• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fire at Triacastela

HilaryF

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy route Aug/Sep ( 2016)
Camino Frances Sept (2017)
I am at Triacastela and there is a very large fire burning on the mountain behind the village. The locals say it will stop at the river, but it is very close to the village at the moment and the river is pretty low. I am not sure if it will be safe to walk to Sarria tomorrow and have been told that the area around Samos has been burnt out. Anyone have any information?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Galicia is burning, from around Lugo to around Vigo. 80 fires are rafing, 2 peole have died near Lugo. I am sire the authorities will be there to let pilgrims know if it is safe or not to walk tomorrow. My heart breaks for all these hamlets noone will be able to help and those who will lose theor homes. Don’t take any chances, listen to what the authorities have to say. Last thing they need is rescung pilgrims.

If it's any consolation there was a fire burning when we walked through there too years ago! I would expect someone official to make an announcement if there were any danger.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are in Villafranca de Biezo and it is very smoky this morning. Does anyone know if the fire is near the Camino.

Galicia is burning, from around Lugo to around Vigo. 80 fires are rafing, 2 peole have died near Lugo. I am sire the authorities will be there to let pilgrims know if it is safe or not to walk tomorrow. My heart breaks for all these hamlets noone will be able to help and those who will lose theor homes. Don’t take any chances, listen to what the authorities have to say. Last thing they need is rescung pilgrims.

It is very difficult to find out any information. Authorities are a bit thin on the ground as no one was here last night to give any information.I don't really want to start walking and have to turn back. The owner of our hotel was assuring us we were safe even as burning embers were raining down on our heads and a fierce fire was burning less than 300 metres away and being fanned by the strong winds! I think I will catch the bus into Sarria and see if I can find out some more information there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is very difficult to find out any information. Authorities are a bit thin on the ground as no one was here last night to give any information.I don't really want to start walking and have to turn back. The owner of our hotel was assuring us we were safe even as burning embers were raining down on our heads and a fierce fire was burning less than 300 metres away and being fanned by the strong winds! I think I will catch the bus into Sarria and see if I can find out some more information there.

That's a bit close for comfort! Good idea to get a bus. We're up at Fonfria and there was a small fire here last night, which was put out. Still very strong smoke smell though, more than that would have caused. That plus the howling wind has meant a fairly sleepless night! I was concerned about Triacastela before I read this, but now.. Not worth the risk I reckon. Most of those in this albergue have already left, which seems pretty reckless in pitch dark with fires around! No buses here so we'll try to share a taxi and just head straight for Sarria.

Good luck everyone - stay safe!

Here's where the fires are located --

DMNh-1rWsAAyhSS.jpg

I understood from El Pais last night that on the Francès, the area near Triacastela and Samos is the one affected, though on another map I've seen fires closer to Ponferrada than on this one. Clearly from the map though, it's the Portuguese Way that's seeing the worst of it.

This is the result of a combination of the current drought in North-West Spain & Northern Portugal and the buffeting of high winds from Hurricane Ophelia.

Though apparently, there is now some rain in the region which may calm things down a bit.

On the news right now: there were 200 fires in Galicia over the weekend, 125 which started yesterday (Sunday). Many are in habited areas, and arson is suspected. There are no suspects in custody.

My Spanish isn’t good enough to understand all the details, beyond that it’s bad.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
:(
what a mess! there was a lot of drought in those areas and the winds did not help to quench the fire. We hope there are no more deaths ... a thought

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I am at Triacastela and there is a very large fire burning on the mountain behind the village. The locals say it will stop at the river, but it is very close to the village at the moment and the river is pretty low. I am not sure if it will be safe to walk to Sarria tomorrow and have been told that the area around Samos has been burnt out. Anyone have any information?

I am in Las Herrerias as I type. Staying here for the night. Just walked from Villa Franca del Bierzo. Smoke very dense. O Cebreiro tomorrow. Any idea what conditions are like there.

I am also in Tricastela and concerned. No new information but confirming that locals are quite casual. They think tiny river is protection. A couple of hours ago, the light was wierd. Too dark for the time of day, and a sickly color. Then it suddenly brightened up. And air quality didn’t seem quite as bad. I had planned to lay over here tomorrow....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are in a town, stay there until the situation stabilizes. If you are on the Camino, watch the wind direction.

If you are downwind from the smell and smoke, GET TO THE NEXT VILLAGE OR TOWN quickly...like ASAP! This means the wind smell and smoke are coming towards you.

If you are upwind from the smoke and smell, continue to keep your head and nose on a swivel as you walk. Pay attention to the wind direction. Make haste towards the next open, developed area with other people around. There is safety in numbers.

Do NOT panic. Keep your wits. You will be fine.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Please take care all of you now on the road near the fires.
Try to follow the news and when you can't ask the locals .

Take good care,Peter.

Triacastela itself is probably safe, as these sorts of fires tend to affect wooded hillsides rather than such watered valley locations as Triacastela.

If anything, I'd mostly just advise following the longer valley route out of there rather than the more beautiful hillside forest one.

I'm more worried about the O Cebreiro to Triacastela stage TBH ...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Triacastela itself is probably safe, as these sorts of fires tend to affect wooded hillsides rather than such watered valley locations as Triacastela.

If anything, I'd mostly just advise following the longer valley route out of there rather than the more beautiful hillside forest one.

I'm more worried about the O Cebreiro to Triacastela stage TBH ...
I just received this message from the Albergue in Triacastela....Complexo Xacobeo
Assure him that the fire is not on the road to Santiago and is now stabilized, so they will not have any problems.

I just received this message from the Albergue in Triacastela....Complexo Xacobeo
Assure him that the fire is not on the road to Santiago and is now stabilized, so they will not have any problems.

My daughter just sent me a thorough technical fire website and screen shots of maps including one focused on air quality. Looks like rough air quality sailing to me, but I don’t have enough connectivity to assess. If the moderator or one stateside techie person sends me an email to macfarlane.ld@gmail.com, I will forward email with link, instructions and map screenshots that should then magically appear on this forum.

The news I read said that the majority of those fires in Spain & Portugal is arson. So the wind will dictate. Be very careful. BBC news

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are in Villafranca de Biezo and it is very smoky this morning. Does anyone know if the fire is near the Camino.
Sorry not currently in Spain. Had a FB message from a colleague who operates an albergue in Trabadelo. My recommendation - follow the valley/highway camino - the other two routes mentioned by Brierley should be avoided unless you have specific advice from the local authorities. Stay safe! Cheers

Here's where the fires are located --

DMNh-1rWsAAyhSS.jpg

I understood from El Pais last night that on the Francès, the area near Triacastela and Samos is the one affected, though on another map I've seen fires closer to Ponferrada than on this one. Clearly from the map though, it's the Portuguese Way that's seeing the worst of it.

This is the result of a combination of the current drought in North-West Spain & Northern Portugal and the buffeting of high winds from Hurricane Ophelia.

Though apparently, there is now some rain in the region which may calm things down a bit.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That is amazing. Kind of looks like the fire map here in California right now. As of today 41 have died during this one fire.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We left Triacastela yesterday. We decided to go through Samos and did encounter a few small fires burning by the trail after we got away from the highway. We weren’t in any danger and made it to Sarria safely. We heard from people that walked through San Xil that they didn’t see any flames. I don’t know if things have changed overnight. The locals in Triacastela didn’t seem too concerned.

That is amazing. Kind of looks like the fire map here in California right now. As of today 41 have died during this one fire.

:(

If that's 41 in California, it's similar to the death toll in Portugal and Spain. 38 in Portugal alone ... :(:(:(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am also in Tricastela and concerned. No new information but confirming that locals are quite casual. They think tiny river is protection. A couple of hours ago, the light was wierd. Too dark for the time of day, and a sickly color. Then it suddenly brightened up. And air quality didn’t seem quite as bad. I had planned to lay over here tomorrow....
It is a good sign if the locals are happy, on the other hand if the locals are running away - follow them!!! (in my days in the air force we had a T shirt that said "I am the bomb man - if you see me running - try and keep up)! Stay safe, buen camino

I am in Triacastela right now and the misty rain this morning has cleared the smoke.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Please, be careful. You can take a bus or taxi to Samos and stay at the stark but beautiful Refugio with the monks whose name escapes me at this moment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back