• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino First and "failed" Camino

jonesmrgrt

Time of past OR future Camino
12/02/2023 Lisbon to Santiago
Well I made two very long days from Porto to Barcelos following Senda Litoral to Vila do Conde and then to Arcos.

I took a lovely little detour to Santuário de Nossa Senhora da Franqueira on the day of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and met back up with another pilgrim right as we reached Amigos da Montanhas.

I then proceeded to be violently ill the entire night. We parted ways the next day because I could barely walk.

I've since checked in to a hotel, slept all yesterday and have been slowly nibbling and drinking water today. With very limited desire to be vertical.

What an amazing journey so far. I wish I hadn't gotten sick but those two days from Porto are amazing. Even though it poured almost all the way on my first day.

I won't make it to Santiago de Compestola this year with my time frame. I have only a little bit of regret for that. But the walking is beautiful. I forgot how much I miss just walking. I think everytime I saw a yellow arrows I felt joy and relief and such a brightness.

I'm hoping that tomorrow I feel better and will walk some more but we will see!

Despite my title I don't really feel this as a failure. Only a learning opportunity. How nice it is to meet others and stop and say hello and encourage them. How my tendency is to do too much and perhaps I would still be advised to slow down (I keep getting this lesson even when sickness doesn't force me to slow down!). How delightful it is to walk. How beautiful the world is.

Okay, that's enough for now although I could go on about how beautiful and lovely things are. I'm going to go back to bed and drink more water.

Thank you all for being here and providing all your stories. It's a comfort.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello from Newfoundland. I enjoyed reading your story but at the same time I feel for you in your predicament……you are taking exactly the right actions and assuming exactly the right attitude. I have walked the route you have taken so far on the Portuguese and am returning to repeat in March next year. Once you have your strength back, get vertical and continue, my only advice is not to push yourself too hard as you will have been weakened by the sickness for a while. The next obvious stage is to walk from Barcelos to Ponte de Lima which I did this year…..the guidebooks say it’s about 36kms but in my experience it’s much longer than that so beware! It’s a great walk but quite honestly the longest day‘s walking I’ve done in well over 2000kms on Camino trails. Bom Caminho and good luck !!

Last edited:
Well I made two very long days from Porto to Barcelos following Senda Litoral to Vila do Conde and then to Arcos.

I took a lovely little detour to Santuário de Nossa Senhora da Franqueira on the day of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and met back up with another pilgrim right as we reached Amigos da Montanhas.

I then proceeded to be violently ill the entire night. We parted ways the next day because I could barely walk.

I've since checked in to a hotel, slept all yesterday and have been slowly nibbling and drinking water today. With very limited desire to be vertical.

What an amazing journey so far. I wish I hadn't gotten sick but those two days from Porto are amazing. Even though it poured almost all the way on my first day.

I won't make it to Santiago de Compestola this year with my time frame. I have only a little bit of regret for that. But the walking is beautiful. I forgot how much I miss just walking. I think everytime I saw a yellow arrows I felt joy and relief and such a brightness.

Despite my title I don't really feel this as a failure. Only a learning opportunity. How nice it is to meet others and stop and say hello and encourage them. How my tendency is to do too much and perhaps I would still be advised to slow down (I keep getting this lesson even when sickness doesn't force me to slow down!). How delightful it is to walk. How beautiful the world is.

Okay, that's enough for now although I could go on about how beautiful and lovely things are. I'm going to go back to bed and drink more water.

Buen Camino and stop bellyaching about failure! In whose eyes? Abandon expectations and goals! You are on Camino. IT will come to YOU in its own sweet fashion as your are by now realising. Be gentle to yourself when necessary, this is neither sin or crime. Stop when you have to or even go home if you have to. The Camino will wait. This has happened to me on a number of occasions over the last 2o years :) and I've been a bit arrogant at times when returning to the spot that I had to and shouted " Yoo Hoo !" I'M back :) Keep on truckin!

Vaya

con Dios

Samarkand.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hang in there! There are no failures, just lessons learned. You can still have an amazing experience even if you have to skip a few stages. Take it easy as you recover, one step at a time. I, too, am that person always trying to do too much - yes a good lesson to learn, something to recall in your day-to-day life. On my last day of walking my first Camino, day 42 on the way to Muxia, I found I barely had energy to put one foot in front of the other, I was so incredibly tired in a way I hadn't felt the entire time, even though I had been feeling great the last several days. The day was misty, with low visibility, very few pilgrims, all going in the opposite direction. I was afraid I was getting sick, fortunately I wasn't, but what I did conclude was that this was my body's way of telling me to just slow down and enjoy these last hours on the Camino, reflect on the long journey and all of its lessons. Enjoy the rest of your pilgrimage!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Kool, life happens as we live it. Keep on keeping on....

No such thing as failure on a camino... "goal deferred" maybe, but you'll finish at some point in your own way. It happened to me on my second camino and again on my third. Sort of mulish (stubborn), I just start walking again after I recover a couple or three days... adjusting on the fly and setting new goals accordingly. Some of the best things in life happen when the best laid plans go awry.
Buen Camino

I hope you are feeling better by now. You came a long way, to Europe. I loved your clarification, not a failure. Spot on.
The typical greeting, roughly translated as onward and upward, is my wish for you. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola @jonesmrgrt By the sound of your symptoms I suggest is some type of food poisoning. Not all that unusual. The biggest issue is getting your " gut" back in action. Maybe visit a pharmacy and ask for some hydrolites to put the minerals etc back into your stomach. Its a pity you have lost a few days and will not be able to complete your camino. But hey it will be there when you come back in 2024 or 25 or 26. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I'm glad you found the first couple of days valuable. You certainly were pushing yourself. Porto to Barcelos was three days for me. If you can't make it to Santiago on this trip due to time constraints, you can always finish on another trip. Just get your credential stamped wherever you stop walking and again there on return before you commence walking again.

Buen Camino!

in April of 2023 I started in SJPDP and made it to Burgos. I developed severe right knee pain and was taken off the trail by ambulance. , We took a couple of days off to see if I would be able to continue, it was apparent after a couple of days it was more severe than a knee strain. I reluctantly packed it up and went home only to find out I had a proximal tibia fracture. . One year later, I just booked a return ticket to return to Burgos and finish.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My walking companion had daily stomach issues and those went away when she began drinking only bottled water.
You and friend are spot on. Whilst the locals can (and do) drink their "local water" visitors often find the mix of minerals and extra not to their liking. So yes drinking bottle water might be the go. Cheers

We took 4 days to get to Barcelos - and we were cycling!!
Get better, walk again when you can - it aint a race - its an event!! Good luck...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I am wondering how it went? And whether you have any reflections to share?

Look I see it this way ... life is full of people that would of , could of and should of and the fact is they didn"t so I see this as a camino ..call it an "entree camino '...see you on the road

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back