• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino (Aug-Sept 2024)

Nsk89

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2023
Hello, all!

I've been reading the forums here for a while now, but decided that it was time to introduce myself and ask for some advice for a first-time peregrina. I am finishing my PhD this summer, and my graduation present is to walk the Camino starting in León with my mom, a friend from the US (I'm an American), and a friend from Galicia. I'm (at least somewhat) familiar with Galicia: I spent a month there studying Galician. Frankly, I miss Galicia terribly and dream about going back everyday, so I'm very excited to do the Camino (Galicia is such a beautiful, magical place!). I speak Spanish (as does my mom), and I can understand some Galician, so re: languages, we won't have any issues.

But I have some questions in terms of how to get started. Do you have to officially register somewhere? How do you get those passports that are stamped along the route? And does anyone have any general tips in terms of planning our days, managing the walking, etc. We are planning on walking for 2 weeks and then taking an extra week to do some sight seeing (maybe go to Lugo and see the Sargadelos factory, As Catedrais beach, etc.)

Thanks so much for any help in advance! :)

Naomi

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No registration required. Pilgrim credentials can be acquired many places. You can order them from the American Pilgrims association:
You can pick one up at the cathedral or an albergue in León. Your friend may be able to go to the Pilgrim Office in Santiago or any number of places in Galicia to buy them.

As far as tips go - just keep reading on the forum, tips abound!

A two week walk from León to SdC is wonderful. Savour every moment as it will seem to be over before you know it. Plenty of sound advice on this forum about managing the walk. I would definitely recommend visiting Muxia and/or Fisterra if you have time. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you don't get your credentials here, perhaps have your friend go buy four in advance to bring to all of you? They are usually 2 euros each. I bought 15 last summer at the pilgrim office in Santiago for a student group trip over the winter break.

Get a guide book or download one of the Apps (Wise Pilgrim, Buen Camino) or use gronze.com for planning.

Hello, all!

I've been reading the forums here for a while now, but decided that it was time to introduce myself and ask for some advice for a first-time peregrina. I am finishing my PhD this summer, and my graduation present is to walk the Camino starting in León with my mom, a friend from the US (I'm an American), and a friend from Galicia. I'm (at least somewhat) familiar with Galicia: I spent a month there studying Galician. Frankly, I miss Galicia terribly and dream about going back everyday, so I'm very excited to do the Camino (Galicia is such a beautiful, magical place!). I speak Spanish (as does my mom), and I can understand some Galician, so re: languages, we won't have any issues.

But I have some questions in terms of how to get started. Do you have to officially register somewhere? How do you get those passports that are stamped along the route? And does anyone have any general tips in terms of planning our days, managing the walking, etc. We are planning on walking for 2 weeks and then taking an extra week to do some sight seeing (maybe go to Lugo and see the Sargadelos factory, As Catedrais beach, etc.)

Naomi
Well I could easily give you a million and one things to do post Camino! What sort of things were you looking for (beaches/cities/fishing villages/waterfalls/wildlife)?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, all!

Naomi
If you don't want to get your credencial (pilgrim passport) in advance, they can be purchased at the albergue in Leon run by the Benedictines.

In terms of planning, since you speak Spanish, I'd suggest a visit to Gronze.com (I'd probably advise it even if you didn't speak Spanish, but it is easier if you do :) ). You may also want to look at a guide book. The Brierley guide books are perennially popular. There are also the Village to Village guides and Cicerone also publishes guide books. I also like the Moon guide written by Beebe Bahrami. Apps may also be used in planning. Popular apps include Wise Pilgrim, Buen Camino, and Camino Ninja. Wise Pilgrim also publishes paper guides, and their content is also available here in the Online Guide (beta) you'll see in the menu on the top of this page. Finally, I always recommend Gitlitz and Davidson's The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: A Complete Cultural Handbook. That should be plenty to get you going with your planning.

Buen Camino!

Well I could easily give you a million and one things to do post Camino! What sort of things were you looking for (beaches/cities/fishing villages/waterfalls/wildlife)?

Open to anything -- all of Galicia has my heart. :) :)

I've been to the cities of Lugo, Vigo, Santiago, and Ourense. I've also been to Fisterra, which was beautiful (I saw someone suggested going here).

And thanks to everyone for the advice and great information!

Open to anything -- all of Galicia has my heart. :) :)
Ok so below is Asturias not Galicia, but if you are going to As Catedrais beach (which will be busy so go early or late), you could carry along after to Luarca (30min in car) which is a beautiful fishing town, great for lazy lunches by the harbour where you can see otters swimming (oh and it also has the coolest cemetery where Severo Ochoa is buried who was the noble prize winning dude who discovered DNA).
DSC05542.jpg
DSC04693-Pano.jpg
Then right near there is Playa Barayo which is my favourite beach in all of Spain, it has black sand, caves at one end and a little estuary at the other and is also a nature reserve (also otters here but I've not seen one here).
DSC05535.jpg

Right next to there is Puerto Vega which has a beautiful harbour and some great seafood restaurants (only about 3). Then from there about a 35min drive away you have Cascada de Oneta, which is a short walk to two beautiful waterfalls (there is actually a 3rd but I've not found it yet).
DSC05521-Edit.jpg
DSC05496-Edit.jpg

I've also stayed in a couple of really nice quirky places in Galicia if you are after ideas for that too! But I guess you will be staying with your friend. As you can tell all of NW Spain has my heart!

Attachments

• DSC08412.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ok so below is Asturias not Galicia, but if you are going to As Catedrais beach (which will be busy so go early or late), you could carry along after to Luarca (30min in car) which is a beautiful fishing town, great for lazy lunches by the harbour where you can see otters swimming (oh and it also has the coolest cemetery where Severo Ochoa is buried who was the noble prize winning dude who discovered DNA).
View attachment 165173
View attachment 165170
Then right near there is Playa Barayo which is my favourite beach in all of Spain, it has black sand, caves at one end and a little estuary at the other and is also a nature reserve (also otters here but I've not seen one here).
View attachment 165172

Right next to there is Puerto Vega which has a beautiful harbour and some great seafood restaurants (only about 3). Then from there about a 35min drive away you have Cascada de Oneta, which is a short walk to two beautiful waterfalls (there is actually a 3rd but I've not found it yet).
View attachment 165175
View attachment 165177

I've also stayed in a couple of really nice quirky places in Galicia if you are after ideas for that too! But I guess you will be staying with your friend. As you can tell all of NW Spain has my heart!

Beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing. Adding your suggestions to my "must see" list. Counting down the days until I can go back for the Camino!

My mom and American friend are going back a bit before me, so, when it's just me, I'll stay with my friend. But when the three of us are there, though, I wouldn't want to impose on my friend too much. All this is to say, very interested in your recommendations for places to stay in Galicia!

Thank you! :)

All this is to say, very interested in your recommendations for places to stay in Galicia!
Sure :)

So the two places are: Casa Grande de Bachao this is near to Santiago (10 min in car maybe) but basically in the middle of nowhere. It's an old monastery. It is amazing, the guy who runs it with his wife used to be a Michelin star chef. It wasn't that expensive for half board considering the beautiful place it is and the amazing food. It has a swimming pool with amazing views across the valley and it's very tranquil with huge grounds down to the river at the bottom of the valley.
FB_IMG_1709157374898.jpg
FB_IMG_1709157896248.jpg

And then Casa Quita Penas which is a beautiful lovingly restored Galician cottage near Ribadeo. It is the coolest place if that's your kind of thing. Just down the road is the Rio Eo which has otters, and amazing walks.

FB_IMG_1709157785999.jpgFB_IMG_1709157770875.jpgFB_IMG_1709157761635.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.