• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

finding daily culture

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
throughout the forum, people toss in information about summer concerts in various towns, farmer's markets etc. These kind of things are as equally important to me as the historical churches and buildings. and a lot of fun, letting lone getting fresh food!
If I cant read Spanish, what are the ways to find out what might be happening in the towns and villages ahead of me, and when.
thanks
nanc

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
More often than not, the Office of Tourism in big cities have available a list of upcoming events for the province, and even more so, if the town/village is on the Camino. Don't ever miss the opportunity to go into an Office of Tourism in Spain and see what they have on boards posted or simply ask at cafes. Word of mouth is the premiere "posting board" along the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Events can be spontaneous. One lunch in a bar O Cebreiro, a family group of a dozen dropped in with bagpipes, drums, and tambourines, and played and sang Galician music for over an hour. They did not operate on a schedule, but were regulars throughout the year.

I was not looking for local entertainment and yet 3 come to mind that I walked into. There was a festival in Leon in honor of a saint that I never heard of. There was a Ferdinand and Isabella float parade, around which I had to detour (don't remember the name of the town). Then there was a running of the bulls in Viana that fortunately mesmerized me, because there was no getting around that one.

In addition there was a birthday party at a restaurant somewhere along the trail. Cake was offered to all patrons of the evening in celebration of a lady's 90th birthday while on her 4th Camino. She appeared to be just a few years older than me and I was 67 at the time. Inspiring, to say the least!!

Tonight the 23rd is St Juan. The longest day. There seem to be lots of festivities. Certainly in Santiago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
throughout the forum, people toss in information about summer concerts in various towns, farmer's markets etc. These kind of things are as equally important to me as the historical churches and buildings. and a lot of fun, letting lone getting fresh food!
If I cant read Spanish, what are the ways to find out what might be happening in the towns and villages ahead of me, and when.
thanks
nanc

Hello,

Are you in the Camino right now or are you planning one? Which month? You could plan your trip in order to be in Spain for Semana Santa, or today as it's San Juan as said above...

Or just hope to enter a local celebration in a town by coincidence - I Think it's the best way. When we entered a town on the Camino Francés, we were suddenly met by giants made of glue and paper that people walked around with on their heads (Surreal, yes). I have forgotten the name of the town and I don't know what the celebration was for....! But it was a nice surprise! :O)

There are so many villages that you will surley stumble upon something interesting! If you don't know about it in advance, the more you'll appreciate it! :O)

/BP

When you start walking, and at various other times, just "put it out there" - to the Camino - visually or thoughts - that you would love to run into this sort of experience. The Camino provides! :)
Buen Camino! September is a beautiful month for walking - if that's still your plan!
Terry

I leave SJPdP on September 7th- so all the June options are neat but a tease. I was looking for places, contacts for me to look into as I go
mspath thanks for that resource- you guys ever amaze me!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tonight the 23rd is St Juan. The longest day. There seem to be lots of festivities. Certainly in Santiago.
(longest day aka summer solstice - was this year on Monday, June 20th)
enjoy the festivities . :)- buen camino -

These threads might be useful for you:

www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/saint-days-celebration-days-in-towns.40178
www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/festivals-september-and-october-2015.35425

And this web maybe too: http://en.fiestas.net

Tonight the 23rd is St Juan. The longest day
today as it's San Juan as said above

Just for the sake of acurracy. San Juan is June 24th. Festivities for the night of San Juan may start June 23rd but San Juan is June 24th. It's like New year's day that it's January 1st even if celebrations start on Dec. 31st. The night of San Juan is a popular fiesta in many Spanish towns. In all the places that I know, fire related acts/activities don't start till midnight (i.e.: till it's June 24th).

San Juan isn't either the longest day. The longest day is summer's solstice day. On the Northern Hemisphere summer's solstice day can be, depending on the specific year, either June 20th, June 21st or June 22nd.

When we entered a town on the Camino Francés, we were suddenly met by giants made of glue and paper that people walked around with on their heads (Surreal, yes).

Weren't there cabezudos (big-heads) too? They usually parade together although not always. For more info about Gigantes y Cabezudos: www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/asuncion-and-the-big-heads-papier-maché.40333

(longest day aka summer solstice - was this year on Monday, June 20th)
enjoy the festivities . :)- buen camino -

Thursday night was certainly party night in Santiago and the celebrations are set to continue into July. Shops are closed here today, Friday. Except for the usual tourist ones.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
… a birthday party … in celebration of a lady's 90th birthday while on her 4th Camino.
Indeed. Never think you are too old. A 91-year-old woman and her 65-year-old son stayed at our albergue one night. A couple of 79-ers. And I've walked 66 kilometers on my longest day, at age 62. (But I generally do less than thirty)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back