• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding this a bit lonely

JaneyWindsor

Time of past OR future Camino
28 August 2023 Portuguese Coastal Camino
I was told by friends who’d done the (French) Camino that there are plenty of pilgrims on the way and it’s easy to hook up with others. Not my experience on the Portuguese! My first couple of days I walked with some wonderful people and had such interesting conversations, but this has largely petered out. As a single female I didn’t anticipate walking through such remote stretches on my own too. I’m getting to grips with the lengthy solitude but it’s not what I expected! I’m not staying in Albergues - which maybe limits my opportunities for meeting up for dinner (dinner for one has been the standard for my trip, bar one day). I’ve greeted every Peregrino I’ve met along the way, but any initiated conversation has - virtually without exception - come from me.

So my plea to fellow pilgrims is - if you see a singleton, try having a short conversation. They may prefer to be on their own or they may be really keen to talk. And please be mindful of the safety and security of those walking on their own.

Thank you and Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @JaneyWindsor

Sorry you are feeling that way. Would you consider from time to time asking another pilgrim or small group if you could join them - to walk with or have dinner with them? You can explain you’re feeling a bit lonely, especially at dinner time. I know it’s not easy - showing our vulnerability takes courage. On my first camino I asked people if I could join them for dinner a few times and asked another solo pilgrim if they’d like to join me. It took me quite a while to muster up the courage - but always received a positive response 🙏

Hi @JaneyWindsor

Sorry you are feeling that way. Would you consider from time to time asking another pilgrim or small group if you could join them - to walk with or have dinner with them? You can even explain you’re feeling a bit lonely, especially at dinner time. I know it’s not easy - showing our vulnerability takes courage. On my first camino I asked people if I could join them for dinner a few times and asked another solo pilgrim if they’d like to join me. It took me quite a while to muster up the courage - but always received a positive response 🙏
Thanks Pelerina, I’m happy to do this.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@JaneyWindsor , I feel for you. I'd love to be able to offer you some positive suggestions, but it sounds as if you're already doing what I would do. The only thing you haven't mentioned is actively seeking pilgrims in the bar / restaurant/ cafe - and asking if you can join them. Any time I stopped I did that. And I wasn't always alone, either - sometimes I already had someone with me. It just seemed like a good thing to do. Always led to a good conversation/ new connections. And often to a repeat, further down the trail. Occasionally I might be the first in, then I always sat so as to be able to great people as they arrived. And in a restaurant if I spotted pilgrims already eating, I'd ask for their recommendation/ opinion on the food.
And dare I suggest that a single female is generally less threatening than an (often unshaven) man....

If you have too much time on your hands, you could always start another thread here, about your journey. I did that in the beginning on my first (solo) evening. Of course, the problem is, people answer, then you feel compelled to continue!!!

Ironically, I love walking alone, but seldom did. Clearly you'd love company, I hope things seriously improve for you !

@JaneyWindsor , I feel for you. I'd love to be able to offer you some positive suggestions, but it sounds as if you're already doing what I would do. The only thing you haven't mentioned is actively seeking pilgrims in the bar / restaurant/ cafe - and asking if you can join them. Any time I stopped I did that. And I wasn't always alone, either - sometimes I already had someone with me. It just seemed like a good thing to do. Always led to a good conversation/ new connections. And often to a repeat, further down the trail. Occasionally I might be the first in, then I always sat so as to be able to great people as they arrived. And in a restaurant if I spotted pilgrims already eating, I'd ask for their recommendation/ opinion on the food.
And dare I suggest that a single female is generally less threatening than an (often unshaven) man....

If you have too much time on your hands, you could always start another thread here, about your journey. I did that in the beginning on my first (solo) evening. Of course, the problem is, people answer, then you feel compelled to continue!!!

Ironically, I love walking alone, but seldom did. Clearly you'd love company, I hope things seriously improve for you !
Thanks, I like your suggestions re bars and restaurants - I’ll give it a go! I might be so successful with this strategy that I’ll long for the solitude again 😜

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think that could be the problem. Most pilgrims will be staying in the albergues, so that will be the main place to hook up with others on the Portuguese . . .
Certainly won't help, but on my first Camino - the Inglès - neither did I. Precisely why, like the OP, I greeted every pilgrim I met along the way, and, after my first evening alone, instituted the suggestions I made above. They worked - I still sometimes walked alone, but more by choice. Break's, and meals were always spent with someone. By day 5 I had become the 'glue' between two couples and another single , plus they added a couple more people they'd met. 8 of us walked into the plaza together and 10 of us celebrated with dinner that night! For a self proclaimed 'loner' like myself it was an incredible experience

Sorry for your loneliness. One thing learned in the past, having shared your experience, is that the route to disappointment is expectation. That route in particular is kinda lonely. I mean there are people there, but, its like, different. I'd say embrace your solitude, and the power it brings you. But I also find when I go beyond personal fears, and reach out to others, like you say you are doing, they are most likely in the same situation... keep being friendly. my 2 cents.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have experienced this too on two Caminos. On my recent Camino I stopped at more cafes, even if I didn’t need to stop, and initiated conversation. In one instance I saw someone approach and said do you want to sit here and pointed to the chair. It was definitely outside my comfort zone but the conversation with the person was so great I forgot about how anxious I was when I had been sitting there alone. We shared beers and good convo. One you are past Tui you will see more people but a lot of people will be in groups because groups start in Tui. At this point, seeing all these groups and their constant conversation and debates on when to stop/where to stop, I was glad to be alone.

Just as an aside.
We are all different ;)

Previously I was a firm user of private accommodation, and always met loads of people.
But on my last Camino I made sure that I stayed in a mix of Albergues of different types as well as private rooms.

I tend to 'meet' people easiest whilst walking or at cafes/bars.
It's maybe easier to strike up a conversation that way.

In Albergues I find that people may already be in 'groups'.
And it can be 'awkward' for me at least, to strike up conversations in someone's "private space".
They are resting, showering, sorting gear. And it feels very weird (to me) to intrude.

Unless there is a laundry area, kitchen area or a communal meal that's a lot easier of course.
'Common areas' make mixing a bit easier.

Far easier for me to just say Hi to others whilst walking, or sitting at the next table at a cafe.

We're all different though :rolleyes:

Sorry for your loneliness. One thing learned in the past, having shared your experience, is that the route to disappointment is expectation. That route in particular is kinda lonely. I mean there are people there, but, its like, different. I'd say embrace your solitude, and the power it brings you. But I also find when I go beyond personal fears, and reach out to others, like you say you are doing, they are most likely in the same situation... keep being friendly. my 2 cents.
Thanks - and there’s certainly something about expectation and disappointment that I can learn from 🙏🏻

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My first Camino Frances in early March was quite lonely for the first two weeks. I also was not staying in albergues that time. I have never been on the CP but, might there be private albergues that also have private rooms? Hopefully that arrangement would allow you to join in communal dinners and to be in closer proximity to other pilgrims.

I was told by friends who’d done the (French) Camino that there are plenty of pilgrims on the way and it’s easy to hook up with others. Not my experience on the Portuguese! My first couple of days I walked with some wonderful people and had such interesting conversations, but this has largely petered out. As a single female I didn’t anticipate walking through such remote stretches on my own too. I’m getting to grips with the lengthy solitude but it’s not what I expected! I’m not staying in Albergues - which maybe limits my opportunities for meeting up for dinner (dinner for one has been the standard for my trip, bar one day). I’ve greeted every Peregrino I’ve met along the way, but any initiated conversation has - virtually without exception - come from me.

So my plea to fellow pilgrims is - if you see a singleton, try having a short conversation. They may prefer to be on their own or they may be really keen to talk. And please be mindful of the safety and security of those walking on their own.

For sure, staying at albergues and having dinner with other pilgrims is the way to meet people. Also, doing this means you start walking in the morning with others…

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

100% agree.

Incidentally, as you might have gathered, you may be physically alone, but not only are we with you here online, we are most definitely with you in spirit!
Agreed. We are here for you, Janey. Check in any time & let us know how you are going. You reached out to us, so good on you. Great suggestions given. The next pilgrim you meet might be lonely & really appreciate your initiative to connect.
Buen Camino ♡

This is interesting. I’m hiking the coastal route starting from Porto in mid-September and I’ve gone from worrying about being alone to worrying about too many pilgrims and no place to stay. I’ve decided to stop worrying about all of it and trust that the Camino will provide.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had the same experience as you. After walking the French route twice and meeting so many amazing people I decided to change things up and walk the Portuguese coastal route since I’d heard so many good things about it. What a difference (and not in a good way) Three days of walking and I was still on my own. Though I’d met a few pilgrims they all seemed to be going for a solo experience. There was none of the close interaction that I’d found on the French route, so at Caminha I veered over to the central. Suddenly there were people and they wanted to talk and hang out! That decision saved my Camino. Hopefully you’ll find the same when you cut over and get on the Spiritual variant.

I had the same experience as you. After walking the French route twice and meeting so many amazing people I decided to change things up and walk the Portuguese coastal route since I’d heard so many good things about it. What a difference (and not in a good way) Three days of walking and I was still on my own. Though I’d met a few pilgrims they all seemed to be going for a solo experience. There was none of the close interaction that I’d found on the French route, so at Caminha I veered over to the central. Suddenly there were people and they wanted to talk and hang out! That decision saved my Camino. Hopefully you’ll find the same when you cut over and get on the Spiritual variant.
Thanks David, that’s so encouraging for me to hear (although I’m sorry about your first 3 days). I’m on my own (again) in Vigo now (no pilgrims in any bars or cafes that I’ve seen), but I’m booked into rooms in places in Arcade and Pontevedra that also have bunks so let’s hope things change during my last remaining days! All best, Jane

I think that could be the problem. Most pilgrims will be staying in the albergues, so that will be the main place to hook up with others on the Portuguese . . .
@jsalt, I think that is absolutely the problem. I did the Portuguese last April, alone, and I had Janey's experience. I, too, did not stay in albergues, and I knew that was the problem, but I really treasured my sleep, and needed that for alone time. I sacrificed companionship at the expense of a good night sleep. It was a tough dilemma for someone like me who has tried to sleep in a public setting, but cannot.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too only stayed on the coastal route for two days for the same reason - I also found more tourists rather than pilgrims staying in the accommodation - I certainly met more people on the Frances just walking each day due to the volume of pilgrims. I hope the changeover to central will improve your sense of being part of a pilgrim community as once I changed over I suddenly felt like I was back on the camino. Nevertheless the experience of walking through the small fishing communities was interesting and the seafood was enjoyable so hopefully you’ll see some local sites that make the route worthwhile.
Buen camino

Each route has different gifts. On the VdlP last year a few days out of Sevilla, a wonderful Italian man with whom I walked for a few days, took a bus to Portugal - because for him the Camino was all about the connections with people - and the Via can be very solo. I on the other hand absolutely adored days of walking alone.
As suggested you can move to the Central route and then following the people rather than any previous plan. All roads lead to Santiago.
Blessings and Buen Camino.
❤️🤗🚶‍♂️

Thanks David, that’s so encouraging for me to hear (although I’m sorry about your first 3 days). I’m on my own (again) in Vigo now (no pilgrims in any bars or cafes that I’ve seen), but I’m booked into rooms in places in Arcade and Pontevedra that also have bunks so let’s hope things change during my last remaining days! All best, Jane
One other thing about that Camino that I have to share-it provided an amazing lesson in saying “yes” and trusting in the outcome, letting the Camino work it’s magic. Coming through Esposende I was having a less than fun time. I couldn’t find the albergue, I was hungry and alone. As I walked by a home I heard a voice “are you a pilgrim? Where are you going?” I stopped and explained my frustration and how the Camino wasn’t going quite the way I’d planned to Pedro. He went around back to grab me a water and instead returned with a bottle of wine, two glasses and an explanation that it was Mothers Day in Portugal. He then insisted that I coma back and join the family for a meal. Wow, such a feast! The worst day on the Camino became one of my fondest memories. Three hours later he was kind enough to drive me to the albergue along with some food his mother in law had packed for me for the following day. Maybe there’s a lesson in your Camino, waiting for a chance to show itself.

Attachments

• IMG_2071.jpeg
    IMG_2071.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

My sister and I were in Porto in April and saw where the Camino crossed through part of town (sort of near the airport.) They came one or two at a time, but quite spaced out. It occurred to us, that, wow, they probably don't even know they aren't the only pilgrims around. Perhaps if you're not staying in the albergues, you could stroll by and see if anyone's hanging around outside for a chat. You may need to initiate, but then you'll know each other if you see each other the next day. The more north you go, the more people you'll see. Stay open and take heart in the energy of pilgrims who've come before you, and soon you'll find your own peeps. (oh, and you could stick a piece of paper on your backpack asking, "Hey! Wanna talk?" with a big happy face--just an idea)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Above, various men telling a lone woman to embrace the solitude. Seriously? Wake up guys. Our experience of solitude is nothing like that of a woman alone on an empty road in a foreign country. Have some sympathy.
If @JaneyWindsor had mentioned not feeling safe, I'd agree, but I don't think that feeling lonely is gendered. It's more to do with personality types.

To add on - there are many posts on the forum from men and women who are "in their element" when completely alone, and love being the only one on the trail or in the albergue. And conversely there are both men and women who crave social connection.

Last edited:
He went around back to grab me a water and instead returned with a bottle of wine, two glasses and an explanation that it was Mothers Day in Portugal. He then insisted that I coma back and join the family for a meal. Wow, such a feast! The worst day on the Camino became one of my fondest memories. Three hours later he was kind enough to drive me to the albergue along with some food his mother in law had packed for me for the following day.
This is so classically small-town Portuguese! Part of the family, almost before you know it. For someone like me from quite private, Anglo-Canadian culture, it can be overwhelming--but in a good way.

We did the CP coastal from Porto earlier this year, and had a similar experience. Compared to Frances and Primitivo there just didn’t seem to be the same camaraderie and Camino spirit initially. But it did improve once we crossed into Spain, and there were more people. I was told the central route was much better. But then you don’t get the sea views!
We stay private too, but have met some lovely people on the way nevertheless, usually at the bar in the evening post walk. We found those opportunities on CP more limited as CP stops tend to be in larger towns, not the small places you stop at on the Frances or Primitivo.
Still, a Camino is a Camino. Come back next year and do another! Once you are addicted it’s difficult to stop😀

We did the Camino Frances first and the Portugese coastal next and it was totally different in respect to less people and the peopledidn'tseem that interested in getting to know others. I would switch to the inland route.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is interesting. I’m hiking the coastal route starting from Porto in mid-September and I’ve gone from worrying about being alone to worrying about too many pilgrims and no place to stay. I’ve decided to stop worrying about all of it and trust that the Camino will provide.
Likewise!! Amento that ! Maybe we will bump into each other 😄

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If @JaneyWindsor had mentioned not feeling safe, I'd agree, but I don't think that feeling lonely is gendered. It's more to do with personality types.
I didn’t explicitly say this in my original post - but yes, walking extended stretches in remote areas of woodland etc does cause some concern. This is why I referred to safety and security.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I walked this stretch mid July and had no problems at all to socialize with other pilgrims. The most lonely parts were the first days walking very early in Porto up to Vila do Conde. But at the Albergue we had some very nice conversations and a very entertaining dinner in the nearby restaurant.

After Tui there were just no really lonely legs anymore. Especially in the Albergues and sometimes on the way (I'm a really fast walker) I had plenty of chats and social interactions. But I must admit that I needed a couple of days on the CF in 2019 to get used to the coming and going of friends and fellow pilgrims.

On the CF I had way more lonely parts, the first three days I walked almost in total solitude, in comparison to the CP.

Above, various men telling a lone woman to embrace the solitude. Seriously? Wake up guys. Our experience of solitude is nothing like that of a woman alone on an empty road in a foreign country. Have some sympathy.

I am a woman who walks alone- sometimes for days at a time. In Spain I am no more unsafe than any other person. The worst that I have heard happen is -
*breaking limbs which can happen to anyone
*being exposed to some male funny parts - that happened to me on a train in Melbourne when I was 13 so I am pretty sure I can deal with it now
*physical violence - which happened to a man
*being robbed - again not gender specific
I embrace the solitude on Camino in Spain but I wouldn’t embrace it in other places that are known to be very dangerous for women.
And I acknowledge that not all women feel as I do on Camino. And I often join groups for the camaraderie and local knowledge.

A friend of mine used to say..”the only thing I worry about is that I don’t worry about anything and I feel I’m missing out on something “ he was a very chilled out person !

You may want to reconsider your decision on only private accommodations and try out an albergue or two. - Or maybe just go over and make supper at an albergue. My teenage son and I often made too much food for dinner, at first by accident and then on purpose. We would serve dinner to a few peregrinos arriving after us. Sometimes dinners, sometimes just desserts. Or you could open a bottle of wine, and offer everyone in the kitchen a glass. It's a great way to meet people.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I walked the Camino in March. Besides being cooler it was also quite solitary but i did get use to it. long stretches' of road by myself did get me to thinking a lot about everything. It was almost like i was re-organizing my memories. Weird. But on the Francais there would be every now and then a guy walking up behind you to say hi and we would talk for 10 maybe 15 minutes, a few longer. Because i was older and slower they would carry on. As the Camino got busier I would run into the same people more often and the reunions would quite a happy affairs.

The solitude, to me, was a wonderful experience. Running into others was also wonderful. But that was on the Francais. It did get very busy.

It was rewarding

I walked the Via de la Plata in mid August a few years ago. The temperature was above 40 with an average about 41-42 every day according to internet forecasts. There were no other pilgrims (they were not insane) for the first couple of weeks except for a young italian cyclist who stopped to chat for a minute and check to see if I needed water.
I stayed mostly in albergues but was alone in them. The towns were all quiet and locals not outgoing.. so minimal people contact.
The long days in the hot sun and heat did take a toll on me. I had a day or so that was kind of strange in regards to memory of where I had walked. Somehow I got a day ahead of schedule but only walked and never took a ride.

Actually, I rather enjoyed the isolation but that may have been from the effects of heat exhaustion :cool:

My wife, Ellie, met me in Salamanca and we walked onto Santiago together. The heat was much more moderate from Salamanca and there were more pilgrims to interact with.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@JaneyWindsor
Hi Jane, hearing a lot of opinions ( which is not a bad thing!) but I'm more interested in how you are doing. Any better today, or is it much the same?
Peter
Hi Peter, thanks for asking! Vigo was a bit of a low for me. However today (Vigo - Arcade) has been much better! I walked a few hours this morning with a fascinating and charming local guy (not a pilgrim): a great experience as we walked through beautiful countryside. This afternoon I was alone. I’ve checked into a Filla do mar where I’ve just bumped into someone I’ve previously walked with - so company for the evening which is great :)

...However today (Vigo - Arcade) has been much better! I walked a few hours this morning with a fascinating and charming local guy (not a pilgrim) .... I’ve just bumped into someone I’ve previously walked with - so company for the evening which is great :)
Excellent! Here's hoping this is just the beginning for you . And as @grayland said, everything you post about the journey helps us armchair walkers vicariously share the journey. One or two are here out of a genuine desire to help others, most of us however simply just want to swap places with you. Or, better yet, join you on the trail! :)
I still haven't walked the Portuguese.... Sigh.....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am a woman who walks alone- sometimes for days at a time. In Spain I am no more unsafe than any other person. The worst that I have heard happen is -
*being exposed to some male funny parts - that happened to me on a train in Melbourne when I was 13 so I am pretty sure I can deal with it now
I embrace the solitude on Camino in Spain but I wouldn’t embrace it in other places that are known to be very dangerous for women.
And I acknowledge that not all women feel as I do on Camino. And I often join groups for the camaraderie and local knowledge.
Hi Rita - I am with you I enjoy the internal quiet and solitude of the walk. I am quite friendly & interested in other Pilgrims' stories but it's also nice just trudging along with my own thoughts not needing to explain my reasons for the walk. However, there is always plenty of opportunities to exchange all this at the Albergues & restaurants etc as well? On my first Camino I accidentally bumped into some walkers from my country with whom I am still in touch & have also shared another walk. So, just be positive and maybe change your routine one day?

Unfortunately, worse has happened (e.g. Denise Thiem, may she rest in peace). That said, from what I have heard, the Camino is much safer than many other places with a similar population.

I wouldn't discourage a woman from walking her Camino alone. But neither would I discourage her from seeking the company of fellow pilgrims nor fault her for missing it when walking routes where it seems hard to come by. Many pilgrims embrace the solitude. Many pilgrims find the company of fellow pilgrims one of the most rewarding parts of their experience.

Dear Janey, I feel for you ! I am 76 yrs old and walked in April from Leon to Santiago de Compostela, 315 kilometers, feeling very lonely. During two days of the 12, I spoke to someone. After the first days I felt miserable and began walking almost 30 kilometers a day just to get out of there. After coming home I felt better and somehow the Camino too.
Now in ten days time I am starting my Camino from Porto - with my positive daughter 53 yrs and hope this time we meet wonderful people and may enjoy thir company at dinner table. I believe in a change.
Hope Your Camino turns into a lively and lovely one !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear Janey, I feel for you ! I am 76 yrs old and walked in April from Leon to Santiago de Compostela, 315 kilometers, feeling very lonely. During two days of the 12, I spoke to someone. After the first days I felt miserable and began walking almost 30 kilometers a day just to get out of there. After coming home I felt better and somehow the Camino too.
Now in ten days time I am starting my Camino from Porto - with my positive daughter 53 yrs and hope this time we meet wonderful people and may enjoy thir company at dinner table. I believe in a change.

Hi Wippe,

Sad to hear of your experience - but good to hear you’re back on the road with your daughter soon.

In the end I’ve had a ‘Camino doughnut’ as far as company is concerned: company at the beginning and end and a bit empty in the middle! I have met some truly wonderful people though.

I’m sure when you walk you’ll remember your original experience and greet singletons along the way.

I hope you both have a wonderful time.

Would love an update on how your last few days have gone!
Hi Sue,

Have really enjoyed the Variante (although pretty tough, physically). Found the pilgrims on this route a friendly bunch and - for the first time since Esposende - I was seeing the same faces on consecutive days 😃
I’ve had dinner with a Portuguese couple and an Austrian mother and daughter - and have just had a wonderful (extended) lunch in Padron with an Australian couple.

I’ve come to enjoy walking on my own on this very beautiful route (although I still stand by what I said originally: you pass through some very secluded spaces eg out of Armenteiras (VE).

Still don’t understand fellow pilgrims who pass without eye contact or a ‘Buen Camino’ but maybe that’s just me.

Enjoy your Camino x

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Sue,

Have really enjoyed the Variante (although pretty tough, physically). Found the pilgrims on this route a friendly bunch and - for the first time since Esposende - I was seeing the same faces on consecutive days 😃
I’ve had dinner with a Portuguese couple and an Austrian mother and daughter - and have just had a wonderful (extended) lunch in Padron with an Australian couple.

I’ve come to enjoy walking on my own on this very beautiful route (although I still stand by what I said originally: you pass through some very secluded spaces eg out of Armenteiras (VE).

Still don’t understand fellow pilgrims who pass without eye contact or a ‘Buen Camino’ but maybe that’s just me.

Enjoy your Camino x
Thanks for the reply! I’m one of those who will say ‘Hello’ to folks who are ignoring me as I walk by so maybe will get some interaction. Buen Camino!

Some of us are not interested in social interaction

I like to be alone with my own thoughts
I dont like to talk to random people, and I definitely don't want to give the impression I'm interested in small talk during my walk

I understand other people might have different desires / needs

I dont like to talk to random people, and I definitely don't want to give the impression I'm interested in small talk during my walk

I appreciate and fully support where you are coming from, but I personally find that a simple smile, a friendly nod or a simple hello/ Buen Camino from a complete stranger can absolutely make my day!
No conversation necessary

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I appreciate and fully support where you are coming from, but I personally find that a simple smile, a friendly nod or a simple hello/ Buen Camino from a complete stranger can absolutely make my day!
No conversation necessary
I fully understand that, but some people take those things as an invitation to start a conversation, and then I see myself stuck in a conversation I had no intention of starting LOL

Don't get me wrong: I will occasionally do those things too, but other times I really don't have the mental energy to deal with people

My post was just an explanation for why someone might not say buen camino, or smile, or interact at all

Hi Wippe,

Sad to hear of your experience - but good to hear you’re back on the road with your daughter soon.

In the end I’ve had a ‘Camino doughnut’ as far as company is concerned: company at the beginning and end and a bit empty in the middle! I have met some truly wonderful people though.

I’m sure when you walk you’ll remember your original experience and greet singletons along the way.

I hope you both have a wonderful time.
I forgot to say I wished a Buon Camino to everyone I passed on the way.

When I pass you on a Camino I will honour your feelings but still I will greet you with a quiet Buen Camino and a smile. I do not expect anything back but it would be against my nature not to do this.
:).

Last edited:

€149,-
@JaneyWindsor I appreciate your initial thoughts and follow-ups. I will be starting the same path in a couple days. I live in Porto and have noticed that I don't see anywhere near the number of peregrinos on the coast as I do traveling through the middle of the city. I have a number of friends who have done the central route and said I would meet people all the time, but your sentiments are more in line with what I've actually seen. I'm looking forward to the quiet time but we'll see how I feel after a few days!

@JaneyWindsor I appreciate your initial thoughts and follow-ups. I will be starting the same path in a couple days. I live in Porto and have noticed that I don't see anywhere near the number of peregrinos on the coast as I do traveling through the middle of the city. I have a number of friends who have done the central route and said I would meet people all the time, but your sentiments are more in line with what I've actually seen. I'm looking forward to the quiet time but we'll see how I feel after a few days!
Brian, have a wonderful Camino! Hope you enjoy the quiet time - and whatever else happens x

I’ll be joining with the Central after my next stop (Vigo) but then detour on the Variante Spiritual - which I think may be the path less trodden, again.
There are definitely more pilgrims on the Central route; the spiritual variant is actually quite popular because it is incredibly beautiful.

Hi Sue: Lynn Kelly, now living in Póvoa de Varzim. If you head out along the coast before I do (Sept 21), please contact me at (personal email address removed. Please use private message to contact other members)Be delighted to meet up with you, give you a shell charm and have a cup of coffee or some other beverage (morning or evening.)
And, let me know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funnily enough I'm in Vigo and also walking on my own. One thing I've noticed is the high proportion of people walking in pairs/couples - husband/wife boyfriend/girlfriend etc which influences the degree of interaction. On the other hand I've seen more pligrims in the last 6 days on the Coastal route than I saw on the VDLP, Salvador and Camino de Madrid combined. Hope you enjoy your remaining days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked from Lisbon and will arrive in Porto tomorrow, have a day off there and then start the coastal route after that. I too have found this so different from the camino Frances last year (which I found amazing and life changing and made friends for life). I am trying to remain positive and keep my fingers crossed that it gets better from Porto as more pilgrims join. So far though I have just had some really rubbish days. The walking (first 5 days out of Lisbon in particular) has been less than inspiring - it does get more interesting from maybe Golegã/Tomar but there is sooooo much road, the quiet country roads are ok but the busy highways are just scary. And the days are LONG. I’ve worked out 12-16 miles (20/25km) are enough for anyone, and already I’ve done half of my days well over 30km…. I’m exhausted. And if the path/way/roads aren’t inspiring it’s just a bit miserable. And then to the hostels/albergues... I thought I’d take more dorm rooms this time to meet people and keep costs down but yet again this evening I am the only female in a room of 14 beds. And none of the other male occupants are pilgrims walking the Camino. I don’t have a problem with sharing a room with either all men OR non pilgrims but it just doesn’t have the same vibe. No one talks to me, they all appear to be ‘workers’. It’s just all a bit lonely. Hopefully it will get better from Porto 😬

I keep praying that loneliness will ease, knowing we are all with you.
For me, God is my Best Friend, so, even though I saw very few humans for almost 3 weeks on CF last March April, I was never alone.
I'm wondering why there seem to be "non-pilgrims" ( not starting a definition debate!) staying in the albergues.

I keep praying that loneliness will ease, knowing we are all with you.
For me, God is my Best Friend, so, even though I saw very few humans for almost 3 weeks on CF last March April, I was never alone.
I'm wondering why there seem to be "non-pilgrims" ( not starting a definition debate!) staying in the albergues.
Sorry, I should explain, I’m staying in hostels (and ‘albergues’) 90% booked through booking.com so not specific pilgrim albergues (some just with the name I guess)… I did the same last year on the CF and I don’t think i came across a single person who wasn’t walking the Camino. in vila franca de Xira for example almost everyone else in the hostel which had a huge scallop shell on the front of the building, went to bed late, talked all night on their phones and then got up, rinsed the breakfast buffet to fill up their packed lunch boxes, then went off to ‘work’. Again, I’m not criticizing this at all, it was just not what I was expecting after doing the CF using the same booking technique last year. From Lisbon to Porto so far just hasn’t been what I expected… hopefully things pick up from tomorrow 😊

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have walked from Lisbon and will arrive in Porto tomorrow, have a day off there and then start the coastal route after that. I too have found this so different from the camino Frances last year (which I found amazing and life changing and made friends for life). I am trying to remain positive and keep my fingers crossed that it gets better from Porto as more pilgrims join. So far though I have just had some really rubbish days. The walking (first 5 days out of Lisbon in particular) has been less than inspiring - it does get more interesting from maybe Golegã/Tomar but there is sooooo much road, the quiet country roads are ok but the busy highways are just scary. And the days are LONG. I’ve worked out 12-16 miles (20/25km) are enough for anyone, and already I’ve done half of my days well over 30km…. I’m exhausted. And if the path/way/roads aren’t inspiring it’s just a bit miserable. And then to the hostels/albergues... I thought I’d take more dorm rooms this time to meet people and keep costs down but yet again this evening I am the only female in a room of 14 beds. And none of the other male occupants are pilgrims walking the Camino. I don’t have a problem with sharing a room with either all men OR non pilgrims but it just doesn’t have the same vibe. No one talks to me, they all appear to be ‘workers’. It’s just all a bit lonely. Hopefully it will get better from Porto 😬

Sorry to hear that it’s been tough. 🤗🤗🤗
I walked from Lisbon with a friend a few years ago and needed to take taxis, buses and trains to keep us with her - just couldn’t do some of those continuous 25 + Km days.
It gets busier after Porto (loved this town). We walked the central route which was great.
However I found that as soon as I crossed the bridge at Tui, into Spain, my body relaxed and felt at home. That’s when that familiar Camino feeling kicked in.
I loved the Portuguese, the food, the history, the monasteries; and had many amazing days and experiences - and it was also often just plain hard work.
However (#2) - pilgrimage isn’t always a bed of roses and I am really glad to have walked this route. 🙏❤️

Sorry to hear that it’s been tough. 🤗🤗🤗
I walked from Lisbon with a friend a few years ago and needed to take taxis, buses and trains to keep us with her - just couldn’t do some of those continuous 25 + Km days.
It gets busier after Porto (loved this town). We walked the central route which was great.
However I found that as soon as I crossed the bridge at Tui, into Spain, my body relaxed and felt at home. That’s when that familiar Camino feeling kicked in.
I loved the Portuguese, the food, the history; and had some wonderful experiences - and it was also often just plain hard work.
However (#2) - pilgrimage isn’t always a bed of roses and I am really glad to have walked this route. 🙏❤️
Thank you ☺️ Yes I’ve also had some amazing experiences so far and the Portuguese people have been lovely, even today, I went off the Camino path for about 2 minutes before a car stopped to ask me if I was going to Santiago because I was off the path. I can’t fault the local hospitality at all. Maybe it’s just the ‘difficult second book’ syndrome, in that I had such an amazing time on my first Camino that it hadn’t even crossed my mind that the second wouldn’t be just the same…. I will definitely reserve judgement until I finish again, just wanted to add my tuppence worth to the original post that i’m also finding that is a bit lonelier here 😉

G
This is interesting. I’m hiking the coastal route starting from Porto in mid-September and I’ve gone from worrying about being alone to worrying about too many pilgrims and no place to stay. I’ve decided to stop worrying about all of it and trust that the Camino will provi

Hit the nail on the head there,Christopher

You may want to reconsider your decision on only private accommodations and try out an albergue or two. - Or maybe just go over and make supper at an albergue. My teenage son and I often made too much food for dinner, at first by accident and then on purpose. We would serve dinner to a few peregrinos arriving after us. Sometimes dinners, sometimes just desserts. Or you could open a bottle of wine, and offer everyone in the kitchen a glass. It's a great way to meet people.
This is my favourite reply so far,on this thread.

G
This is interesting. I’m hiking the coastal route starting from Porto in mid-September and I’ve gone from worrying about being alone to worrying about too many pilgrims and no place to stay. I’ve decided to stop worrying about all of it and trust that the Camino will provi

And yours too.

Feel I could never do this camino from Lisbon.The solitude would be soul destroying for me. I like my own company,but not day after day after day.So,good luck to those who enjoy it.We're all different after all,but not for me thank you.

€60,-
Feel I could never do this camino from Lisbon.The solitude would be soul destroying for me. I like my own company,but not day after day after day.
I walked from Lisbon last year, prepared to be alone until I reached Porto. I mostly was for the first few days, but by Tomar I had met a few other pilgrims that I had meals with and walked with occasionally.

Yes I heard that from a friend that did the CF then the Portuguese- she said the Portuguese was very quiet and lonely.
Feel free to change if you’d like a more social experience.
Don’t lock yourself down not staying because it’s what you planned. Do whatever will make you happiest. 😁

Hi Sue,

Enjoy your Camino x
After a few days of tough walking I've found I get tired of the "Buen Camino" as im just trying to get through and push away the thoughts of "where is the nearest airport? I could be home in 2 days" 😀

Hi @JaneyWindsor , how are you doing? When do you walk in - or have you already done so?
As you can see, once you start a thread like this (especially an emotive one that so many people can relate to), they tend to take on a life of their own.......

Hi Peter et al,

I arrived in Santiago de C yesterday and am back in the UK today. Santiago was a wonderful place and I enjoyed it/the energy tremendously - and arriving after walking 300k (possibly the longest Camino Portuguese ever!

I’m currently sitting in the garden enjoying dinner (end of heatwave UK) and reflecting on my trip.

There were highs and lows (as you know), but overall I’m so glad I went alone. I’m recalling the wonderful people with whom I made a connection and how they made my trip so special. I’m recalling the beautiful places I walked through/visited (what a privilege). I’m also reflecting on how lucky I was to be able to make a trip like this: at 64 I wasn’t sure if I could do it (physically) but I waltzed into S de C (with no blisters) 😂

Thanks all for your support,

Jane x

What can you learn about yourself in these moments of loneliness? There is a nugget of gold in this moment you are having. I know it sucks, but potentially there is a breakthrough on the other side. <3

Hi Sue: Lynn Kelly, now living in Póvoa de Varzim. If you head out along the coast before I do (Sept 21), please contact me at (personal email address removed. Please use private message to contact other members)Be delighted to meet up with you, give you a shell charm and have a cup of coffee or some other beverage (morning or evening.)
And, let me know how it goes.
Hello Lynn Kelly - it’s Sept 19 and I made it to Porto! I plan to start my journey on Sept 21. Will you be in the Porto area these days?

I'm having an identical experience with Frances. Not one person has initiated a real conversation; in every instance, I've had to be the initiator. I'm a slow walker and everyone just blows past me. They might throw me a Buen Camino, although almost all don't say a word until I do.

I'm having an identical experience with Frances. Not one person has initiated a real conversation; in every instance, I've had to be the initiator. I'm a slow walker and everyone just blows past me. They might throw me a Buen Camino, although almost all don't say a word until I do.

@donnaonthego are you staying in albergues? In shared dorms? Have you had the chance yet to stay somewhere where they offer communal meals?

Last edited:
Hey Donna - hang on in there! The magic is definitely around you, but maybe you are temporarily slightly out of sync with it... stay mellow and breathe in the wonder of the camino and hopefully it'll come right back to you. As Simperegrina says, you might need it to help it along a bit and stay in albergues, partake of communal meals, smile at everyone when you stop for coffee - or even ask to sit at their table (I am brazen enough to do this, whenever I feel super-happy with how lucky I am to be on the camino). Also take the chances to talk with and listen to the hospis and anyone else living or working along the camino - they are often amazing people. Best wishes!

Last edited:

You bumped an old post.

But my 2c is depending on what stage you're at, people are well and truly "buen caminoed" out. Hang around roncevalles if you want to chat.

If there is something you want, a convo or human interaction, it's not enough to say "buen camino." You need to look at the person, say 'hey, would you like to stop for a while and chat?'

And the answer may be yes or no, but at least you made an effort.

If it's a no, don't think it personally. For many people a pilgrimage is a solo endeavour. Not everyone is looking to "get out of their comfort zone" by talking to new people.

And, then think.. what exactly do you hope to gain from the interaction? Make small-talk about where you're from, the weather, or the speed you're walking at? Are you replacing someone's solitude for the chatter they experience every Monday morning at work?

I'm just throwing a few thoughts out there. While doing my camino i was usually happy to speak with pilgrims along the way.

Are you staying in Alburgues?
And try joining in with Pilgrim dinners?
Sometimes on the track we’re meant to be alone maybe….
Check into busier coffee shops and start chatting with other (solo) pilgrims.
Good luck.
I walked with a solo lady for days until I got injured n she walked ahead. Just keep reaching out.

The opportunity to face alone-ness and loneliness is one of the Camino gifts. It was for me.
The Camino is a great space to feel how you feel - let I eventually pass through - and find out what is on the other side.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back