• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is great Rachnapier! The best advice that comes to mind is just let it happen. Accept the things you cannot change and take it as it comes and be open to the experience. It always works out. I know you think you know what you signed up for but the reality can be quite different. At least it was for me and I believe it was/is a good thing.

Buen Camino and safe travels.

Mike

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Congratulations on your upcoming Camino!
You are going to be joining many first timers, all equaly nervous and exited.
Help one another, share laughters, meals and blister bandages.
Make friends of all ages, sing a song, take photos, collect memories.
Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There's nothing wrong with a little nervousness, but I am sure you'll be fine. I remember being very nervous before starting my first camino. However, I told my self that in the end it is just a walk, and I wouldn't like it I could always skip it & and do something else (like sightseeing or drinking beer in Spain). It was reassuring thought for me, stopped me from being too nervous, and it kept things in perspective. (By the way, I didn't skip, and kept on walking ever since, but that's another matter). Buen Camino !

Rachnapier,

That was me on Wednesday night just gone. The 'what the hell have I got myself into' moment.

The best advice I can give you is to leave any preconceptions at home. This is your Camino - it won't match anybody else's experience. No guide book, friend, forum contributor (no matter how helpful or well intentioned) can really describe the feeling of getting on the plane with so many butterflies in your stomach you could nearly fly there yourself; or the relief of falling into a bed the night before you start to walk.....and excitement and nerves in equal measure making you toss and turn; or the sense of adventure when you walk out the door and find the first arrow; or the eerie feeling of a mystical line of pilgrims creeping through a village in the early morning when the mist is still down; or the spine tingling delight when the sounds of a local piper welcome you to a tiny hamlet...

New experiences, new delights, new pains and aches. Old memories, long forgotten hurts and pleasures, new friends, laughs, stumbles, sunburn, tiredness, elation, delight when you reach today's destination, bittersweet realisation you are one step, one meal, one day closer to the end of this chapter - however long it takes....

And today, my day 3, twice I heard myself say 'next time I'll......'.

Very little of the past 3 days has been as I expected, some much better than I could have hoped for, some disappointments. Each day has followed a similar structure - wake, eat, walk, drink, walk, chat, walk, eat, sleep, repeat but each day has been different.

I don't know if you'll love or hate your experience - I've met people who have expressed both feelings, but I can tell you you'll never forget it.....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Enjoy enjoy enjoy...my top tips
Stop stressing ....there is nothing to stress about.
You will not be alone. I too went to the Camino alone....got off the plane alone ....got on the bus with my first two very lovely new friends....having waved off another five in a taxi from the airport.
First few days don't push too hard as you may end up with blister or worse still tendonitis...slow and steady ....there is no race.
Cavilon a barrier cream/ spray ...No blisters in six weeks....take your socks off every couple of hours to give your feet some air.
Most useful item turned out to be a cotton scarf which was worn wet on scorching hot days.... and a wet hat ...I hate hats but did need it on this walk.....I carried two litres of water....one to drink and one to wear. 30 degrees + May 2015. Drink Drink Drink.
What everyone says about bag weight is true.....sent loads onto Santiago c/o Ivor. Pack light.
Don't be afraid to leave friends ...those who walk faster/slower than you....as you will make others. I found my initial group would disappear and reappear a few days later.
I did find sleep deprivation a bit of a problem initially but as the days wore on it became less of a problem and if really tired occasionally treated myself to a single room.
Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walk alone as well. You are going to have a great time.

My advice:

- Rest when you need to. But don't rest too long - your muscles will start to get sore.
- Don't stress out when someone who is WAY older than you passes you.
- Listen for bird songs and cow bells. It is so peaceful on the Camino.
- Pilgrims are friendly - ask for help if you need it.
- Take a pain reliever, don't worry if it feels like your muscles are dying at the end of the day - they will feel better in the morning.
- Watch for bikes - they may not see you around corners etc
- Take a nap when you get into town
- get some type of walking staff to carry along. As a solo walker, it made me more confident in the lonely wooded sections.
- expect an internal battle on whether you can or can't keep going. You will be amazed at what your body is capable of.
- take some type of energy bar along in case you get hungry.
- water bottles are important. There are stretches where you may not be able to find water right away. It is worth the weight (and don't worry about bathroom stops - there are plenty of places - and on a related note, never pass a bathroom by without stopping.
- figure out your footwear. Blisters are the worst!

You will have a great time. Post your reflections when you get back so we can all learn from it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am with you, flight is booked bags are in packing mode now will be headed out for my journey in August. Best advice I've gotten so far 1,000 mile socks and wear sunscreen
And don't forget your ear plugs. ;)

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

*You* might be nervous, but I'm so jealous, I can't see straight! Wish I was leaving tomorrow.

Here's something I heard again and again and found to be true. When my muscles or joints started to ache, often drinking some water made it go away. Not my foot pain, mind you, but other kinds of aches. Not sure how that works, but it does.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My advice............Step out of the front door, go to the airport, fly to Spain and enjoy every moments of your time there. This is truly a life changing event ! Don't overburden yourself with overthinking this one.......
Thoughts on going solo..........Make it an absolute effort every day there to introduce yourself to 5 people per day along the trail. (If you want to meet and interact with others). By doing so you will be assured of company along the way and by the time you are in Santiago the party will only be merrier. Buen Camino !

I have my flight booked, my bag packed and I think I know what I've signed up for.. or do I? This will be my first Camino and I'm doing it solo. As excited as I am I can't help but feel nervous.. Any advice for a nervous pilgrim?
Is a good thing and use that "energy" to get you through the first 3 days!! By then you will have your Camino legs and a sense of hostel life!!

Solo is great! You owe yourself the luxury of making decisions that suit you.

I met people who were really annoyed with others they were walking with. Isn't that odd?
If someone becomes uncomfortably friendly or rude, don't hesitate to look them in the eye and let them know you are going to be walking alone for awhile!

Trust your gut. If something or someone feels wrong, gravitate away.

Likewise, if you find a village you love, linger longer! why not? two nights is fine if you really love a place.

Drink a lot of water. Smile often, and notice nature. Watch the sun's movement across the sky, and know when to start thinking about stopping for the day.

It's not a race! You don't need to keep up with anyone. Go at YOUR pace. I began my first camino with a group who arrived at Santiago de Compostela a full six days before I did. Their feet were a mess, they had had horrible blisters, they had sock rashes.

Know your own body, and enjoy some nerves. They are healthy and hopeful and full of anticipation!

I have my flight booked, my bag packed and I think I know what I've signed up for.. or do I? This will be my first Camino and I'm doing it solo. As excited as I am I can't help but feel nervous.. Any advice for a nervous pilgrim?

No I don't have any advice because I feel nervous too :) I've just added it all up and I have walked roughly 8000 km on Caminos for the last 5 years. I'm about to embark on a new pilgrimage and yes, like you, I'm nervous! It's a new journey every time. :cool:
Take it as it comes, look after yourself and remember you don't HAVE TO do this. It's your choice therefore you're free. :)
Enjoy!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back