• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino - French way (March 21st - April 20)

Michelle113

Time of past OR future Camino
21 March - 21 April 2015
Camino Frances: March 21 - April 21, do i have enough to keep me warm?

My packing list

What's on me, (152cm, 56kg):

Beanie/cap
sunglasses
gloves

layer up for cold weather:

long sleeve (Jersey)
long sleeve shirt
fleece jumper (360gram)
jacket
tights and long pant (water proof)

1 pair sock liner
1 pair wool hiking socks
hiking boots
trekking poles

security wallet
digital camera
iphone

What's in my Slazenger Adventure 50L backpack (8kg aiming 6kg)

2 pairs of wool hiking socks
2 pairs of undergarments
2 pairs leggings
1 long sleeve heattech shirts
1 short sleeve heattech shirt
extra pair of gloves as spare?
sandals
rain coat (700gram)
(rain cover come with backpack)

small water bottle
Flash for hot drink
Camelback (guess i'll fill 1 liter for the road)
sleeping bag

plug adapter/converter
small torch light
Medication include blister kit
sunscreen
repellent
earplugs
big safety pins
small Swiss knife
toiletries (toothpaste, floss, shampoo
etc…)
quick dry light weight travel towel

journal (240 gram, 9cm x 14cm) and pens
tea bags
1 square plastic container

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The list looks fine to me, but I am not sure how you arrive at 8kg without food and water. Can you weight each item? That might help to find the culprit(s). Buen Camino! SY

The list looks fine to me, but I am not sure how you arrive at 8kg without food and water. Can you weight each item? That might help to find the culprit(s). Buen Camino! SY
Hi Syates, i pack my bag and weigh myself with it; and have been walking with it the past few weeks. (2 liters of water in the camelback)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
digital camera,iphone Both?

4 shirts and 4 pairs of socks?

Only one pair of liners?

Jacket, fleece and raincoat?

Flask for hot drink?

fleece blanket? Wear more clothes to bed?

journal and pens How big is Journal?

1 square plastic container?

Good luck reducing weight. Buen Camino

Hi Syates, i pack my bag and weigh myself with it; and have been walking with it the past few weeks. (2 liters of water in the camelback)

What I meant was a way to identify the heaviest items on your list, hence the question if you could weight them separately. A few more things, similar to what @Al the optimist said:

3 pairs of hiking socks/ liners each is enough
3 pairs of under wear is enough
jacket - if it is a very light weight windbreaker then yes, if not use the rain coat
3 water containers are too much
Sleeping bag alone is enough, leave blanket at home
Toiletries, first aid - only take the absolutely minimum

Hope that helps, Buen Camino! SY

What I meant was a way to identify the heaviest items on your list, hence the question if you could weight them separately. A few more things, similar to what @Al the optimist said:

jacket - if it is a very light weight windbreaker then yes, if not use the rain coat

thank you SYates! image.jpg

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
digital camera,iphone Both?

4 shirts and 4 pairs of socks?

Only one pair of liners?

Jacket, fleece and raincoat?

Flask for hot drink?

fleece blanket? Wear more clothes to bed?

journal and pens How big is Journal?

1 square plastic container?

Good luck reducing weight. Buen Camino

Hi Al,
Yes taking both digital camera & iphone

4 shirts (wearing one shirt and jersey, one spare, one short sleeve)
4 pairs of socks (wearing one pair, change one pair along the way; one pair for spare and one pair of toes socks)

2 pairs of liners, will be wearing one pair while walking.

Yes, Jacket & fleece at this time of the year and raincoat as i heard it will rain as we walk toward Santiago.

Flask for hot drink, I'm afraid it gets too cold on the journey!

fleece blanket? Wear more clothes to bed - good option :)

journal and pens How big is Journal? 9cm X 14cm

1 square plastic container - packing lunch?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances: March 21 - April 21, do i have enough to keep me warm?

My packing list

What's on me, (152cm, 56kg):

Beanie/cap
sunglasses
gloves

layer up for cold weather:

long sleeve (Jersey)
long sleeve shirt
fleece jumper
jacket
tights and long pant (water proof)

1 pair sock liner
1 pair wool hiking socks
hiking boots
trekking poles

security wallet
digital camera
iphone

What's in my Slazenger Adventure 50L backpack (8kg aiming 6kg)

3 pairs of wool hiking socks
2 pairs of undergarments
2 pairs leggings
2 long sleeve heattech shirts
1 short sleeve heattech shirt
extra pair of gloves as spare?
sandals
rain coat
(rain cover come with backpack)

small water bottle
Flash for hot drink
Camelback (guess i'll fill 1 liter for the road)
sleeping bag
fleece blanket

plug adapter/converter
small torch light
Medication include blister kit
sunscreen
repellent
earplugs
big safety pins
small Swiss knife
toiletries (toothpaste, floss, shampoo
etc…)
quick dry light weight travel towel

journal (240 gram, 9cm x 14cm) and pens
tea bags
1 square plastic container
Hy Michelle, your day of departure is almost there. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hy Michelle, your day of departure is almost there. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.
Thank you Peter, I'm excited about the journey but a tad concern about the COLD, as i'm from a tropical sunny island with average temperature of 25°C (77°F to 33°C (91°F)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used the notes app on my iPhone for my journal. One less thing to worry about carrying and keeping up with.

thank you SYates! View attachment 16917[/QUOTE]
SYates, my hooded jacket is polyester cover (down paded) as am concern about the COLD being from a tropical sunny island with average temperature of 25°C (77°F to 33°C (91°F); raincoat weight 700gram

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't think you will need a blanket if you are bringing a sleeping bag. Besides a lot of the albergues have blankets available.
Don't think you need two pairs of gloves.
Nothing wrong with bringing a camera in addition to your iPhone. I say bring it.
That journal doesn't look very large to me (its only the length of a pen) and don't know if they would make one smaller than that that is practical and has enough pages in it for your writings.
Maybe just carry the jacket and leave the fleece at home. Don't think you need both. That jacket looks warm and if you layer the rain jacket on top of it that would make it warmer as well as wearing a long sleeve shirt underneath.

I don't think you will need a blanket if you are bringing a sleeping bag. Besides a lot of the albergues have blankets available.
Don't think you need two pairs of gloves.
Nothing wrong with bringing a camera in addition to your iPhone. I say bring it.
That journal doesn't look very large to me (its only the length of a pen) and don't know if they would make one smaller than that that is practical and has enough pages in it for your writings.
Maybe just carry the jacket and leave the fleece at home. Don't think you need both. That jacket looks warm and if you layer the rain jacket on top of it that would make it warmer as well as wearing a long sleeve shirt underneath.

Thx Mark! i'll take out the blanket but still debating about the raincoat (700gram); not sure about the fleece (360gram) as i'm concern about the cold.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thx Al, i'll reconsider; i found out that my rain coat is 700gram! So i may just take a lighter one.
Definitely don't skimp on a raincoat. Make sure it's waterproof.
Put 2-3 twenty gallon, thick trash type bags in your pack as well. They are great to have and it may seem like overkill, but on a rainy day line the inside of your pack with one and put all your stuff in it and tie it off. Will be an added layer of waterproof protection for your gear. Believe me, speaking as someone who has had all the gear in his pack get soaking wet in the rain (not on the Camino), it sucks and takes forever to truly dry off. The trash bags are lightweight, and roll up small. Definitely use the thick, heavy duty ones. The cheap ones tear too easy.
Do you have a guidebook?

Ahh never thot of that, thx :)
I also used the voice memos app while walking and then transcribed later. It was interesting to me to hear at the end of the day my on the spot reflection of the sunrise or a village that I had passed thru.

Thx Mark! i'll take out the blanket but still debating about the raincoat (700gram); not sure about the fleece (360gram) as i'm concern about the cold.
Well, doubt if you will find yourself walking 20 km with a pack wearing both a fleece and that jacket. You will just get too hot and later after you are settled in your albergue and it's so cold outside that the jacket as well as long sleeve underneath isn't enough, do you really want to be outside? ha ha

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Well, doubt if you will find yourself walking 20 km with a pack wearing both a fleece and that jacket. You will just get too hot and later after you are settled in your albergue and it's so cold outside that the jacket as well as long sleeve underneath isn't enough, do you really want to be outside? ha ha

True dat :)

I also used the voice memos app while walking and then transcribed later. It was interesting to me to hear at the end of the day my on the spot reflection of the sunrise or a village that I had passed thru.

Love this idea! I'll just have to figure out how to use it :)

Definitely don't skimp on a raincoat. Make sure it's waterproof.
Put 2-3 twenty gallon, thick trash type bags in your pack as well. They are great to have and it may seem like overkill, but on a rainy day line the inside of your pack with one and put all your stuff in it and tie it off. Will be an added layer of waterproof protection for your gear. Believe me, speaking as someone who has had all the gear in his pack get soaking wet in the rain (not on the Camino), it sucks and takes forever to truly dry off. The trash bags are lightweight, and roll up small. Definitely use the thick, heavy duty ones. The cheap ones tear too easy.
Do you have a guidebook?

Thx Al. this is what i need to hear about the raincoat! the black trash bag is a great idea! i'm traveling with my neighbour and she has the guide book.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
it's heattech so maybe it's as good as the fleece?
Yeah, I like those synthetic tech shirts. They are great. Guess it all depends on one's cold tolerance and comfort level. If ditching the blanket knocks you pack level down to an acceptable weight then bring the fleece and the long sleeve shirt.
Maybe check around on this forum for anybody that has done a Camino in March-April and see what kind of weather they experienced.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yeah, I like those synthetic tech shirts. They are great. Guess it all depends on one's cold tolerance and comfort level. If ditching the blanket knocks you pack level down to an acceptable weight then bring the fleece and the long sleeve shirt.
Maybe check around on this forum for anybody that has done a Camino in March-April and see what kind of weather they experienced.

hi Mark, I really appreciate your great advise!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No prob. Living vicariously through someone else's Camino until I do it again, ha ha.

ha i've not walk the camino yet (very soon) but already thinking about doing it again (after this trip) in the near future with my husband :) Btw, we lived in Missouri for 5 years and South Carolina for 3 years; we sure miss our lives there.

ha i've not walk the camino yet (very soon) but already thinking about doing it again (after this trip) in the near future with my husband :) Btw, we lived in Missouri for 5 years and South Carolina for 3 years; we sure miss our lives there.
Yeah, we lived a couple of years in South Carolina, on the coast when I was growing up. I was very young at the time, but I do remember it was a beautiful area.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Michelle

You're on Camino now .

What amazing clear pictures you're posting. It made me go back to your original post.

How did your packing list work out - Feel ok? Weight ok?

Your photos are beautiful - thank you for posting them .

Annie
I pack too much, with food and water may be 10kg! A heavy load to climbed Roncesvalles (day 1), treacherous to Zubiri (day 2) and felt heavier on day 3 to Pamplona. I took out food and other stuff to lighten the load on day 4. Felt gd now

Last edited:
I pack too much, with food and water may be 10kg! A heavy load to climbed Roncesvalles (day 1), treacherous to Zubiri (day 2) and felt heavier on day 3 to Pamplona. I took out food and other stuff to lighten the load on day 4. Felt gd now
If you are aware (now) , of what you can do without , put some thought into packaging some of it and posting to Santiago care of Ivar to hold . Not expensive and you can collect when you get there. I believe post offices have something you can put it into to mail.

Most read last week in this forum

On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Ciao everyone, just a quick introduction. I'll be starting my Camino from SJPP on June 6th 2024 I've always been curious and for now I'm taking it with a grain of salt and cautious optimism...but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back