• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jruder

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2024
Hello!
September 2024 will be my first Camino. My friend and I are planning on walking the Camino de Madrid. We only have 7 days so the plan is to get as far as we can and then train back to Madrid for our flight back home. I’m anticipating a day in Madrid to rest up after our flight and do some sight seeing, 4 days to Segovia and then spend some time there sight seeing and local hiking, then back to Madrid. We do not feel the need to complete a specific number of miles but just want to experience the culture and area as leisurely as we can, given that we only have a week. I’d appreciate any suggestions anyone might have about the Madrid route.
Thanks! JRuder

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I would advise staying at Ray and Rosa's acogida in Manzanares el Real. I'd also suggest brushing up on your Spanish before you go, as there isn't much English spoken on the Camino de Madrid.

What led you to choosing this route for your first Camino? Most of the people I met who walked this as their first Camino were living in Madrid. :)

Hello!
September 2024 will be my first Camino. My friend and I are planning on walking the Camino de Madrid. We only have 7 days so the plan is to get as far as we can and then train back to Madrid for our flight back home. I’m anticipating a day in Madrid to rest up after our flight and do some sight seeing, 4 days to Segovia and then spend some time there sight seeing and local hiking, then back to Madrid. We do not feel the need to complete a specific number of miles but just want to experience the culture and area as leisurely as we can, given that we only have a week. I’d appreciate any suggestions anyone might have about the Madrid route.
Thanks! JRuder
You picked a great route for your first Camino, however that day you walk into Segovia was the toughest one of the Madrid for me. Look at the Camino de Madrid section under “Routes in Spain” in this forum and there’s lots of good information.

I wasn’t lucky enough to have walked the Francis 20 years ago like I wanted for my first Camino , (raising a family took priority) but I wonder if the Madrid now is somewhat like the Francis was back then. The old-timers can wade in here maybe.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
train back to Madrid
That might be easier said than done. Between Segovia and Madrid there are ample suburban train services, but north of Segovia there are fewer people and hence less public transport. Buses or a local taxi might be a better bet.

I would advise staying at Ray and Rosa's acogida in Manzanares el Real. I'd also suggest brushing up on your Spanish before you go, as there isn't much English spoken on the Camino de Madrid.

What led you to choosing this route for your first Camino? Most of the people I met who walked this as their first Camino were living in Madrid. :)
With the limit on time we did not want to spend a day traveling from Madrid to get to another starting place. Just thought it would be simpler to start close to where we would fly into. Also wanted to avoid major crowds.

You picked a great route for your first Camino, however that day you walk into Segovia was the toughest one of the Madrid for me. Look at the Camino de Madrid section under “Routes in Spain” in this forum and there’s lots of good information.

I wasn’t lucky enough to have walked the Francis 20 years ago like I wanted for my first Camino , (raising a family took priority) but I wonder if the Madrid now is somewhat like the Francis was back then. The old-timers can wade in here maybe.
I am a bit concerned about that trek into Segovia. What is the change in altitude, do you know? I backpacked the Grand Canyon last spring and even though it was tough I was fairly well prepared for it. I’m hoping with training this will be doable. Is there any way to break that walk into Segovia from Cecedilla into two days?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That might be easier said than done. Between Segovia and Madrid there are ample suburban train services, but north of Segovia there are fewer people and hence less public transport. Buses or a local taxi might be a better bet.
That’s good to know. Thank you

I am a bit concerned about that trek into Segovia. What is the change in altitude, do you know? I backpacked the Grand Canyon last spring and even though it was tough I was fairly well prepared for it. I’m hoping with training this will be doable. Is there any way to break that walk into Segovia from Cecedilla into two days?

Take a look on Gronze.

Looks like a good climb........ with no option to split the day.

madrid.jpg

@Jruder There is an option that breaks Cercedilla to Segovia into two days and it is clearly shown on the Gronze map above. First day is Cercedilla to La Granja de San Ildefonso. Stay the night in Ildefonso (expensive but doable) then next day walk Ildefonso to Segovia. I think that it adds extra distance. I also think that @David Tallan did it and so he can probably give a definite answer.

I haven't done that bit, although I have walked the Madrid last year, and so my opinions are not definitive.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I broke the day into two with a detour to La Granja and a visit to the royal palace and gardens. There isn't an albergue there, but there is an inexpensive pension used to receiving pilgrims (as used to it as anyone on the Madrid).

You will certainly avoid crowds on the Madrid. You will pretty much avoid other pilgrims altogether. Two thirds of the time I was the only pilgrim in the albergue. In my 19 days walking it, I only saw two other pilgrims more than once. So, while you will avoid the "crowds" that many seem to warn against, you also may find yourself avoiding the community of fellow pilgrims from around the world that many find one of the most valuable parts of the experience.

I didn't have any more than the usual training before tackling this Camino and the Fuenfría pass. It wasn't too bad (and it was rainy and wet). It is one of the highest passes on a Camino in Spain, but I think you start the climb at an altitude, so the elevation gain, while certainly noticeable, isn't one of the hardest.

I also stayed at Las Dehesas the night before the climb, at the youth hostel, which shortened the day a little bit, something to consider if you don't want to detour to La Granja.

Thanks so much for all of this information and advice. There are lots of things to consider!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Again thanks for all of the advice. We are second guessing our choice of Madrid for our first endeavor. The lack of English speaking people will be difficult for us. I’ll post questions about other options in another thread.

Again thanks for all of the advice. We are second guessing our choice of Madrid for our first endeavor. The lack of English speaking people will be difficult for us. I’ll post questions about other options in another thread.
I have locked this thread. @Jruder has a new thread here: Choosing a route

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.