• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

first camino in october 2014

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Stephen, welcome to the forum. It very much depends on how much time you have, the Frances will take 34 days give or take. If you have that much time then I would say do it in one shot. Start easy and find your own pace.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Hi Stephen,
Let us know a bit more about you, such as: age, hiking experience, current preparations, boots broken in Y/N. Let's get the conversation going. You will find the Forum members ready and willing to assist in any way possible.
Buen Camino,

Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Go for it Stephen, in one go, as there is always a 'get out' strategy. Pack light - the real secret - but, more importantly, mind the feet! Boots/shoes and a pair of crocs, three pairs socks, three jocks, two shorts (or hiking slacks) and one very light slacks, three T-shirts, short pyjamas, one sleeved T-shirt, a light fleece, with as much as possible in polyester or other quick-drying material: a travel towel, rain-gear, sleeping bag liner and your personal stuff, e.g. dental, limited number of toiletries, any personal medicine, a small first aid kit, EU health insurance card, phone, charger and adaptor, and not a lot more; don't forget a water container.
Take a tip from me: spray rucksack (inside and out) and sleeping bag liner with something with permethrin in it, e.g. R.I.P. Fleas, in case you encounter bedbugs (rare but it does happen). Another tip, don't take too many books or other heavy items: perhaps a small journal and pen; you don't really need a guide book, with 'oceans' of info available on the internet, not least mundicamino and gronze
You will become fitter as you go, you will really enjoy the challenge, meet wonderful people or enjoy solitude (or a mixture), and all the rest about Northern Spain.

Hi there, i am stephen from Glasgow Scotland. I starting my first camino frances in october 17 2014. Should i walk the entire camino first time or break it up over 2 years. Any advice would be great.
Hi Stephen!
I'm Lucinda from Canada :) I'm starting my camino at the end of September - this is my first one and I am planning on doing the whole 800km in one go - I think you should just go for it (if you have the time to do so)!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Me again! I forgot to mention, as part of a proposed packing list (presuming you are carrying your own rucksack), 10 clothes pages (or safety pins), a few light strings to hang drying items on rucksack and to use as a makeshift washing line when necessary, a small spoon to eat your yogurt or tin of tuna in a picnic lunch, a small knife to cut cheese, fruit or decorate your stick. Incidentally, a pocket knife with a blade of no more than 6cm is permissible through airport security in the EU. You might consider mozzie spray, a small tube of ointment for insect bites, a small bottle of iodine for scratches.....and don't forget, once you have money in your pocket you can buy anything you need. Drybags are less of a noise nuisance in a dorm than plastic bags - a few of which you should take, not least to keep your phone and documents dry. Think about a sun hat too, sun cream, a small torch, a small scissors (also permissible through EU airport security), spare specs if you use such, and a copy of the data page of your passport.......and don't forget a donkey to carry all of the above and the kitchen sink!!!!

Last edited:
Me again! I forgot to mention, as part of a proposed packing list (presuming you are the real pilgrim and carrying your bag), 10 clothes pages (or safety pins), a few light strings to hang drying items on rucksack and to use as a makeshift washing line when necessary, a small spoon to eat your yogurt or tin of tuna in a picnic lunch, a small knife to cut cheese, fruit or decorate your stick. Incidentally, a pocket knife with a blade of no more than 6cm is permissible through airport security in the EU. You might consider mozzie spray, a small tube of ointment for insect bites, a small bottle of iodine for scratches.....and don't forget, once you have money in your pocket you can buy anything you need. Drybags are less of a noise nuisance in a dorm than plastic bags - a few of which you should take, not least to keep your phone and documents dry. Think about a sun hat too, sun cream, a small torch, a small scissors (also permissible through EU airport security), spare specs if you use such, and a copy of the data page of your passport.......and don't forget a donkey to carry all of the above and the kitchen sink!!!!

While I love the suggestion about the 'noiseless' bags (I have made a point of purchasing nylon net bags this year to prevent waking others up in the morning - less guilt!) I cannot help but cringe about the "Real pilgrim" bit. Way back in the days "pilgrims" walked barefoot or just about, in rags, or just about, and had nothing to be carried on their bags. And they certainly didn't ensure they covered the "full distance' in "X number of days". They walked and often never came back home. Is that what being a 'real pilgrim' is?

My take on it is that as long as you are making every possible effort to make it along the way, regardless of how far you can make it with the time your work/family responsibilities impose, you are a "true" pilgrim. Do I consider people walking in the Galician albergues off a bus with their 2 fully wheeled suitecases when they never tried walking 100 meters out of pure comfort? Nope. Do I admire those who are elderly, struggling to walk with hip or knee pain due to old age? Yes, wether or not their bags are being carried for them. Make the effort, chalenge yourself, and do not condem others for not meeting your criteria, until you walk in their shoes.

If you have a limited number of days, take it easy, do not push yourself into blisters and tendonitis, and come back next year where you left off. The Camino wil then inhabit you for a full year and live within you longer. If you have all the time in the world ... take it easy, enjoy every minute of it, avoir blisters and tendonitis, and let those memories inhabit your for years to come.

Just breath in and enjoy.

While I love the suggestion about the 'noiseless' bags (I have made a point of purchasing nylon net bags this year to prevent waking others up in the morning - less guilt!) I cannot help but cringe about the "Real pilgrim" bit. Way back in the days "pilgrims" walked barefoot or just about, in rags, or just about, and had nothing to be carried on their bags. And they certainly didn't ensure they covered the "full distance' in "X number of days". They walked and often never came back home. Is that what being a 'real pilgrim' is?

My take on it is that as long as you are making every possible effort to make it along the way, regardless of how far you can make it with the time your work/family responsibilities impose, you are a "true" pilgrim. Do I consider people walking in the Galician albergues off a bus with their 2 fully wheeled suitecases when they never tried walking 100 meters out of pure comfort? Nope. Do I admire those who are elderly, struggling to walk with hip or knee pain due to old age? Yes, wether or not their bags are being carried for them. Make the effort, chalenge yourself, and do not condem others for not meeting your criteria, until you walk in their shoes.

If you have a limited number of days, take it easy, do not push yourself into blisters and tendonitis, and come back next year where you left off. The Camino wil then inhabit you for a full year and live within you longer. If you have all the time in the world ... take it easy, enjoy every minute of it, avoir blisters and tendonitis, and let those memories inhabit your for years to come.

Just b
reath in and enjoy.
I would like to say that i am 45 years of age and not an experienced walker. I am planning on doing a few munros in scotland over the next few weeks. I am going to hopefully walk the entire camino in frances in one go. I hope i fit enough and the feet are ok. I would just like to thank you all for your advice and support. Take care stephen milligan.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My humble apology to Anemone del Camino and anybody else I offended with my 'real pilgrim' reference: I should have been more careful, with my 'tongue in cheek' reference. I accept fully that we all walk a camino for our own reasons, and we derive benefits in various ways - spiritual, physical, touristic, culinary, emotional, linguistic and lots more.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My humble apology to Anemone del Camino and anybody else I offended with my 'real pilgrim' reference: I should have been more careful, with my 'tongue in cheek' reference. I accept fully that we all walk a camino for our own reasons, and we derive benefits in various ways - spiritual, physical, touristic, culinary, emotional, linguistic and lots more.
Hi there, after careful thought and talking to family and friends, i have decided to walk the camino next year 2015. There many reasons why i have decided not to do it this year.
I dont think i am fit enough and about 3 stone over weight. I think i will need to lose the weight first, before i attempt it. I will be ready in oct 2015. Take care stephen milligan.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back