• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

San Juan Bautista Albergue vs Champions League Final?

ChadEstes

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese '22, Frances '23, PCostal/Primitivo '24
May sound like a silly question but I'd love input from those who have had the experience staying at the San Juan Bautista Albergue in Granon. I would really like to stay here and have been intentional about including this in my itinerary. I will be there on June 10th, the same evening as the Champions League Final. My question has to do with their evening program. After it is finished is the church locked until morning with the pilgrims expected to stay inside? The game starts at 9pm and I would love to watch it with locals at a restaurant/bar and then return to the church to sleep.

I'd love to have both of these experiences if possible, if not I will opt for the service in the church. Curious if anyone has input. Thanks!

(Due to other arrangements arriving in Granon on a different night is not an option)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@ChadEstes, when I was there as a hospitalero the door was never locked, but I discourage you from coming in after hours and disturbing others.

Maybe consider staying in a private room where you can stay out as late as you like. You may need to choose another town as there are only a few private room or AirBnB options in Grañón.

Ohhy!! Camino first ;) , you may never get another chance? Granón without a doubt. Who knows , there may be a number of lads wanting to watch?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe talk to the other pilgrims and the hospitaleros and negotiate a solution. Alternatively, change your schedule and book private accommodation for that night then arrive at Granon a day earlier or later. And just a reminder to anyone thinking of posting on this thread to check Rule 2 first. Cheers.

I understand the dilemma (I like football), but I think in this case you can't have both. Returning to an albergue late is just not a nice thing to do when people are sleeping. And if it turns into extra time and penalties, it will be even later.

Btw I am no too sure whether you will be able to watch the final in a bar in Granon as I doubt locals will be interested in it, as there is no Spanish team involved,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@ChadEstes you should explain the hospitalero your desire. Grañon is a must: do not forget to ask for their nice stamp ;-)
In Grañon there are not many bars: just a social bar near the donativo, and I do not remember there were a TV there.
Fortunately, there is the Casa Grande Hotel near the donativo. I am sure they have a TV, but I suggest you to ask them before...

Very small radio/phone with earpiece? You may not need to watch it as Man. City will win, I am an expert as I predicted Liverpool would win last year!

The meditation service often starts at about nine pm at Grañón. Mass is usually at 6:30 or 7 pm. Supper is at 8 followed by washing up and then meditation service with the passing candle. Usually lights out at 10 pm. Don't know if that helps. You need to be out of the albergue by 8 am the next morning. That may help with your planning.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The meditation service often starts at about nine pm at Grañón. Mass is usually at 6:30 or 7 pm. Supper is at 8 followed by washing up and then meditation service with the passing candle. Usually lights out at 10 pm. Don't know if that helps. You need to be out of the albergue by 8 am the next morning. That may help with your planning.
Yes, this helps a lot. It is nice to know the schedule and that will most likely preclude trying to find access to watch the game with locals. It would have been fun to have watched the European Champion's League while in Europe, but I'm definitely more focused on the experience at the albergue.

Thank you all for your help!

Granon is a must, and so is the Champions League. Of course you can watch the match and get in when it's over, no problem whatsoever. The Granon hospitaleros are the most accomodating and relaxed on the Camino ... Except perhaps for the wonderful San Lazaro in Santiago. You'll have no problem at all, and you must stay at Granon, it's unforgettable

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.