• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fear of heights - Le Puy July 2022

Stellaluna

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances -2016
Portuguese -2019
Le Puy - July 2022
Hello all,
I have bought my plane ticket and am ramping up my daily kms in preparation to do the Le Puy route starting on June 25. But, I am rather nervous about the steepness of the terrain along the route as I have a pretty severe fear of heights . As an example, a peregrina posted these images taken outside of Conques and I know that this path along the edge of a sharp slope would be a no-go for me.
I know that a path like this it is not necessarily unsafe but the thing with acrophobia is that it isn't always rational.
So pilgrims, do you care to weigh in with your impressions of the "vertigiousness" of this route? Thanks for any input!
conquessteep.jpg 1648407198487.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, I have been walking this route twice and myself being quite sensible to heights I even cannot recall any difficult or frightening or dangerous moments on this camino around Conques. Quite interestingly when we start to plan something like a camino our old little friends, 👻 the fears start to do their normal work to prevent us to live a fully lively experience. Buen Camino it’s a WONDERFUL camino you will love it.

I am not myself a lover of steep precipices. Last year I walked the entirety of the Podiensis. There was only a single brief section that gave me any concern for my physical safety: I described it here. Fortunately, that part can be easily circumvented by avoiding the steps altogether and taking the paved road instead, which will add no more than a kilometre to your overall journey.

There are plenty of spots where you can lose your footing if it's especially muddy or wet, but the only real damage you are likely to incur if that should happen is to your dignity.

The pictures to which you link above greatly exaggerate the precipitousness of the trail in that area. In high summer, when you'll be there, there's so much overgrowth at the sides that even if you were to hurl yourself bodily off the path you wouldn't roll very far. The density of the ground cover would bring you to a stop quite quickly.

I have a pretty severe fear of heights
I have a fear of heights and I do not remember anything on Le Puy route that was scary.
I would definitely remember it if there was!
As a comparison: when I walk across the bridge into Portomarin on the CF I have to walk on the road, not the pavement as that is too close to the edge.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a fear of heights and I do not remember anything on Le Puy route that was scary.
I would definitely remember it if there was!
As a comparison: when I walk across the bridge into Portomarin on the CF I have to walk on the road, not the pavement as that is too close to the edge.
Thanks for the comparison. I was ok on that bridge - guardrails make a huge difference for me. This is reassuring!

I am not myself a lover of steep precipices. Last year I walked the entirety of the Podiensis. There was only a single brief section that gave me any concern for my physical safety: I described it here. Fortunately, that part can be easily circumvented by avoiding the steps altogether and taking the paved road instead, which will add no more than a kilometre to your overall journey.

There are plenty of spots where you can lose your footing if it's especially muddy or wet, but the only real damage you are likely to incur if that should happen is to your dignity.

The pictures to which you link above greatly exaggerate the precipitousness of the trail in that area. In high summer, when you'll be there, there's so much overgrowth at the sides that even if you were to hurl yourself bodily off the path you wouldn't roll very far. The density of the ground cover would bring you to a stop quite quickly.
Thanks for the reply. It amused me that you wrote about hurling myself off the path because that is how this crazy fear manifests for me - I'm afraid of leaping/hurling/stepping off ... and yes, you are right about how overgrowth masks (and cushions!) precipitousness.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The season (and reservoir height) makes a big difference in how the Portomarin bridge feels. When the water is high, the bridge feels less high.
Yes, this makes sense. It must have been high when I crossed.

Hello, I have been walking this route twice and myself being quite sensible to heights I even cannot recall any difficult or frightening or dangerous moments on this camino around Conques. Quite interestingly when we start to plan something like a camino our old little friends, 👻 the fears start to do their normal work to prevent us to live a fully lively experience. Buen Camino it’s a WONDERFUL camino you will love it.
Yes. The Fears. I keep expecting to evolve past them yet no such transformation as of yet.

So pilgrims, do you care to weigh in with your impressions of the "vertigiousness" of this route? Thanks for any input!

I would totally agree with Stellamaris. I walked and I have a fear of heights also. How severe compared to you of course who knows. But photos often can distort what the trail really looks like. I do not ever remember I time I was fearful of the heights. Have your walking sticks and you will be fine.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the comparison. I was ok on that bridge - guardrails make a huge difference for me. This is reassuring!
I get a little queasy on that bridge even with the guard rails. If that bridge or any other didn't have any I would wait for the bus. There are lots of paths on the Norte that make those photos look like nothing and I walked it and loved it.

I love to take photographs when I travel and will go for different views by crawling on the ground or up in a tree to exaggerate what I'm trying to show. Don't worry about a photo, go by what others above have experienced. I'm ahead of you a few weeks so will post if there's anything scary!

If you click on the tag "hazards" under the title of this thread above, you will find threads that include discussion of fear of heights.

Searching for that tag only in the Le Puy forum brings this thread, which might provide some more information for you, if you haven't already found it.
I totally agree with your thread on the steps exiting Cahors. I’m quite small and had a hurt ankle. Climbing those stairs safely was a BIG challenge. It was a miracle that I made it safely. 🤔

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thé walk out of Conques was difficult and tiring but I didn’t feel it was dangerous. For me the only stressful part between Le Puy and SJPP was the walk out of Cahors. It didn’t take long but I was definitely out of my comfort zone. But then I’m 68 and not as agile as I used to be. I think there’s probably another way to continue, cars drive from there to Lascabanes so there’s a road. Cahors is a lovely town, we returned to spend two days there before returning home.

We walked this route in 2018 and didn't feel unsafe altho there are plenty of ups and downs. Yes, steep, high stone stairs after the Volentré Bridge in Cahors.
We didn't see anything like your second photo but that may be because of the weather we were advised by the hospitaleros at the Abbeye in Conques not to take the trail up to the Chapel of Sainte-Foy but to take the road that you cross after the first part of the trail. Also as advised by the Abbeye we then took an alternative route to Livinhac-le-Haut that avoided going down to Decazeville. Bon Chemin, Linda

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello all,
I have bought my plane ticket and am ramping up my daily kms in preparation to do the Le Puy route starting on June 25. But, I am rather nervous about the steepness of the terrain along the route as I have a pretty severe fear of heights . As an example, a peregrina posted these images taken outside of Conques and I know that this path along the edge of a sharp slope would be a no-go for me.
I know that a path like this it is not necessarily unsafe but the thing with acrophobia is that it isn't always rational.
I don't think I've ever uttered these words, but: I would encourage you to *not* take the GR651 variant between Figeac and Cahors. Some stretches are on or near the cliff's edge, and those are probably the most likely places (aside from that ascent from Cahors) to adversely affect you. By contrast, the GR65 between Figeac and Cahors is much more manageable.

don't think I've ever uttered these words, but: I would encourage you to *not* take the GR651 variant between Figeac and Cahors. Some stretches are on or near the cliff's edge, and those are probably the most likely places (aside from that ascent from Cahors) to adversely affect you. By contrast, the GR65 between Figeac and Cahors is much more manageable.
Thank you for this specific advice. It is much appreciated!

that is how this crazy fear manifests for me
Same for me. I have never walked this part but I have crossed the Portomarin bridge 10 times muttering my mantra: Peregrina soy, a Santiago voy, with gritted teeth... Just look forward and not down, remember it feels scarier than it is, and treat yourself when you get to the destination! (hello, large glass of albariño) Acrophobia sucks, but it is not invincible 💪

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you are walking with sticks have no fear. There are portions of the GR 653 from Oloron to Somport that make these photos look like a children's playground.
I remember and agree. Until I was on it I didn't realise how scarey it was. Next time I will take the busy road below!

That road scared the bejesus out of me. It is narrow, has no place pedestrians and there are trucks speeding by trying to avoid the customs officials.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't think I've ever uttered these words, but: I would encourage you to *not* take the GR651 variant between Figeac and Cahors. Some stretches are on or near the cliff's edge, and those are probably the most likely places (aside from that ascent from Cahors) to adversely affect you. By contrast, the GR65 between Figeac and Cahors is much more manageable.

Is it that bad? I've planned to walk it, and I'll walk in sandals and with a giant backpack. I walked the podiensis in those sandals and with that giant backpack, and also a german trail that included climbing vertical ladders ect. I'm ok with sections like the one after Cahors, but it shouldn't get much worse. I did use my hands going up some of the hills in the GR65.

You think that would be a problem? I'd like to avoid falling off a cliff, if possible 😱.

Is it that bad? I've planned to walk it, and I'll walk in sandals and with a giant backpack. I walked the podiensis in those sandals and with that giant backpack, and also a german trail that included climbing vertical ladders ect. I'm ok with sections like the one after Cahors, but it shouldn't get much worse. I did use my hands going up some of the hills in the GR65.

You think that would be a problem? I'd like to avoid falling off a cliff, if possible 😱.
I mean, I think it's awesome. Fortunately, I don't have acrophobia. OP sounded like their case is serious enough that the Célé Valley might pose problems. Maybe not for you?

Here's a pic to give you a sense of what it's like in places. You be the judge.

cHlRPMK6Frp_USRPXXfhcB12JnPuECAZdJXVoPnuNFFqbT0GqfF2Cf1sYvOr7qcK4aMoP9b6_0DaWUMS0o6BelBLsVpFNmDvxU-8SlHTk9t8G0iC-vr3_-0tqDbk8cex91omeusC

I mean, I think it's awesome. Fortunately, I don't have acrophobia. OP sounded like their case is serious enough that the Célé Valley might pose problems. Maybe not for you?

cHlRPMK6Frp_USRPXXfhcB12JnPuECAZdJXVoPnuNFFqbT0GqfF2Cf1sYvOr7qcK4aMoP9b6_0DaWUMS0o6BelBLsVpFNmDvxU-8SlHTk9t8G0iC-vr3_-0tqDbk8cex91omeusC

Thank you very much. That path is wide enough for me to be a happy pilgrim :)

€83,-
Hello all,
View attachment 121365 View attachment 121366
I’m so scared of heights the paths are fine with me but the bridges are another story. Crossing into Spain from the Portuguese ….horrible. Going into Portomarin….horrible going into Porto…. Horrible I get the sweats and shakes

I agree that the climb out of Cahors is the most scary part of the Via Podiensis, high steps on places where an unlikely fall could have fatal consequences. There is an alternative to avoid this short stretch. Somebody in the albergue should be able to point this out. You should follow the road and at some point connect again to the camino. I don't think it is marked. The climb out of Conques is steep ( the steepest you will meet on the Podiensis) but not dangerous. I did walk the gr 651 (the Cele valley) it is beautifull. I remember only one passage that might be difficult for people with vertigo :a rather narrow trail that traverses a slope. The trail that runs close to the ravines/walls (as shown on the picture in another post) is as far as I remember broad.

Ya. You're right. That gets my heart a-pumpin! But, I would love to do the Cele variant... by then I should have more of an idea about how I'm handling the heights. Thanks for posting this.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's funny how fear of heights works. I hated that bridge in Spain, and refused to talk to anyone until I was over it - even though it was perfectly safe. I don't remember anything like it on the Le Puy route. There are some rocky climbs, but it's not like walking along the edge of a drop off. And even those sections on the GR 651 had wide enough paths that I was fine.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back