin is an insecticide, not an insect repellant. The matter that I was interested in is the oft-repeated claim that because treated bed bugs don't die quickly, they have the opportunity to go on to feed. I know that I would have suggested this might be so, until I found some research that indicates that this is not always so. The two sources that I found are:

Susan C. Jones, Joshua L. Bryant, Frances S. Sivakoff, Sublethal Effects of ActiveGuard Exposure on Feeding Behavior and Fecundity of the Bed Bug (Hemiptera: Cimicidae), Journal of Medical Entomology, Volume 52, Issue 3, May 2015, Pages 413–418, https://doi.org/10.1093/jme/tjv008

Jones SC, Bryant JL, Harrison SA. Behavioral Responses of the Bed Bug to Permethrin-Impregnated ActiveGuard™ Fabric. Insects. 2013 Jun 7;4(2):230-40. doi: 10.3390/insects4020230. PMID: 26464388; PMCID: PMC4553521.

My comments on these can be found here.

Thanks for passing this on. I think both articles are based on the same original research, the later one being an abstract referring back to the first, more complete article listed with NIH that included the parameters and methodology of the authors work. The article indicates that the mattress liner netting-like fabric with Permethrin had an effect on a good percentage of Permethrin resistant bedbug females (probably males, too) after ten minutes. It did not describe a complete protection against all bedbugs, but that a large percentage which were effected either slowed down their ability to feed or 'lost' interest in feeding

My concern is that while the exposure of the bedbug was directly to the mattress liner material, I did not read anything about whether testing was also done with a covering on top of the liner. Certainly bedbugs can reach individuals if a top cover is used, like a sleeping bag, or by crawling across a pillow or top covering like a blanket or sleeping quilt/bag.

Too, it seemed the authors were focused on the reduced ability of a female bedbug to lay eggs after exposure to ActiveGuard. That leads me to think those who are spraying/treating the inside of a backpack and a dirty-clothes stuff sack with a Permethrin treatment like Sawyers, is helping control the active introduction of bedbugs from one lodging site to another, and back to one's house at the end of the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@davebugg, I think this is missing the opportunity to think about whether these results can be generalised, and what cautions we might need to observe when we do. For a start, no special claim is made of the material properties, so it might be reasonable to infer that these results would apply to other treated fabrics. What is not known is whether there are unique characteristics of the treatment methods that we couldn't achieve by soaking or spraying that go to the effectiveness of the treatment, such as its durability or longevity, washability, etc. That wouldn't discount the results, but we might need to be cautious about suggesting we can achieve exactly the same results.
My concern is that while the exposure of the bedbug was directly to the mattress liner material, I did not read anything about whether testing was also done with a covering on top of the liner. Certainly bedbugs can reach individuals if a top cover is used, like a sleeping bag, or by crawling across a pillow or top covering like a blanket or sleeping quilt/bag.
I agree that the studies appear to have been with bed bugs crawling directly on the treated fabric used at the time. Permethrin is a contact insecticide, and anyone wanting that protection would want them to come into as much contact with treated fabric as possible before reaching some point where they can feed. It seems to me that as pilgrims, we shouldn't rely solely on mattress encasements, but also consider treating our own bedding with permethrin.
Too, it seemed the authors were focused on the reduced ability of a female bedbug to lay eggs after exposure to ActiveGuard. That leads me to think those who are spraying/treating the inside of a backpack and a dirty-clothes stuff sack with a Permethrin treatment like Sawyers, is helping control the active introduction of bedbugs from one lodging site to another, and back to one's house at the end of the Camino.
I didn't see that as a particular focus, but given the context, looking at how this treatment might interrupt the breeding cycle of any target species, and assisting to eradicate a bed bug infestation seems entirely reasonable. That applies on the camino just as much as it would in static circumstances like an albergue, hostel or hotel.

In all of this, what is clear is that no one approach can provide complete protection in the short term or even perhaps, the long term. And in this sense, as pilgrims, we mainly live in the short term. We want as much protection as we can get for tonight. We might also have a concern about that longer term to not bring bed bugs, in any of their life-cycle stages, home with us at the end of the camino.

Even with this information about the effect of permethrin on whether bed bugs go on to consume a blood meal or can then successfully breed, it is clear that just treating one's own bedding and pack with permethrin cannot guarantee one won't get bitten. We don't want to be carrying bed bugs from place to place and then home at the end of the camino. We want to know that when bed bugs are detected, hospitaleros act promptly to identify, isolate and treat bed bug infested bedding, mattresses and rooms. What is clear, though, is that treating our own bedding and backpacks in particular will go some way to achieve these things.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.